Translate

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Rev. James Cleveland & The Southern California Community Choir - 1979 Gospel song "God Is" (sound file & lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a YouTube sound file of a 1979 recording of the Gospel song "God Is" by James Cleveland & The Southern California Community Choirs.

This song’s lyrics are also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for religious and aesthetic purposes.

All rights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Rev, James Cleveland and The Southern California Community Choirs for their musical legacies and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to the publisher of this sound file on YouTube.
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/kanye-west-sunday-service-choir-gospel.html for the closely related pancocojams post entitled "Kanye West Sunday Service Choir- (Gospel song) "God Is" video & lyrics.

****
SHOWCASE SOUND FILE: Rev. James Cleveland and the Southern California Community Choir - Topic



Provided to YouTube by Malaco Records

God Is · James Cleveland & The Southern California Community Choir

It’s A New Day

℗ 1979 Savoy Records, Inc.

Released on: 1979-08-10

Main Artist: James Cleveland & The Southern California Community Choir

****
LYRICS: GOD IS
(James Cleveland)

[Verse 1]
God is my protection
God is my all in all
God is my guide and direction
God is my all in all

[Verse 2]
God is my joy in time of sorrow
God is my all in all
God is my today and tomorrow
God is my all in all

[Chorus]
God is the joy and the strength of my life
He moves all pain, misery, and strife
He promised to keep me, never to leave me
He's never ever come short of His word
I've got to fast and pray, stay in His narrow way
I've got to keep my life clean everyday;
I want to go with Him when He comes back
I've come to far and I'll never turn back

[Outro]
God is
God is
God is
God is
God is
God is
God is
God is
God is my all in all

Source: https://genius.com/James-cleveland-god-is-lyrics

****
ADDENDUM: COMPLETE ARTICLE ABOUT THIS SONG
From https://myspiritdc.com/1586116/nathaniel-nat-morris-the-voice-of-the-song-god-is-has-died/ “NATHANIEL “NAT” MORRIS” – THE VOICE OF THE SONG “GOD IS” HAS DIED, Winston Chaney, [August 2018]
"Back in 1979, The King of Black Gospel Music “Rev. James Cleveland” who had success with various Choirs, and mainly Choirs from his own Church wrote a song entitled “GOD IS.”

Rev. Cleveland wrote the song, and not being the greatest vocalist in the world got two singers to do the lead. One male and one female. The male lead was “Nathaniel “Nat” Morris” and the female lead was “Dora Pickett.”

The female lead on the song “Dora Picket” died years ago leaving only one half of the duo to go around singing God Is!!

Well the male lead “Nathaniel Morris” has also passed away and being laid to rest in his hometown of Richmond, Va.

Nat Morris was a personal friend of mine down thru the years.

Here are Words from the Mouth of “Nat Morris.”

“I AM THE SINGER SPOTLIGHTED ON THE 1979 RECORDING WITH LATE REV. JAMES CLEVELAND’S SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COM. CHOIR…..WHICH RECEIVED A 1980 GRAMMY NOMINATION FOR THE “IT’S A NEW DAY” FEATURING DORIS PICKETT AND NAT.MORRIS SINGING, ‘ ‘GOD IS MY ALL IN ALL… I AM BLESSED TO BE STILL HERE AND BLESSED TO BE ABLE TO HEAR AND ENJOY YOUR SONGS UNTO THE LORD GOD. ” GOD IS ” .

As the singer of one of the most popular songs in Gospel Music history, his legacy will live on as long the Song– “GOD IS"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment