Translate

Thursday, November 28, 2019

Sister Act 2 (Finale) - "Joyful Joyful" (information, video, & comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post presents information about the song "Joyful Joyful" and showcases a YouTube video of that song as performed in the 1993 movie Sister Act II.

Selected comments from that embedded video's discussion thread are also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Ludwig van Beethoven'the composer of the music that is used for "Joyful Joyful" and thanks to Henry van Dyke, the composer of this poem that is used for most of this song. Thanks also to the arranger of this version of this song and thanks to all those who are featured in this video clip from the movie Sister Act II. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to the publisher of this video on YouTube.
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/11/sister-act-ii-back-in-habit-o-happy-day.html for the pancocojams post entitled "Sister Act II- Back In The Habit - "O Happy Day" (information, video, and comments)"

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE SONG "JOYFUL JOYFUL"
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hymn_of_Joy
" "The Hymn of Joy"[1] (often called "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee" after the first line) is a poem written by Henry van Dyke in 1907 with the intention of musically setting it to the famous "Ode to Joy" melody of the final movement of Ludwig van Beethoven's final symphony, Symphony No. 9.[2]

Background
Van Dyke wrote this poem in 1907 while staying at the home of Williams College president Harry Augustus Garfield. He was serving as a guest preacher at Williams at the time. He told his host that the local Berkshire Mountains had been his inspiration.[3]

The lyrics were first published in 1911 in Van Dyke's Book of Poems, Third Edition.[3]"...
-snip-
The lyrics for this song as sung in Sister Act II (without the rap) are found in that Wikipedia page.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Sister Act 2 (Finale) Lauryn Hill - Joyful Joyful With Lyrics (Ft. Whoopi Goldberg)



Bound4Earth, Dec 9, 2009

[...]

Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit
Joyful Joyful
St. Francis Choir (Ft. Lauryn Hill, Ryan Toby, Devin Kamin, Ron Johnson & Whoopi Goldberg As Choir Director)

[...]

I loved this movie when I was a younger. Lauren Hill has always been a ridiculous talented singer. Yet again I couldn't find a good quality video, so I uploaded my own. Hope you enjoy.
-snip-
Click https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Act_2:_Back_in_the_Habit for information about this 1993 movie.
-snip-
Here are a few comments from that video's discussion thread, with numbers added for referencing purposes only.
All of these comments are from 2019.

1. Tiffany Morgan
"My favorite song and scene in this movie"

**
REPLY
2. Edwin Bitsoe
".......... ABSOLUTELY........!!!!!!!!!!!!"

**
REPLY
3. Luca Luehrs
"... NOT...
Oh happy day!"

**
4. Que Avant
"Best part of the entire movie aside from “Oh Happy Day”

**
5. Lissalixi
"Can we all just appreciate this (2:42) dance move for a second?"

**
REPLY
6. dtnuh
..."it's from Janet Jackson's "What Have You Done For Me Lately", both the choreo and the sample tune, lol."

**
7. MonkeyDLuffy 86
"All those good vibes from the 90's 00' when you were singing with ur guts"

**
8. crystal nicole
"this will forever be the littest 😏πŸ”₯"
-snip-
"the littest" = "the best"

**
9. Mr Gritster
1"This movie introduced me to Lauryn Hill, and at the time I had no idea who she was (I wasn't much into hip-hop when I was younger) but I had no idea who was singing I just remember thinking (wow she's a good singer) later on after I discovered the Fugees and Miseducation I learned very quickly exactly who this young woman was, and I don't know, this movie was just amazing to me when I was younger."

**
10. Talia Oliver
"I still get chills hearing Lauryn song this sh&t*. This arrangement was just brilliant to include all the latest hip hop and pop songs at the time as well. Now that I’m older I appreciate this sooooo much more considering how the music industry is πŸ’©πŸ’©"
-snip-
*This word is fully spelled out in this comment.

***
11. LeonidasSthlm
"I could have done without the rap part, too much vanilla ice for me. The rest is beautiful!"

**
REPLY
12. SCH SAS
"πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

**
REPLY
13. Kaga Kouko
"That was best part when I first saw this"

**
14. Maeve Mallory
"I bet most people these days dont know the popular songs they incorporated in there..."

**
REPLY
15. Maeve Mallory
"janet jackson, naughty by nature, etc etc etc"

**
16. Jessica Williams
"I love her voice! Hard to believe she was booed off the Apollo back in the day."

**
REPLY
17. Mookaron
"They didn't know. Smh"

**
REPLY
18. Joshua Baratheon
"She wasn't "booed off", she was booed in the beginning of his song because her microphone was too far from her. By the middle of her song the boos had stopped allowing her to finish strong and she got a huge applause."

**
19. Abbie Price
"I love the 90s fashion everyone’s wearing in this number! I’m so lucky I was born in 1993!"

**
20.Ikeoluwa Hamzat
"The harmonies for the 4 girls😍😍😍😍😍😍 2:26"

**
REPLY
21. Dan Wruck
"Yes! It's heavenly!!"

**
REPLY
22. L Cassandra Joint
"Yes yes yes ❤ whomever arranged this deserves composer of the century award. 2019 πŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™πŸΎ

**
23. CuriousWoman89
"This was my saving grace, when I was going through times in childhood i'd shut myself away in my room and snuggle up in bed with this video on (I watched it so much I wore it out!) and just sing the entire movie word for word with the biggest smile and tears down my face πŸ’œ this movie shaped my life and brought me my love of gospel, music and moved me to look into working in the religion life ☺πŸ’• THANKYOU xoxo"

**
REPLY
24. Free to Dream
"That's an amazing testimony!"

**
25. MalieeimaL
"signed with LOVE.
the 90's."

**
26. Independent Artist
"Please take my statement positively, I'm not trying to be racist,.... But till now,... Not many could ever challenge African American when it comes to solid voice tone, perfect pitch and harmonising,.... SALUTE!"

**
REPLY
27. 932ForeverLove
"I personally don’t see that as racist. You’re acknowledging a gift and talent within the African American community and you’re praising them for it."

**
REPLY
28. Independent Artist
"@932ForeverLove I'm glad you think that way about my statement. A very warm HELLO from Malaysia. :)"

**
REPLY
29. 932ForeverLove
"Independent Artist And a warm hello to you from America. πŸ€— (hug!)"

**
30. Thelma Gore
"How old was lauren in this movie?"

**
REPLY
31. sveva baccanelli
"@Thelma Gore 18"

**
32. SURA
"If church was like this, i’d be there. Front row."

**
33. Go Giants
"All four of them together ar 2:27...WOW, AMAZING! That completely changed the entire vibe of the song."

**
34. Carla burks
"What happened to that young man in the African attire? He held his own and killed it also."

**
REPLY
35. BeautyfulAshley
"Carla burks he was in the group City High. Not sure what he’s up to today"

**
36. clearea
"so much aesthetic here"

**
REPLY
37. Azizi Powell
[comment posted in this discussion thread on November 26, 2019 and edited on November 28, 2019]
"@clearea I particularly like the kente cloth shirt that the male singer wore with a kufi @2:36 in this video. According to Wikipedia "Kufi or kufi cap is a brimless, short, and rounded cap worn by men in many populations in North Africa, East Africa, Western Africa and South Asia. It is also worn by men throughout the African diaspora...

In West Africa, a kufi cap is the traditional hat for men, and is part of the national costume of most of the countries in the region. It is worn by Muslims, and African Christians. Many grandfathers and other older men wear a kufi every day to symbolize their status as wise elders, religious people, or family patriarchs."...
-end of Wikipedia quote-

Wearing a kufi was one custom that afrocentric African American males adopted in the late 1960s. I particularly recall seeing Black men wearing knitted kufis. (R&B singer/composer Marvin Gaye was photographed and filmed wearing knitted kufis and sewn kufis during the early 1970s. However, since at least the early 2000, I rarely see any African American males wearing kufis. I also haven't seen many clothes that are worn by African Americans other than sometimes during Kwanzaa or during AfroPunk festivals. On the other hand, the custom of wearing kente cloth patterned stoles over their robes has become rather "traditional" for African Americans graduating from colleges/universities."

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment