Translate

Saturday, June 12, 2021

Jon Batiste - "Freedom" (video, lyrics, and comments)



Jon Babtiste, June 10, 2021

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post provides information about Jon Baptiste and showcases his song "Freedom".

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Jon Baptiste for his musical legacy and thanks to all those who are associated with that song and its official YouTube video. Also, thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT JON BAPTISTE
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Batiste
"Jonathan Michael Batiste (born November 11, 1986)[2] is an American musician, bandleader, and television personality.[3] He has recorded and performed with artists in various genres of music (Stevie Wonder, Prince, Willie Nelson, Lenny Kravitz, Ed Sheeran, and Mavis Staples), released his own recordings, and performed in more than 40 countries. Batiste regularly tours with his band Stay Human,[4] and appears with them nightly as bandleader and musical director on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert since 2015.[5][6]

Batiste also serves as the Music Director of The Atlantic and the Creative Director of the National Jazz Museum in Harlem. In 2020, he acted as co-composer on the Pixar animated film Soul, for which he received a Golden Globe, BAFTA, and an Academy Award for Best Original Score with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.[7]"...

****
LYRICS: FREEDOM
(Jon Baptiste)

When I move my body just like this
I don't know why
But I feel like freedom (Freedom)
I hear a song that takes me back
And I let go with so much freedom (Freedom)
Free to live (how I wanna live)
I'm gon get (what i'm gonna get)
'Cause it's my freedom (Freedom)

I love how you talk
You speaking my language
The way that you walk
You can't contain it
Is it the shoes
Jumped up, kangaroo
We're overdue for a little more prancing

Now it's your time
(It's your right)
You can shine
(It's alright)
If you do
I'ma do too

When I move my body just like this
I don't know why
But I feel like freedom (Freedom)
I hear a song that takes me back
And I let go
With so much freedom (Freedom)
Free to live (How I wanna live)
I'm gon get (What I'm gonna get)
'Cause it's my freedom (Freedom)

The reason we get down, is to get back up
If someones around, Go on let them look
You can't stand still
This ain't no drill
More than cheap thrills, (Feels like money money money)

Now it's your time
(It's your right)
You can shine
(It's alright)
If you do
I'ma do too

'Cause when I look up to the stars (Stars)
I know exactly who we are (Ooh)
'Cause then I see you shinin'
You shinin'
You shinin' oh!

Free to be!

(Everybody come on) (Freedom!)
(Everybody come ‘round)
(Everybody come on)
(Everybody hit the floor)
Come on now!

I'm stuck to the dance floor
With the, with the whole tape
With the, with the, with the whole tape
(Let me see you wobble)
I'm stuck to the dance floor
With the, with the whole tape
With the, with the, with the whole tape
(Let me see you shake)
Give you just what you ask forgivin' you the whole shake
I'ma give you the whole shake
(Let me see you wobble)
I'm stuck to the dance floor
With the, with the whole tape
With the, with the, with the whole tape
(Can you make it break?)

I say yeah (Yeah)
Oh yeah (Oh yeah)
(Let me see you wobble)
'Cause, you do
I'ma do too

When I move my body just like this
I don't know why
But I feel like freedom (Freedom)
I hear a song that takes me back
And I let go
With so much freedom (Freedom)
Free to live (How I wanna live)
I'm gon get (What I'm gonna get)
'Cause it's my freedom (Freedom)

Source: https://paroles2chansons.lemonde.fr/paroles-jon-batiste/paroles-freedom.html

According to https://genius.com/Jon-batiste-freedom-lyrics [whose lyrics can't be copied and pasted], this song was first released on March 19, 2021 
****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YHVC1DcHmo

All of these comments are from June 10 through June 12, 2021. Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

1. Avin Squires
"I loved spotting all the little nods to New Orleans in this video, the second-line style dancing, Mardi Gras Indians, the little kids drumming on fleur de lis buckets, Spanish moss, brightly painted houses, the St. Aug Marching Knights, and more. This video makes my heart both full and incredibly homesick. You nailed it again, Jon! Fantastic job by a true artist."

**
Reply
2. Zen Alchemist
"Little nods???  Hahaha. The entire video and the soul of the music IS new orleans ,,๐Ÿ˜‹"

**
Reply
3. Avin Squires
"@Zen Alchemist  hahaha fair enough. ❤️⚜"️

**
4. Kurt Zwar
"Fantastic Jon Batiste.  Love it all.....Jon's voice, his song, his great pink suit and his fantastic dancing.  Got the whole neighborhood on it's feet and shakin' in time.  Men wearing color is great.  Freedom is the word Jon sings.  Great touch with the Hammond B3 sending out the gospel groove.  New Orleans looks fantastic and Louis Armstrong is smiling from above.  God bless Jon Batiste.  I hope he has much more to come for all America.  We all need it."

**
5. Clairemyst Charles
"Hey Jon. Just had my second vaccine.  Woke up to this.  An Entire MOOD. Now on to the fight about voting rights. We gonna keep going strong"

**
6. Emily Sanders
"I love this song! It's so vibrant and positive! LOVE the dancing and all of the talented performers in this video!!!"

**
7. voirworks
"I NEEDED this today. So much. Sooooo much. Thank you Jon and your entire team. What sweet relief you bring to the world ❤"

*️*
8. Yvonne roberts Roberts
"It's pure happiness just listening to him sing and watching him dancing...He is a "Performer " and I  adore him...Jon Batiste, You have truly accepted Your ASSIGNMENT!!๐Ÿฆ‹๐Ÿ™"

**
9. Joel Germany
"Just when I thought the world had lost the Funk.....this guy jumps in my ears and suddenly there's some hope."

**
10. M M
"10 years ago when Stephen Colbert announced that the music director and band for his show was Jon Batiste and Stay Human, like many people, I said, "Who Dat?". Now, it's clear who dat is! What a pure joyful talent! I hope Jon and SH come back live to The Late Show next week!"

**
11. Sammy Ytube
"So happy that he is making success outside of late show.  Not everyone who come from late night back up bands can transition to solo artists.  And he is keeping his music so cultural."

**
12. Andy Cordy
"Big up for the design team!

Everything about this video is heartwarming and positive but the moment when the group of bare chested young men appear, the carefully chosen colour of their pants is a masterstroke! Subtle, brilliant, shear genius."

**
13. Simply Beautiful
"What an honor to live in this generation and see amazing talent like this? You make me appreciate my freedom Jon, as a black immigrant who has been trying to understand the land I am in and adjust to the culture I am glad I don't have to feel like I am less of a person. I have much to be thankful for and this song reminds me of that. I love your art!"

**
14. StevieB!
"This is like the ghost of James Brown collaborating with Andre 3000, only better."

**
15. Ebba
"BRAVO!!!! You are such an amazing artist. We love your spirit, talent, passion, activism, and love for yourself and others. Thank you for showing off your beautiful New Orleans hometown. Peace!! ^~^"

**
16. Susan Ritter
"What a celebration of life in all it's beautiful forms. Jon Batiste continues to amaze and bless us."

**
17. Shawn Delahoussaye
"What a great video and sentiment. The leaned back single file stride reminds me of the work of Ernie Barnes."

**
18. channellingjoy
"At 2:09, "Cause when I look up to the stars, I know exactly who we are." Are these figures representative of Orishas? If so, which? And if not, what/who are they?"

**
Reply
19. N B
"No it's not African. It's the Black Indians of  NOLA Mardi Gras culture. A black American cultural  tradition.

https://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/history/mardi-gras-indians/ "

**
20. Yanti Turang
"Incredible!! Shout out to Alex Willson - Producer!!"

**
21. 
Doug Cleverley
"SO. MUCH. JOY. Respect to the ancestors too. I love it!!!"

**
22. Murray Tocker
"So much coolness right there.

We hear u Jon. All da way from here in South Africa!"

**
23. Hannah Bohannon
"Jon looks like a mixture of Babyface and Goldie from the original The Mack movie, and this gave me a Pharrell vibe. Dope"

**
24. Heather Lynn Dhemba
"Jon is such a vibe"

**
25. BLT4LIFE
"Anyone else hear "Watermelon Man - Herbie Hancock"?"

**
26. Emma Anderson Beavers
"If Juneteenth had an anthem"

**
27. Bruce Wharton
"I love you bruthaaaaaaaa!!! POWERFUL!!!"

**
28. Sadd Braker
"The beat is sickkk๐Ÿฅต❤️‍๐Ÿ”ฅ"

**
29. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿพ๐ŸŒŽ๐Ÿ”๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿฆ‹๐Ÿ˜‡๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒฌ๐ŸŒณ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿฝ
"FreeeeeeeeeeeeDooooooooommmmmmmm๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿฆ‹๐ŸŒŽ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿพ☮️❤️"

**
30. J Riley Cain
"Yeah! That's our town! So Look like down in the Bywater, Treme and Marigny! So funky, so cool."

**
31. peachesandpoets
"My mans is pure black magic. Love you so much JB"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment