Translate

Friday, September 22, 2023

1992 Film Of New Orleans Culture- Iberville Projects: People Having Fun Outdoors On Mardi Gras Day



Gank D,  June 28,2017

**
Reply
47. @djbornpeaceallah7544
"@gankd2154  Yeah I miss when New York was the leaders cause back then everyone was trying to duplicate them. Which wasn't a bad thing in my book. Even though in the South for US and in the West it was more Gangsta Rap (Nothing wrong with it. We was just speaking what was going on in the Neighborhoods). I just have to give respect to Rakim, KRS One and Big Daddy Kane... being how Young they was at the time and how Mature they was.... I wish in New Orleans that it was just more Brothers in the 50's- 60's-70's teaching that knowlege of self like they was doing in New York... cause that would have changed the mines of many young Black Youth.... not that is wasn't consciousness going on in New Orleans back then and further on... I just wish the percentage was higher...

My family from the 7th Ward and I have a lot of family in Baton Rouge... I have a older Auntie used to live Uptown Calliope went to Booker T. but this was back in the day...the50's- 60's.. back then She said everything was more peaceful back then... She would tell me... She told Me the reason the Whites convinced the Blacks to move to the Projects was to save money to actually buy a House but She said it was a set up cause a lot of People never moved out..and it made our People rely on the Government taking care of them rather than being more independent....makes since being that at one time New Orleans was the most Prominent place for Blacks financially. As far as the Projects though Mathematically If you have that many People living so close together You gone have problems.... The same thing happened in other cities.... Anyway Peace To You and Your Family"
-snip-
I reformatted this comment to increase its readability.

** 
Reply
48. @gankd2154

"@djbornpeaceallah7544  Thanks brother I appreciate your thoughts & comments. Yea in the early 90's our culture was inspiring. My mom bought me my first drum machine a 707 that's when I started making  beats for my lyrics. Created an album Released Black Genocide & Tricksman as singles in 1991. I think I started writing raps in 1984. I had no instrumentals so I use to play LL Cool J songs tune his voice out & rap my lyrics over his music from beginning to end one take without messing up. Around 1987 I told my mama I wanna a drum machine me & my friend use to look at them in werlein's music store so she bought me one & I started doing tracks. 

Since you're a record collector you can check but I don't think you will find it on wax or cassette. I had them in all the local record stores in New Orleans but we're talking about almost 20 years ago. I had plenty of copies on wax & cassette but when Katrina hit in 2005 I lost them but luckily before I left I took one copy each w/ me & I still have them today. Thanks, but no I didn't know someone is selling on Discogs I will investigate thanks.


As far as New York rappers I remember the first time I heard lodi dodi & The Show by Doug E Fresh & Slick Rick me & my friends we lost our minds. I was 17 years old & it blowed us away. But the 1st N.Y. song I heard was either Sugar Hill Gang  Rappers Delight Grand Master Flash & the Furious 5 The Message or Kurtis Blow Basketball. But Run D.M.C & LL was my 2 Favorite then Eric B & Rakim. The South wasn't Gangsta til Ghetto Boys dropped. UGK, 8-Ball & MJG & Luke 2 Live Crew wasn't Gangsta. Now the WestCoast came out Gangsta Ice T  NWA even 2 short had a lil Gangsta pimpin" New Orleans is so small compare to N.Y.C. the deep south compare to the East Coast w/ big buildings plenty lights & plenty success N. O. had no dreams or no role models it was get it how you live & we live wild.

I wasn't born yet in the 50's & 60's but even in the 70's it was real racist in the South I know it was racist in the East too but some wasn't offered the same opportunity. Black Genocide the song came from my OG who help show me the rap game independently as a writer & a publisher. He use to be affiliated w/ the Black Panthers a very positive dude from the St Bernard Projects a very positive dude we had some good brothers just not enough. once they drop crack in our neighborhoods the late 80's early 90's people was either sellers or users & a lot of people got jailed or killed. I was born & raised in the Iberville projects at 18 my parents actually bought a house in N.O, East & moved us out the projects. I know what you mean bc a lot of my friends was stuck there & now their kids live there generations handed down but we made it OUT Thank GOD...Peace to you & yours my Brother
-snip-
I reformatted this comment to increase its readability.

**
49. @
hendrixdowns404 "Look at all those fila shoes with the straps!!" ** 50. @josephgreen1557 "Dudes in them days didn't wanna be on camera"

1 comment:

  1. Here's the comment that I just posted to the discussion thread of the video that is showcased in this pancocojams post:

    @azizip171
    "Gank D, I happened upon this video while "surfing" YouTube for videos about New Orleans wards. I'm from New Jersey and now live in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, I have never been to New Orleans, but I want to thank you for sharing this film and providing people with an opportunity to remember and share their memories of that time before Katrina.

    I'm a seventy-five year old African American woman who grew up in Stanley Holmes Village (which we called "the Village"), a project in Atlantic City, New Jersey in the 1950s to the mid 1960s. While I have some fond and not so fond memories of the Village, for the most part I don't remember the sense of community being as strong as I get from your film about IVP and the comments that I read about it. For instance, I don't remember attending any Village block parties....

    Time has passed and I'm now a self-described cultural folklorist who voluntarily curates a cultural blog called pancocojams. As one of your commenters said, this film is History.

    I hope that it is alright with you that I just added a post on that blog that showcases your video and includes selected comments from this discussion thread. Here's the link to that post: https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/09/1992-film-of-new-orleans-culture.html

    As it is noted in that post, the content of that post is presented for historical and socio-cultural purposes and all copyrights remain with their owners.

    Thanks again. Peace and Love and keep on keepin on! "

    ReplyDelete