Translate

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Old School African American Gospel Song "Take A Ride" (with "You Betta Sang!" & similar "sang" comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series that showcases the African American Spiritual "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and two of its Gospel forms: "Swing Down Chariot & Let Me Ride" and "Take A Ride".

Part II of this series showcases another YouTube video of the Gospel song "Take A Ride" and includes the lyrics to that song.

Selected comments from that video's discussion thread are included in this post.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/examples-of-spiritual-swing-low-sweet.html for Part I of this series. Part I showcases YouTube examples of the Spiritual "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" as well as videos of the Gospel song "Swing Down Chariot & Let Me Ride" and The Gospel song "Take A Ride". Links to the lyrics for these songs are included in this post.

****
The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners

Thanks to Chevela Garvin for composing this song and thanks to Delvin Robinson for leading the version of this song that is showcased in this post. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of this post on YouTube.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Old School - Let Me Ride ( Reprise )



Truth Gospel Singers, Nov 16, 2018

Old School - Let Me Ride ( Reprise )
-snip-
"Old school" is a usually complimentary African American Vernacular English term that means something or someone from the past. This song appears to have been composed in 2008 which isn't all that old. However, the way the lead singer and the congregation sung that song, and the way they clapped in accompaniment of their singing is "old school" (from the early to mid 20th century if not older).

"Repise" means to repeat a song, which implies that this church congregation sung this song earlier in that program. Note that several commenters wrote that this was a "home going service" [funeral] for the man who was the lead singer.

****
LYRICS - TAKE A RIDE*
(Chevela Garvin)

I wanna take a ride
Ride [word elongated]
I wanna take a ride
Ride [word elongated]
I'm singing oh angels
Oh [word elongated] angels
Slow down
Slow down your chariot
And let me ride

I wanna see king Jesus
Jesus [word elongated]
I wanna see king Jesus
Jesus[word elongated]
I'm singing oh angels
Slow down your chariot
Let me ride

I wanna go home
Home [word elongated]
I wanna go home
Home [word elongated]

I'm crying oh angels
oh [word elongated angels
Slow down your chariot
oh [word elongated] angels
And let me ride

[Vamp]

Let me ride
Let me ride
Let me ride
Oh [word elongated] angels
Oh [word elongated] angels
Oh [word elongated] angels
Slow down your chariot
Slow down your chariot
Slow down your chariot

[Repeat vamp]
-snip-
This is my transcription of this video. This transcription is largely based on the comment posted by QUE MAC, 2019 in the discussion thread for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqd1KAOzTgI lyric [Example #1 of "Take A Ride", given in Part I of this pancocojams series.]

The words that are given in italics are singing directions.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THE VIDEO THAT IS EMBEDDED IN THIS POST
Many of these comments include the African American Vernacular English (AAVE) present tense verb "sang". The AAVE verb "sang" which is also given as "sangin[g]" means "to sing very well, and especially to sing soulfully very well". Other commenters note that many churches no longer sing this type of Gospel music (or sing Gospel music this way).

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

1. James Singleton, 2018
"the song is by the Spiritual voices of Washington Dc the Title is Take a Ride .its on YouTube"
-snip-
Two examples of this song by the Spiritual Voices Of Washington, D.C. are showcased in Part I of this pancocojams series.

**
2. Mama Lou, 2018
"I luv this. Do anyone knows his name?

**
REPLY
3. GREG STOVER, 2018
"Mama Lou Delvin Robinson"
-snip-
A number of commenters referred to Delvin Robinson by his nickname "Heavy".

**
4.Corey Clemons, 2018
"If the (reprise) was that good, then I know the first part was on fire as well! Brotha got happy towards the end. Nothing but church!!!"

**
REPLY
5. Nia Graham, 2019
"Old school! This is the way I remember when I was a kid!"

**
6. Dr. Armani Trosclair, 2018
"I was a little boy the last time I heard this. But this rendition right here. I remember my Pastor would PAST THE MICROPHONE Looka here if the Brotha woulda kept going CALLING ON THAT chariot. I would mess something up in here. That congregation is on the background! I miss this kinda chuch.. those little country churches is where it is!"
-snip-
The word "chuch" in that comment is probably an approximation of the Black Southern American way of pronouncing the word "church".

**
REPLY
7. jingle fabb, 2019
"You said something right here... Nothing like a good ole country churchπŸ™‹πŸΎ‍♀‍πŸ™‹πŸΎ‍♀‍πŸ™‹πŸΎ‍♀‍πŸ™‹πŸΎ‍♀‍πŸ™‹πŸΎ‍♀‍"

**
REPLY
8. Setory Taylor, 2019
"Man the way he sanging! I would’ve been rolling over that floor. BAPTIST FIT‼️"
-snip-
"Baptist fit" is a play on the medical condition "epilepsy" and the term "epileptic fit" which describes seizures that cause the body to jerk and shake.

**
REPLY
9. Barbara Phillips, 2019
"@Setory Taylor And this was at his Mother's homegoing service...I went in on this
-snip-
"Went in" means to "get happy" [to entirely go into [give in to] the experience of feeling the Holy Spirit.

**
10. Phyllis Taylor, 2019
"My,my,my, I feel the Holy Ghost. What an anointed singer. Churchin the way we used to do it in Savannah GA at Mt. Olive Holiness church under the leadership of Elder Isaac Newkirk. Hallelujah Praise God."

**
11. The band of praise and worship, 2019
"Is this greater new mount olive in statesville nc"

**
REPLY
12. Cody McCain, 2019
"It's at Antioch out in Cleveland (right below Statesville)"

**
13. carlp718, 2019
"This is that congregational singing and church sound that i miss hearing. It is so rare these days."

**
REPLY
14. zerenitee, 2019
"It saddens me somewhat to know that people no longer have church like this or say they miss having church like this. I'm in a lil small town in Georgia and this is the kind of church that still goes on"

**
REPLY
15. Lavender dc, 2018
"In DC, and church is always thumping!
I think it depends on what churches people go to.🀷🏽‍♀‍"
-snip-
I think this commenter is saying that [some] churches in Washington, D. C. still sing that way. Remember that the original group that recorded this song "Spiritual Voices" are from Washington, D.C.

**
16. James Jenkins, 2019
"The kind of music that blesses the soul! πŸ™ŒπŸΎ"

**
17. Charles Graves, 2019
"Please tell the guy on the guitar that He is a bad boy!!!"

**
18. Nique Lasster, 2019
"Never heard this song at all, BUT I LOVE IT!!!! I honestly miss Ole Time Church like this.... HE SUNGGGG THE HECK OUT OF THIS SONG..."

**
REPLY
19. BOSS HOGG SNARE, 2019
"We don't have church like this anymore"

**
20. Queen B, 2019
"I felt this in my soul"

**
21. sean phifer, 2019
"He took me back to 1989 friendship baptist in cooleemee nc about 20 mins from Statesville nc. This youg sang the slop out of this song"

**
22. Shellie Carter, 2019
"Who is he? Does he sing in a group?"

**
REPLY
23. Angel Farris, 2019
"@Shellie Carter Delvin Robinson. Yes he's in a group with his family. The Still Boyz"

**
24. Latasha Jiggetts
"You Better Sang!!!!"

**
25. c tharpe, 2019
"Sing BROTHER"

**
26. Mz. Grace, 2019
"You better sannnnnnnnnnggggggggg HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!"

**
27. R Smith, 2019
"Nothing compares to singing under God's anointing. Praise God πŸ™"

**
28. Fredrequez Smith, 2019
"Man, Heavy you owned this oneπŸ™ŒπŸΎ!"

**
29. Holliman McFatten, 2019
"Sang sir!!!!"

**
30. Brandon Mills, 2019
"Yesssssaaaah!!!!!! Sannng boy!!!"

**
31. Reginald A. Bell Sr., 2019
"YES LORD!!!!!! πŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸŽΆπŸŽ΅πŸŽ΅ My man WENT IN when he "CUPED" that 🎀 mic!!!!πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸƒπŸΏπŸƒπŸΏπŸƒπŸΏ"

**
33. Benjamin Hicks, 2020
"THIS BROTHA CAN SHO-NUF SANG.....WHEN HE STARTED DOING THAT HOLY GHOST BOUNCE, BRUH-MAN WAS READY.....I LIKE THE WAY THIS DUDE SANG; NOT SING, BUT SANG....WHAT'S HIS NAME, AND WHERE IS HE FROM???"

**
34. Jay David, 2020
"If this family ain’t in South Carolina or Georgia!!"

**
35. Christina Ridgeway, 2020
"Home going celebration if I ever saw oneπŸ™ŒπŸ½"

**
36. Sierra Dawson, 2020
"πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ u betta sangggggg ..... Love the oldschool Gospel .πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ"

**
37. Kimmy Skeeter, 2020
"Sing y'all"

**
38. William Brower, 2020
"This man can sang!!!!!!!!

**
39. Pierre Stevens, 2020
"That boy sung the HELL out that song!!!!

I love listening to him sing this song"

**
40. neika kirts, 2020
"I've never heard this song before, but it sure did bring back memories from my country home town in Louisiana.
I can see me beating my tambourine on this songπŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ™ŒπŸ½"

**
41. Cedric Murdaugh, 2020
"Can I get a witness? This right here is my kind of carrying on!"

**
42. Henrietta Parks, 2020
"JESUS! JESUS! JESUS!! THAT BROTHER!! WAS FEELING THAT SONG!! HE TOUCHED MY SPIRIT!!! LET ME RIDE!!!!"

**
43. Spirit of 1778, 2020
"I ain't gonna lie, when I saw the wood panel walls and the red pews my first thought was, "this is that good ol' country church folks used to have."

**
44. Life with Eric, 2020
"Who else hear that good ole clapping"

**
45. Christian Paige, 2020
"My boy heavy famous out here lol. I see you bro"

**
46. Dewayne Galaxy, 2020
"You. Better. Sing. My. Son. In. Spirit"

**
47. Vida Barrett, 2020
"This was awesome! I can’t stop listening to this song. Looks like everyone was on one accord and Jesus definitely showed up!!!!!! πŸ™πŸ½ ❤️❤️"

****
This concludes Part II of this two part pancocojams post>

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

3 comments:

  1. While the African American Vernacular English verb "sang" is used quite often in informal African American YouTube discussion threads, I haven't noticed any examples of it being used outside of the United States.

    In contrast, I've read numerous comments from self-identified Africans on YouTube discussion thread of African music discussion thread that include such African American English terms as "on point", "killing it", "fire", "[someone being] "in the house", and "where my [being from a certain nation or ethnic group] at".

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO I CAME ACROSS THIS ON FB YEARS AGO HE WAS AT HIS MOTHERS FUNERAL WHICH TOUCHED ME EVEN MORE. I HAVE NOT HEARD IT SANG LIKE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Unknown, and thanks for sharing that the singer sang this at his mother's funeral.

      That makes this singing even more remarkable.

      Best wishes!

      Delete