Translate

Monday, February 6, 2023

Memories Of James Brown's 1968 Record "Say It Loud- I'm Black and Proud"




Harley Ambrose, April 19, 2019

**** 

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest revision August 5, 2023

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on James Brown's 1968 mega-hit "Say It Loud: I'm Black And I'm Proud."

This post showcases a YouTube video of James Brown singing and dancing to his record "Say It Loud-I'm Black And I'm Proud."

This post also presents selected comments from various YouTube discussion threads of people sharing their memories of that record.

I'm particularly interested in documenting comments from Black American's memories of James Brown's "Say It Loud I'm Black And I'm Proud" in the late 1960s and the 1970s.

The content of this post is presented for historical, socio-cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to James Brown for his musical legacy. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of these sound files on YouTube.
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/02/the-meaning-of-your-bad-self-out-of.html for a pancocojams that presents some explanations about the lyrics to James Brown's  anthem "Say It Loud, I'm Black And I'm Proud".

****
SELECTED COMMENTS ABOUT JAMES BROWN'S "SAY IT LOUD: I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD
These discussion  threads are given in no particular order.

Numbers are added to these discussion threads and to these comments for referencing purposes only.
 
DISCUSSION THREAD #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb_1NNdf_30 [This is the sound file that was originally  embedded in a previous pancocojams post on that subject. That video is no longer available as of August 5, 2023.]

1. Phil Silverman, 2021
"I watched him do this live at the garden . All the whites in the crowd sang along ."
-snip-
"The garden" refers to the James Brown concert at Madison Square Garden, New York. New York on July 4, 1969

**
2. David Anderson, 2021
"
I was in grade school when this became popular. What a moment. Black instead of colored"

****
DISCUSSION THREAD #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hj1iWqoYEc Say it Loud- I'm Black and Proud James Brown, published by Harley Ambrose, April 19, 2019 

2020

1. elci p
"I was born in the fifties. When this song came out I was in elementary school, umm maybe 4th grade. This song was written and performed for my generation. We were ashamed to be called black. That was a fightin' word. The N word was a term of endearment among Blacks. So that was not a problem, except when white folks used it. Then it was an offense. We came in an array of brown shades, and black too. However we did not want to be called black. THAT ALL CHANGED WHEN THIS SONG CAME OUT. THIS SONG CHANGED OUR ENTIRE CULTURE. WE ALL AT ONCE BECAME BLACK AND PROUD. WHAT A JOY IT IS TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF!!!! WE WALKED HOME FROM SCHOOL. IT ONLY TOOK ONE PERSON TO START THE SONG OFF. EVERYONE WOULD JOIN IN WITH THE CHORUS "I'M BLACK AND I AM PROUD" say it loud "I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD." HISTORIC SONG INDEED. I AM HERE BECAUSE OF CHADWICK BOSEMAN,,R.I.P."
-snip-
As noted in this comment, I believe that references to children singing "Say It Loud, I'm Black And I'm Brown" in this pancocojams compilation and elsewhere refer to the chorus and not the verses of that song.

**
Reply
2. name, "I was around your age and I remember going home from a rival High School Football Game.  And back then we walked home very few had cars.  It only took a tape player and James belting out this song.  Everyone sang in UNISON....”I am Black and Proud”. "

**
Reply
3. Atif Hameen
"The song was like medicine for a people infected with the virus of racism!"

**
4. Rick Jones
"I remember buying this record and playing it on my front porch...My first thought was "White Folks gonna kill James"...The song was straight up fire...So you already know it did not get much air time on radio but the brotha's loved it and James Brown became known as "Soul Brotha Number One".That's fact..I was there."

**
Reply
5. Glen H
"You are very right about the air time. Even The availability in Europe was poor. Only 3 years ago I was able to get it ordered through Japan. Man I like the song."

**
6. Sheila Davis
"
Rick where I was living at the time when Say It Loud I'm Black & I'm Proud got a lot air time πŸ‘ August 23,2020"

**
7. Agnes Stallworth
"
 @Sheila Davis  Born and raised in Mississippi, it didn't. We could get a station out of Memphis, TN on a good day. I heard it then."

**
8. POND ERSOA
"
i remember  our lady of victory  west philly ...sunday  morning mass  "james brown is the most dangerous man in america !!!!  who does he think he is ..telling colored  people ..there black and proud !!!!!!"

****
2021

9. Gary Pautard
"I would like to remind certain modern day young people that us baby boomers spent many nights  on dance floors getting down to this . And Stax and Tamala Motown and of course reggae. ALL BLACK MUSIC."

**
10. Dallas Cash
"In 1968 I was a freshman in college at Central State University in Wilberforce, Ohio from Cincinnati, Ohio. That year my roommate Gary B., some friends, and I drove up to Columbus. Ohio to see James Brown and the band perform. We got to the stage and saw that only about 25% of the crowd was black. At that point we started taking bets among ourselves, now feeling disappointed, that James Brown was probably not going to sing " Say It Loud I'm Black and I'm Proud " to a mostly white crowd. None of us thought that the "Godfather of Soul" would come thru for us. We didn't have to wait long. The band started up, James Brown stepped out on the stage and the FIRST words out of his mouth were, Umph, with your bad self, "Say it loud I'm Black and I'm Proud." This song for most was the energy and bottom line of the 60's Civil Rights  Movement. RIP Godfather."

**
11. Ed Vanderslice
"We didn't have any  one growing up so I stole James Browns greatest hit from a record store. They seen me and chased me all over the place. I gave somebody at the door a classic head fake.., his legs buckled up and I was ghost.. I listened to that album a million times...."

****
2022

12. Tiberius 1701
"I used to play this song loud in my bedroom on my record player when i was 9 years old in 1968, happy memories. πŸ—£ ✊"

**
13. 
@DudesaLibra
"Just a classic song..and so funky everybody was singing it"

**
14.  @Tiberius291
"I used to play this song loud in my bedroom on my record player when i was 9 years old in 1968, happy memories. πŸ—£ ✊"

**
15. @angasanders172
"This song lifted an entire nation of Black people in 1968. Prior to that, calling someone Black might get you swung on. This was the most transformative song I have ever heard. And God knows, we need it now as much as then. Thank you, Mr. Brown, for recreating Black America."

**
@bluejazz517
"The first JB record I ever bought.  I still have the 45rpm and the album of the same name."
****

DISCUSSION THREAD #3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0A_N-wmiMo Say It Loud, I'm Black & I'm Proud-James Brown, published by GStrongRAW, Sep 2, 2009

Anthem of a  People...Say It LOUD...WHOever U R,Stand Proud!!

2012

1. Isetayo Criss
"I was running through the projects in New Orleans when the music truck came in the hood playing this.  So many kids and adults ran to the truck that he could not move we bought the 45 but kept him there until he played it twice while we danced.  Innocent days of hope and pride."

****
2013

2. Phil Silverman
"I saw JB July 4th, 1969 at Madison Square Garden, along with 25,000 others. I watched the white fans sing these lyrics along with the Black fans."

****

2014

****

2015


****
2016

3. William Parker
"The horn lines are funky!! I had the honor of seeing, feeling, and hearing him do this song live hot off the press in New Haven Ct. August 1968 at the Arena! When the crowd responded with the Black And Proud reply , it was so loud you couldn't hear the band!! I was so touched by this as a 12 year old manchild  that I cried from happiness that we finally stood with power!! SAY IT LOUD I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD!!! THANK-YOU GOD FOR SENDING THE LITTLE BOY FROM AGUSTA GA. THAT STOOD ON THE FRONT LINE, PROUD!!!"

**
4. Bert Davis
"
in a time when blacks were tear gassed, fire hose sprayed, spat on, and had hot coffee thrown in their faces  for simply wanted to be served in restaurants and treated like the equivalent human being God made them to whites, this song was a ray of sunshine and was a tremendous source of much needed pride for african amercans back in the 60's. I was a small child then but  remember my local theater still  having a particular section for blacks to sit in even after the law had been passed for legal" equality.

****
2017

5. Lee Harris
"I was about 12 when it came out,and the one thing i remember liking besides that boost of black pride and ego,was that the older blacks and the young blacks like me had our music in common,something very rare,having old and young people digging the same song,and so it lifted us up a little bit higher! it needed to be said, and sounded well to be the ring of truth, i was and am proud of what God made me to be, and always will love my people regardless of their faults, they have many more strengths to admire, and one of them is this song and Mr. James Brown a real man a leader and a visionary of soul power."

**
6. Benefits Consulting Services Of New York 
"This song was a Giant shot in the arm for our people at that particular time. Martin Luther King was killed a few months earlier. And we were angry and hurt. I remember this all too well. We needed this! This was when there was a message in the music. Something I don't hear now."

****
2018

7. Adrienne Robinson
"YES I AM BLACK AND I AM PROUD THIS WAS A HUGE HIT IN 1968 AND I WAS A CHILD THEN AND WE LOVED THIS SONG"

****
2019

8. Winnie Ford
"I was 6 years old when this song came out they were teaching young kids then about their heritage and being black and proud of who we were there the revolution was real real some of my friends and I went around the school yard singing this song we were so proud when that song came out say it loud say it proud"

**
9. Rita Stokley
"My fondest memory of this song was around the age of 7 walking down the street with my dad and brother around our neighborhood, my dad was playing it on his walkman and had me and my brother shouting it out loud. Makes me smile everytime I think about that night. I grew up a black girl proud of her blackness from the start."

**
2020

****
2021
10. Taren M
"I remember hearing this back in the late 60’s at a Birthday Party. We were kids and danced like there was no tomorrow off of this song. Those were the days"

**
11. M. Pam
"I'll never forget seeing James Brown in concert in 1968 Omaha, Nebraska-- a treat from my mom for my 13th birthday. I was a giddy young girl and totally in love with James Brown. I'll never forget that concert for the rest of my life. I even bought a "say it loud..." button before leaving the auditorium that evening. I wore it proudly on the cardigan of my catholic school uniform the following Monday. The school nuns (all white) didn't like it a bit. Of course, my mom was informed that I couldn't wear it to school anymore. It was just my 13 year old way of speaking truth to power; it was my little protest against having to endure the humiliation of being bused into an all white, west Omaha neighborhood to attend an all white catholic school every day. It was James Brown that fortified my sense of racial and self pride!!"

****
2022

12. @tigertolliver5199
"I met James Brown at Henry's grill on Auburn Avenue Atlanta Georgia he asked me what did I want for breakfast I said grits and eggs, and James said give him some grits,πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜„"

****

2023

13. @marshacrutchfield2432
"
This song came out several months after the assination of Martin Luther King. Politicians civil rights leaders and entertainers encourage James Brown to come up with music to help soothe the political climate, which was in turmoil riots looting etc. Black America was angry. This song say it loud I'm Black and I'm proud, actually brought some of the anger and madness under control. Which it was designed to do. Thank you James Brown. You the man"

**
14. @marilynjackson5983
"When we were in school, we had to do devotion before class stared. It gave us a sense of pride and power. However, those songs we sand was about America the beautiful. During that time, I was only 7 years old and definitely not aware how bad America hated Black people. Just imagine, if we could go back to the devotional days but replace the America the beautiful song with James Brown's Say it loud, I am Black and proud will give young Black girls and boys a sense of pride in their race! Something as this could stop the hatred within our Black children."

**

15. @roycobb8268
"
I was seven and a half years old when I first heard this song! I think it was released at the time, or around that time! And unfortunately, it came out around the time of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's assassination! It may have been good that it came out at that time! Cause Dr King fought for the rights of black people! And became a very good role model for not just black people! But all people! He showed us to be proud of being black! And to stand up for yourself and your rights! He also to some understanding! Fought for the rights of people of all races, regardless of race! To let the United States government know when they were doing something wrong! Or not doing something, about something when they should have! Instead of just sitting back doing nothing! Well back to the song! I think it was the first time I started listening to the radio! I don't think we had a radio before that! If we did, I don't remember my mother playing it! Three older brothers, who all had the same mother as I! But a different father, and they had the same father! Had moved back to Wisconsin from Tennessee! After living with their father for 5 years! They were teenagers, I again was just 7 years old! I think they started playing the radio after they moved back! Whatever the case, I'm glad I heard this song! I may didn't have the full understanding of it back then! But I think I understood something about being proud of being black! After learning and getting all the words to the song! I must of been over 50 then! And I sure was glad that James Brown recorded this song with these words! I thank God for the words! If I can, I would like to thank the late James Brown! RIP James Brown, Godfather of Soul, and Soul Brother#1! That's what the nickname that he was first given to my understanding, Soul Brother#1!"

****
DISCUSSION THREAD #4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bJA6W9CqvE "Say It Loud It Loud ~ I'm Black & I'm Proud"

published by BlackConsumers, Mar 20, 2011

James Brown wrote and recorded  this funk song in 1968. "Say It Loud ~ I'm Black & I'm Proud"  is one of Mr. Brown's signature songs, and one of the most popular Black Power anthems of the 1960s.

2016

1. doc2skate
"Remember many of us kids singing this at every opportunity in elementary school.  It gave us dignity and a feeling of empowerment.  And a lot of kids were encouraged to embrace their heritage."

****
2017

****
2018

2. bluewildcat1968 simmons 
"My Mom wrote this on my tee -shirt back I 1968. (Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud..."

**
3. Michael McGowan
"
I was twelve years old when this came out. I recall us going from colored to negro, to black, to afro American, back to black, back to African american. We are now between Black and or African American!"

**
4. Aretha Morgan
"l remember when this song was banned in the south. When it first came out. Thank goodness for change."

**
5. Denise Mitchell, 2018
"
gday luv

needed this so much growing up in Lily white

long island

thank goodness for the

Godfather and Queen

stood in the rain 3 hrs for the live album Mum made me

saw him 3 times..best show up

this generation

lacks PRIDE

I am Black and PROUD"

****
2019

6. Michael Means
"
That was me in the 5th grade with my darshike first ball saying it very loud, power to the people i,m very proud.!!!!
-snip-
"Darshike first ball" may refer to the first dance event (of the school year) when people dressed in African like clothing (including "dashikis"). 

**
7. Cathy Johnson
"
I remember as a child screaming this song up and down the street!!! James Brown is and was simply the best.  Social justice and sang for the cause rip Mr. Brown!!! πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡"

**

8. Sandra Dee Lawson
"I was one of those kids myself but they won't allow for me to say it for some reasons I do not know
back then. But I'm grown now. Lol!"

**
9. Queen Ayana
"This song ran a long time. All the kids sang black and proud in school and every where. What a great feeling it was to say it."

**
10. Queen Ayana
"
We drove the whole school crazy with this song. Still love it to this day."

****
2020

11. C. Callie Coleman
"James Brown was a God-sent, that's why he's called the godfather of soul. When this song came out, when I was a teenager during turbulent times, it's like it sent electricity through me, as my black pride came alive. I've always loved my black race, and loved it even more after this song. EVERYONE WAS BEAUTIFUL. We wore big afros, darskie shirts and dresses. It was a really groovy period. ✌"

**
12. Laben Brittenum
"
i seen JAMES BROWN live when i was maybe 6 or 7 and the only part of the show i can remember is hearing this song"

**
2021

13. Stacy McGuire
"Born in 1960, this song made me more proud than anything America was dishing out at the time, and still now. Mr. Brown, you will always have my deepest respect.."

**
14. firetopman
"I was 11 years old with my 79 cents in hand and this was my first song purchase."

**
15. Aristo Three
"I WAS 16 WHEN THIS SONG CAME LIVING IN LOS ANGLES GOING TO FREMONT H.S. AND GOING TO THE RECORD HOP ME MY CHILDHOOD SWEETHEART DOING THE BUMP ARISTO THREE FROM PITTSBURGH LIVE LOS ANGELES BUT WAS RISE IN WATTS. REMBER SAY IT LOUD IM BLACK AND IM PROUD YOU FILL ME"
-snip-
"You Fill Me" may be a typo for the African American Vernacular English saying "You feel me" which means "Do you agree with what I'm saying?"

**
16. LaShondra Miller
"I remember when i was a little girl my mother use to sing that song at the top of her lungs...then she would say sing it girl!!!....i would get so embarassed.. Not of being black but because we would be in the grocery store..πŸ™„"

****
2022

17. William Parker
"I was 12 years old when this came out in 1968 and I cried like a baby because somebody finally said it! JAMES BROWN!  I BEEN BLACK AND PROUD EVER SINCE!"

**
18. jan copeland
"Prior to this song, African Americans were referred to as Negroes.After song, overnight we became Black"

**
19. Johnny McNeal
"I remember this song too I was 10 years old when this song came out it gave us the power to be proud of our our race and not ashamed of it"

****
2023

20. Frederic Boxx
"
As a dark skin child this song gave me positive affirmation of self .. Thx James this song sparked pride in myself, it lift'd me up! The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice. If you don't know you better ask somebody "

**
21. tiray killings
"I was 6,and my mom had a record player andi played it all day."

****

DISCUSSION THREAD #5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrB4uQyU0DU "
James Brown "Say It Loud Im Black And Im Proud" 1968", published by Musique Γ  ausone, Dec 21, 2014

2019

1. @SailFreex
"I once, in the 1960s, went into a black bar in Louisiana, and a guy put a nickel in the juke box and played this song, and I sang along, putting my fist in the air.  I was passing for black.  I didn't believe in segregation."

****

DISCUSSION THREAD #6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBVVztMA4CQ "James Brown - Say It Loud, I'm Black And I'm Proud / If I Ruled The World (1968)", ukvibe.org, Feb. 22, 2013


2013

1. @ensconse
"not funny to me....just beautiful.....I watched JB do this song in front of 25,000 people at Madison Square Garden, and Blacks and Whites sang along."
-snip-
This comment was written in response to some people writing that it was funny to see White people singing "Say It Loud. I'm Black and I'm Proud".

****
2014

****
2015

****
2016

****
2017

2. @cooper482011
"To these hippie-era whites it’s just a song but to us Black Americans (from 1960s to the present day) it’s a self-loving statement. Thank you James Brown (Ancestor)❤️πŸ–€πŸ’š"

**
Reply
3. @tremekawilson9238, 2019
"Oh yes"

****
2019

4. @bigpeaches1744
"I remember when this song came out. They didn't want this song to exist. A lot of dance shows were afraid to James Brown to sing on their shows. They were afraid what the white people was going to react to the lyrics. But as we can see, the white people love it too. James Brown and others broke down the barriers so that we can perform our music everywhere. Rest easy Mr. Brown and have the all angels sing, I'm Black and I'm Proud. ❤πŸ’–πŸŽΌπŸŽΆπŸŽ·πŸŽΈπŸŽΉπŸŽΊπŸŽ»πŸ₯"

**
5. @valendanewell5901
"The original FUNK TEACHER..JAMES let the world know the most important movement in this country...SAY IT LOUD I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD...and then going on tour spreading the word (1968)...I remember as I was up in the bleachers  singing along with him..SOUL BROTHER NO.1 (RIP)"

**
6. @theironhorse8227
"I Have So Much Love for James Brown. I'm so Glad I grew up hearing him through my household speakers."

**
7. @manjushahshah6401
"It reminds us the time of 1960 while the civil right movement was its peak. The afro american were suffering from identity crises , sir Martin Luther king emerge as a leader who fought for their rights, though it was not only the question of their rights but also their self esteem. This movement started from the phrase " black is beautiful." "

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment