Translate

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Deacon Otis Wicknine & The Starlight Echoes - "Don't Let The Corona Get On Ya" (Part II- Video & Comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series that showcases the funny/serious song "Don't Let The Corona Get On Ya" by Deacon Otis Wicknine & The Starlight Echoes. This song is sung in the old school African American Gospel Quartet style.

Part II presents the YouTube video of "Don't Let The Corona Get On Ya" and features some comments from that video's discussion thread.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/04/deacon-otis-wicknine-starlight-echoes.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. Part I presents the YouTube video of "Don't Let The Corona Get On Ya" and lyrics for that song.

The content of this post is presented for health education, cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Deacon Otis Wicknine, The Starlight Echoes, and SKD Tv, and all others who were involved in composing this song, making this video, and publishing it on YouTube.
-snip-
A number of the comments featured below include terms that originated from African American Vernacular English, and are particularly associated with some African American churches. Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/09/what-took-me-to-church-sang-went-in-and_1.html for Part II of a pancocojams series on that topic. That post includes the vernacular definition for "went in" (gone in) and some other African American Vernacular English terms that are associated with churches.

Also, click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/04/deacon-otis-wicknine-stay-home-video.html for another pancocojams post showcasing Deacon Otis Wicknine.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: DEACON OTIS WICKNINE sings "Don't Let The Corona Get On Ya"



SKD Tv, Mar 20, 2020

SKD Entertainment comedian and Recording Artist, Deacon Otis Wicknine....gives a special warning....
-snip-
This message is given on this video's page prior to the video itself:
COVID-19
Get the latest information from the CDC about COVID-19.

Learn More: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

See more resources on Google. [This is given as a hyperlink.]

****
SELECTED COMMENTS
(These comments are given in relative chronological order, except for replies. All of these comments are from March 20, 2020 to April 9, 2020. Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.)

1. doublenickelzeta
"My people!
Gotta love us! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
2. Non Ya
"Oh no. I knew something like this was coming πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚"

**
3. Margaret Paige-Bacon
"Great voice! Catchy beat!! On Time advice! Hilarious !Thanks for sharing!!πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸŽ―πŸ˜‹πŸ˜œπŸ’•πŸ€£"

**
4. Kem ba
"Church! Toe tappin and finger snappin

**
5. Rosemary Graham
"Now that's what I call creative. You betta sing."

**
6. Sandra Kelley
"Now this has made my day!"

**
7. robert griffin
"There is a message there while being tooooo funny. Stay safe my peoples, stay safe."

**
REPLY
8. Kimberly Crenshaw
"Yazzz so true"

**
9. Clarence Watson
"LMAO!!! Please Give Us More!!!"

**
10. Tasha Coach
"LOL I'M WAITING 4 THE REMIX"

**
11. A J
"Very well put together...entertaining...good job SKD...GMC productions"

**
12. Cody Mist
"what real gospel song is this from?"

**
13. Crystal Futrell
"Is this a Sensational Knightdales remix Lol"

**
14. Thomas Lanham
"Oh chulrun !"

**
15. A Nelson
"A good laugh is what we need now so spread the message any way you can."

**
16. Valerie Williams
"Take something negative and turned into something positive.amen."

**
17. celest simmons
"Brought my tambourine out...."

**
18. Felicia Lett
"OUR PEOPLE ARE SO CREATIVE AND TRENDSETTERS ❤️"

**
REPLY
19. Mozelle Philpart
"You are so right about our people! We have to acknowledge that because the world won't!😊"

**
20. 305Navi
"Shout out @ the 2:05 mark - "Keep it away from me!!!" πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ€£





Dat boi good!!! πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…
- Coming to America"

**
REPLY
21. Alexis Williams
"305Navi you know them Starlight Echoes are back there in the shiny baby blue suits..."

**
REPLY
22. 305Navi
"@Alexis WilliamsπŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ‘ Ikr!"

**
23. Paul Diggs
"Eddie. Murphy would be proud 😹"

**
24. Melody Murdock
"I died!!!"

**
25. Gerald Felton
"I needed the laugh and I like the message."

**
26. Elaine Stocker
"We don't have to be sad
Get ur laugh onπŸ˜‚"

**
27. MVP Shells
"Made me laugh love the part when he says Starlight echoes help me say (speaking in tongues)"

**
28. Faith S
"My mom is a pastor and sent this to me πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I am so done!!!’"

**
REPLY
29. Joe Block
"ha ha ha. How cool is THAT?! Love yo Moms. :D"

**
REPLY
30. Reggie- Moore
"Faith S my father in law is an elder and sent this to me lol"

**
REPLY
31. L Curry
"My Gram is a deaconess and she sent this to me. Somebody take the ph away from these ole folks🀣"

**
REPLY
32. James Bursey
"My pops a preacher and sent the same thing lmaoaoao"

**
33. Antonio Gourdine
"It has an old school gospel feel"

**
REPLY
34. Jennifer Lewis
"The music is from a real gospel song...🀣🀣🀣 Can't think of which song but it's old"

**
REPLY
35. ToadyMcgee
"That quartet feel"

**
REPLY
36. E Knight
"Yes, I'm a North Carolina country boy raised in the black church and this is exactly what I grew up on."

**
REPLY
37. kay Jack
"Right ! Full male gospel chorus at church πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
38. Robert P. Mahoney Sr.
"Only Gospel to have... Contemporary is just too clubby for me... Makes you want to party, not Praise God. Obedience is The Highest Praise.. Contemporary makes you feel good, it doesn't convict you to do good or better. Just feel better. Thus the many that consume alcohol, eat flesh food, dress half naked, curse, watch Tyler Perry, etc, etc... Be ye separate, folk's..."

**
REPLY
39. Robert P. Mahoney Sr.
"@Jennifer Lewis, may be, I'll check it out. I know just about every Quartet Song there ever was.."

**
REPLY
40. Narvelan Coleman
"This reminds me of...."I've Got A Feeling Everything's Gonna Be Alright." "

**
REPLY
41. Narvelan Coleman
" "I've Gotta Feeling Everything's Gonna Be Alright." "

**
42. Aaron Edwards Hall
"I miss this kind of sangin SAAAAANG DOC!"

**
43. Robert P. Mahoney Sr.
"@Aaron Edwards Hall, indeed, we The Southern Maryland Harmonizers try to keep it going..
We're working on The 4th Generation.."

**
44. Priscilla Gardner
"Sing, Deacon. You betta sing. Hallelujah! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
45. sspsdell
"HOW COME I'M GOIN IN ON THIS JOINT!!!!!"

**
46. Mr_Motivation
"Ooooh glory AHHHHBOUGHTAHONDA( speaking in tongues) πŸƒπŸΎπŸƒπŸΎπŸƒπŸΎπŸƒπŸΎπŸƒπŸΎπŸƒπŸΎπŸƒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸ½.....🀣🀦🏽‍♂‍"

**
47. Narvelan Coleman
" "Ohhh.......Churrin!" "

**
48. Sandra Kelley
"Now this has made my day!"

**
49. Angela Palmer
"Sing it! In times like these we need the laughter. πŸ˜πŸ˜‚"

**
50. Lillian Pearson
"This was so good! He can sang!"

**
51. Master Mason
"My people bless with talent, hilarious love it. Stay safe my Brothers and sisters, remember don't the Rona get on ya lol"

**
52. Running Bear
"This is hilarious but true... LOL"

**
53. Victoria Dubriel
"He lifted my spirit during this time of despair."

**
54. robinburkebritt
"This man can sing! And such soul! And a message of importance to boot!"

**
REPLY
55. Eric B.
"So true. Needed that laugh during this time"

**
56. Kicking it with Kim Brooks
"Share share share!! Let’s get this baby to a million views! We need the laughs 🀣🀣🀣"
-snip-
This comment was written in the last week of March 2020.

**
57. Donovan
"Let the Chi-Zurch. say Amen!"

**
REPLY
58. Elizabeth Anders
"AMEN!!!!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£"

**
59. BassMANN12
"I was okay...then I died when the Starlit Echos sang "keep it away from me" lmbo....too funny"

**
60. 19Bone Head55
"Go ‘head brother! He moves like Eddie Murphy. πŸ˜·πŸ’€"

**
61. Elizabeth Anders
"I am soooooo DONE!!!!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£❤❤❤❤❤"

**
62. Rebecca Collazo
"This made my day πŸ˜‚ he was to good specially spraying his hair"

**
REPLY
63. Leita Hughes
"He was spraying Lysol in the surrounding air, not his hair.😊"

**
REPLY
64. Melody Murdock
"@Leita Hughes he rubbed some on his hands and put it in his hair."

**
65. Nai Moore
"Oh Chirren don't let the the Corona get on ya!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
66. T Coop
"Chirren took me out"

**
REPLY
67. Alexis Williams
"ALL the way out!

And he had that deacon bounce that brought me back and took me out again. #ShankYaGina"

**
REPLY
68. gin40
"Me too. I look it a few times a day to keep my spirits up!! God bless Deacon Otis!! This is hilarious!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
69. gin40
"Deacon Otis and Starlight Echo's vocals are on point! They're killin it!! Sing it!!"

**
70. Free R
"Watch this be a song all churches adopt. During the offering πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
71. Alretta Tolbert
"Love it, brilliant and on time, I needed this laugh!"

**
72. dapriceisright20012
"Oh chilrenn! Those country churches with the hard wood floors would rock to this lol"

**
73. Kendra Brown
"Okay....did he spray the lysol in his hair!!! I'm done..."

**
74. MBlack Productions
"Cher'run Don't Let It Get Own Ya / Yes Lord"

**
75. Trela Anderson
"I gotta listen to this everyday!"

**
76. suslater91
"1 million!!!!!!!! It’s a πŸ‘‹ πŸ‘‹ πŸ‘‹ hit!!! Shank ya Gina!"
-snip-
This comment was written in the first week of April 2020.

**
77. Randy Harness
"I have played at least 10 different songs in church with this same tune. Hahaaaa!"

**
REPLY
78. Robert P. Mahoney Sr.
"Nah, I don't think it's a real song. Typical Gospel Quartet Crunk..."

**
79. B N
"He sounds like the Jackson Southernaires! πŸ‘πŸΎ"

**
80. Charles Kimbrough
"Give that man a record deal $$$ πŸ€£πŸ˜‚lol"

**
81. Daphanie Goodson
"Be safe y’all! Praying for us all!"

**
82. B Johnson
"LOVE the breakdown! Oh chiron (children)🀣🀣🀣 My mama woulda bought that record back in the day."

**
83. dggd
"Tyler Perry, QUICK! HIRE HIM!!! Madea's first cousin...Mr. Brown's Brother or SOMETHING! HE WORKED IT...KEEPIN' IT REAL! Great vocals! Ahhh Shank ya Gina!! LOL"

**
REPLY
84. gin40
"I was thinking the same thing!! Yes, this man is hilarious!! Give Deacon Otis a job!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
85. MrBlactye
"Black people will make a song out of anything. I like this joint. Absolutely Hilarious"

**
86. patresha king
"Ok! I said only somebody black. God bless our people. I’m loving this."

**
87. Juanita Dudley
"We are resourceful. Black people can testify or preach about anything. I heard a preacher TESTIFY ABOUT TOAST!!! He said he was hungry and wanted an omelet, but God said just make toast. He had 3 eggs, just enough for an omelet. He cooked his omelet and when he went to transfer it onto the plate, it fell on the floor. He cooked toast and it was just filling enough for him. When God says make toast, don't make an omelet."

**
88. E Knight
"He's even dancing like an old Deacon 😁"

**
REPLY
89. Karen McGee
"So true!"

**
REPLY
90. Kendra Tucker
"I know right!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
91. Zahrah
"@Juanita Dudley I know right! That was hilarious!!!πŸ˜‚"

**
92. Andievo4U2
"That's what I'm talking about"

**
93. TheGlobalMistress Monet
"My HBCU President sent this to my college lol>>>>>"

**
94. Renee White
"OMGOODNESS! And I got the nerve to be tapping my foot! Where he find Lysol????"

**
95. Sasha Suber
"“Coronta” .. This probably would be sung in church as a guest singer, you know it’s true! πŸ˜‚πŸ€£"

**
REPLY
96. Narvelan Coleman
"LOL!!! Don'ta....let the.....coronta....get on ya...LOL!"

**
REPLY
97. Free R
"While the congregation is looking at each other on the pews "like I know she/he is not up there singing that song" .πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
98. Sasha Suber
"Free R Yes lol πŸ˜† It’s so catchy though."

**
REPLY
99. Free R
"@Sasha Suber
Yes, it is a catchy song. I find myself singing it while I'm washing the dishes or when spraying my Lysol. 🀣🀣🀣"

**
REPLY
100. Sasha Suber
"Free R Exactly! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
101. Free R
"@Sasha Suber
Be safe out here and don't let "The Coronta get on ya"πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘"

**
REPLY
102. Sasha Suber
"Free R Thank you! Be safe also! May your toilet paper never run out lol πŸ˜†"

**
REPLY
103. Free R
"@Sasha Suber
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ§»πŸ§»πŸ§»-ok"

**
REPLY
104 Narvelan Coleman
"@Sasha Suber....I know....right! This song is such a bright relief among this dark time we are going through. Thank God for the laugh...and the message!"

**
105. FreeYourself FromU
"You bettah sang that Deacon! πŸ‘πŸ½ What a laugh!!πŸ˜…
New verse :
Don't come close to me at all.
I'll spray you with Lysol!! πŸ˜‰"

**
106. Andrea Townes
"Deacon Wicknine, I love this video. My sister, sent it to me. I sent it to about 20 people. They loved it and they shared with with several other people. I saw a sip pid of this Video getting a Shout Out on the TV Show, The View today. I'm going to keep singing your Gospel Virus Song. Just including the words God, Lord, or Jesus. Thank You So Very Much. ACT"

**
107. Tim Rover
"Shank ya Gina = Thank you Jesus ......I am so done! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£"

****
108. Linda Hodges Holloway
"Luv both the seriousness & wittiness! I’m tryingto create a LineDance to itπŸ’ƒπŸΏπŸ•ΊπŸΎ
#laughterismedicinal"

**
109. EssentialDarkness
"I was waiting on the ushers to come in with thr collection platesπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. This made my day i laughed so hard"

**
110. suslater91
"When u cough and when you sneeze, cover 😷 you mouth and catch in yo sleeve! That’s the hook for the remix!"

**
111. Redd Nubian
"Chirren !! Im weak 🀣🀣"


**
REPLY
112. alkhami1
"I didn't know how to spell chirren until now. Now my spell check knows how to spell chirren, too."

**
REPLY
113. Narvelan Coleman
"LOL...churrin, chirren, churren, chillum...LOL!"

**
114. Jametoria Burton
"He said he had Pine-Sol and Lysol under lock and key. OMG Too Funny !"

**
115. Angel Dove
"Sneezing on top me....coughing in the air 🀣🀣"

**
116. The Mother Shyp
"Lol. I thought to myself, the only thing he needs is a tambourine!"

**
REPLY
117. DJones205
"Monica G I was about to look for mine too when the Starlights started singing 🎀 LOL! πŸ˜†πŸ˜†"

**
118. Snowhite Tan
"Great singer, great backup singers, great catchy song, I love it. You deserve a grammy."

**
REPLY
119. Redd Nubian
"I was weak when he said #Coronta πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£"

**
120. BrooklynLass
"Getting the serious message out there while making us laughπŸ˜…

Props to the background singers! They're great 😁"

**
121. Maria Muldaur
"I absolutely LOVE this!~ A great big laugh & a Dose of the Holy Ghost rolled into 1 great public health message!!~Just what the doctor ordered!!~ We got to keep each other smiling & laughing!!~It's good for the immune system & good for the Soul!!~ God Bless You!~ Thanks for this!~"

**
122. BeABeliever InLove
"Us Black folks can make a song out of any toil! We sang while we were a captured people in slavery! We are MAGNIFICENT SURVIVORS. Any y'all heard of The Work Song? Yeah we gon sing a way for heaven to come down on Earth!"

**
123. Juanita Dudley
"This dude is LEGIT!!! He's black church born and bred. And don't fake, this would actually pass in a down home black church. He might even get some people to shout!!!"

**
REPLY
124. gin40
"Yep!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
125. gin40
"@Juanita Dudley You got that right!!"

**
REPLY
126. Juanita Dudley
"@gin40 You can't fake that black church authenticity!!!"

**
127. Barbara Cook
"SING IT!!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜"

**
128. Brenda Johnson
"This is TOO FUNNY!"

**
129. A Woodard
"Yassssssss!"

**
130. Dafydd De Varney
"JUST JUST BRILLIANT!! OH MY LORD!"

**
131. tanesia johnson
"I can't wait to get back to 1st Sunday choir reunion, somebody gone sangggg this and slayy everything in the church in the spiritπŸ˜‚"

**
132. Sylvia Green
"There's nothing wrong with having a sense of humor doing these perilous times"

**
133. Tenkara 1
"Reminds me of 'Sexual Chocolate'"

**
REPLY
134. Nelly Davis
"He should have drop the mike after that."

**
REPLY
135. ThanatosDarkraven
"Damn that boy can sang!"

**
REPLY
136. 4EVER TRUE!
"@ThanatosDarkraven πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
137. Debra Chaffin
"Tenkara, Yes "Sexual Chocolate"!!! I was thinking the same thing. The same thing from Coming To America."

**
138. Mondooba
"Anybody else get this from they grandparents"

**
139. Terry White
"LOL My stomach hurt."

**
140. knightress 57
"Ah shucks, now! Can you see the ushers coming in, in all white, with their arms swinging from side to side, with their white gloves ? This is hilarious! Guess I'll be singing this the rest if the day. Lol"

**
REPLY
141. gin40
"Yep!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
142. tabitha mashack
"Awwhhhh it’s a BOP !!!"

**
143. Kendrick Harris- Kenfinity
"Alright, we've got to keep praying, checking on each other and washing our hands!"

**
144. Jim Lee
"Starlight Echoes....I’m doneπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
145. 1st NotLast
"Come on background singers. Lol"

**
146. Marilyn Sullivan
"This is so messed up, but he is so right..LOL"

**
147. Narvelan Coleman
"This jam needs a Grammy!!"

**
148. Joy Carter
"Please put this on iTunes!πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ˜"

**
149. Sheena Marie
"😩😩😩😩🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣 someone put this on FB! I came to see the full version! Sir you are funny πŸ˜„ thank you! For laughter is good for the soul, especially in Times as such! Blessings to you!"

**
REPLY
150. Nai Moore
"I see this being a top 10 gospel hit.....lol"

**
151. Sean C
"That old school Gospel Singer Swag, go head man!"

**
152. Faith Over Matter
"This reminded of something you'd see on Sesame Street... Lol right I can picture Elmo popping out of no where and start singing and dancing with him... Thanks for making something serious "not so serious" ; )"

**
153. Redbone
"My 3 yr old ask to listen to this everyday and sings it like its a real song. Dont let "coronta" ah get on ya. lol 🀣🀣🀣🀣. Shank ya Gina🀣🀣🀣."

**
154. Trolls play narcissistic MIND GAMES!
"This needs to go VIRAL!!!!! No pun intended.πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
155. Natasha Jean
"I am over here clapping my hands!! Amen don’t let the corona get on ya!!"

**
156. Johann Allen
"Thanks Deacon Otis, needed this laugh!!! Stay safe y’all!πŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎ #AloneTogether"

**
157. Linda McMillan
"This is not a laughing matter."

**
158. LittleEva
"That wig!"

**
159. Ro Oliver
"YES LAWD!!πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ"

**
160. 4EVER TRUE!
"The world has children
old school Deacons have CHIRREN!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
161. Penney S.
"Something new to sing while you wash your hands!!!"

**
162. Joyce Edwards
"Sing it Wicknine, loving it🀣"

**
163. Derrick Gentry
"AmenπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½ this is spiritual and funny tooπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
164. Gregory Williams
"Should be the National Coronavirus theme song. πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ˜‚"

****
This concludes Part II of this two part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment