Translate

Saturday, July 15, 2023

Information about HBCUs & Four Examples Of The Chant "I love My HBCU" (Historical Black Colleges & Universities)


Central State University, Aug 23, 2015

The Central State University Student Ambassadors teach "I Love My HBCU" chant

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest Revision - August 6, 2023

This pancocojams post presents information about the history of Historical Black Colleges and Universities.

This post also presents three examples of that chant and one song that includes that chant. 

The content of this post is presented for historical, cultural, and educational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the unknown composer/s of this chant and thanks to all those who are featured in this post Thanks also to  and thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.
-snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/03/examples-of-historically-black_17.html examples of the very similar historically Black sorority chants "I Love My __ In Front Of My __".  That post is the third page of a seven alphabetical pancocojams collection of chants and songs from historically Black Greek letter organizations (BGLOS).

I've come across examples of this chant from two historically Black Greek letter sororities- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and Sigma Gamma Rho, Inc.  My guess is that the sorority chant was composed before the HBCU chant, but I don't know which sorority chanted it first. 

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE HISTORY OF HBCUs 
Excerpt #1
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historically_black_colleges_and_universities
"Historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) are institutions of higher education in the United States that were established before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 with the intention of primarily serving African Americans.[1] Most of these institutions were founded during the Reconstruction era and are concentrated in the Southern United States.[2] During the period of racial segregation in the United States, the majority of American institutions of higher education served predominantly white students, and disqualified or limited black American enrollment.[3][4] Later on some universities, either after expanding their inclusion of black people and African Americans into their institutions or gaining the status of minority-serving institution, became Predominantly Black Institutions (PBIs).[5]

For a century after the abolition of American slavery in 1865, most colleges and universities in the Southern United States prohibited all African Americans from attending as required by Jim Crow laws in the South, while institutions in other parts of the country regularly employed quotas to limit admissions of black people.[6][7][8][9] HBCUs were established to provide more opportunities to African Americans and are largely responsible for establishing and expanding the African-American middle class.[10][11]

There are 101 HBCUs in the United States (of 121 institutions that existed during the 1930s), representing three percent of the nation's colleges,[12] including public and private institutions.[13] Twenty-seven offer doctoral programs, 52 offer master's programs, 83 offer bachelor's degree programs, and 38 offer associate degrees.[14][15][16] HBCUs currently produce nearly 20% of all African American college graduates and 25% of African American STEM graduates.[17] Among the graduates of HBCUs are civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., United States Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, and United States Vice President Kamala Harris.

[...]

In 2015, the share of black students attending HBCUs had dropped to 9% of the total number of black students enrolled in degree-granting institutions nationwide. This figure is a decline from the 13% of black students who enrolled in an HBCU in 2000 and 17% who enrolled in 1980. This is a result of desegregation, rising incomes and increased access to financial aid, which has created more college options for black students.[13][51]

The percentages of bachelor's and master's degrees awarded to black students by HBCUs has decreased over time. HBCUs awarded 35% of the bachelor's degrees and 21% of the master's degrees earned by blacks in 1976–77, compared with the 14% and 6% respectively of bachelor's and master's degrees earned by blacks in 2014–15. Additionally, the percentage of black doctoral degree recipients who received their degrees from HBCUs was lower in 2014–15 (12%) than in 1976–77 (14%).[52][53][54]

The number of total students enrolled at an HBCU rose by 32% between 1976 and 2015, from 223,000 to 293,000. Total enrollment in degree-granting institutions nationwide increased by 81%, from 11 million to 20 million, in the same period.[52]

Although HBCUs were originally founded to educate black students, their diversity has increased over time. In 2015, students who were either white, Hispanic, Asian or Pacific Islander, or Native American made up 22% of total enrollment at HBCUs, compared with 15% in 1976.[55]"...

****
Excerpt #2
From 
https://cheyney.edu/who-we-are/the-first-hbcu/
"On February 25, 1837, Cheyney University of Pennsylvania became the nation’s first Historically Black College and University (HBCU). The University was established through the bequest of Richard Humphreys, a Quaker philanthropist who bequeathed $10,000 — one-tenth of his estate — to design and establish a school to educate people of African descent and prepare them as teachers.

First known as the African Institute, the school was soon renamed the Institute for Colored Youth. In its early years, it provided training in trades and agriculture, which were the predominant skills needed in the general economy.

In 1902, the Institute was relocated to George Cheyney’s farm, a 275-acre property just 25 miles west of Philadelphia. The name “Cheyney” became associated with the school in 1913, though the school’s official name changed several times during the 20th century."...
-snip-
Almost all HBCUs are in the Southern region of the United States.
Cheney University and Lincoln University* are the only two HBCUs in the state of Pennsylvania.
-snip-
*Lincoln University in Pennsylvania shouldn't be confused with Lincoln University in the state of Missouri The information that is given above refers to the public. state related, historically Black university named "Lincoln University" that is located near Oxford, Pennsylvania (in Chester county, about 45 miles from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and 48 miles from Baltimore, Maryland).  That university was founded in 1854 as a private institution and became state affiliated in 1972.  

From https://www.lincoln.edu/about/history.html#:~:text=A%20University's%20Beginnings,College%20and%20University%20(HBCU).
..."
Originally established as The Ashmun Institute, Lincoln University received its charter from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on April 29, 1854, making it the nation's first degree-granting Historically Black College and University (HBCU).

 "The first institution found anywhere in the world to provide a higher education in the arts and sciences for male youth of African descent,” described Horace Mann Bond (class of 1923), Lincoln’s first African American president, in his book, Education for Freedom"...

****
Excerpt #3
From https://hbcufirst.com/resources/hbcu-history-timeline 
..."Prior to the Civil War, the education of Black Americans was prohibited in most Southern states and often discouraged in Northern states resulting in only a few Black schools being in existence — Cheyney University (est. 1837), University of the District of Columbia (1851), Lincoln University (1854), and Wilberforce University (1856).

Most of our nation's HBCUs were started by philanthropists and free Blacks; Southern states at the behest of the federal government; and religious organizations such as the American Missionary Association (AMA) and the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church.

From the late 1800s to the late 1900s, HBCUs thrived and provided refuge from laws and public policy that prohibited Black Americans from attending most colleges and universities.

[...]

Before higher education was desegregated in the 1950s and 60s, almost all Black college students enrolled at HBCUs.

Legal segregation had prevented Black Americans from attending college in the South, and quotas limited the number of Black students that could attend college in the North.

Today, all 100+ HBCUs across the United States continue to play a vital role in America's prosperity — academically, socially, and economically.

HBCUs are also becoming a magnet for international students — largely due to their strong academic programs, affordability, and diverse & inclusive environments.

Although HBCUs were originally founded to educate Black Americans, today 1 in 4 students (24%) enrolled at HBCUs is non-Black."...

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #2: 2014 WSSU Cheerleaders, I Love My HBCU



Artistry Photography, Sep 29, 2014
-snip-
Here's the words to this chant/song (from commenters in this and in other YouTube videos): 
I love my H in front of my B.
My B in front of my C.
I love my HBCU.

[repeat several times]

They got me singing Ohhhhh
Old State U
-snip-
Additions and corrections are welcome.
"Old State U" refers to Winston Salem State University, in Winston Salem, North Carolina.

The lyrics for this chant appear to be fixed among HBCUs except for the part where people  substitute the reference to their own university. 

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #3: 
 2019 WSSU FANS, I Love My H B C U


Artistry Photography, Sep 18, 2019
-snip-
There are no comments in this video's discussion thread. Consequently, we may never know what caused the people attending that game to be so shocked at the end of this video. My guess is that the opposing team scored a touchdown or otherwise made some move that benefitted that team.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO #4: 
HBCU There - Griot B (Black College Anthem)

Schoolyard Rap, Feb 23, 2018

You will have the time of your life at a Historically Black College and University .Track 10 on the 1st ever Black History Album "Ourstory" -https://song.link/album/us/i/1329122629

---You don't need a Spaceship to go to a Different World!--

Beat - Alex Blake (Pi Gamma, Q6)

Video - In House Media Group / AENL

Lyrics:

I had to get up out my house I had to leave “I’m gone”
I had to go out on my own, I had to show I’m grown
I had to pay for all of this, I had to take a loan
But Howard’s Homecoming made me feel  I came Home!
My soul is glowing, look around. (1) All this melanin.
I’m talking Nubian to light as the Sahara sand
If I was from Zamunda and I left the motherland
I woulda went to find my Queen at Spelman (2)
Well-read Morehouse men they wearing suits
Hampton Pirates say its true; their the “Real HU” (3)
This aint Honey Boo Boo, Black Pageants is the thang
When she gets that sash we sang “ She’s your queen”
I spoke to Spike Lee and Sammy L Jack. 
They said, “Go to black college
you won’t want to go back”
They said “I’ve had the time of my life At a HBCU!”

I love my H in front of my “B”
My “B” in front of my “C”
I love my HBCU (I do I do ooo)
Ooooooooo I love my HBCU (I do I do ooo)

Financial Aid, Hair greying while you waiting
You aint seen ole’ girl for months Now she probating
If you aint Greek better not step on them plots
Cus it’ll pop off if Norfolk State Ques bark (4)
Fried chicken Wednesday You better hit that kitchen
Swag Surfing, locking arms, Swaying and we dipping
 Parties turning up in dorms and the Laundry rooms
Homecoming cookout like a family reunion
Tuskegee football games, Them right there stay popping
Forget the game man,  Aint nobody watching
Sothern Grambling Bayou Classic bands stay rocking
Dance line grooving to the music moving dropping
I spoke to Common and Taraji P,
They said “Go to black college The knowledge is more sweet”
They said “I’ve had the time of my life… At a HBCU!”

I love my H in front of my “B”
My “B” in front of my “C”
I love my HBCU (I do I do ooo)
Ooooooooo I love my HBCU (I do I do ooo)

Don’t you wanna go to a place in your life
Where everyone around you looks just like you
Stars around shining bright Surrounded by black
Like you’re on a space flight
See, you don’t need a spaceship  To go to a different world (5)
It feels like home, But this is a different world
Where your skin fits in And everyone is different
You don’t have to fit a type You don’t have to be a token
You’re not defined bu preconceived notions
Love your life, drink your potion
You can be who you wanna be in this place
Safe from the hierarchy of race
Black folks from around the world in one location Vacation to:
Winston Salem and Prairie View, Langston, Dillard and TSU
Wiley College and VSU, Lane and Cheyney and FAMU
Clark Atlanta, Talladega, Tugaloo and Alabama state
Jackson and Delaware State North Carolina A&T, Bethune Cookman learn to teach,  Wilberforce plus 86 more.
P Diddy& Oprah were chilling on a Yacht,
They said, “Black college helped them Get the money that they got”
They said “I’ve had the time of my life… At a HBCU!”

I love my H in front of my “B”
My “B” in front of my “C”
I love my HBCU (I do I do ooo)
Ooooooooo I love my HBCU (I do I do ooo)
Blacker the college, the sweeter the knowledge x2

(1)- Using the theme of Coming to America, Soul Glo is a hair product that is featured in advertisements during the movie
(2)- Prince Akeem went to find his Queen in Queens, NY. He should have went to Spelman. Good God. (3)-  Hampton and Howard University often say they are the “real HU,” Though Hampton University was originally named Hampton Institute.
(4)- Plots are decorated locations that are sacred to the Divine Nine (African American Greek letter organizations). Do not step on these unless you are a member of that specific organization. The “Ques”, or members of Omega Psi Phi, are the greatest men in college. Kick it with them.
(5)- A Different World is a sitcom about students attending a HBCU.

SONG: H.B.C.U There

ARTIST: Griot B, School Yard Rap
-snip-
This rap includes a number of other African American and American media cultural references besides the five that were explained above in that summary.

I corrected a few spelling errors that were in this summary.

**** 
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment