Translate

Sunday, January 28, 2024

2016 Nigerian Rap Song "Ogene" by Zoro featuring Flavour (Video, Lyrics, & Comments)


Official Zoro Music, April 23, 2016

Shot and directed by Clarence Peters; Zoro presents the OFFICIAL video for his smash-hit single, "OGENE"  featuring Flavour
-snip-
Statistics for this YouTube video as of Jan. 28, 2024 at 5:16 AM EDT

Total # of views - 5,178,161

Total # of comments - 1, 772

****

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a pancocojams series about the 2016 record/video "Ogene" by Nigerian rapper Zoro featuring Nigerian singer Flavour. "Ogene" is the Igbo name for an iron bell and a musical style that features that bell and other traditional Igbo instruments.

This post showcases that same 2022 Zoro featuring Flavour video, and and includes a commenter's transcription of that song's lyrics and some comments from that discussion thread about that transcription.

This pancocojams post also presents my editorial notes about the inclusion of the very pervasive African American sentence "You know what I'm saying" and "You know what I mean" in the lyrics for Zoro's 2022 "Ogene" rap.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/01/the-igbo-language-african-american.htmlfor Part I of this pancocojams series. That post focuses on the use of Igbo and the widely used African American Vernacular English idiom "You know what I mean" in Zoro's and Flavour's 2016 song "Ogene". "Ya know what I mean" and other forms of that saying are quite commonly found, particularly among poor and working class Black teenagers and young adults in urban neighborhoods throughout the United States.

That post also highlights some examples of the use of certain Igbo language terms  and certain African American Vernacular English terms in the official discussion thread of Zoro's and Flavour's 2016 video for their song "Ogene". A few of those comments include some examples from that discussion thread of  the form of the  idiom "You know what I mean" that is used in Zoro's and Flavour's song "Ogene".

The content of this post is presented for cultural, linguistic, entertainment,  and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Zoro and Flavour for their musical legacies. Thanks to all those who were associated with this showcased video, and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

****

LYRICS - OGENE [The English translation of the Igbo words is given in parenthesis.]

(recorded by Zoro featuring Flavour

"Ahen!

Zee!

Ahen!

Zoro akpaswag, heh! (Zoro, Swag Bag)

Zoro onye Ogene! (Zoro, Ogene Man)

Nwunne mooo  (my people)

Ahh aye

(Teweé, teweé, unè m ooooo, teweé, ahehhhh! Óbuė Óbuė, Óbuė !)

get'em!!!

 

 

Hook (Zoro)

Anyi n’asu fune n’ogene, inaaamin (we speak Phonetics on the ogene)

Ji Ferrari echute ngene, inaaamin (Use ferrari to fetch firewood?)

Adiro eli m eli ka udene, inaaamin (nobody can eat me, I am a vulture)

Igbo boy fresh to the socks, inaamsayin (Igbo boy fresh to the socks)

Anyi n’asu fune n’ogene, inaaamin (we speak Phonetics on the ogene)

Ji Ferrari echute ngene, inaaamin (Use ferrari to fetch firewood)

Adiri eri m eri ka udene, inaaamin (nobody can eat me, I am a vulture)

Igbo boy polo to the socks, iaamsayin (Igbo boy wearing polo to the socks, u know what am saying)

Hah!


Chorus (Flavour)

O Okeke, Okafor be anyi ooo (eyi !!), unu anu kwara Ogene ? (Okeke and Okafor [generic names for Men] did you not hear the Ogene?)

Mbgeke, nwa mgborie be anyi o oo o, nye nu’m Ogene (Mbgeke and Mgborie [generic names for Female] did you not hear the Ogene?)

Kererenkere, m’tewé i’tewé, ebenebe yi Ogene ooo !  (Beatbox Sounds of Ogene)

Paítenú kenkere, ntewé itewé, ebenebe yi Ogene ooo! (Beatbox Sounds of Ogene)


Verse 1 (Zoro)

Zee !!!!

Bufú champagne, butelùnùm pammy (remove the Champagene and bring me the Palm wine.)

Wepu egwü Lil Wayne, kpó Udu Bunch Pammy (remove Lil Wanye songs and put the Palm wine songs)

Iga enwėcha Zoro n’ofe, ka na aju esè maggi (Why would you have Zoro in your soup and still looking for another spice [maggi])

Tantalizer for appetiser, shítenu’m ofè mgbòlodí (Tantalizer [expensive food] for appetizer, and bring me the most expensive soup [Ofe mgbòlodí])

Kezy be taking the vocal (Kezy is on the Vocal)

one hundred but keeping it local

My people sili mu jeé Z, leaving me feeling ka Hova (my people said am I Jay Z, which left me feeling like Hova)

Ndi malu mu ma na ndi social (People who know me, know that I am social)

Igbo music we taking it urban

Bring your sickest rappers, sum it up biiitch,abu’m the total (bring all ur favorite together, and I am their total)

Haaah!

bowa akana, ijide egom bowa akana (Spray the Money, If you have money spray the money [spend it])

With umu nwa di nma di sharp ka ha abu iru Ogbuadana (with the sexy ladies that are sharp like an axe)

Nwa piote ke n’ime be’m na oyi na atu kwa n’ime be’m (Lady come into my chamber, because it is kind of cold in my place)

Zinki mu, zinki akirika mana nju n’aju n’ime be’m (My roof is a thatch roof, but there is enough in my place)

And iweé ife anyi cholu, anyi ga enye gi titulu (if you have what we want, we will give you a title [award])

Aguba ndi Eze, my uncle Ji aka gbaji baisculu (When you count Kings, my Uncle is the king of Metals [breaks iron with bare hands])

The nwa fu ifė anyi kulu, nòba anó ka ofè okwuru (The man saw what we went through [to be successful] and started to draw like  Okra soup [to shake like jelly]

Mana anya ga api gi, ma iwelu anyi gi fu ife ayi fulu (You will go blind if  you see what we saw)

I bulu bibulu (you will run away in fear holding the Bible )

 

Chorus (Flavour)

O Okeke, Okafor be anyi ooo (eyi !!), unu anu kwara Ogene ? (Okeke and Okafor [generic names for Men] did you not hear the Ogene?)

Mbgeke, nwa mgborie be anyi o oo o, nye nu’m Ogene (Mbgeke and Mgborie [generic names for Female] did you not hear the Ogene?)

Kererenkere, m’tewé i’tewé, ebenebe yi Ogene ooo !  (Beatbox Sounds of Ogene)

Paítenú kenkere, ntewé itewé, ebenebe yi Ogene ooo! (Beatbox Sounds of Ogene)

 

Verse 2 (Flavour)

Ina eme guyi, onye muru gu (why you proud, who gave birth to you [who are you?])

Ishi n’idi badi, onye muru gu (you saud you are the best, who gave birth to you [who are you?])

Ina as u ingili, onye muru gu (you speak English, who gave birth to you [who are you?])

Ina apakeji, onye muru gu (why all this front u put up, who gave birth to you [who are you?])

òshekitekwé e, agbara e visa (If you shake it well, we get you a visa)

Ada Olisa paitewe ya, m’tewé i’tewé (Sexy Lady [Ada Olisa) break down the dance and keep dancing)

Paitewe ya dodo olima paitewe egwu m (Dance harder, Keep dancing)

ebenebe eyi Ogene !!!!!

Kererenkere, m’tewé i’tewé, ebenebe yi Ogene ooo !

Paítenú kenkere, ntewé itewé (enyi !!), ebenebe yi Ogene ooo!


Hook (Zoro)

Anyi n’asu fune n’ogene, inaaamin (we speak Phonetics on the ogene)

Ji Ferrari echute ngene, inaaamin (Use ferrari to fetch firewood)

Adiro eli m eli ka udene, inaaamin (nobody can eat me, I am a vulture)

Igbo boy fresh to the socks, inaamsayin (Igbo boy fresh to the socks)

Anyi n’asu fune n’ogene, inaaamin (we speak Phonetics on the ogene)

Ji Ferrari echute ngene, inaaamin (Use ferrari to fetch firewood)

Adiri eri m eri ka udene, inaaamin (nobody can eat me, I am a vulture)

Igbo boy polo to the socks, iaamsayin (Igbo boy wearing polo to the socks, u know what am saying)

Hah!


Outro Verse (Zoro) (Shout out to some people he knows)

Mega na Jerry n’asu fune n’ogene (Mega and Jerry, spoke Phonetics on the Ogene sound)

Koko na don,Chino n’asu fune n’ogene (Koko and Don Chino spoke Phonetics on the Ogene sound)

Aguba ndi Eze banyi shi na osuru fune n’ogene (Aguba the king in our town, spoke phonetics on the ogene)

Beawood n’isuawa inulu fune n’ogene (Beawood in Isuawa, heard the phoneticss on our ogene)

Akuchukwu n’ezinifite I’nulu amala uné (Akuchukwu in Ezinifite)

Ogbuogu n’osunmeyi bia nulu amala óbó (Ogbuogu in Osunmeyi)

Honourable Chima Obieze Ina anu kwa amala uné (Honourable Chima you hear the shout out)

Okpoche ngene I’nulu Ogene, Ó amala ubó, tewé !!! (Okpoche)

Ejike bureau De changi (Tewé !!!)   (Ejike is Bureau de Change (has too much money))

Phyno fino nwoke iji changi (Tewé !!!) (Phyno fino has so much money)

Major bankz nu na ne eti ajò egwú (Óbuė!, Óbuė!!) (Major Bankz the baddest producer)

Iyvon nelson na achó ajò okwú   (Iyvon Nelson the trouble maker)

ijere one n’igbo nííne  (Flavour the finest in all of Igbo Land)

Flavour n’abania nwoke shinné (Flavour the finest in all of Igbo Land)

Ijere one n’igbo nííne, n’igbo niine

Anaaa mu (I am out)"

-snip-

This transcription was written by commenter @xixtinthegreat, 2016 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWYQnbqN8I [official YouTube video]

 

Here's @xixtinthegreat preface to that transcription:

 "I Have Traslated 4 the non-Igbo Speakers.

 Ogene (Ogene is an instrument. The dominant sound in this song)

 It’s Kezyklef production".

 ****

REPLIES TO THAT TRANSCRIPTION FROM THAT DISCUSSION THREAD

 These are all of the comment replies to this song's lyrics that have been published on that YouTube discussion thread in the order that they appear in that sub-thread. (as of January 28, 2024 at 1:22 AM EDT.)

 Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWYQnbqN8I

 

1.  @chimaobi1175, 2016
"Hahaha Nice try , 80/100"

**

Reply

2. @xixtinthegreat, 2016
"Oga mi. wey the other 20% LOL. I hail ooo. 80% na pass mark, I go collect am. emela!!"

**

Reply

3.@JUlia-kv4gz, 2017
"Thanks so much for the translation! Love the energy in this song. And Flavour (of course ;) )"

**

Reply

4. @felayepassis2868, 2017
"Good looking bro. lol"

**

Reply

5. @dinalandu, 2017
"I'll give you 220%."

**

Reply

6. @amysucre5143, 2017
"Xixtin The Great I score you 500% for this translation. You left nothing out!"

Amala une...flute

Amala ubo ....guitar"

**

Reply

7.@Jb21000, 2017
"Wow the lyrics make me love the song more. There is so much richness/wisdom in our cultures don’t understand why people can ever be ashamed to be African."

**

Reply

8. @brainoverbrawn3404, 2018
"Impressive translation!!

Nna gi muru gi(You're your father's son/daughter)!!

Akam di n'elu(I salute you)."

**

Reply

9. @anayochime8821, 2019

"Jiri Ferrari echute ngene (Use Ferrari to fetch from the stream)"

**

Reply

10.@13thghost42, 2019
" "ngene" means stream or lake.

 Anyi adi erimeri ka udele/udene means we don't eat stale.

 


In all you your effort is amazing."

 

**

Reply

11. @wellobush8393, 2019
"Wow my guy you really went down on this. Good job and thank you so much."

**

Reply

12. @08033297829, 2019
"You are the best."

**

Reply

13. @jdemenike, 2019

"Xixtin The Great

Very good attempt.

 

Few corrections.

Ngene means stream. I take my Ferrari to the stream

Zinc m zinc akirika mana nju na ajụ n'ime be m - my roof is thatch roof and it is quite cold inside."

**

Reply

14. @amakabeibe, 2019
"Xixtin The Great My G you try... Nara aka biko..."

**

Reply

15. @munavictoria8272, 2020
"Agubandieze is actually the name of his uncle,and he is on this video..."

**

Reply

16. @xixtinthegreat, 2020
"Thanks for all the corrections, I will update in the lyrics soon. Great music should be accessible to all. That includes making the translation accessible for all.  If you want more Igbo music translation I will do the most popular ones."
-snip-
I'm also sincerely thank xixtinthegreat for his transcription of Zoro's rap "Ogene", but for the record, I want to not that there's no indication that these lyrics were updated (No "edited" note is attached to this comment (or to any other comment in this replysub-thread".)  

**

Reply

17. @eventxposure, 2021
"My people silimu jee z .. (my people said I should go z .. its actually a wordplay .. jee (go and represent ) & Jay z (the rapper).. 2021 still here.."

**

Reply

18. @evaristusasobara4348, 2021
"Thanks"

**

Reply

19. @okpegodson1675, 2023
"We're speaking phonetics with Ogene instruments, we fetch fire woods with Ferrari, like a vulture you can't eat me, why are you asking for appetizers when Zoro is here, stop playing Lil Wayne's music play Pammy Udubunch's ( a traditional Igbo musician)that's how far I can go, lol 🤣🤣 I hope it makes sense"

**

Reply

20. @Absoladapo, 2023
" Okpe Godson  wow that’s deep God bless you."

**

Reply

21. @okpegodson1675, 2023
" @Absoladapo  you're welcome

****

[Pancocojams Editor's Note: Here's another comment about the lyrics. (This comment isn't a part of the sub-thread that is given above]:

1. @chiemerievictor2998, 2021
"This beat get me moving.

Zoro says

We speak phonetics with ogene(musical instrument)

We fetch water with Ferrari.

Nobody eats me like a vulture.

He also asked how can have Zoro and still be asking for appetizers and tantalizers.

 

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥"

****

PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTES ABOUT THE LYRICS "YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING" AND "YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN" THAT ARE PART OF THE 2022 NIGERIAN RAP" ENTITLED OGENE" BY ZORO FEATURING FLAVOUR

Examples of the saying "You know what I mean" and "You know what I'm saying" and other forms of those sayings are very noticeable parts of African American Vernacular English (AAVE) throughout many parts of the United States. This is particularly the case with conversational AAVE that is spoken by poor and working class young people living in urban neighborhoods.

For examples of how often forms of these sayings are used at the end of sentences,

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/01/ya-know-what-im-sayin-ya-feel-me-and.html for Part I of a two part 2023 pancocojams series. That post is entitled "Ya Know What I'm Sayin", "Ya Feel Me" And Similar Sayings In African American Vernacular English (Comments from a YouTube Discussion Thread).

That post includes a 2019 YouTube video by CharlieBo313 entitled "Different American Hood Accents". That video consists of multiple street interviews with young men in certain African American "hoods" throughout the United States.

Here are two comments from the discussion thread for that video:

1. @RenR70, 2019
" “You know what I’m sayin” is pretty much universal hood talk."

2.@p_sm00th82, 2019
"Every hood  has a different way/slogan/saying of “do you understand me” lmaooo (ya herd meh, nah sayin, ya feel me, ya digg, real talk etc ) lol"

-end of quotes-

ixtinthegreat's masterful transcription of the 2022 Nigerian rap "Ogene" by Zoro featuring Flavour includes two examples of "You know what I'm saying" in the hook of that rap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWYQnbqN8I [official YouTube video].

1. at the end of the next to the last line in the first hook (Zoro), before the word "Ha!":

 "Igbo boy polo to the socks, iaamsayin (Igbo boy wearing polo to the socks, u know what am saying)"

 and

 

after verse #2, at the end of the next to the last line in the second hook (Zoro) before the word "Ha"  [the same lyrics as given in the first example].


 
Unfortunately, commenter ixtinthegreat's masterful [unofficial] transcription of that Nigerian rap "Ogene" by Zoro featuring Flavour doesn't include the form of "You know what I mean" that are found in the beginning of that rap and in other parts of that rap.

A number of commenters in the discussion thread for the official video of Zoro's rap "Ogene" document the fact that that rap includes multiple examples of a strung together form of the saying "You know what I mean". In contrast, no comments in that discussion thread include the sentence  'You know what I'm saying" that is used less often in that Nigerian rap.

Here are two examples of those comments that I included in Part I of this pancocojams series about Zoro's "Ogene" rap:

These comments are numbered for referencing purposes only:

https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/01/the-igbo-language-african-american.html

 

1. @JoStylin, 2016
"B elect I tried doing the Ogene dance but everytime he said 'U Naaa Mean' I automatically switched to dancing hip hop."

**

2.@bobbyem95, 2016
"Dope Tune. Will jam to this any time of the day! You know i meannnnnnn!"

-end of quotes-

ixtinthegreat's transcription of Zoro's rap "Ogene" is the only one that I've found online. I regret that it doesn't include the "You know what I mean" lyrics because those lyrics accurately add authenticity to the contemporary African American Hip Hop styling of this Nigerian rap. 

****

This concludes Part II of this pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment