Translate

Saturday, December 2, 2023

Four Examples Of African American Religious Songs That Include The Words "Tell It"

 
gospelin, Sept. 2, 2010

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a three part pancocojams series presents examples of songs from African American culture that includes the words "Tell it".

This post presents one YouTube example of an African American Spiritual and three YouTube examples of African American Gospel songs that include the words "tell it".  Partial lyrics for these featured songs are also included in this post.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/12/aaron-neville-tell-it-like-it-is.html for Part II of this pancocojams series. That post showcases Aaron Neville's hit 1966 R&B song "Tell It Like It Is".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/12/examples-of-african-american-girls.html__ for Part III of this pancocojams series. That post presents examples of foot stomping cheers that include the words "Tell it".

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composers of these songs and thanks to all those who are featured in these songs.

Thanks also to the publishers of these songs on YouTube.  
  
****
PARTIAL LYRICS FROM SHOWCASE VIDEO #1- "I'mComing Home "(Tell Heaven)
"Tell heaven 
Now you tell heaven 
I am coming
I’m coming on home 
Oh, one day 
Just tell my heaven, my heavenly king 
Just tell him that I’m coming on the morning train 

Tell heaven 
Whoa-oh, tell heaven 
I am coming
Hey, I'll be a' home one day 
Tell heaven I’m coming on home one day

Tell my father 
Now you tell father
I am coming 
I’m coming on home 
Oh, one day 
Well I've been 'buked, Lord, I've been scorned
Yeah, I have been talked about, sure as you born"
-snip-
Click https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107859578772/ for the complete lyrics for this song.

The Staple Singers recorded this song in 1959.
Other verses for this song substitute the word "father" for "mother", etc.  
-snip-
Thanks to Amy Shacklett  for introducing me to this song.

****
ADDITIONAL SHOWCASE EXAMPLES  
  
EXAMPLE #2 - Mahalia Jackson-Go Tell It On The Mountain


Walter Robinson Jr. Dec 10, 2011
-snip-
Partial lyrics for the African American Spiritual "Go Tell It On The Mountain"

Go tell it on the mountain
Over the hills and everywhere
Go, tell it on the mountain
That Jesus Christ is born"
-snip-
Click https://www.csmedia1.com/theridgecolumbus.com/go-tell-it-on-the-mountain-lyrics.pdf for complete lyrics for this song.

****
EXAMPLE # 3 - Soul Children of Chicago - Vintage (Tell Them Im A Child of God)


Soul Children of Chicago, August 8, 2013
 
****
Partial lyrics for the African American Gospel Song "Tell Them I'm A Child Of God"
"If anybody ask you who I am
Who I am
Who I am
If anybody asks you
Who I am
Tell em I’m a child"
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/12/the-soul-children-of-chicago-tell-them.html for the pancocojams post entitled "The Soul Children of Chicago - "Tell Them I'm A Child of God" (1980s video & lyrics)".

The complete lyrics for this rendition of "Tell Them I'm A Child Of God" are included in that post.

****
EXAMPLE #4 -The Georgia Mass Choir "Tell It"



malcolmg, Nov. 15, 2017
-snip-
Partial lyrics for the African American Gospel "Tell It" as sung by The Georgia Mass Choir:
"Just want to tell it what the Lord has done for me
I just want to tell it how the Lord has set me free
I was lost couldn't find my way wa-oo
The Holy Ghost came and showed me the right way
I Just want tell it what the Lord has done for me

[...]

Oh yes I been delivered
Tell it
Got a story to tell (4) tell it
when I was lost, tell it in a world of sin tell it
Couldn't find no joy, tell it no peace within tell it
I sought Jesus, tell it he found me tell it
And right now, tell it today I'm free tell it
Tis so sweet, tell it to trust in Jesus, tell it
Just to take him, tell it at his word, tell it
Just to rest tell it upon his promise tell it
Just to know tell it thus says the Lord
I been delivered, I been delivered
I been delivered, Oh yes I been delivered
I been delivered, I been delivered
I been delivered, Oh yes I been delivered
I been delivered!!!"

Click https://www.invubu.com/music/show/song/Georgia-Mass-Choir/Tell-It.html for the complete lyrics for this Gospel song. 

****
This concludes Part I of this three part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment