Translate

Monday, August 29, 2022

"Smooth", "Hot", "Cool", And Other Superlatives That Refer To A 2009 Video Of The "Terminal Reaction" Soul Line Dance



iamkennyj, May 29, 2009

Song: "I Don't Need It"
Artist: Jamie Fox
-snip-
This line dance was created by 
Ray Boyd & Tony Cee.
Total number of viewers as of August 29, 2022 at 9:55 AM =  
2,103,162

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a two part pancocojams series that showcases the 2009 YouTube video of the "Terminal Reaction" Soul line dance that was performed by a group of New Jersey dancers.

This post also includes selected comments from the discussion thread of this embedded video. This compilation documents some of the comments from that discussion thread that include superlatives about that line dance performance.

I'm particularly interested in comments that document some examples of African American Vernacular English terms which mean that something is "great" and/or "performed very well".  

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/08/shoutouts-to-white-members-black.html __ for Part II of this pancocojams series. 
That post documents some of the shoutouts from the discussion thread of that 2009 "Terminal Reaction" Soul line dance video that refer to White members of that dance group and/or the Black members of that dance group. That pancocojams post also includes some general comments from that discussion thread that refer to White people performing Soul line dances.

The content of this post is presented for socio-cultural, linguistic, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are featured in this video and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CUf6MKhV0


Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

2009

1.soulmannow
"This is really heavy.Come on w/the inst video.

THAX>"
-snip-
inst= instructional

Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XaX7i8bsj0 for an instructional video of the Terminal Reaction line dance (instructions by Ray Boyd). There are other instructional videos for this line dance on YouTube. 
 
****
2010

2. New Life Ministries
"This dance is off the chain,Whew  wee!"

****
2011 

3. Ebony Coats
"Yall dont know bout that = OLD SKOOL killin it!!! Love it!!"

** 
4. MR. FOXX ENTERTAINMENT
"AMAZING"

**
5. sdotlawson
"They Killed it..."

** 
6. Smokezz 000
"these guys aree too dope hahaha"

****
2012 

7. SUDoll87
"Is that Krystal by Kenny J? she is killing it.......I love her style and Ray Boyd what can I say.........this is HOT!!!!"

**
8. RTree613
"yea this is hot... a how to would be great! " 
-snip-
"A how to" = an instructional video

**
9. cortez campbell
"This is the hottest one yet!!"

****
2013

10. ruapraia
"smooth as freaking silk!!!!"

****
2014

****
2015

****
2016

****
2017

11, jay washington
"they real tight seriously"

**
12. Otis Williams
"All of them are just great"

****
2018

13. Damani Baraka
"I love it but it's to complex for the average person which means it probably won't catch on."

****
2019

14. Debbie Bloodworth
""ALL GET DOWN NOW Y'ALL"๐Ÿ‘ Oh I need to learn this hustle it's smooth, with NICE footwork๐Ÿค—."

**
Reply 
15. iamkennyj
"Learn this Terminal Reaction Dance Step by Step on Wednesday, April 1, 2020.  During these trying times, I invite you to join me for free online (virtual) line dance lessons. Mondays for beginners, Wednesdays for advanced, and then Thursdays, it’s Gospel hour. Log onto my Facebook page (Iamkennyj) at 7pm each night to get your line dance on. I am Facebook live streaming, so you do not need a link or password or even an invite, just come on in and get your dance on"
-snip-
"During these trying times" refers to the Covid-19 pandemic (corona virus) and the lockdowns to prevent the spread of that virus. 

**
16. PRJ-M
"Smooth I love it great job"

**
17. Moonlight X
"So cool,nice moves"

**
18. Truth Spoken
"I’m a fan of this dance!!!!!!! I HV NEVER EVER HEARD OF IT...... but oooooh wow thank you guys for putting this out so the world could see!! Be blessed"

**
19. Cheryl Johnson
"I know I am a day late and a dollar short. I am not a big fan of the Hokey Pokey(line dancing). But this one would make me cut a rug. Good job fellas๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘."

**
20. Linda R.
"SMOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

**
21. paul lewis
"Nice"

**
22. Cynthia Blakes
"They did that ."

**
23. LSlade1207
"This aint your average line dance... This some off Broadway choreography! Who made this up??? Debbie Allen... Alvin Ailey????"

**
24. One Love 21
"Go Head My People....Do the Damn Thang!!!! I LUV IT!!!!"

**
25. Shantrice Lashay
"How did I get here?? They got off tho"

**
26. Sue Davies
"Fabulous, just fabulous ๐Ÿ’–"

** 
27. Explore Greer
"2019 good!!"

**
28. Diane Regan
"JUST SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SMOOTH.  LOVE THIS.  LOVEEEEEEEE"

**
29. Tonette White
"Das old school takin new school too school.

Thanks for the memories yal. Go head!"

**
30. Meo Medina
"WOW!!!! Ya'll make it look so easy, lol, but I know all too well that that is Hard Work!!!!! GREAT JOB. YA'LL!!!!!!!!"

**
31. Erban Khoul
"One of THE MOST complex line dances out there.  A whole 1min & 54secs before the steps repeat themselves."

**
32. Carol Gumede
"I love the this dance where can I go to learn it lol so cute big up my people"

**
33. Denise Rodriguez
"The front row is getting  down"

****
34. BRENDA Lem
"work IT, work IT, work IT, work IT"

** 
35. Nikki Jackson
"Very Classy you dont see that no more love it .......๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜"

**
36. 
jay ray
"That's tight. I like it.  I got lost after he said "Gimme some music". Give me about a year or two, I'll have it down."

****

2020

37.Navlette Mcfarlane
"Super cool  wow pure class Now this is  Line dancing HaHa๐Ÿ˜"

**
38. Ducky Lou Diva
"This is tight as hell, love it"

**
39. Gidjet Bryant
"I ๐Ÿ’– this everytime I watch it..Our black ⚫ is beautiful ๐Ÿ’ฏ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–"

**
40. CynaminGirl
"@RayfieldA. Yeah. I'm just seeing this too and it's 2020 in the Age of Covid19. This is the joint. They even got social distancing! Ain't no half-steppers here. Thanks @iamkennyj for sharing."

**

41. Maria Mercedes Mena
"๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎEspectacular y Sorprendente๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’‹❤๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘"
-snip-
Google translate from Spanish to English:
“Spectacular and Surprising”

**
42. Breewilly
"Dawg!!! At what point does it stop being a line dance and become a full on choreographed dance!?!? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚"

**
Reply
43. Linda Owens 
"The outstanding linedances are choreographed by some very talented people."

**
44. Connie Miller
"Y'all better do the dog-gone thang!!"

**
45. E M
"Amazing stepping.....Go steppers!!!"

**
46. Claudio Presidente
"As danรงas (passinho) que reรบne a galera nas festas, bailes e etc.... em vรกrios ritmos, รฉ realmente sensacional.     Nรณs anos 70/80 era uma febre. Era bom demais. Muitas saudades."
-snip-
Google translate Portuguese to English:
"The dances (passinho) that bring the crowd together at parties, dances and etc.... in various rhythms, are really sensational. In the 70's/80's it was a fever. It was too good. Miss you very much." 

**
47. Muriel Fields
"Smooth. Now, That's line dancing."

**
48. Miss Rita
"Great dancers. Love that song."

** 
49. Katia Geane 
"Muito bom ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘"
-snip-Google translate from Portuguese to English:
"Very good ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘"**

**
50. Joyce McDuffie
"You guys was doing the.damn thang uh lol I love it"

**
51. Irene Mariano
"Lindoooo aqui รฉ!!! ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท"
-snip-
Google translate from Portuguese to English:
"Beautiful here it is"

**
52. B VA
"In Cleveland we have different steps to this song...I like this also."

**
53. Marie L.
"They did that!!!"

**
54. red pilled
"beautiful!This is how we oldschool do it!"

****
2021

55. Robert Rodriguez
"I enjoy the James Brown shuffle it's a very nice way to exercise great job"

**
56. Sue Dixon
"I love it old school vibe

Fab dancing I am jealous"

** 
57. Pamella Quinones
"Love line dancing..the foot work was all that.."

**
58. kelley powers
"That's the Sh-t* !! ๐Ÿ’ฏ๐Ÿ’ฏ✌๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™✌๐Ÿ’ฏ"
-snip-
*This word is fully spelled out in this comment.

**
59. Naeem Hudson
"Man they all killed it I watch this over and over because their all getting it!!!!"

**
60. Lynette Bailey
"Adult people dancing.  Just so gorgeously on point.  Serious workout."

**
61. Annette McILwain
"THAT'S WHAAAAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! "YA'LL DID THAT"๐Ÿ‘ˆ"

**
62. Ardel Addison
"Right!! They doing it ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ"

**
63. BeComing Ms. LaKiesha Chavon DeLoatch
"Yesssss they are jamming ๐ŸŽผ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ #smooth"

**
64. Marnishia Mitchell
"Beautiful Awesome and Amazing"

**
65. Deborah Williams
"Yall put it down"

**
66. PEACE __
"๐Ÿ‘ Ayyyyeee....get it now"

** 
67. Pamella Quinones
"I Love line dancing..the foot work was all that.."

**
68. Fyendi Ashenrad
"They all shut it down !!!!

Get it y'all"

**
69. LoveFlatfootin1
"They're so good they make line dancing look very cool."

****
2022

70. L Y N
"Seriously....cool...stepping. Show me how it's done!!!"

**

71. Patty Pollard
"Awesome dancing you all rock it….shake what your mama gave you all…❤️"

**
72. Woman With An Opinion
"They all are getting it!!"

**
73. Elaine Smith
"I like this. Good vibe"

** 
74. Pupp50
"ALRIGHT!"

**
75. SYSTER PROJECT
"Well done! Timeless inspiration!"

**
76. Rozenia Johnson
"One of the best hustles that I've seen in quite some time."

**
77. denise bailey
"I love this grown folks dance"

**
78. Jackie Humphery
"They on point they got rhythm love it"

**
79. Nettie Johnson
"Yesssss!!!! A good  song ๐ŸŽถ for a line dance!!  Everybody moving the same no extra!! I like it ♥️"

** 
80. Captain Keyboard
"๐Ÿ˜ƒThese people know how to step in rhythm. This would be an idea party for me. The ladies and gentlemen went above and beyond the means. They got class and they got style."

**
81. Leah Doerr
"Hello from Cody Wyoming! You guys are awesome keep it up๐Ÿค  that was so entertaining and it made me smile๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ"

** 
82. sylvie lauziere de la roque
"Trop beau bravo j adore"
-snip-
Google translate French to English:
"Too beautiful congratulations I love it"

**
83. 
jacqueline german
"Line Dancing Masters!"

**
84. Joseph Boxmeyer
"COOKIN'!!! So, how many times have I watched this now?  But who's counting?  Gotta love it.  So many thank yous.  Where do I need to go to take a class?  I want to do that on skates."

**
85. 
Shirley R. Jones
"Great video. Found this March 2022 from Canada. Thank you all"

**
86. Bea Tiger
"Wow, just wow๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ•บ๐Ÿป๐ŸŽต๐Ÿ’ฅ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ"

**
87, CLEANING CREW
"
FLY!"

**
88. 
Big Popa
"Okay, I'm just sitting here minding my business when I came across this video.  IF YOU ALL DIDN"T HAVE ME SITTING HERE IN MY CHAIR GETTING DOWN WITH YOU I don't know what the truth is!  You all tore it down, built it up and then put some seasoning on it!  YOUBETTERWORK!"

****

This concludes Part I of this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment