Translate

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

(Nigerian Singer) Darey, featuring The Soweto Gospel Choir - "Pray For Me (Gbàdúrà Fuń Mi)", video, lyrics, & comments

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a Gospel song collaboration between a Yoruba Nigerian singer and South Africa's Soweto Gospel Choir.

The discussion thread of this official YouTube video is filled with testimonials similar to the story line of the video (a poor young man leaves home to seek his fortune in the big city). This post features a few of those comments as well as a few additional comments from that discussion thread about the song and its performance by Darey and Soweto Gospel Choir.

The content of this post is presented for religious, inspirational, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Darey, members of Soweto Gospel Choir, and all those who are associated with this song and this video.

I pray that the xenophobic attacks that are occurring in Johannesburg, South Africa against Nigerians and other foreigners will cease. Click https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/failed-decolonisation-south-african-cities-leads-violence-190910123546431.html for a September 10, 2019 article entitled "Failed decolonisation in South African cities leads to violence" and subtitled "Violence against foreigners has much to do with South Africa's failure to address the urban legacy of apartheid."

****
LYRICS: "PRAY FOR ME (Gbàdúrà Fuń Mi)"

Woke up one Sunday morning
Told my daddy “I’m leaving home
I’m going off to the city tomorrow
Even though I don’t know where to go”
Daddy said “Son, don’t be a fool!
‘Cause life in the city is unbelievable
You could get broken, Oh, you’re just a little boy!
And you may never find your way”
And I said “I know I could get lost, I know I could get broken
forgive me father but I’ve got to take a chance
Oh I’m already gone so just

Pray for me, (Gbàdúrà Fuń Mi) — same translation
Pray I find my way, k’ori bamise (that I may have good fate)
Oh! forgive me father, but I got to take a chance
Oh I’m already gone so just, pray for me (Repeat)

“Hello daddy, how’re you doing?
Hope mama’s doing OK
It’s been four years and eleven months now
Mo gbo pe Adukpe ti dagba (I heard Adukpe has grown up)
Olorun (By God), it was true what you said to me
That life in the city is unbelievable
Had to struggle just to get by everyday
And I could barely find my way
Sugbon, mo mope mo le sina, o da mi loju
(But, I know I can get lost, I am sure of this)
Mo ri pe aiye le, aiye yi soro
(I can see the world, it is a difficult world)
Forgive me father, but I’ve got to take a chance
Oh I’m already gone so just

(Refrain)

Repeat: Pray for me
Bori ba dolola lola O (Oh, If fate becomes a wealthy man tomorrow)
Emi ma de be O (I shall get there)
Gbadura ki n serere O (Pray that I may become successful)
Oh I’m already gone so just
Pray for me x2
K’ori bamise (I hope I have a good fate)
Oh I’m already gone so just
Pray for me
-snip-
"Languages: English, Yoruba)"

Online source - https://africangospellyrics.com/2018/06/23/pray-for-me-gbadura-fun-mi-lyrics-by-darey-ft-soweto-gospel-choir/

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Darey - Pray For Me ft. Soweto Gospel Choir [Official Video]



DareyOnline, Published on May 12, 2016

Pray For Me” tells a powerful, positive story of victory against all odds.
-snip-
Statistics as of September 10, 1019 at 6:23 PM
total # of views - 3,630,944
total # of likes -39K
total number of dislikes -798
total # of comments- 2,723

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THE DISCUSSION THREAD OF THIS VIDEO
(with numbers added for referencing purposes only)

2016
1. Oladimeji Adeyanju
"Please who agrees this is one of the best music videos in Naija in a long time."

**
REPLY
2. Ugonne Ann Okonkwo
"+Oladimeji Adeyanju ....i soooooo agree!!"

**
REPLY
3. Racheal Adesegun
"me too!"

**
REPLY
4. Damex Mrcoded
"not even only the best video, also the best lyrics so far, meaningful piece of music, kudus"

**
REPLY
5. Prevailer Mba
"I agree....this is the type of song we need today...meaningful songs"

**
6. Olubunmi Adewumi
"Weeping may endure but for a night but joy will surely come in the morning............."

**
7. Edinyanga Enang
"Great song. A couple of people asked what it means or it should have ended with him being successful. well let me explain, when he was leaving home his father did not want him to leave and when he would not listen he told him you are on your own. Getting to the city things turned out difficult and he realized he indeed had hurt his father and needed his blessings for things to turn around for him. so when his father got the letter and lifted his hands to heaven to pray then the heavens where open and things began to breakforth, the flowers blossomed and the earth gave increase an indication of a new dawn for His son"

**
REPLY
8. Racheal Oshioke
"thanks so much now I understand clearly"

**
REPLY
9. Temitope Aina, 2017
"Edinyanga Enang , well I agree with you but towards the end his outfits proved he's being successful compared to the beginning..."

**
REPLY
10. Oyinlola Oladipo
"Wondering if he hasnt actually been praying for his son for four years #thinkingaloud"

**
REPLY
11. bolima tafah, 2018
"Edinyanga Enang meaning the son became successful. The flowers blossom meaning, his break through had come a d things began to go well for him..."

**
12. Esperance Uwimana
"is anyone going to comment on how amazing Soweto gospel choir looks and sounds. they definitely added to this song"

**
13. Dan The McCoy
"So good. But largely ignored cos no lurid lyrics and booty shaking."

**
REPLY
14. Oluwatosin Ayeni
"+Daniel Attoe The sad reality of our generation. We ignore substance."

**
REPLY
15. Olubunmi Adewumi
"You can say that again."

**
REPLY
16. Annie Special, 2017
"blatant truth"

**
REPLY
17. Ola Uthman, 2017
"Daniel Attoe Nigerians for you"

**
REPLY
18. ARINZECHUKWU OBI, 2017
"Ola Uthman actually that's the world"

****
2017
19. Sam Adebayo
"I lost my father when I was 5, I lost my mother when I was 21, I graduated from University and I was in Lagos for 3years, no job, no food, no place to stay. I sleep wherever the night catches me, Life was tough and I almost lost it, I hated my existence, I question God everyday.... I cried under blanket all night when no one sees me. Just when I said to myself am done with it all, this awesome God stepped in.... (hmmmmm...Sobssss!). I got a job I never had in mind, he turned my life around, today I am married to a lovely woman with 3 wonderful children, all living in America. Dare, did you see my life journey to make this song? please tell me... bcos right now I can't explain how it all happened, perhaps God himself prayed for me. (Sobsss!) God bless you for this piece, this is my life!"

**
REPLY
20. Emmanuel Boakye
"Sam Adebayo Wow Boss. It's like I am going through what you went through. Please pray for me. I am a student in a foreign country. Financial help has ceased. I can no longer work. I know God will answer my Prayer through you"

**
REPLY
21. Clifford Essiaw
"God still works... Inspiring story"

**
REPLY
22. Kingsley Igbinidu
"O Lord please pray for me am here in Italy I so much believe that one very day am going to make it AMEN"

**
REPLY
23. Rosemary Okpechi
"Sam Adebayo -it's well dear.God neva depart 4rm his people.be strng dear"

**
REPLY
24. IRON LADY B, 2018
"Sam Adebayo wooow sooo inspiring!! i have cried myself to sleep many times but now i have dropped il all at Gods feet"

**
25. Omotola Victor
"Only people who are away from home will cherish this song as much as i do, and feel it deep down.
It's so touching.....God bless our everyday Hustle#"

**
REPLY
26. Anyama Henrrietta
"Omotola Victor Amen 😢"

**
REPLY
27. Chris Oghenetega Maloney, 2018
"Amenooooo 👏👏👏👍👍👍"

**
28. tumi khumalo
"Reminds me of the day I left home as a young new graduate moving to a foreign country on my own! I had decided, I am an African and Africa is my home, wherever I'm going i'll find fellow Africans, and so I did! 20 years later, I've got a beautiful wife, two cute little boys and God has been great! Darey I've always said is a powerful singer from his days at Idols! Gifted son of Africa, singing with my favourite Soweto gospel Choir, with my favourite African actor playing his 'dad' in the vid! I am now even more in love in Nigeria...Africa is my home, and long shall Darey live and keep inspiring us! We are indeed a blessed people regardless of what we've been through, time to rise Africa!"

**
29. Ngeghe Abbas shipu
"hmmmmmmm i wept at a dark end when I listened​ to this sound track, I am a Muslim, but I like this sound so much because it brings out a reality of what most of us have gone through or are still going through, I first listened to this sound some 6months ago at a point in time when I just left my love ones to venture for a life changing situation in my life. This sound really gave me hope and up till today I still love this sound track.Thanks very much​ Darey."

**
30. Queenie's thoughts
"This song gets me so emotional. Many years in the desert in search for greener pastures. My beautiful family and friends i miss alot. Mom and Dad pray for me. I will make it out alive."

**
31. Esther Imenza Imbiaka
"When I watch this its reminds me when I was leaving ma country .I wept I really cried leaving ur own country to be a foreigner in another country in the name of just trying one day ends to meet in life. To ma mum Dad and ma friends pray for me that I make it."

**
REPLY
32. matachi nwosu
"You will make it dear. God and His host of Angels are on your side. Be strong."

**
REPLY
33. Ololade Awosika
"I found this song today and i cried. i cried because i miss my family back in Nigeria and i know the struggle i face here as a foreigner. i experienced a racial slur for the first time in my life and i was soooo shocked. i cried because my father sends me prayers on whats-app every morning and i will never take it for granted. i pray one day we will all make our parents proud as we are faraway from them. God bless Darey for this song."

**
34. Zoannie Nero
"Wow.just hearing this song...Instance love! All the way from the Caribbean Island- St.Vincent and the Grenadines"

**
35. Beryl Milando
"Working and living away from home is so painful, the sacrifice we make the challenges we encounter just to make it in life, it's a great message #prayer is what we all need"

**
36. Olajuwon Kosoko
"This is not just a music video, it's a movie!!! 🔥🔥
Spoke to me on another level 😪😪"

**
REPLY
37. Susan Onyenadum
"Kosoko Olajuwon facts"

**
38. Amaka Perpetual
"@darey... If music was defined as painting, you would be Nigeria's own Leonardo davinci... with you music is truly an art... 😍"

**
39. Jesus Saves
"I found this song when I'm struggling with my life.. I'm city boy. from the capital city of Africa: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. wow God bless you... #prayforme"

****
2018
40. Victor Ordu
"Amazing video, amazing storyline! This song underscores the importance of a father's blessing in a young person's life. Brilliant!"

**
41. JaneZza Alves Mt
"Never get tired of this music, it turned my anthem since I moved out to Europe, all I left behind is home, I'm an Angolan I'm African and only few ppl will b touched by this music, only those ones who has similar story will understand better💔. #Africaismyhome thanks Darey"

**
42. Oloye Sky
"That moment btwn 3.52- 4.07 when the tears rolled down the Fathers eyes... Heaven Moved. 3yrs ago, I left my Family Mum, Son Wife, sisters and frnd, Travelled tru the desert, Tru Libya Spent days and terrible and life threatening moments in a small boat on the Mediterranean Sea and now finally to Germany. Life is easier now, but Oh LORD LOOK UPON MY MOTHERS TEARS, LET HEAVEN MOVE FOR MY SAKE AND OTHER BROTHERS IN THIS HUSTLE, LET OUR FATHERS AND MOTHERS PRAYER TOUCH YOUR HEART GOD and give us that BIG BREAKTHROUGH we are dreaming for..... Because MY MOTHER HAS PRAYED FOR ME "

#AMEN #AMEN

**
43. steve moses
"Wherever we are whatever we do, someone is praying for us! Even if there's no one, God himself prays for us as heavenly father! Very soulful evergreen song"

**
44. Major Uzochi
"Am away from home somewhere in S.A and I'll say the message of this song has really ocean my heart with pain, love and an encouraging believe that am not alone.

Godbless you Dare!

Your day1fan
MajorUzochi."

**
45. Natasha Nasha
"I can't stop listening❤ all the way from Namibia"

**
46. miss mash
"This collaboration was amazing and powerful, i love the merge of both cultures,, powerful msg"

**
47. Paulette Reed
"This song is so heartfelt as parents we must pray for our children and children seek your parents blessings. Darey thanks for this masterpiece i love it and we here in America love you."

****
2019
48. SHARON KADIR
"This makes me cry. I miss home. Love from India ❤"

**
49. trishkenzys m
"I'm so much in love with this song, i play it all the time! Specially at nite when it's quite and alone 'coz always makes me miss my late parents😢😢😢😢 from GHANA"

**
50. kassoum dembele
"i'am muslim but i like verry much your energy bro from abidjan .salam for you good light"

**
51. ONE LOVE
"I was like No I’m not going to cry it’s just a video.. ah, when the dad opened his hands to pray for his son oh my lord I couldn’t control the tears no mo 😢😢 the song is a big deal"

**
52. Doshia Marcus
"Am in Vietnam,my mum's life savings and retirement fund was used to fund me am crying right now. I can't come this far to fail."

**
REPLY
53. Geraldo Credo
"Doshia Marcus am in Cambodia bro"

**
54. Christian Otakholo
"Whenever I play this song I always remember 2014 when I home to Libya without mom knowing about it, she finally found out when I called her and she was left with tears because she couldn't lay her hands on me for prayers but she said my prayers will always be with you. I love you mom your prayers kept me going"

**
55. Christian Otakholo
"Whenever I play this song I always remember 2014 when I home to Libya without mom knowing about it, she finally found out when I called her and she was left with tears because she couldn't lay her hands on me for prayers but she said my prayers will always be with you. I love you mom your prayers kept me going"

**
56. Jasmine D
"This song is my life story.. i thought the grass was greener on the other side.. life in Malaysia has been hell..things getting tougher everyday 😢😢😢 please pray for me to pull through"

**
57. kenneth Obazuaye
"who is still watching this soul touching song in 2019?


Darey, thanks for this piece once more cos it encourages us and builds our confidence in the decision we have made to leave our comfort zone to aim for greater heights"

**
58. abayomi samuel enitan
"who else is watching after the killing in south africa, God will us all in diaspora. keep d faith yall, greetings frm USA"

**
59. TBS _SA
"Big up to our own Soweto Gospel Choir 4 recieving 3rd grammy award"

**
60. Etoatim Benyue
"I paused the song to glance through the comments first but do u know I cried so hard by just reading the comments I'm even scared of watching the video my eyes can fall off😥😥"

**
61. Morel Gruche Mongo
"I DONT HAVE THE MASTER OF ENGLISH LIKE ENGLISH PEOPLE BUT THIS SONG IT GOT TO SUM UP MY STORY SINCE 1993...QUE LA MISERICORDE DE DIEU ET SON AMOUR POUR LES FAIBLES
-snip-
Google Translate from French to English: "THE MERCY OF GOD AND HIS LOVE FOR WEAKNESSES"

**
62. Kenneth haki
"Tomorrow is always in God's hands, there are things which always happen to us without our control or planning, let's always pray for our brothers and sisters in need ..The living God will always take control"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment