Translate

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Six Renditions Of "Oh Lord, I Want You To Help Me" (performed with musical instrument accompaniment)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a three part pancocojams series on the song "[Oh] Lord I Want You To Help Me".

Part II showcases six YouTube examples of the Gospel song "Lord I Want You To Help Me" that are accompanied by musical instruments. Part II also includes lyrics for three versions of "Oh Lord I Want You To Help Me" that are featured in this post.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/03/three-accapella-renditions-of-song-oh.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. Part I showcases three accapella renditions of "Oh Lord I Want You To Help Me". Part I also includes lyrics for one version of this song that is featured in that post.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/03/african-american-choir-wearing-west.html for Part III of this pancocojams series. Part III showcases a rendition of "Lord I Want You To Help Me" by the Classical Roots Community Mass Choir, Pastor Marvin Winans and Carolyn O’Bryant as well as the Cincinnati [Ohio] Symphony Orchestra. Special attention is given in this post to the multiple colors and designs of kente cloth stoles that choir members wear over their robes. The Addendum to that post presents some information about Ghana's and The Ivory Coast's (West Africa) kente cloth fabrics.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composer/s of "Lord, I Want You To Help Me" and thanks to all those who are featured in these YouTube examples. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of these examples on YouTube.

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLES
Example #1: Dixie Hummingbirds - Help Me.wmv



BevYoYummy, Published on Mar 11, 2011

Live in Miami, Florida featuring: Ira Tucker, Sr., James Walker, Beachey Thompson, Paul Owens and Howard Carroll
-snip-
If you know when this was first recorded, please share that information in the comment section below. Thanks!

LYRICS: HELP ME (OH LORD, I WANT YOU TO HELP ME) as sung by The Dixie Hummingbirds
HELP ME [Dixie Hummingbirds version]

Lord, Lord, Lord I want you to
Help me
Lord, Lord, Lord I want you to
Help me
Help me on my journey
Help me on my way
Please Lord, I want You to help me

You're the only friend I have I want You to
Help me
I can't make it without You, Jesus
Help me
Help me on my journey
Help me on my way
Please Lord, I want You to help me

My body is weak
My faith is strong
I will keep on leaning on Your everlasting arms
I'm calling on You ‘cause I need Your help
I cannot make it by myself

Help me, O help me Lord
Help me, O help me Lord
Help me, O help me Lord
Help me, O help me Lord

O Lord, I want You
O Lord, Please! Please! Please! Please!

Lord, I want You to help me
(repeat as the spirit leads)

Source: https://www.paroles-musique.com/eng/The_Dixie_Hummingbirds-Lord_I_Want_You_to_Help_Me-lyrics,p0596542
-snip-
A better sound quality of The Dixie Hummingbirds singing this song can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHIP7-KaP_Q. The summary to that sound file indicates that "This is track 8 from the 1976 "Live" album. Lead by Ira Tucker and James Walker."

****
Example #2: Rev. Robert Wilkins - O Lord I Want You To Help Me



TheBWJohnson, Published on Mar 27, 2012

"Takoma Blues"

photos: Aaron Siskind, Robert Frank, LOC

This song was here before. So, this is in memory...
Rev. Robert Wilkins was an African American Gospel Blues singer. His record album entitled "Rev. Robert Wilkins: Memphis Gospel Singer - The Original 1964 Recordings" sells for $495.00. https://www.amazon.com/Rev-Robert-Wilkins-Original-Recordings/dp/B00AEFJEF8#customerReviews. I believe that "O Lord I Want You To Help Me" is on that album.
-snip-
Lyrics: OH LORD, I WANT YOU TO HELP ME (as sung by Rev. Robert Wilkins)
Oh Lord, I want You to help me
Oh Lord, I want You to help me
Help me on my journey
Help me on my way
Oh Lord, I want You to help me

[repeat refrain 1x]

When I been down
I want You to help me
When I been down
I want you help me
Help me on my journey
Help me on my way
Oh Lord, I want You to help me

[refrain 1x]

guitar instrumental

My heart is heavy
I want You to help me
My heart is heavy
I want You to help me
Help me on my journey
Help me on my way
Oh Lord, I want You to help me

[refrain 1x]

[guitar instrumental]
-snip-
This is my transcription from this sound file. Additions and corrections are welcome.

****
Example #3: Lord I Want You To Help Me.MOV



Carla Wider, Published on Apr 19, 2012

Us doing devotion for the Men's Anniv.
-snip-
No identifying information is given for this music group. If you have any information about this group, please share it in the comment section below. Thanks!

****
Example #4: Oh, Lord, I Want You to Help Me



McIntosh County Shouters - Topic, Published on Nov 18, 2017

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard Enterprises

Oh, Lord, I Want You to Help Me · McIntosh County Shouters

Spirituals and Shout Songs from the Georgia Coast

℗ 2017 Smithsonian Folkways Recordings

Released on: 2017-01-20
-snip-
LYRICS: OH, LORD I WANT YOU TO HELP ME [as sung by the McInTosh County Shouters]
Oh Lord, I want You to help me.
Oh Lord, I want You to help me.
(Well) Help me on my journey
(Well) Help me on my way.
(Ah ha) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.

(Ah Ha) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.
(Oh Lord!) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.
(Well / Yes) Help me on my journey
(Well) Help me on my way.
(Ah ha) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.

While I'm down here singin
I want You to help me
Oh Lord, While I down here singin
I want You to help me
(Yeah) Help me on my journey
(Well) Help me on my way.
(Ah ha) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.

(Ah Ha) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.
(Oh Lord!) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.
(Oh! Help me on my journey
(Ah Ha!) Help me on my way.
(Ah ha) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.

While I'm down here shoutin
I want You to help me
(Yes Lordy), While I down here shoutin
I want You to help me
(Yeah) Help me on my journey
(Well) Help me on my way.
(Ah ha) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.

While I'm down here prayin...

While I'm down here workin...

(Ah Ha) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.
(Oh Lord!) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.
(Oh! Help me on my journey
(Ah Ha!) Help me on my way.
(Ah ha) Oh Lord, I want You to help me.
-snip-
Transcription by Azizi Powell from that sound file. This isn't an exact transcription of that file.

In addition to a tambourine, the other "musical instrument" that is heard in the McInTosh County Shouter's sound file of "Oh Lord I Want You To Help Me" is a stick that is rhythmically hit on the ground.

Here's information about the McInTosh County Shouters
"The McIntosh County Shouters is a ten-member Gullah-Geechee group that began performing professionally in 1980. They have educated and entertained audiences around the United States with the "ring shout," a compelling fusion of counterclockwise dance-like movement, call-and-response singing, and percussion consisting of hand claps and a stick beating the rhythm on a wooden floor. African in its origins, the ring shout affirms oneness with the Spirit and ancestors as well as community cohesiveness. The ring shout was first described in detail during the Civil War by outside observers in coastal regions of South Carolina and Georgia. Its practice continued well into the 20th Century, even as its influence was resounding in later forms like spiritual, jubilee, gospel and jazz. By the late 20th century, the ring shout itself was presumed to have died out until its rediscovery in McIntosh County in 1980; thus, the beginning of the McIntosh County Shouters."
[video summary "McIntosh County Shouters: Gullah-Geechee Ring Shout from Georgia".]
-snip-
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2016/03/georgia-sea-isle-ring-shouts-daniel-and.html for a pancocojams post that includes a video of this group doing several ring shouts. [The performance of the ring shout "Move Daniel" is at 19.19 - 21.13 of that video.]

****
Example #5: Lord Lord Lord I want you to help me



Herb Mac, Published on Feb 21, 2016

The Gospel Spiritual-ettes New Zion, SC [South Carolina]

****
Example #6: Shirley Caesar (1975) "Oh Lord I Want You To Help Me"



Gospel Jukebox, Published on Feb 20, 2019

Shirley Caesar
“Oh Lord I Want You To Help Me” from the album No Charge
Hob Records 1975

****
This concludes Part II of this three part pancocojams post.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment