Translate

Friday, March 10, 2023

A Timeline of "Shabooya Roll Call" Chants & Sayings (In Movies, Television, TikTok, YouTube & Other Social Media Sites) - Part II (2022-2023)



Disney MusicVEVO, April 22, 2022

The Proud Family is louder and prouder and FINALLY back to your screens! 
πŸ’œ The Proud Family: #LouderAndProuder, an all-new Original series, is streaming now only on #DisneyPlus.

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on Shabooya Roll Call chants and other uses of the words "shabooya roll call".

This post provides a partial chronological list of  "Shabooya Roll Call" chants or the words "Shabooya" or "Shabooya Roll Call" in movies, television shows, YouTube/TikTok videos,  and/or recorded songs from 2022 through March 2023. 

Videos of most of these entries are also included in this post along with brief information or links to information about those entries. 

Dependent on the example, this timeline includes all, some, or none of the words to these "Shabooya Roll Call "chants.

Links to most of these examples are given with each entry in this chronological list.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/01/a-chronological-list-with-videos-of.html for Part I of this pancocojams post. That post  provides my speculation about the origin of the word "shabooya". This post also presents the meaning of the word "roll call".

In addition, this pancocojams post also presents a chronological list of precursors of the "Shabooya roll call" chants as well as examples of the "Shabooya Roll Call" chants or the words "Shabooya" or "Shabooya Roll Call" in movies, television shows, and recorded songs (from 1996 through 2016.)  

Videos of most of these entries are also included in this post. However, the complete lyrics to these examples aren't included in these entries. 

The content of this post is presented for historical, cultural, and entertainment purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.
-snip-
If you are aware of any entries that should be added to this list, please share those entries in the comment section below.

****
EXAMPLES OF SHABOOYA ROLL CALL CHANTS (2022-2023) 

April 20, 2022 
Disney + and Feb. 4, 2023 Disney Channel -episode Old Towne Road (Part I)
The video of that "Shabooya Roll Call" example is given above.
Click https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Proud_Family:_Louder_and_Prouder for information about the animated television series The Proud Family- Louder and Prouder. Also, click  https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Old_Towne_Road#:~:text=The%20first%20part%20premiered%20on,and%20the%20season%20two for information about that episode.

Here are some information about the use of "Shabooya Roll Call" in that episode as well as the complete lyrics to that example from
https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Shabooya_(Roll_Call)
"Source

"Shabooya (Roll Call)" is a song that is featured in The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder episode "Old Towne Road". The song originated as an old African American chant, that was later made famous in the Spike Lee movie Get on the Bus. Since then, it has made appearances in other media, most notably Bring It On: All Or NothingIt's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Office.

The song is sung by the titular Proud Family on their way to Towne, Oklahoma with each family member listing off their certain characteristics. Penny Proud's moment in the song is cynical because of her frenemy LaCienega moving in on her boyfriend Kareem. Suga Mama does not participate in the song due to being tied up on the roof of the vehicle.

Lyrics

All:
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!

Oscar:
My name is Oscar (Yeah)!
I make Proud Snacks (Yeah)!
People call me snack master (Yeah)!
Women call me snack mack (Roll Call)!

All:
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!

Trudy:
My name is Trudy (Yeah)!
I am the boss (Yeah)!
'Cause I be running things (Yeah)!
'Cause I got that sauce (Roll Call)!

All:
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!

Bobby:
My name is Bobby (Yeah)!
I'm here to say (Yeah)!
I love my nachos (Yeah)!
With guacamole (Roll Call)!

All:
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!

BeBe:
My name's Bebe (Yeah)!

CeCe:
And I am CeCe (Yeah)!

Both:
We got to pee pee (What?)!
So stop the hooptee (Roll Call)!

All:
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!
Shabooya! Ya ya! Shabooya roll call!

Penny:
My name is Penny (Yeah)!
I'm here to say (Yeah)!
LaCienega's gonna pay (Yeah)!
If she steals my bae (What?)!"
-snip-
"Hoptee" is a 1970s or earlier old African American Vernacular English word for an old, beat up car.  

 ****
September 30, 2022- Hip Hop record entitled "Shabooya" by 
American record producer Hitkidd and American rappers Gloss Up and K Carbon featuring American rappers Slimeroni and Aleza" .Click https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabooya for information about this Hiip Hop record.

WARNING - This record and video includes lots of profanity, "the n word", and sexually explicit lyrics. In spite of that content, the audio from this song is used for many TikTok "Shabooya Roll Call" compilation/challenge videos, including TikTok "shorts" that feature tweens.

****
November 4, 2022
SHABOOYA Roll Call: Teacher EDITION πŸ€“πŸ”₯ #afterschool

 

It’s Me! Khalia V., November 4, 2022
-snip-
This is the first "Shabooya Roll Call Teacher's Edition" that I've found online. These videos are posted on TikTok and then on YouTube. They showcase African American elementary school teachers and their African American students in school chanting their own versions of "Shabooya Roll Call". 

Here's my transcription of this video (Additions and corrections are welcome) :

"Students: Shabooya
Sha sha shabooya roll call

Shabooya
Sha sha shabooya roll call

Shabooya
Sha sha shabooya roll call

Shabooya
Sha sha shabooya roll call

Teacher: Ayy
My name Khalia
Students - (Yeah!)
And I’m your teacher
(Yeah!)
Second grade and you know that I’m a diva
(Yeah!)
And I’m Ms. Tay
(Yeah!)
And I don’t play
(Yeah!)
The best teacher I don’t care what you say."
-snip-
In this video the students are showering their teacher with dollar bills as she chants her version of  "Shabooya Roll Call". The African American custom of "raining money" probably originated from the Nigerian (and some other African nations' custom of showing appreciation and best wishes for performers and for the bride and groom by showing them with paper money.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2011/09/pinning-birthday-dollars.html for a 2011 pancocojams post entitled "Pinning Birthday Dollars."
-snip-
In another Shabooya Roll Call Teacher's Edition video that I came across(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNVGyR7u9N4 Shabooya Roll Call!! Fun Friday!!! published by The Classy Teacher's Lounge, Jan 27, 2023) one girl's verse is very similar to the verse that Trudy chanted in Proud Family- Louder And Prouder's "Old Towne Road" episode (i.e. rhyming the word "bossy with "saucy". In this context, "saucy" means something like "having a lot of flava", "being bold not boring", "being charismatic", "being exciting" etc.)  

****
Jan. 28, 2023 - TikTok/YouTube video "If The Disciples Made Music" by Chris Chris. (This Tik Tok trend is called "Hallelujah Roll Call", "Shabooya Roll Call- If Biblical Characters Made Music" and other titles.



Chris Chris, Jan. 28, 2023
-snip-
This TikTok/YouTube video appears to be the first in a series of TikTok challenges that are loosely entitled "Hallelujah Roll Call" or "If Biblical Characters Made Music". Many of those TikTok/YouTube compilations include parts of Chris Chris' "If The Disciples Made Music" video.

The characters in these 
"Hallelujah Roll Call" or "If Biblical Characters Made Music" videos introduce themselves and chant using an adapted form of the Shabooya Roll Call chant. Some of these videos are called "Shabooya" - If Biblical Characters Made Music" or similar titles that include the word "shabooya". 

Here are two verses from this Chris Chris video:
"
fourth disciple: 
My name is Peter
(Peter)
I’ll cuss you out
(out)
But I’m saved now
So I’ll just shout
(Heeey!)
But if you ever run up on Jesus
and I’m near
(and I’m near)
Best believe
that I’m cuttin off your ear
(SLICE SLICE)

fifth disciple:
My name is Andrew
Peter is my brother
(Um hum)
I was catchin fish
I caught ’em like no other
(Um hum)
One day I was on the boat
to fish again
(Um hum)
When Jesus said You should be fishers of men
(Um hum)"
-snip-
These lyrics document how the lyrical formation for "Shabooya Roll Call" has changed from its 1996 Spike Lee Get On The Bus movie version and the 1006 Bring It On-All Or Nothing movie version till now. For instance, notice that in Chris Chris' (and others) 2023 "Hallelujah Roll Call" versions the soloist's verses don't have a consistent length and the responses to the soloist's words aren't consistent. 

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/03/chris-chris-if-disciples-made-music.html for the pancocojams post entitled "Chris Chris - "Hallelujah Roll Call" ("If the disciples made music") video & lyrics" for the complete transcription of that video .

****


Feb. 4, 2023 -"Women of black history month"

Kendria Bland, Feb. 1, 2023
-snip-
This video is part of a skit about three historical Black women (including Eve) who are chanting their "Shabooya Roll Call" verses about what they are known for and/or otherwise giving "attitude". 

In the order of their appearance, the women who are featured in this video are Rosa Parks, Eve, and Harriet Tubman.

Based on the comments in that video's discussion thread 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltmn22f-NBg  the full skit hasn't been uploaded to YouTube or other social media sites yet.  

Here's my partial transcription of that video. Additions and corrections are welcome. 

"Shabooya 
Sha Sha Shabooya Roll Call

My name is Rosa
(Yeah)
They say I'm supposeda
Sit in the back
But I'm tired here
So I'm gonna sit right here I'm supposed to
(Yeah)
Come get me up b-
It gonna take bout three, four, five men
And (imitating holding a shotgun) ???? 
[The rest of the women pull her back because she was about to go HAM (completely lose her control].

My name is Eve.
(Yeah)
I can't believe
Yeah
I trusted Satan, ate that apple.
He deceived
(Yeah) 
And, yeah I'm naked
I thought I was awakened
I was the first to do it
Y'all my daughters
We're related.
(Yeah)

Trick, I'm Big Harriet (pronounced "Harry") 
Don't call me slave, ho (whore)
(Yeah)
I'm from the underground railroad
I'm out the door
When I say "where" you betta go
???"

****
This concludes Part II of this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.
 

1 comment:

  1. Based on the lyrical structure of most pre-2022 "Shabooya Roll Call" chants, my guess is that most of the early examples of "Shabooya Roll Call" were chanted while performing cheers (including foot stomping cheers which were/are known for the group voice being heard first and then the soloist voice with the entire cheer being repeated by consecutive soloists.)

    The fact that verses and response to new versions of "Shabooya Roll Call" aren't consistent in their length may not be significant now because those chants aren't used as accompaniment for any movement routines.

    However, "keeping the beat" was of paramount importance when "Shabooya Roll Call" chants served as accompaniment to syncopated, choreographed movement routines. Chanting verses with arbitrary lengths would quickly result in those girls being "off beat".

    Furthermore, one of the values of foot stomping cheers was that every member of the group of chanters/foot stompers/cheerleaders had the same equal length time being the soloist. Also, each person only had one turn as the soloist.

    In addition, having inconsistent responses to the soloists' verses means that the group wouldn't know ahead of time what response to make. That's why only "Yeah" was used those early cheer versions of "Shabooya Roll Call".

    ReplyDelete