Translate

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

YouTube Vlog: "Let's Discuss: Black Girl Childhood Hand Games and Sing Songs" (examples and comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest revision: March 9, 2021: title change, examples and the YouTube link added

This is Part II of a three part pancocojams series that showcases the vlog [video blog] entitled "Let's Discuss: Black Girl Childhood Hand Games and Sing Songs" which was published on YouTube in 2014 by Ebony Janice Peace. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzHL_1PdbY&t=2s&ab_channel=EbonyJanicePeace

Part II presents every comment from the discussion thread of the 2014 vlog "Let's Discuss: Black Girl Childhood Hand Games and Sing Songs" that include examples of children's hand game rhymes. This post also includes some other comments from that video's discussion thread.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/my-transcript-of-youtube-vlog-lets.html for Part I of this series. Part I showcases this vlog and presents my (unofficial) transcription of that video.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/a-black-womans-comments-about-2014-vlog.html for Part III of this pancocojams series. Part III presents my response to some points that were made in the 2014 vlog "Let's Discuss: Black Girl Childhood Hand Games and Sing Songs".

The content of this post is presented for socio-cultural, folkloric purposes, and educational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to EbonyJanice Peace and thanks to all others who are quoted in this post. Particular thanks for those who included where and when they remembered chanting or hearing particular hand games.
-snip-
Pancocojams Editor's Note: This transcription doesn't mean that I agree with everything that EbonyJanice Peace said in her 2014 video log (vlog) that is found in this post. My comments about that vlog will be published ASAP.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THAT VIDEO BLOG'S (VLOG) 'S DISCUSSION THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzHL_1PdbY&t=2s&ab_channel=EbonyJanicePeace

Pancocojams Editor's Note: Some of these examples can be considered risque.

Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

1. Brittney Lewis, 2015
"Lil Sally walker was walking down the street she didn't know what to do so she stopped in front of me and she said go on girl shake that thing shake that thing don't stop gone girl shake dat thing shake dat thing don't stop she never went to college she never went to school come to find out she was an educated fool _Baltimore childhood lil girl games"

**
2. Mayodi, 2015
"Hey..Love your videos. I'm from Kenya and we had similar hand games though we butchered the words.lol! I think the hand games and singing games were away for our people to address the issues facing our community and teaching us lessons in the process much like folk tales...idk. it's the same with nursery rhymes a ring a ring of roses was about the black plague the swept across Europe and how they would put poses in the pockets of the dead to deal with the stench or Mary Mary quite contrary was about Marie Antoinette...wow went dark there for a minute...not sure what a rub a dub dub three men in a tub was about...thinking about it I should have just done a response video...but yeah the hand games I think are a way to deal with issues affecting our community on a child's level."

**
3. Noreen Raines, 2015
"We did them in Jamaica too!"

**
4. Kyra Gaunt Ph.D., 2015
"I wrote a book about it that might interest you. The Games Black Girls Play: Learning the Ropes from Double Dutch to Hip Hop.

**
5. Ashley Hankins, 2015
"Yes, you actually just brought some back to me. But on the tweet one I remember that end piece. That's funny, being younger and doing this, we were having fun doing the hand games knowing the words but not listening and understanding them. Wow. MakeYou wonder who came up with these songs."

**
6. Y W, 2016
"So interesting! Wow I was just talking about the same thing! I thought it was just me and one other person! I am so happy you posted this! I was wondering if we and other black girls were some how connected on some level like radio waves or something? I didn't know what to think! Because as you were saying, "How were these songs transmitted?! We just played singing them! Another black girl song we use to play with so much rhythm and dance was, "My boyfriend really did it!! He really really really took me to the ocean!!! He really really really showed me commotion!!! He really really really! I said really! Say what now! Really my name is ____ Really my sign is ____ Really etc etc.!!!!!!"
-snip-
This comment is quoted as it was written in that discussion.

**
7. Leo Mccray, 2016
"As a boy growing up listened to all the girls sing and play these "hand games" and sometimes joined in. So... With that said, being that the word were a reflection of our day to day what is the problem. B/c as many of us can see you and some others turned out very well.

**
REPLY
8. EbonyJanice Peace, 2016
"Well +Leo Mccray I don't know that I offered that it was a horrible thing. Really this video is just a reflection of how inappropriate these games were and how much more ridiculous they are now. (shrugs) They can be harmless, meaningless dribble -- but I'm sure we'd prefer our own daughters to not be walking around singing some of these songs. Just my thoughts on the subject. It's a fun conversation to have. That's all. Peace & Light."

**
9. trinigyul, 2016
"It was very prevalent in the caribbean too, it was our popular games in primary schools."

**
10. Nikkole Salter, 2016
"This is an L.A. perspective:... This first one is not so much a hand game as much as it is a cipher: You know, I shake the best, hey, hey/ You know, from the east to the west! My name's (enter your name) and my favorite color's black (or whatever color you like) / I took your man and you won't get him back, hey hey / You know, I shake the best, hey, hey/ You know, from the east to the west! (and every person gets a chance, state your color and your bravado in rhyme)... Then there was this other call & response cipher (which I don't hear too many people mention outside my generation and region)... Tether ball, tether ball/Oosha, asha!/Tether ball, tether ball/Oosha, asha! My name's (enter your name) (tether ball), super cool, (tether ball) You mess with me (tether ball) You's a fool (tether ball) I got this man (tether ball) On my mind (tether ball) You mess with him (tether ball) Your butt is straight up mine. Oooh. Tether ball, tether ball/Oosha, Asha! etc. -- You make up your own rhyme of bravado..."

**
REPLY
11. Azizi Powell, 2017
"EbonyJanice Peace, thanks for publishing this video and Nikkole Salter, thanks to you and others writing in this discussion thread for sharing these examples. I'm an African American collector of children's rhymes & cheers-especially from African Americans. Fyi, I've found two other examples of "Tether ball" and each of them were from Los Angeles.

Also, your example "You Know, I Shake The Best" is very similar to Virginia State University Woo Woos' stomp & shake cheerleader cheer "Who Shakes The Best". I included the link to the other examples of "Tether Ball" and other links to examples that I've found of similar cheers in this post on my cultural blog: https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/07/is-this-old-childrens-cheer-source-of.html "Is This Old Children's Cheer The Source Of VSU's "Who Cheers The Best" Stomp & Shake Cheer?"

Nikkole, for the folkloric record, I'd love to know when you performed these cheers. Was it in the 1990s?

Thanks again!"

**
12. Tareyah, 2016
"I definitely realized how inappropriate some of those games were when I grew up! I grew up in Philly, Pa... one that stands out to me the most was called Ikey and Mikey. It was similar to one you were singing but it went...

"Ikey and Mikey were sitting on a fence... Ikey called Mikey a dirty son of a... bring down your children and let them play with sticks and when they get older they'll learn to play with... Dicky had a party and invited Tiny Tim... He took him to the ocean to see if he can swim... they swam from the bottom and up to the top... turned around and ate his mother... cocktail Ginger ale 5 cents a glass... if you don't like me you can kiss my dirty... ask me no questions I'll tell you no lies... give me a cherry and I'll bake a cherry pie."

It makes NO sense but we used to sing it like it was nothing and I'm surprised out mothers didn't say anything. LOL! We had many others talking about our boyfriends... "...and what about your boyfriend? He gonna work this body-yiddie-yiddie make sure he don't hurt nobody.' WHAT?! I do love that that's a part of our culture though... something many of us can connect on. :)"

**
13. MahoganyD, 2016
"Little Sally Walker would get us spanked. Especially the "gone girl shake that thang" part. One of my favorite was the "Shame Shame Shame" game because of the complex coordination. However third graders had no business singing the lyrics. "Shame Shame Shame
I don't wanna go to Mexico no more more more.
There's a big fat policeman at the door door door.
He'll grab you by the collar
Make you pay a dollar
I don't wanna go to Mexico no more more more." I wish there was more of a history on clapping games. It would be an interesting read."

**
14. Kiara Jones, 2016
"When it comes to hand games, it was one of my favorite part of my childhood because of how fun and simple it was. I played Miss Mary Mack, Rockin robin, I don't want to go to mexico, Slide, and two newer ones like Welcome to McDonald's and The Simpsons. Now the Simpsons one is probably the most adult like one I've said besides Rockin robin and I don't want to Mexico but the most it ever said "criss-cross applesauce (hands on the opposite shoulders)/ thigh - thigh, chicken thigh (hands on thighs) / butt-butt, Pizza Hut (hands on butt) ". My parents never necessarily allowed me to do very explicit hand games (at least not that often), to the point where I don't remember them really well. So it never really affected me as a child. (Mainly because I was super, super positive and optimistic to even notice the adult jokes inside the sing songs)"

**
15. Chrystal Smith, 2017
"Yes!!!! I grew up in Chicago and me and my aunt JUST had this conversation!!! How about "tell it, tell it tell it like it is. I go to school (tell it tell it)
Smoking kools (tell it tell it)
I walk the streets (tell it tell it)
10 times a week (tell it tell it)
I'm number third (tell it tell it)
Smoking herb (tell it tell it)....
& the nonsense continues. Smh... my grandmother wouldn't let us sing that one."

**
16. Dianne Daniels, 2017
"The rhyme from my childhood went "Last night, night before, 24 robbers at my door, I woke up, let them in, hit 'em on the head with a rolling pin..." then you counted until you missed a clap or the jump rope going over your head. Highest count won!"

**
17. Davina, 2017
"My sister and cousins had a similar conversation a few years ago. We noticed that the songs are prevalent across the US and that they transcend generations. My aunt (14 years my senior), myself, and my cousin (30yrs my junior), played some of the same hand games. Interestingly, my nieces who did not attend Black elementary schools, played little or no hand games and the ones they did play had more innocent lyrics. One of the most risqué songs was a version of "Down, Down, Baby" played in Los Angeles in the early 70s (my aunt and cousin sang different versions of this song). These are the lyrics to the Los Angeles 1970s version:

" Down, down baby, down by the rollercoaster. Sweet, sweet baby, please don't you let me go. Shimmy, shimmy coco pop, shimmy, shimmy aiyeee. Shimmy, shimmy coco pop, shimmy shimmy aiyee. I got a boyfriend, a biscuit, he so sweet, a biscuit, light my cherry tree."

No kidding! While fascinated by the hand game, we also noticed that many of these songs contained subject matter inappropriate for children--most of it about sex. I wonder who originated these songs and what was their intention. Were they to warn girls about dangerous behavior like accepting candy or other gifts from men or sneaking out to meet men? Were they composed by girls who had been seduced by older boys or men? Were they composed by people who had an interest in perpetuating stereotypes such as in the song you mentioned where daddy's a gangster, brother's in jail, and sister's prostitute?

Thanks Ebony, for your video. I am encouraged to research a topic that I had long forgotten about."

**
18. Rita D, 2017
"Thank you for this... Chicago. Lucy Lucy Where you been ? I've been around the world and I'm going again. I've been to England, I've been to France and all I saw was hot pants! On top,Robot, really groovy a loose booty."

**
19. Rita D, 2017
"Ok one more, before I lose my memory. I am 52. Miss Lucy had a baby she named him tiny Tim,she put him in the bathtub to the teach him how to swim. He drank up all the water,he ate up all the soap, he tried to eat the bathtub, but it wouldn't go down his throat. Hmmm said the doctor. Hmm, said the nurse, Hmmm said the lady with the alligator purse!"

**
20. Amy Brewer, 2018
"Just looked up "Blak Girl Hand Games" after reading an article in an educational journal. I'm a white girl who went to Catholic schools in the 1980's and we did/sang many of these with the same "lyrics". You just going over some of them reminded me of all the ones we used to do on the playground!"

**
21. Cidnei Gregory, 2019
"I'm from Chicago and thinking back these songs were really inapproprate and the only song we couldn't sing was Jiggalo

My back is aching
My bra too tight
My booty shaking from the left to the right
My hands up high
My feet down low
And this the way I jiggalo

The one we used to sing all the time was

I am a little first grader. As pretty as can be be. And all the boys around my block go crazy over me me. My boyfriend name is Jello. He lives in Alabamo. With a big fat nose and 35 toes and this is how my story goes. One day I was walking. I saw my boyfriend talking to the the ugliest girl named (insert ugly girl name) in the world and this is what he said to her. M-I-S-S miss you. K-I-S-S kiss you. L-O-V-E love you and this is what I said to her.
See my pinkie. see my thumb. See my fist you better run. Recesse's Recesse's Coco Puff mess with my man I'll mess you up."

**
22. Monaedeezy, 2019
"I remember these. Chicago native! Especially down down baby, i don’t want to go to Mexico no more more more, “he grabbed me by the collar”, Ms. Mary Mack, and the Banana fana song and play on name. You mentioned the well known.

There is another I totally forgot but it was about shooting Barney from the Tree.."

**
23. Melissa Stark, 2019
"I loveeee all these! Nostalgia!! K let me share some I grew up with lol “tingalo, ting ting alo uh oh uh oh , my hands are up my feet are down this is the way my body moves“ LOL

“Tic tac toe 3 in a row Barney got shot by a g.i joe wine to the doctor and he doctor said whop Barney’s dead” LOL

Stella Ella ola quack quack quack decay es Chico Chico Chico Chico chap, hello hello hello hello hello say 1,2...9,10”

Circle circle dot dot now I got
My cootie shot


Grew up In Toronto Canada :)"

**
24. Malissa Thompson, 2020
"I remember Miss Suzy had a baby. Instead of humm, it went...Miss Suzy called the doctor, Miss Suzy called the nurse, Miss Suzy called the lady with the alligator purse.....then Miss Suzy told them all to get out. Georgia Version."

**
25. Myesha Torres, 2020
"Mail man mail man - do your duty here comes the lady with the African booty . She can do the pom she can do the twist but most of all she can kiss kiss kiss . K -I -S -S .

That was one that always made me feel weird as a child"

**
26. Angi Simon, 2020
“Ebony, I'm so glad I found your channel! This 68-yo white "girl" Seattle transplant from Los Angeles was searching for "rhyming hand games" on YouTube and there you were. I'll share a couple of rhymes that I can remember.

1) "Eeny-meeny jipsaleeny, oopa-ahpa achaleeny, otchy-cotchy Liberachi I love you! Take a peach take a plum take a stick of bubble gum. Don't like it don't take it, but please don't break it. Teacher teacher don't be dumb, give me back my bubble-gum. If your teacher make you cry, pack your books and say good-bye."

2) "Not last night but the night before, 24 robbers came knocking at my door. When I went out to let them in, this is what they said to me. Lady, lady turn around, lady, touch the ground. Lady, lady let us in..."

They also taught me to Double Dutch jump rope and how to jump in back doors.”
-snip-
“how to jump in back doors” probably refers to a movement that is done while jumping in the middle of a single rope that is  turned by two “enders” (people holding each end of the rope) 

****
This concludes Part II of this pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. With regard to the comment given as #2 above that "ring around the rosie" refers to the black plague, that theory has been debunked some time ago even though many people still believe it. Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/03/debunking-still-widely-held-myth-that.html for this 2020 pancocojams post about that theory.

    Also, I very much doubt that "Mary" in the "Mary Mary quite contrary" rhyme has anything what so ever to do with the French Queen Marie Antoniette.

    ReplyDelete