Translate

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

"Glory Glory Hallelujah Since I Laid My Burdens Down" (with historical information, a YouTube video, & three lyric examples)


Truegospelman, Nov 17, 2016

Pastor Austin Hill - Since I Laid My Burdens Down Lyrics:

Verse 1

Glory, glory, hallelujah,
since I laid my burden down.

Glory, glory, hallelujah,
since I laid my burden down.

Verse 2

My friends don't treat me like they
used to
since I laid my burden down.

My friends don't treat me like they
used to
since I laid my burden down.

Verse 3
I feel better, so much better
since I laid my burden down.

I feel better, so much better
since I laid my burden down.

Verse 4

I feel like shouting, hallelujah,
since I laid my burden down.

I feel like shouting, hallelujah,
since I laid my burden down.

Verse 5

I am climbing Jacob's ladder
since I laid my burden down.

I am climbing Jacob's ladder
since I laid my burden down.

Verse 6

Every round goes higher and higher
since I laid my burden down.

Every round goes higher and higher
since I laid my burden down.

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams  post presents historical information about the African American Gospel song "Glory Glory Hallelujah Since I Laid My Burdens Down". Lyrics for two earlier examples of this religious song are also included in this post.

This post also showcases a YouTube video of "Since I Laid My Burdens Down" with lyrics for that example.

The content of this post is presented for religious and cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all of those who are featured in this video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.
-snip-
Notice that the publisher of this video describes this song as "an old time Gospel" song.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/02/examples-of-glory-glory-hallelujah.html for Part I of a 2015 two part pancocojams series that showcases various YouTube videos of  "Glory Glory Hallelujah Since I Laid My Burdens Down". The link for Part II is included in that post.

Also, click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2022/03/alpha-kappa-alpha-sorority-inc.html for a 2022 pancocojams post entitled "Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. - "The Alphabet" (A Stroll Song That Is Based On The African American Gospel "Since I Laid My Burdens Down")."

****
HISTORY OF THE AFRICAN AMERICAN SPIRITUAL/GOSPEL SONG "SINCE I LAID MY BURDEN DOWN"
Excerpt #1
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory,_Glory_(Lay_My_Burden_Down)
" "Glory, Glory" (also known as "When I Lay My Burden Down", "Since I Laid My Burden Down", "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah" and other titles) is an American spiritual song, which has been recorded by many artists in a variety of genres, including folk, country, blues, rock, and gospel. It is typically very melodically similar to another popular gospel song, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken".”…

****
Excerpt #2
From http://theanthologyofamericanfolkmusic.blogspot.com/2010/04/since-i-laid-my-burden-down-elders.html
"Since I Laid My Burden Down" is an extremely popular song, having been covered several times by artists ranging from Mississippi John Hurt and Furry Lewis to Odetta and the Byrds. It has been recorded as folk, country and rock and roll. Its origins are obscure, but it probably originated in the United States during the late 19th century.

Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.
Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.

All my troubles will be over,
When I lay my burden down.
All my troubles will be over,
When I lay my burden down.

Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.
Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.

All my sickness will be over,
When I lay my burden down.
All my sickness will be over,
When I lay my burden down.

Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.
Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.

All my troubles will be over,
When I lay my burden down.
All my troubles will be over,
When I lay my burden down.

Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.
Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.

Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.
Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.

All my sickness will be over,
When I lay my burden down.
All my sickness will be over,
When I lay my burden down.

Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.
Glory glory, hallelujah,
Since I lay my burden down.

The act of laying one's burdens down is commonly referred to in Christianity. In John Bunyan's allegory, A Pilgrim's Progress, the title character carries a "burden" with him, which is suddenly removed from his shoulders upon arrival at "the place of deliverance" (allegorically the cross at Calvary and the open sepulcher of Christ). The "burden" represents those things which are associated with the material world, as well as ones worries, cares, aliments, and (most importantly) ones sins. The image of the "burden" is present in other gospel songs, such as "Take Your Burden To The Lord and Leave It There" by Washington Phillips.

The word "hallelujah" is a Hebrew word meaning "praise Yahweh." It is an expression of thanks or adoration.”…

****
Excerpt #3
From http://jopiepopie.blogspot.com/2015/11/since-i-laid-my-burden-down-1928-when-i.html
by donderdag 5 november 2015
"Happy in Prison (1927) / Since I Laid My Burden Down (1928) / When I Lay My Burden Down (1929) / Glory, Glory (1948) / Gonna Lay My Burden Down (1954), Roly Poly (1962)

"Since I Laid My Burden Down" (also known as "When I Lay My Burden Down", "Glory, Glory", "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah", "Happy In Prison" and other titles) is an American spiritual song, which has been recorded by many artists in a variety of genres, including folk, country, blues, rock, and gospel.

Its origins are obscure, but it probably originated in the United States during the late 19th century.

[…]

In 1925 the song was published (as song # 66 on page 53) in the gospelbook "Saint Helena Island Spirituals", compiled  by Nicholas George Julius Ballanta-Taylor

Published by G. Schirmer, Inc. New York.

1. Glory Glory Hallelujah
When I lay my burden down
Glory Glory Hallelujah
When I lay muh burden down

2. I gonna climb Jacob’s ladder
When I lay my burden down
I gonna climb Jacob’s ladder
When I lay my burden down

3. I wonder what mothers goin’ to do dat day
When I lay my burden down
I wonder what mothers goin’ to do dat day
When I lay my burden down

4. I wonder what mother wants to stay her for
When I lay my burden down
I wonder what mother wants to stay her for
When I lay my burden down
-snip-
Two other Gospel songs that include verses from "Since I Laid My Burden Down" are "
I Got A New Home Over In Zion" and "Can't Nobody Do Me Like Jesus".

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment