Translate

Thursday, February 20, 2020

(Nigerian Singer) Niniola - "Saro" (official YouTube with lyrics & English translation)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a three part pancocojams series that showcases the Nigerian song "Saro" by Niniola.

Part I showcases the official YouTube video of this song and presents its Yoruba lyrics with an English translation.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/02/information-about-nigerian-singer.html for Part II of this pancocojams series. Part II showcases Niniola's song "Saro" and presents information about Niniola. Part II also presents information about Niniola's songs and particular information about the song "Saro".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2020/02/some-examples-of-african-american.html Part III presents examples of comments from the discussion thread for the official YouTube video of Niniola's song "Saro" that include African American Vernacular English.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Niniola Apata and thanks to all those who are associated with this video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: NINIOLA SARO (OFFICIAL VIDEO)



OfficialNiniola, Jan 4, 2018


As we start the New Year, NINIOLA kicks off from where she stopped in 2017...
Following the successful release of her Debut album "THIS IS ME", with banging Singles like MARADONA and SICKER still tearing the airwaves...The Nigerian Queen of Afro-House has teamed up yet again with ace video director Clarence Peter on the SARZ produced song titled SARO.
SARO comes as the 3rd official Single off the Album, as NINIOLA promises to take us on an interesting journey in 2018.
So Sit back and enjoy as NINIOLA kicks off our 2018...

-snip-
Statistics as of Feb. 20, 2020

total # of views- 1,468,944
total # of likes-6.9K
total # of dislike-109
total # of comments-446


****
LYRICS: SARO
(as sung by Niniola)

Saro mi
: My lover
Solida
Nini de
Solidaaa
Solidarity from me to you
Just like when you go in war front
Solidarity from me to you
Baby i will stand by, di gben gben

Fun mi leyo kan
: Give me one more time
Fun mi nikan siiii
: Give me one more time
Fun mi leyo kannn
: Give me one more time
Saro mi saro mi saro miii
: My lover! My lover! My lover!
Fun mi nikan siii
Fun mi leyokann
Saro mi na
Aro re n san mi, saro mi na
: I’m longing for you, my lover

Kalakuta na the only place for me to be somebody
: Kalakuta Republic is the only place I can be somebody
Kalakuta na the only place for me to heal say
: Kalakuta Republic is the only place to heal
If i catch you with another girl you know say you no fit escape
Dokita mi mo pe i fit commit
: My doctor knows I’m crazy
Sarooo
Aro re n san mi, saro mi na
Sarooooooo, aro re n san mi sa ro mi na
Aro re n san mi saro mi na

Fun mi leyokann, fun mi nikan siii
Sarooo, marooo, weyooo jije ko salo
My own, my bone, je tomorrow ko gbe oruka simi looowo
: My own, my bone, put a ring on my finger tomorrow
Malo ro malo ro pe, ole ri lo lo jeje
: Don’t even think! Don’t even think!
Malo ro malo ro peeee
: Don’t even think!
Malo ro malo ro peeee, o le ji jo ko sale ehhhhh

Kalakuta na the only place for me to be somebody
Kalakuta na the only place for me to heal, say
If i catch you with another girl you know say you no fit escape
Dokita mi mo pe i fit commit
Sarooo
Aro re n san mi, saro mi na
Aro re n san mi, saro mi na
Aro re n san mi, saro mi na
Saro mi na
Aro re n san mi, saro mi na
Aro re n san mi, saro mi na
Fun mi nikan siii, fun mi leyokann

Source: https://lyrixofafrica.com/lyrics/niniola-saro-lyrics Niniola Saro Lyrics + Translation
-snip-
The English translations are prefaced by the "colon" punctuation mark ":".
-snip-
Here's a comment exchange from the discussion thread for this video:
Tajah Lawrence, 2019
"I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this song. But what does "Saro" mean?"

**
REPLY
blazinghot99, 2019
"Tajah Lawrence Saro is a name. She is talking about her lover...how much she loves and misses him."
-snip-
Given that comment and other similar comments, the word Saro" doesn't mean "lover".

Yoruba names are made by combining two elements. I don't know what the element "saro" means.

****
This concludes Part I of this three part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Some commenters in the discussion thread for Niniola's official YouTube video for "Saro" wrote that this singer reminded them of Fela Kuti, the Nigerian singer, activist, and founder of Afro-Beat music genre. One commenter wrote that Niniola had even mentioned "Kalakuta" in her song "Saro".

    That comment motivated me to look up information about "Kalakuta". Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article about Kalakuta:

    From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalakuta_Republic
    "Kalakuta Republic was the name musician and political activist Fela Kuti gave to the communal compound that housed his family, band members, and recording studio. Located at 14 Agege Motor Road, Idi-Oro, Mushin, Lagos, Nigeria, it had a free health clinic, and recording facility. Fela declared it independent from the state ruled by the military junta after he returned from the United States in 1970.[1] The compound burned to the ground on February 18, 1977 after an assault by a thousand armed soldiers.

    "Kalakuta" was a mockery of a prison cell named "Calcutta" that Fela inhabited.”...

    ReplyDelete