Translate

Monday, October 12, 2020

Examples Of The Taunting Rhyme "See My Pinky. See My Thumb" (video, lyrics, and comments)



Randy Brown, November 13, 2008

6 year old girl says:

See my pinky, see my thumb,

See my fist, you better run!

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest updates- May 12, 2021

This pancocojams post showcase a video of the children's taunting rhyme "See My Pinky. See My Thumb".

This post also presents a few examples of the "See My Pinky. See My Thumb" rhyme as well as some examples of children's rhymes that include the "See My Pinky. See My Thumb" verses. When "See My Pinky" verses are added to other rhymes, I've written them in italics to highlight those verses.

Notes about some of the rhymes in this post are also included in this post. 

The content of this post is presented for recreational and cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the girl who is featured in this video and thanks to the publisher of that video on YouTube. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post. 
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/10/see-my-pinky-see-my-thumb-see-my-fist.html for a YouTube video of a longer version and a YouTube video compilation of Tik Tok versions of "See My Pinky. See My Thumb." 
 
For the folkloric record, please share the example of this rhyme that you know, including the year or decade you chanted it and where you chanted it (city and state). Also, please share whether you performed any actions when you chanted this rhyme. Thanks!

****
SOME EXAMPLES OF "SEE MY PINKY. SEE MY THUMB"
Excerpt for the examples from my childhood recollection these examples are given in chronological order based on the date they were posted online or based on the date that I retrieved them from their online source.)


1. SEE MY PINKIE

See my pinkie.
See my thumb.
See my fist.
You better run.

-Azizi Powell (memories of her childhood (Atlantic City, New Jersey, 1950s or early 1960s)

****
2. 
 SEE MY PINKIE

See my pinkie.
See my thumb.
See my fist
Gee, you're dumb.
-Azizi Powell (memories of her childhood (Atlantic City, New Jersey, 1950s or early 1960s)
-snip-
This is another ending to that taunting rhyme that I remember. The person chanting said "Gee, you're dumb" because you stayed there and listened to the entire rhyme when it was clearly threatening physical violence).

I don't remember doing any motions or doing hand claps or jumping rope while chanting this rhyme.

**
The "pinkie" is the smallest finger on [people's] hands. 

****
3.
SEE MY HEART

See my heart
Gee, you're smart
See my thumb
Gee, your dumb
-Onwuchekwa Jemie, editor of Yo' Mama!: New Raps, Toasts, Dozens, Jokes, and Children's Rhymes from Urban Black America, page 33 (published on June 1, 2003)
-snip-
According to 
https://www.amazon.com/Yo-Mama-Toasts-Childrens-America/dp/1592130283 these examples were "Collected primarily in metropolitan New York and Philadelphia during the classic era of black street poetry (i.e., during the late 1960s and early 1970s)...

 ****
4.  SEE MY THUMB
See my pinky
See my thumb
See my fist
You better run .
-Onwuchekwa Jemie, editor of Yo' Mama!: New Raps, Toasts, Dozens, Jokes, and Children's Rhymes from Urban Black America, page 33 (published on June 1, 2003)

****
5. 
SEE MY PINKY 

See my pinky
See my thumb
See my peace sign Minus one.
-Donk, cocojams.com, 1/23/2007
-snip-
"cocojams.com" was the name of my cultural website. Tht website was online from 2000 until Nov. 2014. Most of the content of the children's rhymes, cheers, and game song pages on that website were from children and teens who used an easy to use form that was found on that website. For various reasons, I voluntarily deactivated that website in 2014. Some of the rhymes, cheers, and game song content of that website can be found on pancocojams and on its sister blog "cocojams2".

****
6.  SEE MY PINKY
See my pinky, see my thumb,
See my fist, you better run!
-
Randy Brown, November 13, 2008 (quoting a 6 year old girl), see the showcase video given above.

****
7. 
BRICK WALL WATERFALL

I learned it like this.

Brick wall, waterfall, girl you think you know it all. You don't, I do. So POOF with the attitude. Wait! Come back. I think you need a tic-tac, not one, not two, but the whole six pack. Sorry to be mean but you need some listerine not a sip, not a swallow, but the whole dang(damn) bottle. See my pinky, see my thumb, see my fist you better run, elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, oh my gosh you just got dissed!
-Snickerz, http://www.wittyprofiles.com/q/974285, 2010
-snip-
A portion of this rhyme was featured in two different scenes of the 2003 American comedy movie Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star. (The words ending with the word "bottle", except that the word "damn" wasn't said in that movie.).

Click https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickie_Roberts:_Former_Child_Star for information about that movie.

Also, click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/01/brickwall-waterfall-examples-analysis.html for the pancocojams post entitled "Brick wall Waterfall" (Examples & Analysis)"

****

8. THAT'S THE WAY 
That’s the way
uh huh, uh huh,
We like it
uh huh, uh huh,
Peace, Punch,
Captain Crunch
Brick Wall, Waterfall
Girl, you think you know it all
You don’t
I do
So POOF with the attitude
POOF with the attitude
Talk to the hand cause the girl not speaking
Talk to the hand cause the girl not thinking
Elbow Elbow
Wrist Wrist
Fly like a birdy
Kiss Kiss
See my pinkie
See my thumb
See my fist you better run
- SCHOOLYARDPLAY SEPTEMBER 19, 2014 CLAPPING GAMES, https://schoolyardplay.net/poof-attitude/


****  

9. BRICK WALL WATERFALL

Brick wall waterfall,

Girl, you think you know it all,

But you don’t, I do,

So boom with the attitude,

Boom with the attitude,

See my pinkie, see my thumb,

See my fist, you better run,

But wait, come back,

You need a tic-tac,

Not-a one, not-a two,

But a whole Six-Pack!

submitted by, Addy
-
- SCHOOLYARDPLAY SEPTEMBER 19, 2014 CLAPPING GAMES, https://schoolyardplay.net/poof-attitude/

Note: When my cocojams.com website was active (until 2014), the "Brick wall Waterfall" rhyme either separately or in combination with "Brick Wall Waterfall", "Bang Bang Choo Choo Train" and/or "That's The Way" verses) was by far the hand clap rhyme that was most often submitted to that site by children. preteens, and teens. However, only a few of those  examples included the "See My Pinkie, See My thumb" verse.  

****
10. SEE MY PINKIE. SEE MY THUMB

See my pinkie, see my thumb,
See my fist, you better run.
But wait, come back,
You need a tic-tac,
Not-a one, not-a two,
But a whole Six-Pack!
Sorry to be mean
But you need some Listerine.
Not a sip. Not a swallow
But the whole dang bottle.
-
Noelia Stokes, See my pinky see my thumb see my fist you better run full song, -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYX8o99ygU8&feature=emb_logo, January 14, 2018

-snip-
This is just one version of "full" ("long") examples of "See My Pinky See My Thumb". The "full song" refers to the portion of that taunting rhyme that is featured in the "See My Pinky" clips on Tik Tok clips.  

****
11. SHAME SHAME SHAME HIT IT

Shame shame shame hit it,

that's the way un huh un huh,

I like it un huh un huh,

that's the way un huh un huh

I like it un huh un huh.

Big fat water fall girl

you think you know it all,you don't I do

so push away that attitude

push away that attitude

push away that attitude

see my pinky,

see my thumb,

see my fist

you betta run

see my fist.

See my thighs.

Girl you think you satisfied.
-
Ravenashlee Cross, Published on Apr 25, 2015, Shame Shame Shame hit it handshake [This YouTube video is no longer available.] 

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Here's another example of a children's rhyme that includes verses from the rhyme "see my pinky/see my thumb". This example was posted as a comment in the pancocojams post on the rhyme "I Am A Pretty First Grader".

    "This is a ecxample sea sea at the bottom of the sea Im a little firts grader as pretty as can be be and all the boys aronud my block are fighting over me me my boy friends name is jello he from alabama with 25 toes and a pretty fat noes and this how my story goes one day I was walking I saw my boy friend talking to the pretiest girl in the whole wide world and this what I sayed to her see my pickie see my thumb see my fist you better run wait come back you need a tik tak not one not two but the the whole six pack sorry to mean but you some vasuline 123 get your black hands off me"
    -Unknown, October 16, 2020.

    Unfortunately, this commenter didn't share any demographic information such as age, race, gender, location, or when she or he first learned this rhyme.

    I've also added this example to the pancocojams post about children's rhymes that include the line "get your black hands off of me".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the link to the "I Am A Pretty First Grader" pancocojams post that I referenced in my comment given above: http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/12/i-am-pretty-little-first-grader-variant.html

      Delete