Translate

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

What "Where It's At" And "Where My People At?" REALLY Mean

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a two part pancocojams series on the question "Where my people at?" and its variant forms such as "Where my Nigerians [or another nation's population etc.] at?"

This post presents some general information about and meanings for the question "Where my people at?" and the earlier (?) idiom "Where it's at"?

This post also showcases a YouTube sound file for Chris Kenner's 1961 R&B song "I Like It Like That" which includes the phrase "where it's at". This post also showcase two video examples that include the lyrics "Where my people at?"

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/10/examples-of-where-my-people-at-from-two.html for Part II of this pancocojams series. Part II of this pancocojams series presents examples of variant forms of the question "Where my people at?" and from two discussion threads for Nigerian singer Yemi Alade.

I'm particularly interested in examples from online commenters who don't appear to be from (or in) the United States.

The content of this post is presented for cultural and linguistic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of the embedded YouTube videos.

****
GENERAL COMMENTS ABOUT THE QUESTION "WHERE MY PEOPLE AT?"
From https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/where-are-you-at?page=2
..."according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary of English Usage, it was... in 1859, that “where at” was first noted in a Dictionary of Americanisms. They agree that “where at” is almost never used in formal writing, and attribute its growth in popularity in the 1960s to the idiom “where it’s at” "...
-snip-
This article indicates that "Where my people at?" means the same thing as "Where are my people?"

While that's correct, "Where my people at?" isn't only asked (or may not even be asked) to find out where someone's "people" are located at that given point in time.

For instance, in discussion threads for certain YouTube music videos, "Where my people at?" (or more often) "Where my [people from a particular nation, region, etc.] at?" (such as "Where my Nigerians at?") serves as a call, command, or request for people from that nation to "sign in" to that discussion thread in order to register their presence. In signing in the commenters have represented their nation [or ethnic group, or region etc. and have indicated their knowledge and approval of that particular song. Examples of this type of "Where my people at?" comments and responses are found in Part II of this pancocojams series.

Other variants of "Where my people at?" such as "Where are the dark skinned girls?" are also included in Part II of this pancocojams series.

****
WHAT "WHERE IT'S AT" MEANS
The idiom "Where it's at" doesn't mean the same thing as "Where my people at?".

Here's some information about the idiom "Where it's at?":
Excerpt #1:
From https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/where+it%27s+at
"where it's at
1. The place where things are most exciting, active, or lively.
I've traveled all over the world, and, if you're looking for a party, Ibiza is definitely where it's at.
For the last few decades, Austin has been where it's at for the independent music scene in the southern United States.

2. The place, field, industry, etc., where there is the most activity and opportunity.
For people who want to produce online content, streaming services are where it's at right now.
If you're looking for the most lucrative and plentiful job opportunities, computer programming is where it's at.

3. That which is currently very fashionable, trendy, or popular.
Big, broad suits are so last-century—well fitted trousers, jackets, and shirts are where it's at right now."...

Excerpt #2:
From https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/19/where-its-at/
"where it’s at
This slang expression gained widespread currency in the sixties as a hip way of stating that the speaker understood the essential truth of a situation: “I know where it’s at.” Or more commonly: “You don’t know where it’s at.” It is still heard from time to time with that meaning, but the user risks being labeled as a quaint old Boomer. However, standard usage never accepted the literal sense of the phrase. Don’t say, “I put my purse down and now I don’t know where it’s at” unless you want to be regarded as uneducated. “Where it is” will do fine; the “at” is redundant."

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTE:
The ending word "at" for the "Where my people at" sentence can be purposeful used "incorrect" English".

The "on purpose" use of what White mainstream societies negatively called and still call "bad English" is actually an example of knowingly code switching from standard ("correct") English to "street" English, i.e. a referent for African American Vernacular English. That way of talking is considered to be more hip; more "for real", and authentic than proper (correct, standard) English. I refer to the use of this type of Black talk online as "putting on the Black".

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/03/puttin-on-black-online-black-talk-code.html fr a March 10, 2012 pancocojams post on this subject entitled "Puttin On The Black - Online Black Talk & Code Switching".

****
HOW "WHERE IT'S AT" BECAME POPULAR IN THE 1960s
The saying "Where it's at" was popularized by the 1961 R&B song "I Like It Like That" by African American performing artist Chris Kenner
Here's an article about that song:
From https://www.dailydoowop.com/chris-kenner-i-like-it-like-that/ "Chris Kenner I Like it Like That" Published by Jane Minogue at March 8, 2018
"Ah, the sounds from New Orleans. The song, which was written by Chris Kenner and Allen Toussaint, went to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #2 on the R&B Singles Chart in 1961. “I Like it Like That” sold more than one million copies and received an RIAA gold record. There were covers, among others, by The Dave Clark Five, The Nashville Teens, The Kingsmen, Brinsley Schwartz, and Loggins and Messina. The song is on the soundtrack to the 1987 Vietnam War film Full Metal Jacket.

Chris Kenner was also known for his song “Land of a Thousand Dances,’ which he recorded in 1963. It was covered notably by Wilson Pickett as well as Danny & the Memories, Thee Midniters, Cannibal and the Headhunters, and Ted Nugent.

Here are the lyrics to “I Like it Like That” by Chris Kenner:

Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
The name of the place is I like it like that

Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
The name of the place I like it like that

They got a little place a-down the track
The name of the place is I like it like that
Now you take Sally and I’ll take Sue
And we’re gonna rock away all of our blues

Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
The name of the place is I like it like that

Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
I will show you (come on let me show you where it’s at)
The name of the place I like it like that

The last time I was down there I lost my shoes
They had some cat shoutin’ the blues
The people was yellin’ and shoutin’ for more
And all they kept sayin’ was-a “go man, go”

Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
I said the name of the place is like it like that

Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
Come on (come on let me show you where it’s at)
The name of the place is I like it like that"...

****
HOW "WHERE MY PEOPLE AT?" BECAME WIDELY KNOWN BEGINNING IN 2013- ROXXY ANDREWS ON RU PAUL'S DRAG RACE (American Television Series, Season 5 (2013)

INFORMATION ABOUT RU PAUL'S DRAG RACE
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuPaul%27s_Drag_Race
"RuPaul's Drag Race is an American reality competition television series produced by World of Wonder for Logo TV, WOW Presents Plus, and, beginning with the ninth season VH1. The show documents RuPaul in the search for "America's next drag superstar."[1] RuPaul plays the role of host, mentor, and head judge for this series, as contestants are given different challenges each week. RuPaul's Drag Race employs a panel of judges, including RuPaul, Michelle Visage, Santino Rice, and a host of other guest judges, who critique contestants' progress throughout the competition. The title of the show is a play on drag queen and drag racing, and the title sequence and song "Drag Race" both have a drag-racing theme."...

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO
Where my people at? Roxxxy Andrews - Can I get an Amen



Venis Mirage, Published on Jan 22, 2015

WHERE MY PEOPLE AT?
-snip-
As part of a challenge in an episode of season #5 [2013], Roxxy Andrews improvised the line "Where my people at?" as part of a refrain for the song "Can I Get An Amen?" The line "Where my people at" (given with an exclamation point and not a question mark) is listed as one of Roxxy Andrews memorable quotes from Season 5 in this online page about that drag queen https://rupaulsdragrace.fandom.com/wiki/Roxxxy_Andrews.

The saying "Where my people at?" was later included in the final recording of that song that Ru Paul sung along with Roxxy, and some other contestants. Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSaJkO_2CNA for that music video.

****
AN EXAMPLE OF VARIANT FORMS OF "WHERE MY PEOPLE AT?" IN A GOSPEL SONG SUNG IN XHOSA PERFORMED BY THE SOUTH AFRICAN GOSPEL CHOIR JOYOUS CELEBRATION

Joyous Celebration - Ngiphete' Ungqo



joyousVEVO, Oct 19, 2015
-snip-
Song: Ngiphete Ungqo
Artist: Joyous Celebration
Album: Joyous Celebration 16 [2012]
-snip-
English translation:

I'm untouchable
I'm unaffected
I'm not wandering
I'm not hurting
(Yes I'm unshakable, I've got the best of gospel)

I'm untouchable
I'm a holy girl/lady
No I'm untouchable
I'm a lady/girl of gospel

Even if you can give me money
A car, cellphone and all of that
I'm untouchable
I'm a lady/girl of gospel
Where my girl's at?

I'm not wandering
I'm a holy woman/mother
I'm not wandering
I'm a woman/mother of gospel

When times are hard
I look upon Christ
I'm not wandering, no
I'm not wandering
I'm not wandering
Where my mothers at?

The man says I'm unaffected
I'm a holy man
I'm unaffected
I'm a man of gospel

Even if you show me your cleavage
Mini-skirt, hairpieces and all that
I'm not affected
I'm a man of the gospel
Where the man at?

I'm unshakable
I'm a holy father
I'm unshakable
I'm a father of gospel

I sleep at home, I eat at home
I get everything at home
I'm a father, I'm a father of gospel
Where my fathers at?

We have the best, we have the best
We have the best, we have the best
We have the best, we have the best
Of gospel

I'm not hurting
I've got the best of gospel
No I'm not hurting
I've got the best of gospel

posted in that discussion thread by Moriti Molapo (2016)

Italics are added to highlight the "Where my people at?" lyrics.

In this song the "where my [noun] at?" question isn't asked to find out where the people in that category are (their location.) Instead, that question "Where my mother/woman" at?" etc. is asked to provide an opportunity for women of the gospel to publicly affirm their status of being "of the gospel". In the United States, people would say that this is a "call" for people to enthusiastically "respond" that they are born again/saved.
-snip-
Pancocojams Editor's Note:
I happened upon this South African Gospel song by "surfing YouTube" for South African Gospel songs, and particularly songs by Joyous Celebration whose videos I usually love. I also love the fact that commenters in those videos' discussion threads usually respond multiple times to requests for the original lyrics for these songs and their English translation.

When I read the English translation for this song, I was surprised to see examples of "Where my people at?" questions. Given that this song was performed in 2012, the fact that this South African Gospel song included those questions had nothing what so ever to do with a somewhat obscure American television series about drag queens.

I wonder how common "Where my people at?" questions are in South Africa and in other African nations. Also, are "Where my people at?" questions common in the Caribbean and in other parts of the Black African Diaspora?

****
This concludes Part I of this two Part series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment