Translate

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Thank You To The Television Series "The Circle" (Season Five) For Introducing Me To The Words "Gusband" & "Wifey"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post focuses on the English language slang word "gusband".

The meaning of "gusband" is presented in this post along with examples of that word.

This post also presents the meaning of the word "wifey" as well as examples of that word. 

The content of this post is presented for linguistic and cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.
-snip-
This post doesn't include any other spoiler information about The Circle television series except for the name of the winner of Season Five and a brief comment about some of the drama in that season.

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTE
Season Five of The Circle (USA) was filmed in the fall of 2021, but the first episode aired December 28, 2022. My daughter and I began binge watching that season in the beginning of September 2023. We had previously watched the other four seasons of The Circle, but took some time between one season before binge watching the next season. 

(Spoiler Alert) In Season Five,  the eventual winner Sam (Samatha) called another contestant Chaz her gusband and he called Sam his wifey. 

I hadn't heard the word "wifey" or the word "gusband" before, but based on the words themselves and how they were used, it was easy to figure out what each word means. "Wife" is a form of the word "wife" and "gusband" is a form of the word "husband".

Since Chaz shared that he is gay, it wasn't difficult to conjecture that the beginning letter "g" in the word "gusband" came from the word "gay" and the rest of that word came from the word "husband".

Three things surprised me when I decided to search for information about the origin of the words "gusband" and "wifey"
1. The word "wifey  is really old: "The first known use of wifey was in 1786" - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wifey 
-snip-
The informal word "wifey" has the same meaning as the word wife.

**
2. The word "wifey" is found in Merriam-Webster dictionary and other standard dictionaries.

**
3. The word "gusband" isn't found in Merriam-Webster dictionary or other standard dictionaries.
-snip-
Google search for "gusband" usually yields results for the word "husband".
-snip-
The earliest urbandictionary.com entry for "wifey" is from 2003. Here are those two entries.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wifey

"wifey

a girl you care a lot about, she's more than just your girl.

thats my wifey... so BACK UP

by pink July 29, 2003"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wifey&page=2

"wifey

when a boys got A girlfriend who he feels 4 deep,then she's more than just any girl 2 him, she's real special in his eyes, so she's his 'wifey'.

boy 1-remember that girl i met? i can't explain it but she's real kool

boy 2- so she's wifey material den?

boy 1-yeah I like spending time wid her 4real!I think I'll make her my 'wifey'

by GhettoQueenKZ September 24, 2003"
-snip-
All urbandictionary.com definitions are user submitted.. Neither of the examples above are the top ranked definition of "wifey" on that site.

Most of the definitions for "wifey" on that site don't refer to a woman who is married, but refer to a woman who a male is close to.

****
SPECULATION ABOUT THE ORIGIN OF THE WORD "GUSBAND"
I haven't found any information (yet) about who (which population) and when the word "gusband" was first used.

My guess is that the word "gusband" either came from the 1990 documentary Paris Is Burning that was filmed "in the mid to late 1980s and chronicles the ball culture of New York City and the African American, Latino, gay, and transgender communities involved in it" or the word "gusband" came from those same populations after the1980s.

Click 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Is_Burning_(film) for information about Paris Is Burning.

Please share any information that you have about the word "gusband" in the comment section of this pancocojams post.

****
WHAT THE ENGLISH WORD "GUSBAND" MEANS
From https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gusband

1. 
"gusband 

"gay husband" A gay friend that a woman is as close to as her real husband can be called a gusband.

I'm going to Vegas with my gusband.

by italbrew August 17, 2007"
-snip-
This is the top ranking entry for this word as of September 12, 2023

**
2. 
"gusband

Gay husband. Used in straight female/ gay male friendships.

Will is Grace's gusband.

by seattleshiksa April 17, 2010

**
3. Gusband and Gife

Gay husband and wife. Could be any combination: Man married to a Man. Woman married to a Woman. The matrimony of two gay people. Could also be Gusband and Gusband. Or...Gife and Gife.

"I now pronounce you Gusband and Gife".

by annieoakley September 10, 2011"
-snip-
urbandictionary.com has additional entries with the same meaning as these three. The earliest dated entry for "gusband" is from  200.7  

****
OTHER EXAMPLES OF THE WORD "GUSBAND"
1. 
https://twitter.com/SophiaBush/status/5397867208380416?lang=en

"Sophia Bush

@SophiaBush

Me&my Gusband on the OTH set. Gusband meaning that if he weren't my gay best friend he'd be my husband. It's okay

@A

... http://say.ly/ugu4XK

6:12 PM · Nov 18, 2010"
-snip-
“OTH”=the television series One Tree Hill. Here's information about that television series from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Tree_Hill_(TV_series)
" One Tree Hill is an American drama television series created by Mark Schwahn, which premiered on September 23, 2003, on The WB.[1] After the series' third season, The WB merged with UPN to form The CW, and from September 27, 2006, the series was broadcast by The CW in the United States until the end of its run in 2012. The show is set in the fictional town of Tree Hill in North Carolina and initially follows the lives of two half-brothers, Lucas (Chad Michael Murray) and Nathan Scott (James Lafferty), who compete for positions on their school's basketball team and the drama that ensues from the brothers' romances.

**
2. 
https://www.amazon.com/Gusband-guhs-band-noun-Husband-Fabulous/dp/1080661158
Title:"Gusband (guhs-band) noun. Like A Husband, Only More Fabulous, See Also: Fun, Handsome, Awesome: Cute Gay Pride

Author - Prideful Prints

Description: 9" 110 pages blank lined diary Back to School Paperback – July 15, 2019

****
3. https://www.amazon.com/Love-My-Crazy-Gusband-Composition/dp/1080661921
"Title:  
I Love My Crazy Gusband: 

Author - Prideful Prints
Description- "
Cute Gay Pride LGBT Rainbow Flag Journal, LGBT Pride Composition Notebook; 6" x 9" 110 pages blank lined diary Paperback"

Independent Publisher -July 15, 2019

4.  https://ew.com/tv/the-circle-season-5-winner-sam-carmona-talks-finale-spoilers/ "The Circle season 5 winner breaks down that shocking end: 'I had no idea what I was doing''

"I was just speaking to my mother and she's like, 'At what point did you feel like you were going to win?' I said, 'Never. Not once.'"

By Sydney Bucksbaum, January 18, 2023
"Warning: This article contains spoilers about The Circle season 5 finale.

Sam Carmona literally started from the bottom on The Circle season 5. In the premiere, the 34-year-old came in last during the very first rankings. But by remaining loyal to her new friends and staying out of drama all season long, the underdog ultimately unseated consistent Influencers Chaz Lawery and Raven Sutton to win the whole thing.

Carmona is the first to admit she had no idea what she was doing throughout the season aside from making genuine connections, whereas her fellow competitors took a more strategic angle in their attempts to win the game. And in the end, her strategy of no strategy reigned supreme. Below, Carmona breaks down season 5's shocking ending, how she took home the win, and more.

[…]

What was going through your mind when Michelle announced you won?

I literally remember holding onto my gusband's hand — yes, he has a real husband but he's my gusband — head down, and I'm just chanting to him, I don't know if anyone could hear it but I was like, "I'm so proud of you, I'm so proud of you," saying it over and over. Because I genuinely did not know. And when she said that, I literally felt like there were cinder blocks on my shoulders. I couldn't even carry the weight. I was like, "Wait, what?" And just crying aggressively.

[…]

How did that first ratings scare affect how you played the rest of the season?

It definitely lit a fire. … because I know that I had a good relationship with Chaz and Raven and they were killing the game the entire time ... not saying they were my security blanket, but as long as I knew one of them was up top, I'm like, "I'm good. My gusband got me. My sister got me." And then everything else that was unfolding throughout the season, I was just like, "It has nothing to do with me. You guys go at it, I'm going to sit back. I don't want no part of it."….
-snip-
I used italics to highlight the word "gusband" in this excerpt. Sam used that word a few other times in that article.

(Spoiler Alert) The "gusband" and "wifey" designations that Sam and Chaz used throughout The Circle (Season Five) feature heavily in that Season's drama, including in how Sam realizes the identity of the contestant who is the secret hacker.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment