Translate

Friday, October 11, 2019

Swedish/Gambian Singer Seinabo Sey - "I Owe You Nothing" (information, lyrics, video, & comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post presents information about the Swedish/Gambian singer Seinabo Sey and showcases a video of her 2018 song "I Owe You Nothing".

Selected comments from this video's discussion thread are included in this post. I'm particularly interested in documented some examples in this discussion thread of "queen" as a referent for Black women or "queen" as a referent for a particular Black woman.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Seinabo Sey and thanks to all those who are associated with this song and this video. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT SEINABO SEY
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinabo_Sey
"Seinabo Sey (born 7 October 1990) is a Swedish singer best known for her international hit song "Younger".

Early life
Seinabo Sey was born in Södermalm, Stockholm,[2] on 7 October 1990. She is of both Swedish and Gambian ancestry.[3] She moved to Halmstad, Sweden, at the age of eight, and attended Östergårdsskolans music program for musically gifted teenagers.[4]

Sey was inspired musically by artists such as Alicia Keys and Beyoncé early in life. She grew up in Halmstad, Sweden, surrounded by artistry and creativity. Her father Maudo Sey was a renowned musician in The Gambia and Senegal, West Africa. Her mother, Madeleine Sundqvist, is Swedish. Seinabo Sey has two siblings; a younger brother Maudo Sey jr and sister Seidato Sey, she is also half-sister to the artist Fatima Bramme-Sey[5] and the radio host Amie Bramme Sey. In an interview, Sey recalled being nine years old and watching MTV, which led her to become obsessed with music and singing. ... at the age of 16 she ended up ... moving to Stockholm to attend and later graduate from Fryshusets esthetics program with a concentration in soul music.[6]

[...]

Career
After Sey started working with producer Magnus Lidehäll she released her debut single "Younger", followed by "Hard Time" and "Pistols at Dawn".[11] The singles, which were described as soul pop, received much attention and accolades in Sweden and abroad.[12] Kygo, a Norwegian musician, remixed "Younger", releasing it in Norway and the United States. This version, known as "Younger (Kygo Remix)", peaked on the Norwegian VG-lista chart (for seven consecutive weeks) and on the US Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs. On 16 April 2015, "Younger" was featured on BBC Radio 1 as their Track of the Day.

In 2014, EDM duo Galantis used a sample of Sey's single "Hard Times" in a song that appears on their self-titled EP titled "Friends (Hard Times)".

Sey performed at the 2014 Swedish Grammy Awards and at Allsång på Skansen in Stockholm.[13][14] In October 2014, Seinabo Sey released the critically acclaimed EP For Madeleine, dedicated to and named after her mother.[15] The EP was produced by Magnus Lidehäll and written by, among others, Salem Al Fakir, Oscar Linnros and Vincent Pontare, along with Seinabo Sey herself. That same month, she performed at the Royal Dramatic Theatre in Stockholm.[16] She also performed at the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize concert.[17]

On March 30, 2015, Sey released her second EP, the four-track For Maudo, dedicated to and named after her father, Maudo Sey [sv]. Repeating the success of For Madeleine, the EP received favorable reviews and widespread critical acclaim in Sweden and abroad....

On October 23, 2015, Sey released her first album, called Pretend. The album contains 16 tracks, including "Younger" and "Hard Time".[24] In November 2016, the album's titular track "Pretend" was the featured music in the season 6 Girls trailer.[25]

Also in 2015, parts of her 2014 song, "Hard Time", was utilized as theme song for Swedish murder-mystery TV series, 100 Code (Hundred Code). The show screened in Germany and then spread to other countries; it is now on rerun on cable in the United States and elsewhere."...

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO & LYRICS - Seinabo Sey - I Owe You Nothing



Seinabo Sey, Mar 15, 2018

[...]

[from] Seinabo Sey's debut album Pretend...

[...]

Lyrics

I be myself I aint frontin na na nah
I owe you nothing
I be myself I aint frontin na na nah

I don't have to smile for you
I don't have to move or you
I don't have to dance monkey dance monkey dance for you
See I wont help you understand
I don't need no helping hand

These aren't tears this is the ocean
These aren't fears this is devotion

I owe you nothing
I be myself I aint frontin na na nah
I owe you nothing
I be myself I aint frontin na na nah

I don't have to walk for you
I don't have to talk to you
See I’m not on display, never was, never will ever be for you

I wont help you understand
I don't need no helping hand

These aren't tears this is the ocean
These aren't fears this is devotion

Why you always have to try me?
Thinking I'm gon follow blindly saying oh let me down easy, baby let me drown easy

Music video by Seinabo Sey performing I Owe You Nothing. © 2018 Saraba AB
-snip-
Statistics as of October 11, 2019 at 5:06 PM
total # of views - 4,196,848
total # of likes - 146K
total # of dislikes- 1.3K
total # of comments - 1,644

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD
(with numbers added for referencing purposes only

2018
1. Shay Zeigler
"Wow. I've never heard of this artist. But she's got a new fan. Both this song and video are awesome!"

**
2. inthetearoom
"i feel like this song can be about a lot of things, not just toward whites, but also toward perhaps men who percieve or expect certain things of women and specifically black women. it seems to be toward anyone who expects to put the narrator in a box, oppress them, or otherwise have unwarranted expectations."

**
REPLY
3. Ky Q
"My first time listening and I thought it was a message for men lol #feminism"

**
REPLY
4. Righteous Ree
"Yep. That's what I was thinking."

**
REPLY
5. Audrianna Moore, 2019
"could be about the industry too"

**
REPLY
6. Ms Hill, 2019
"I guess i never thought about it pertaining to whites. I thought it was the pressure to conform to society in general."

**
REPLY
7. Lincorn1, 2019
"I thought this was towards men. hm"

**
REPLY
8. Elina Oliferovskiy, 2019
"That's what I thought, that it was about how some men tend to treat women. Especially the "I don't have to smile for you" line, since there are men out there who so often try to tell a girl to smile while doing nothing that could potentially cause that smile."

**
REPLY
9. Menchu Hotep, 2019
"@James Love-Vani yall keep saying men, shes surrounded by a group.of black men in the video,doesnt make sense. Shes clearly speaking on the way dark skin ed people have to act daily to make white people comfortable, I DONT HAVE TO DANCE MONKEY DNACE FOR YOU"

**
10. Rydell
"These are one of those bops you sway to, as your cussing out your invisible boo in the mirror. Love this lol"

**
REPLY
11. LEGSUDESIRE, 2019
"You said it all...and singing it like you wrote it and Meant it!!!!!"

**
12. Infullbloom Time
"Yes one of the voices of black culture!! We hear you black magic✨✨ we been here and just as phenomenal don't owe anyone an explanation for our existence"

**
13. Toren Barnes
"Yoooo this is flames"

**
14. lgkichana
"She really hit the nail on the head! Beautiful brown faces, wonderful message with just the right twist of attitude. Yes! Just what I needed as a female struggling in a male dominated society full of racism and oppression against brown and black folks in our nations. Big up..keep it strong...powered in our understanding and faith."

**
15. Grace Smith
"Am i the only one who heard "As-Salamu alaykum" and "nakala". And i saw the BJL number plate? This is definitely Gambia ❤"

**
16. Micaela Hatikva
"She's Gambian descendant. Father Maudo Sey,Singer(in memorian)."

**
17. SmilEEE 333
"Lovely just straight up lovely"

**
18. Write Share Love
"No frontin! 😎🙏😘"

**
19. Jessica Jac
"0:29 the melanin magic thoooo"

**
20. Naturally Dope
"This is a definitely dope ass song love it love it! My kind of music I should send this to my ex but I don't feel like being petty Crocker"

**
21. Journey Within Tarot - The Refuge
"OMG! This song is so POWERFUL. My new anthem. Thank you my sista"

**
22. Big Mill Ruffin
"Whoa! This is a hit. Straight Banger!"

**
23. Jerri Blank
"she's wearing a neneh cherry t-shirt!!! love artists respecting artists who came before them"

**
24. Jelea Peed
"I love this. This is exactly how I feel about the shallowness of my American culture and how we place women's beauty and polite mild mannered ways of being, above strength, intelligence and courage. "I owe you nothing"."

**
25. Queen Raji
"Queen.. .... .Where's the repeat button🔥"

**
26. AquadiLuisa
"BlackGirlMagic! We highly melanated!!"

**
27. Ilah X
"im going through a time in my life where im facing a tooooonnn of colorism. so to see a band of all shades of black singing about the same thing makes it really lovely :)))"

**
28. Nyalah B.
"This song is literally speaking to me. My whole vibe for 2018 since January. And I wanna scream this to the skyyyyy! I owe you nothingggg I am myself and I ain’t fronting for nobodyyyyy!"

**
29. Latanya Hall
"Love the fashion in this video!!!!!"

**
30. pabloplato
"RAW LIKE SUSHI shirt! Respect! :D"

**
31. Khaiah Mann
"Youtube recommendation list was on point today 👌❤❤"

**
32. kxlxh
"i saw the thumbnail and knew i was about to like this song. shes got some beautiful, old school, Lauryn Hill type vibes boy, i'm digging it"

**
33. Shekinah P
"The cinematography on this video is beautiful. I stumbled on this and I love it!"

**
34. Anthony Coyne
"Amazing.
So many amazing singers and producers working together now.
The world is awakening and the power of love is being transmitted through song and music.
🙂💜✨"

**
35. Sharon Iweajunwa
"THE CULTURE IN THIS VIDEO"

**
36. avery
"yo the ENERGY in this 🔥🙌🏾"

**
REPLY
37. Beautiful Soul, 2019
"Omg..3:05 just sends me off the roof!"

**
38. Paloma Real
"THANK YOU LORD! FOR BRINGING THIS BEAUTIFUL GURL DOWN TO EARTH! YOU ARE ON FIRE! LOVE THIS!"

**
39. Luiza Maia
"This songs speaks so deeply to my heart I cannot stop listening. That’s the kind of strong message we need to have these days. BEAUTIFUL ❤️"

**
40. SIC BEATS
"This one of the illest grooves I heard in a long time... dope voice, dope beat, dope lyrics, dope visuals. Well done!! #salute #Queen"

**
41. Missy Miss
"Untouchable beauty YES BEAUTIFUL & FIERCE you are what we need more of thank you!!!"

**
42. Jasmine Bailey
"Soooo badass. Beautiful, powerful queen"

**
43. Gem Floral
"I loooooooveeee this. Everything. The outfits, the melanin, the vocals, visuals. ❤"

**
44. winnie Chris
"Rocking my braids strutting down the streets of London like “I OWE YOU NOTHIN!”"

**
45. Miss Golden
"Senegambia Girls rocking 🙏🏾😍😍🙏🏾 🇸🇳 🇸🇳 🇬🇲 🇬🇲"

**
46. Ml Beck King Beck
"Gambian are proud of you keep going on 🔥🔥🔥🔥💖👈"

**
47. maity maity
"I will luv 2 see one day you and Sona jorbateh on one track"

**
48. Zenovia V
"I've had it on replay a bunch..i just can't get over it's beauty and strength. The music fills me up!"

**
49. Chasity Polk
"This goes so HARD! Her voice is smooth like butta! 😍"

**
50. Mirko Vukoslavovic
"STOP EVERYTHING NEW QUEEN


I OWE U NOTHING"

**
51. Obii
"Ok ladies now let's get in Seynation!
Well done"
Shalọm 🌻

**
52. Virginia Njeri
"Wow what an amazing talent! #SeinaboSey is such an eclectic, & captivating artist! She had me hooked when she popped👌 her collar @0:33 and then she breaks out into opera singing...dripping confidence👑😍 absolutely lovely! She better come to L.A. I have to see her in concert!"

**
53. J Sco
"everything about this is fire"

**
54. por qué
"The angles and camera work.. This is definitely on a another level. 🔥🔥💯"

**
REPLY
55. Let Hernandez
"The message 💪💪💪"

**
56. billy dah bong
"Amazing voice, but the message.. that message that only a confident artist could send to the society.. "i owe you nothing" 😎✌"

**
57. Ebou Toure
"Gambia🇬🇲🇬🇲 up up"

**
58. Brownie8986
"I see the 49 dislikes on this video just clicked on this to brag about their poor taste in music. FOH. 🎵These ain't tears, this is the ocean, these aren't fears this is devotion🎵❤💖❤"

**
REPLY
59. taburz blism
"very intimidating song, not really friendly at all. To be honest i was expecting much better, the origenal version of this song by "bros" was much better than this remake! if you have not yet listened to "bros - i owe you nothing" then you're missing out on a classic hit!"

**
REPLY
60. Brownie8986
"taburz blism I wouldn't call this remake simply because it's a song of the same name. There's so many songs called "I love you" but they're not remixes or renditions of each other. So you're free to think what you like but that's not my perspective. BUT yes, without saying how old I was back in 88, I have heard the song you mentioned ☺"

**
REPLY
61. taburz blism
"Brownie8986 just wanted to bait people into listening to a much better song thats all :D you caught me. Both illuminati infested with esoteric symbolism, but atleast 80s stuff was a bit more lively and upbeat XD. Thanks for the reply. on my way"

**
REPLY
62. taburz blism
"JZEBELLE the message in the origenal song is MUCH BETTER, its practically the same message, except its the guy singing vs the man/the system and wealth. watch more than halfway through it and see guy's in suits chasing him. infact listen to the whole song before coming here and judging me"

**
REPLY
63. Nadim Melhem Neto
"bros i owe you nothing.. I want to die.... Seinabo queen.... loved it ....... viva I want to hear this song all the time"

****
2019
64. Darren Castleton
"Future classic right here! Tune."

**
65. bubblesbaby37
"This just shook my soul..."

**
66. Sunbelle Jerkins
"To all my haters and badmind people."

**
67. Genesys H
"🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥"

**
68. Yeka B
"I see you and I feel you. Bravo queen!👏👏👏👏👏"

**
69. God Body: Fitness & Wellness Lifestyle
"I like this joint.... HARD!"

**
70. kreole Lady
"#BLACK GIRL MAGIC, I OWE YOU NUTHIN, SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS!!!"

**
71. Kam Kha
"Powerful post-colonial message"

**
72. Auntie Dee's Organized Randomness
"She is reminiscent of R&B/Jazz singer/song writer/ actress Phylis Hyman. Very soulful, deep, and rich voice. The whole aesthetic of the video is wonderful . Tying the spinning ceiling fan into the music."
-snip-
A number of commenters wrote that Seinabo Sey reminded them of Lauyrn Hill. Other singers Seinabo Sey reminded some commenters of were Nina Simone, Amy Winehouse, Nancy Wilson, Solange, Jill Scott, and Marsha Ambrosius.

**
73. stellar alien
"Being lost on youtube is the best thing, finding underrated artists with such deep and powerful messages is my favorite pastime. 😍😍 This is so beautiful."

**
74. We live for likea
"Usually these recommended videos be trying me but I'm glad it didn't cause this is a gem."

**
75. Kadiann Walker
"okkkk...this is exactly how i was feeling today dope track!"

**
76. Lola Pradel
"this song is everything!!!"

**
77. melody lovelife
"I'm not chocolate but I'm melanated but the chocolate beauties complimented I. This video respect strong and beautiful"

**
78. Key 90
"These lyrics and that melody tho. 🔥🔥"

**
79. Sandra Davis
"i was interested in why she wrote it - i am into ethical source recycle fashion - so i think mm is she making statement about cheap labour sweat shops - but she says nope, she was asked to write something quickly so she did - it was just about her mood that day"

**
80. Ash B
"The theme song for walking into corporate America mon-Friday . Literally."

**
81. Nadroj Anwar
"Not sure how I feel about this video. I kinda feel the same way I did watching Beyonce's superbowl performance. A mixed/biracial/racially ambiguous person surrounding themselves with Black folks to both set themselves a part while also establishing themselves as the leader or at least the voice for Black folks; colorism, texturism, and who knows whatever other terms will come."

**
REPLY
82. Automatic
"That’s not what this is."

**
83. FleurChantes PrettySoliel
"That beauty in the pink lace tho'....a model...gorg!!!"

**
84. Beautiful Soul
"Strong Black and Powerful Faces"

**
85. De Otio
"Thank you for proudly serving afro kinky hair to them."

**
86. Jeanette Truppner
"This song is FIRE!! N it came right on time. Lifted me up today. Made remember not to loose myself!!"

**
87. Ls MY
"You heard the salam alaikum? Respect sey!!"

**
88. Danielle Black
"This is a masterpiece 💚"

**
89. calisouthqueen
"First time I heard this was maybe a couple months ago. It was cute. Didn't think much of if. Never sought it out........
But TODAY!!!!!
I think my spirit craved this song because it took me all day to remember the song to search for it, and it's been on repeat ever since! I guess sometimes you need to be ready for a song like this. It finally clicked! And I'm loving it!"

**
90. Justin Wilson
"love love love this song, lyrics, video, this vibe..."

**
91. Peanut81
"this beat slaps! gets me all pumped
🔮🕯🌞🕯🌙🕯✨🕯🧕🏼💞"

**
92. Estha McNevin
"The amazing art of African Fashion and Female empowerment unite in this genuine genuine genius because there is such substance and deep lesions for the world about human potential and the radical action of self esteem to willfully, peacefully resist objectification. I love the samples from the factory floor and the beautiful style matched to perfect lyrics. Sooo powerful!"

**
93. Brown Sugar
"Deserves more recognition 👏🏽"

**
94. geisiel cesar
"This is an amazing song, her voice. Love the video the blackness is beautiful"

**
95. elly
"Full of empowerment 👏🏾👏🏾💕"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment