Translate

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Jon Batiste: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert (with comments from the discussion thread of Jon Baptiste's I Need You" video)


NPR Music, May 11, 2020

This performance was recorded on Nov. 8, 2019. We will continue releasing Tiny Desk videos of shows that had already been taped. In light of current events, NPR is postponing new live tapings of Tiny Desk Concerts. In the meantime, check out Tiny Desk (home) concerts! They’re recorded by the artists in their home. It’s the same spirit — stripped-down sets, an intimate setting — just a different space.

May 4, 2020 | Bob Boilen -- Jon Batiste came to the Tiny Desk with some surprises back in November of 2019. Midway through his set, he stopped to say, "it's the first time we're ever playing these songs, and it's the first time we're playing together." The New Orleans musician came to the Tiny Desk not with his late-night house band, but with an all-new cast. His all-female collaborators — Endea Owens on acoustic bass, Negah Santos on percussion, Sarah Thawer on drums, and Celisse Henderson on guitar and vocals — were an inspiration.

As is often the case when musicians perform in Washington (and especially blocks from the Capitol) the banter hinted at the political. Jon Batiste stopped to tell the NPR crowd, "we're playing some music, and we're coping. The times are in an interesting place, but music is always that universal language that can bring people in a room together." Little did Jon know how those words would feel six months later.

Jon Batiste took us through some of the many sides of his rich musical history, from the soulful ballad titled "Cry," to the jazz and hip-hop inspired, "Coltrane" and a rocking Motown-inspired tune, "Tell The Truth," before ending with a bit of church with, "I Need You." In just over 15 minutes, Jon Batiste bounced from playing the Wurlitzer to the electric guitar to the piano and then a melodica, all the while singing and sharing his talents and bringing us joy in interesting times.

SET LIST

"Cry"

"Coltrane"

"Tell The Truth"

"I Need You"


MUSICIANS

Jon Batiste: vocals, piano, Wurlitzer, guitar; Endea Owens - acoustic bass; Negah Santos: percussion; Sarah Thawer: drums; Celisse Henderson: guitar, vocals

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on African American musician, singer Jon Baptiste and his song "Try Me".

This post showcases a video of Jon Baptiste's Nov. 2019 NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert which includes his song "Try Me". 
 Selected comments from the discussion thread for the official YouTube video of "Try Me" are also included in that post.Selected comments from the discussion thread for that song's official video are also included in this post.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2021/02/jon-batiste-i-need-you-video.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. Part I  showcases the official YouTube video of Jon Baptiste's Jazz song "Try Me" and provides information abou that African American musician and singer.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Jon Baptiste for his music. Thanks also to the dancers and all those who are associated with the video that is embedded in this post. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE OFFICIAL YOUTUBE VIDEO FOR JON BAPTISTE'S 
SONG "I NEED YOU"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXT00sWwuTQ&ab_channel=JonBatisteVEVO

All of these comments were posted between Jan 22, 2021 and Feb. 3, 2021 as of this post's publishing time . These comments are given in relative chronological order with the oldest comments given first, except for replies. Numbers have been added for referencing purposes only.  

1. Linda
"
A friend asks, Is Jon a musician? Singer? Dancer?

No.

Jon. Is. Music"

**
Reply
2. Kosine Palacios

"FACTS"

**
3. 
 Sherry B.
"
This is a bop. So much positive energy and I love the nod to 40's/50's Black culture and Swing music."

**
4. 
Morgan Day
"
Dancers:

Nikki Marvin and Mikey Pedroza

Marielys Molina and Denzel Chisom

Tatiana Barber and Tislarm Bouie"

**
5. 
Laurie Ellington
"
Who's the choreographer?"

**
Reply
6. 
brclyn
"
@Laurie Ellington Choreographer: Jemel McWilliams (@jemelmcwilliams) it's in the original credits of the vid with the production crew."

**
7. 
DA Este
"
Jon Batiste everybody... Can’t wait to hear it. When we settle down with this pandemic, I wanna see you perform. Love the positive attitude... stay happy."

**
8. 
Shim Novak
"For 
Jon Batiste and all the team: we love you!! Thanks for bringing so much joy to our lives."

**
9. 
Mike
"
Loving this tune! Can I say fresh, wholesome and well....soulful! Optimism is the mantra for 2021: we will be dancing to this on the dancefloor and it receives the millions of views it deserves"

**
10. 
Chris Winkler
"
I like how the security guard exited after telling them they'll be closing soon. Great stuff as always, Jon. Stay unique and awesome, friend =)"

**
11. 
Adriana
"
The security officer literally made me laugh!"

**
Reply
12. 
George Mellen
"
I love his "Exit Glide"!  Does anybody know who he is?"

**
Reply
13. 
Adriana
"
@George Mellen Yes, he was so graceful! I'd love to know who he is, as well, if anyone knows!"

**
Reply
14. 
Zuma Zuma
"
I don't know who he is, but from the distance he looks a little like Frankie Manning (who is dead now). I wonder if that was on purpose."

**
Reply
15. 
Katie Spinner
"
@Zuma Zuma I thought that too and even thought maybe it was chazz (his son) but the guard looks too young for it be chazz."

***
16. 
Marius Doru
"
how cool is this song?? I can't even... "

**
17. 
David Mercer
"
He started looking nerdy and ended up way cool. Shows you don’t know somebody til you
do."

**
19. 
Tahtahme's Diary
"
What a beautiful lady with a beautiful afro! πŸ˜»πŸ˜»πŸ˜»πŸ’œ"

**
Reply
20. 
Louai Hamadi
"
she is amazing !! .. do you know her name ?"

**
Reply
21. 
Tahtahme's Diary
"
@Louai Hamadi Shauna Harley....her info is in the bio with the other people involved πŸ€—πŸ’œ"

**
22. 
 Precious Brown
"
Let me tell y’all why this is πŸ”₯. I grew up in the 90’s all black or Afro Latina hair shop had music like this and pictures that looked like that photograph. I loved this so much I subscribed today, I’m just sad I just found out about this song 2 days late this artist I found in 2021 🀦🏾‍♀️"

**
Reply
23. 
Neel M.
"
He plays everyday on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. Been doing a great job for years"

**
24. Adam
"Such a bangin bop, even the cop did a lil drop"

**
25. Mr. Roybot
"I don't know if y'all ever saw the movie Idlewild starring OutKast but I'm getting those vibes from this song and I love it!"

**
26. Destiny Collins
"I see this song being in a lot of commercials and or advertisements

This is a bop

I wanna clean and dance to this"

**
27. Steel City Swing
"This song definitely put a smile on our faces today and we love seeing Lindy Hop and Vernacular Jazz being used more in the mainstream media <3"

**
28. Carol Miller
"That dance form needs to be restored but I'm guessing it's pretty hard."

**
Reply
29. Alanna Ranger
"@Carol Miller It never truly went away (though it wasn't in the public eye) and it's very much still on the go! :)"

**
Reply
30. Steel City Swing
"@Carol Miller It's actually not that difficult to learn! If you search your city and swing dance or lindy hop, you can find a near by scene and check out their beginner class (post pandemic of course). It may feel a little weird at first since it's new to you, but stick with it and soon you'll be able to do a lot of the moves in this video. Depending on the scene, you probably won't see any aerials though as those are mostly done for performances."

**
31. 
Michelle Fletcher
"
I have had COVID for a week. Being kept away from family and the world is wearing on the soul... and it has only been a week. Those going through this for months are incredible testaments to human strength. Your song, so aptly named for this time and place in the world, brought much needed energy.

 

Music nourishes the soul and heals the mind. Thank you, for this much-needed medicine. 😘"

**
32. 
Pamelia M
"
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! Man! I needed this!"

**
33. 
Just Want Results
"
I'm still hoping for a collaboration of Jon Batiste and Esperanza Spaulding,  jazz at it's finest"

**
34. r m
"
Jon Batiste, that was an awesome video

Love that throw way back vibe ❤️πŸ’ƒπŸ½πŸ•ΊπŸΎ❤️"

**
35. 
Alicia Richardson
"T
his fed my soul."

**
36. 
bourge66
"
Jon combined all my favorites, piano, art, swing dancing, golden vocal pipes and happy fine folks of color!"

**
37. 
Joshua Mack
"Th
is song goes so hard."

**
38. 
Sue Dimarino
"
I love love love this song!  I have fallen in love with Jon Batiste over this last year as I watch Stephen Colbert every day and one of the highlights of his show is when Jon comes on.  His spirit is so beautiful and his talent is amazing!  He is a shining light for all!!"

**
39. 
Andrea Mendez
"
I would love a collab of Jon Batiste and Janelle Monae.  Maybe they've done one. This had "tip on the tightrope" and Outkast vibes. ♥️πŸ’• And of course, good old fashioned swing."

**
40. 
Jessica Flamholz
"I'
ve been listening to Jon Batiste for years, and I'm thrilled he's been getting his due. He is energy, he is light, he is music. This is the song I needed today."

**
41. 
Kesivan Naidoo
"
Fresh yet old school... Jon Batiste what a Beautiful Soul!"

**
42. 
Amanda DEAR
"Th
at sax is amazing πŸ’–"

**
43. Erin Hafer
"Th
is definitely had that Hellzapoppin feel to it! Even the security guard reminded me of a young Frankie Manning πŸ₯°"

**
44. 
Ashleigh Orange
"
I was not expecting that.... Omg woooooowwww yes king πŸ˜­πŸ€£πŸ™‹‍♀️"

**
45. 
Maureen McClements
"
Real music, real talent, real singing, real song, real video production, real dancing MORE PLEASE, this world needs this kind of quality and perfection in music. LOVED IT !!!!!! more please please please."

**
46. 
Chris M
"
That 🎷 though. πŸ™ŒπŸ½"

**
47. 
JAP LLC
"I
 wish I could have just watched the dancers they were next level."

**
48. 
Merry Roman
"
if you haven't yet already, look up his NPR tiny desk jam on YouTube; and man the backing band!!"

**
49. 
moony kash
"
Seeing a lot of current dance trends (all good and nice)

But seeing moves like these, maaan black american has really got swag esp on dance styles like these. Just groovin and energy bursting everywhere 😍"

**
50. 
Samantha Rohr
"
Cant wait for it to be safe to have social dances again!"

**
51. 
VulnerableMajesty
"
The Jitterbug: an African American dance is on full display in this music video. My grandmother told me how she attended parties as a young girl and jitterbugged. Research Harlem Renaissance and breathtaking performers like The Nicholas Brothers (as one classic example) and you will see the greatness of African American dance❤️ This music video is a lovely tribute and I enjoyed watching"

**
52. 
nuber10
"
If people did not know, this was the song theme for “WallStreetBets”. Many members have been able to reduce or eliminate their debts because of the movements.

Groove on Jon!!!"

**
53. 
L Mena
"
Jon Batiste is on for seconds during Stephen Colbert. Too little for a man so extremely talented in all the arts and full of human grace and dignity that few others have. This video is so cute and creative."

**
54. 
Da Kid N U - Kids Songs & Nursery Pop
"
Jon straight saucin' πŸ’₯πŸ”₯"

**
55. 
Sandra BermΓΊdez
"
i didn't know i needed you until youtube suggested it!! hi from spain"

**
56. 
 NativeGlamour
"
My inner old lady is groovin. Love this! Reminds me of growing up with my grandparents and listening to their records. We needed this revival of good music."

**
57. 
Jennifer Lawson
"
Loved the tribute to the origin of Lindy Hop"

**
58. 
julionightingale
"
What a dope musician! Very cool."

**
59. 
Lamone Felder
"
Go 'head !!! That's what  I'm talkin" bout!!!"

**
60. 
don francoeur
"
That's about as good as it gets, cool man!"

**
61. 
Nick Swings Out
"
YEAH! Love seeing those dancers throw down! Can't top the Lindy Hop!"

**
62. 
Anna Brenner
"
Like the best art, this builds on the past and points the way to the future!"

**
63. 
Tanya Pineda
"
πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ’žπŸ’žπŸ’žπŸ’žπŸ’ž

And the guard at the end, what a joyful experience watching & listening to that was.  I've been watching old movie footage of astounding dance performances & this is the total vibe. Thank you. (Love those turned up jean cuffs tooπŸ‘–πŸ˜, you can keep your "skinny jeans"

**
64. 
E Mail
"
The first 3 rules to a successful music video... 1. Location, 2. Location, 3. Location. In this case, Rennert's Gallery at 26 West 17th Street in Manhattan. I think this should be listed in the credits as well. Excellent choice to whom ever made it. This video could have easily been filmed in a studio, but making it in an actual vintage poster gallery really gave it that authentic vibe. Now you can go visit them and tell them how you found them from this video."

**
65. 
demetria duma
"
Ahhh jazz gotta love it☺️"

**
66. 
Captain Blacksand
"
Can the lindy hop be trendy now so I can learn it? I mean, once we're allowed to breathe in each other's faces again."

**
67. 
Trey Hatch
"
You, sir, are bringing the SOUL!"

**
68. 
Angela Greenkiwi
"
I came all the way from Aotearoa New Zealand to see thisπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½

I am now following you on Spotify!"

**
69. 
κ·Έλƒ₯κ·Έλƒ₯
"
I'm a fan who lives in Korea.

I listened to Jon batiste's music after watching the soul movie.

I'm listening to Jon batiste while I'm using this. I've been listening to music all day long.

I fell in love with the sound of the piano once, and I fell in love with the voice once again. Please play a lot of good music.

I'll be rooting for you."

**
70. 
Holly Smith
"
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Can't watch it enough.  You and Stephen are awesome!  Thank you for getting us through the craziness - From Panama"

**
71. 
lolzjaykay
"T
HIS SONG JUST MAKES ME FEEL GOOD!"

**
72. 
bklynkat23
"
I really am looking forward to rocking out to the entire album"

**
73. 
sognodiangeli
"
Now this right here is soul!

Yes from the first note until the en straight πŸ”₯"

**
74. 
Lilikoi 808
"
Great vibe- what a fantastic musician and I love the Cajun vibe I get when I hear him play- πŸ’•"

**
75. 
Laura Tabares
"I
 was craving brand-new music with this style!!! LOVE ITTTT.

Greetings from Colombia :D"

**
76. 
Sagine Guillard
"
Jon Batiste - You’re killing it. Just what I needed to start my weekend right. Got that creole pumping in my blood. Thanks"

**
77. 
Bat Infaq
"
Whew, I love a song that makes you want to dance. Thanks, Jon :)"

**
78. 
T Shoultz
"
Jon Batiste goes to an art show and hears the music in the paintings.  I love the way this man sees the world!!"

**
79. 
Olga M.
"
I love Her afro <3 <3 <3"

**
80. 
BrovaLoww
"T
his is sooooo dope."

**
81. 
Abdulmajid Albloushi
"
You got the BLUES man.

Greetings from Dubai πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ͺ"

**
82. 
I'm Vincent Morales
"
Old school, new school Blues Soul‼️πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―"

**
83. 
drysilk
"
Fantastic!! πŸ˜‚ πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ Sending love from Brixton London UK SW9  πŸ‡―πŸ‡² πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ πŸ™πŸ½ ❤️ "

**
84. 
Loran Doane
"
I seriously love me some Batiste jazzzzzzzzzzz.  Play it Sugar, PLAY IT!!!!!"

**
85. 
Marco O_M
"
Exquisite! The whole production......  Bravo bravo bravo πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ"

**
86. 
Toussaint Julie
"
AMAZING,  HERE WE LOVE THIS SOUND LOVE LOVE FROM SWITZERLAND"

**
87. 
Mario Avila
"
Lindy Hop was popular at The Savoy club in Harlem 30's 40's....Then had a resurgent in 97, 98 99.....When I was teaching Lindy..... My classes were always full & we had a different big band come through every weekend ......The dance was named after Charles Lindbergh solo  flight across the Atlantic . ...YES Black people created this wonderful cultural expression of dance, now predominately dance by other ethnic groups....Would love 2 see it have another revival."

**
88. 
Daniela Cadena
"
AHHH yess so much swag and delicious beats. So beautiful Jon! I am soo proud of you. All the best wishes and hope your creative journey keeps being an avenue for you to bring positivity to the world and love!"

**
89. 
Josiane
"I
 am loving this era of young black boys embracing blues and jazz"

**
90. 
Shervyse Smiles
"
So we not gonna talk about how his shirt didn't reach his belt, but I loved it πŸ™ŒπŸ½❤πŸ‘πŸ½ My New Jam and I will hurt myself attempting those moves...these are facts πŸ‘€πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ€“"

**
91. 
-Clouds above us crying-
"
I get the feeling that this is going to be the new "Happy" of 2021, I'm telling you!"

****
This concludes Part II of this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment