Translate

Saturday, February 10, 2024

Memories Of Hearing Busta Rhyme's 1996 Hip Hop Record "Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check" When It First Was Released

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest Update -Feb. 11, 2024

This is Part III of a four part pancocojams series on Busta Rhymes' 1996 Hip Hop record "Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check". 

This post presents some examples of commenters' memories of hearing Busta Rhymes' Hip Hop song "Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check" in 1996 or the late 1990s.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/02/what-i-got-you-all-in-check-really.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. That pancocojams post showcases a clean YouTube video of the original version of "Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check". This post also presents a link to the official (explicit) video of that record. The summary of that video presents the complete lyrics for that 1996 Hip Hop record.

That post also includes brief information about Busta Rhyme from his Wikipedia page. 

That pancocojams post also provides my general interpretation of the sayings "got you in check" and "got you all in check" and my interpretation of those sayings as they refer to Busta Rhyme's 1996 Hip Hop record with that title.

In addition, that post also presents quotes from several online sources about the meaning of the saying "got you all in check" as Busta Rhymes uses it. 

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/02/information-about-people-characters-and.html for Part II of this pancocojams series. That post presents information about real or fictitional people or characters mentioned in Busta Rhymes' 1996 record "Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check". This post also presents some explanations of certain things or terms that are included in that record.

In addition, that pancocojams post also includes my speculation about likely sources for two other lines in Busta Rhymes' 1996 song "Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check"

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/02/examples-of-bad-breath-you-need-winter.html for Part IV of this pancocojams series. That post presents several memories that commenters on two YouTube discussion threads shared about a 1990s children's insult rhyme that was inspired by Busta Rhyme's record "Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check".

The content of this post is presented for cultural and entertainment purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Busta Rhymes for his musical legacy. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post. 

****
Click 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFrl7rnCx4A for "Busta Rhymes ft. Ol' Dirty Bastard - Woo-Hah!! Got You All In Check (The World Wide Remix)", published by Busta Rhymes, Sep 20, 2019-official music video [Explicit] (1996) 


****
WARNING - Busta Rhymes' "Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check record and official video (as well as the official video of the remix of that song whose link is given above) includes profanity and a form of the "n word".

****
MEMORIES OF THE 1996 BUSTA RHYMES' RECORD "WOO HA!! GOT YOU ALL IN CHECK"
Pancocojams Editor's Note:
These are selected examples of these types of comments from that discussion thread.

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only

I use amended spelling for profanity and for what is commonly known as "the n word". Words with that amended spelling are identified by asterisk at the end. 

From 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzvQO2LcA4 "Busta Rhymes ‎- Woo-Hah!! Got You All In Check (Official Video) [Explicit]", published by Busta Rhymes, May 8, 2020

2020

1@FARID1870
'when this came out in 1996 I was floored! nothing was like this back then. Thanks to YouTube, Gen Z could see how marvelous the golden age of hiphop was."

**
2. @2006glg
"Living it was the best. Driving home after games in '96 in my black Mazda Protege , all windows and moon roof open,  dropping off my friends one by one and blasting BussaBus,this one on repeat."

**
3.@Seattle206723
"Saw this on Yo MTV raps, and I first was like who is this? Then it flipped and I was stunned!  @ 1:52 I was like this Ni-qa* crazy! I couldn’t stop watching, and I’m the type ta turn the channelπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

He grabbed my attention in an unexpected way! This was ah brand new way of doing rap at that time! Genius $h-t*!"
-snip-
*These words are fully spelled out in this comment.

**
4. @alijordanx8954
"This video had me jumping on my mom bed when I was a 5 year old back in the 90’s πŸ˜‚"

**
Reply
5. @KM-ql4eb, 2021
"This song is like chugging Red Bulls and eating Skittles. I can see little 5 year old you jumping on the bed, haha!"

**
6. @mirgill1
"Man, I zone out remembering  hearing this single for the first time on Hot 97 back then and getting the album. God, I'm looking for a time machine !!!"

**
Reply
7. @patriciasaluti5084
"Those were the days. 90s Wow Fun."

**
Reply
8. @rose4490
"Everything was so much more real, and original back in the 90s."

**
Reply
9. @JohnGolf123,2022
"Im 42 now, 16 when this came out. Pop over to the UK and pick me up in the time machine too bro. The 90's were πŸ”₯."

**
10. @kevinkelley4376
"High School... Music was fun back then..😏❤"

**
Reply
11. @kayshawnsimmons6822
"FACTS! We Got The  End Of The Golden Age of Rap"

**
12. @gustavofigueroa3873
"Not only is his rhyme ability still on next level but his energy and charisma just added to it. Cool dude will chop it up with you from what I heard. He did get me kicked out class back in the day lol. My homie let me hear this in class when it first came out, won't lie i got caught up, did the "Woo haaa!"  Interrupted my science teacher and was sent to the office."

**
13. @mattdawg83686
"All I remember in ‘96 was I heard WOO-HAH! from the kitchen and thinking what the f--k* was that, because it was on point!"

**
Reply
14. @yanikeonpurpose, 2021
"Yo same! I remember first hearing it & feeling like I was lifting off into space. Lool my mind was trying to work out what it was listening to. English yes.. but it all sounded alien. It was so next level!!!"

**
15. @casmo87
"I was just a kid back then but seeing this vid made me think he was a major madman lol - he's so energetic and hyped. Loved the whole warped style of the vid too"

****

2021

16.@VengefulBatz
"I had the WHITIEST white home room teacher in high school.

He use to play Woo hah in class, suddenly there’s like 5 of us started WOO HAHH!"

**

17.@DaPhunkPhenomena
"Like a lot of people here , I wish the whole "Everything Remains Raw" video to be released if it has ever existed....

Concerning "Woo-Hah !!" I remember exactly where I was (in my car, by the way) while listening to it on the radio for the first time, telling myself "WTF is this crazy-a** song ?!"

I didn't even like it at first (even if I enjoyed the rhythm of course) but I was strucked by this dissonant sound I've never heard before in a Hip-Hop song.

Now it's a classic ans I guess the Gal McDermot sample was a very wise and, in the same time, very innovative idea from producer Rashad Smith !"
-snip-
This is the way that this comment is written in that discussion thread.
"Everything Remains Raw" is the clip of a song by Busta Rhymes that plays  in the beginning the official video of his "Woo Ha!! (Got You All In Check" song.

**
18. @blackmuzunguu4525
"This has bought back so many memories. Used to listen to this album on my minidisk player that i saved forever up for. MEHNNNNN THIS ALBUM.....We were so privileged to be around when this music was released"
-snip-
 "MEHNNNNN" is a contemporary vernacular spelling of the word "man" when it is used as an interjection. "Mane" A very commonly used contemporary vernacular spelling of the interjection "man".

**  
19. @rjcupid
"This song was revolutionary and blew our minds when it came out. It brings me right back to 1996 and my high school days every time I hear it. For some reason I always think of Liquid Swords by GZA when I hear this song because that album came out a few months before this song. "The Coming" and "Liquid Swords" were the big albums for us at that specific time. We were so lucky to grow up back then!"

**
20. @mickypixie
"Miss this guy!  Love how nuts he is and doesn’t take himself so seriously πŸ˜‚

MTV back in the day = busta rhymes.

Today where I’m from ( uk ) rap is too political and try too hard at acting tough.

I come back every now and then for this guy to put a big smile on my face , love him!"

**
21. @joedematteo5163
"Didn't really love Busta when he first came out, after 20 some years later. One of the best spitters in the game!"

**
22. @scharifranklin4741
"When I say this was my favorite video as a kid couldn’t wait for some body to order this on the box"
-snip-
Here's information about The Box
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Box_(American_TV_channel)
"The Box, originally named the Video Jukebox Network, was an American broadcast, cable and satellite television network that operated from 1985 to 2001. The network focused on music videos, which through a change in format in the early 1990s, were selected by viewer request via telephone; as such, unlike competing networks (such as MTV and VH1), the videos were not broadcast on a set rotation.

The network was distributed on cable and satellite providers, with additional carriage on over-the-air UHF television stations (mainly on low-power outlets);[1] most of these stations, which later became affiliates of MTV2 following the shutdown of The Box's US operations"...

**
23. @christiancordero7978
"Immediately got the album after this video dropped. Have almost all his albums."

**
24. @ofadetergentsud
"When I was a kid I couldn't wait for winter so I could try and compete with Busta's winter fashion sense. XD"

**
25. @dennisjanssen3513
"This track, this track was what got me interested in hiphop, I grew up with his sh-t*.  Still now the lyrics and can rap it along,  Im a dutch guy that is 43 right now.  I was 18 years old then.  Man, I still think Busta is the king that never really got the respect he deserves.  He should be with all the big ones. He makes me laugh and just gives me so much good energy.  Love you, Busta! The greatest rapper ever!  In my opinion.

****

2022

26. @RekhaKaula
"I'll never forget when this record came out. Busta hit harder than a meteorite. Back when you had to rewind the tape to write every lyric down (which I still think is the superior method of memorizing lyrics)"....

**
27. @DevinDawson-xv4kv
"I had this song in high school when it dropped in 95 96 I jammed off it every morning while on the school bus going to school loud as hell shoutn woo ha high as hell off the weed"

**
28. @daniel-isaacjames2167
"
Mane I used to be so hyped when this song came on I'd be like run up in ur crib like my name was Sonny WalrusπŸ₯΄πŸ˜‚. I used to be like that's a hard gangster name Who is Sonny Walrus. I know he said search warrants."

**
29. @thedeucemonkey2331
"Even that gear (except for hats maybe)is still on point...,that light lime green sh-t*πŸ”₯

**
30. @brittneysperspective8433
"I remember watching this in elementary school and thinking he was so interesting. He was so animated and had the best videos"

**
31. 
@28SHAWNSHAWN
"Those custom-made outfits were killing it back in the day. That black paten leather shearling with the matching Jordans was hot! There will only ever be one Busta!"

**
32. @blakematthews9694
"Him and missy elliot had the most unique videos and sound back in these days as far as hip hop goes."

**

33. @rukunman
"I remember when this song came on bbc1s top of the pops fire it up.

Busta always had a way with videos. Ridiculously memorable ones"

**
34. @donraggo77
"I used to blaze this SOOOO bad in my 10th floor high rise flat, balcony door wide open, Akai Seperates, a likkle 10" Basstube, one of the best times of my life ( I was 19, now 45 ) never gon have these again.. Flip Mode For Life <3"

**
35. @wtfsalommy3250
"When your metalhead buddy calls you late at night to tell you to turn it to mtv, you know its going to be good...Is Busts still alive after HotOnes?"

**
36. @nicksomebody9532
"You know the crowd at the club in the 90’s all saying WOO-HAH!"

**
37. @ajaxlewis7664
"As a shy white kid, discovering this song helped me come out my shell. Seeing a black dude acting all goofy and giving no shits gave me unusual confidence. Now I'm 29 and just remembered this song and it's power 😊 (I only mentioned race because black culture was gaining a lot of steam when I was growing up and grime was the most popular genre at the time)"

**
38. @royjameson2097
"I was 11 when this came out and it was a huge hit with little white kids hahaha his character just was different and he seemed like a funny interesting person. Not that we even knew what his bars were about or even anything about hip hop and rap besides what was on Yo! MTV raps which I vaguely remember I was really little and then MTV where Snoop and Dre were mainstream and eventually 2pac and Biggie, but you have to start somewhere, I later got into Tribe and the Roots where I learned that Busta got his start on a couple lines in TribeπŸ˜…"

**
39. @matthewpordum4053
"I remember when I first heard this, my old ass was in college and it blew my mind, now in 2022 I'm still trying to put the pieces of my blown mind back together. Busta Bus For Life !"

**
40. @laquintaknox5907
"I was in high school when this came out...good ass song"

**
41. @thehiphophousewife2271
"Classic era! Soundtrack to My teenage yearsπŸ˜„! Busta is one of the most creative in music, not just Hip Hop! This stayed in rotation on BET Rap City! This is when you used to see mad rap cameos in videos and the wardrobe, visuals and concept were all just exciting as the song!"

**
42. @Gorgeousbronze1
"I wanted every outfit in this video. BUSTA bring back those sherpa puffer headwraps. You'll make a billion. A million will be purchases I make"

****

2023

43. @vicherman253tac
"Takes me back to my youth,I had this joint on a tape cassette single walkman style damn I'm old the song lasts eons tho"

**
44. @Discipleofyeshuahamaschiach
"Lil history this is when Busta reinvented himself before this all we saw was him split up with his old rap group Leader’s of the New School live on Yo MTV Rap’s and then he disappeared no one saw him or nothing then he returned with this song and we all loved it and he blew up and it was a smash and from then he was crushing niggaz on another level !"

**
45. @josetaveras7222
"Damn took me str8 back to highschool … thankgod bussa gettn recognized now for all that greatness !!!! give him all his flowers πŸ’  now!!"

**
46. @TocoBear_Studios
"2023 still in my rotation, remember playing the CD riding around with my boys.... Man I wish those days can come back."

**
47. @MegaSnail123
"Who's listening in 2023!! 🎀🎧

I remember first hearing this when i was 16 on Yo! MTV raps with Dre and Ed lover and thinking What on Earth is this?? πŸ˜‚

Busta touring with 50 cent in the UK this November and i'm going!! Absolute dream come true for me. WOO HAAAAA!!!!!❤"

**
48. @brandybell9834
"I 1st heard this song on da radio I immediately hit record on the cassette playerπŸ”₯πŸ”₯"

**
49. @the-real-rabizzlethedoctor
"Growing up, we had limited access to TV and radio stations and programing, I remember there was this TV this program called Rap'em on KTN TV, I first heard this song on here, and loved it instantly 😍!"
-snip-
KTN-TV is a Kenya, East Africa channel. This memory could have been after the 1990s, but I'm including it anyway.
**

50. @cema5123
"I never realised how much I can hear his Jamaican flow until I’ve came back 2023 to listen again, still love this tune,  it reminds me of me and my friends in school  going flipmode and this was the uk, Busta is world wide Goat!"

**
51. @NayDay718
"Always looked forward to a Busta video and to see what he was wearing πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯"

**
52. @HARLEMHEFNER
"Them Hype Williams videos was everything in the 90"s"
-snip-
Hype Williams is the producer of this Busta Rhymes video.  

**
53. @bun223
"Wow when I first saw this, I thought what the.....πŸ˜‚ and I was listening to the lyrics...I looked at my cousin who was an older teen like, This man is insane! But as I go back to my memories of the 90s songs, gangsta or not, I realize this generation is really missing out in terms of the lyricism. Busta and his contemporaries were dangerous on the mic."

**

54. @pressureflipin1992
"Never seen anything like this when he first came out, when Busta really blew up 1997, (I know he was around before that but 97 is when he really took off) hip hop was very one sided, meaning you either worshiped like real gangbangin shit from the west coast or you loved the boom bap from the east coast. Busta really bridged that gap and brought an Asthetic that only a few people afterwards ever brought. Shady, Ludacris, not just in terms of wacky ass music videos but musically. It wasn't east coast or west coast, it was just fun! That's the best way I can describe it."

**
55. @jamieosborne8178
"First single I ever brought. Was on cassette and I brought it because it had a parental advisory sticker on it. Who'd of thought I was buying a future classic"

**
56. @russellmartinez2700
"I would daydream about how fly the clothing was. His style is 2nd 2 none!"

**
57. @no0nexoxo823
"Feels great to hear music from when I was 7 and actually understanding the lyrics πŸ˜‚❤ I miss 90's"

**
58.@Del-Lebo
"1965 baby here and this sh-t* Slaps!  I have records, cassettes, CDs..and drop the $$ for the streaming.  Head nod sh-t*! From university till right now...When I step up in the place....  This is Mad FlipMode baby1"

**
59. @generalvc
"This track drove us nuts in our childhood. Yo yo yo yo yo. Proceed to give you what you needaaaa πŸ˜‚"

**
60. @dizzedahmer
"I was 12 when this came out and it was the coolest song ever. I still have the maxi cd single with the ODB remix."

**
61. @tiffanypuckett2794
"@Busta Rhymes  I've been a fan since you came out! College was from 1993 to 1997. I have never been to a concert. For Woo-hah in college, my niece and I did one of those karaoke type videos they had in the 90s to that song. I still remember it. Thank you for creating music that got me up and made me get at it!"

**
62. @tiffanypuckett2794
"This song help me do so much homework in college"

****
2024

63. @MrPinky
"Back when mtv was the fix for your music clips❤ i still get flashbacks to little wes on his bike with his big headphones on. Thanks Busta for this kind of memories πŸ™"

**
64. @rustykeeran3029
"I remember bumping this one when I was 18  in my car driving the strip at having a blast"

****
This concludes Part III of this four part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment