Translate

Saturday, January 16, 2021

The Mississippi Mass Choir - "Higher Ground" (also known as "I'm Pressing On The Upward Way"), information, video, & comments


The Mississippi Mass Choir" I'm Pressing On!" (Plant My Feet On Higher Ground)"

TheBLSsingers,  May 8, 2012

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a video of The Mississippi Mass Choir with James Moore, soloist singing ""I'm Pressing On" (Plant My Feet On Higher Ground).

Information about this hymn is included in this post along with lyrics to the gospelized version that is featured in this post as it was sung by the Mississippi Mass Choir. A link to the original lyrics for this hymn is also included in this post along with a link to another YouTube video of this song (as sung by  

A few comments from this video's discussion thread is also included in this post.  

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composers of the hymn "Higher Ground". Thanks also to the Mississippi Mass Choir and James Moore, soloist for their rendition of a gospelized version of this hymn. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of this video on YouTube.
-snip-
Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqpo6iZNb2s&ab_channel=BrothaRollins Pastor E.Dewey Smith Jr Singing Old School HYMN [I’m Pressing On The Upward Way]” (2010) for another African American rendition of this hymn. 

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THIS HYMN
From https://hymnstudiesblog.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/quothigher-groundquot/#:~:text=According%20to%20Gabriel's%20own%20account,Entwisle%20compiled%20with%20John%20R.

…."The text [for "Higher Ground"] was written by Johnson Oatman, Jr. (1856-1922). The most famous song by this prolific writer of hymn texts, who was born in New Jersey, is probably "Count Your Blessings." The tune was composed by Charles Hutchinson Gabriel (1856-1932)


[…]

     According to Gabriel’s own account, "Higher Ground" was finished in 1892, but he sold it for five dollars to a Philadelphia, PA, songbook compiler, J. Howard Entwisle. It was then first published in the 1898 Songs of Love and Praise, No. 5, which Entwisle compiled with John R. Sweney and Frank M. Davis. Many of Gabriel’s songs came into common use among churches of Christ when he helped T. B. Larimore edit The New Christian Hymn Book in 1907 for the Gospel Advocate Co.”…


****
LYRICS FOR THIS GOSPELIZED VERSION OF THIS HYMN


I'M PRESSING ON

(written by Jonathan Oatman, Jr.)

(arranged by Rev. James Moore)

(recorded by Mississippi Mass Choir)

Intro:

Lord, lift me up and let me stand,

by faith on heaven's table land;

no higher plane than I have found,

Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

 

Lord, lift me up and let me stand,

by faith on heaven's table land;

no higher plane than I have found,

Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

 

Verse:

I'm pressing on the upward way,

new heights I'm gaining everyday.

Still praying as I onward bound,

 

Tenors: Lord, plant my feet on

All: higher ground.

 

Chorus 1:

Lord, lift me up and let me stand,

by faith on heaven's

 

Tenors: faith on heaven's table land;

 

no higher plane than I have found,

Lord, plant my feet on higher ground,

on higher ground, on higher ground, on higher ground.

 

Vamp 1:

On higher ground,

on higher ground.

 

Chorus 2:

Lord, lift me up and let me stand,

by faith on heaven's

 

Tenors: faith on heaven's table land;

 

no higher plane than I have found...

 

Vamp 2:

Lord, plant my feet.

 

Vamp 3:

Sopranos: On higher ground,

Altos: on higher ground,

Tenors: on higher ground,

 

Sopranos: on higher ground,

Altos: on higher ground,

Tenors: on higher ground.

 

Vamp 4:

On higher ground, ound, ound,

on higher ground.
-snip-
Click https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/396 for the original lyrics for this hymn.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS EMBEDDED VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg3VFxooo10&ab_channel=TheBLSsingers

Numbers have been added for referencing purposes only,

1. Dria B, 2015
"this is still my song! absolute fire!!! RIP James Moore. Mississippi Mass choir and musicians were excellent..."

**
2. Rev. D., 2015
"Sing it Rev!.  Oh, how I miss this man.  He is a legend in the gospel music industry.  He loved Jesus!  Go ahead Mr. Director!"

**
3. Jake Dather, 2015
"This was the choir that was in "Forrest Gump," and this was the song they performed."

**
4. CATHERINE NEAL-JONES, 2016
"After the intro they didn't have to sing the rest of the song!"

**
Reply
5. Brian Keith, 2019
"CATHERINE NEAL-JONES I know that’s right SisπŸ™ŒπŸ½"

**
Reply
6. Royce Mosley, 2020
"@Brian Keith but it sure was good too!"

**
7. Tasha Leavell, 2017
"No matter how old I get...this song is one of many that moves me. Remember my mom cooking Sunday supper, dad was working on some things around the house, siblings and I was goofing around but when the record came on...we all stop what we were doing and come together as a family through praise and worship before church service. #misstheoldschool #blessedtimes #family"

**
8. El Miggiddio, 2018
"This a SHO NUFF GOSPEL SANGA!!! He was one of the greatest! Rest In Heaven Reverend!"
-snip-
"Sanga" is probably a folk way of writing the word "sanging". "Sanging" is a form of the African American Vernacular English word "sang" meaning to sing very well, especially to sing soulfully very well."  Notice in the comments in this compilation that include this meaning of the word "sang" that that word is used in the present tense.

That said, "Sang it! and it's most widely used exhortation "You betta sang it!" mean the same thing as the older form "Sing it!".

**
9. manndera, 2018
"He could sure sang it" ** 10. muchacha25, 2020
"This song right here. . . SO MANY Mic Drop moments.  LOL  Sangin' like WHO Done It and WHY?!!!!"

**
11. lucille pauling, 2020
"SANG REV MOORE. GO HEAD WITH YOUR πŸ‘Ž SELF MY GOD FROM ZION THANKS FOR STOPPING BY πŸ‘€ U IN THE πŸŒ„ πŸ’˜ SERVANT.PAULING AGAPE TELL THEM REV WHEN I THINK OF THE GOODNESS OF OF JESUS ALL HE DONE MY SOUL SAYS GLORY HALLIAUAH ❤"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment