Translate

Monday, March 4, 2019

Showcasing Three Love Poems & One Love Song From The Black Theater Production "When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Skate"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a three part pancocojams series on the 1979 award winning theater production "When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Skate".

Part II showcases three love poems from "When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Skate"; "Benign Neglect", "I Thought You knew", and "It's time". Part II also showcases the song "You Get Into Me With Your Touch" which is performed immediately after that third poem.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/03/information-about-youtube-video-of-1979.html for Part I of this pancocojams series. Part I presents information about this theater production and includes the full YouTube video of this play.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/03/video-of-lyrics-for-song-when-hell.html for Part III of this post. Part III showcases the song "When Hell Freezes over I'll Skate" from the play with that name. The lyrics for that song are included in this post along with my thoughts about what that title/idiom means.

Thanks to Vinnette Carroll, who conceived and directed "When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Skate" and thanks to all those who starred in that production or were associated with that production. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Skate (1979 Stage Play Drama)



TheeSymphony85'AliveAgain Channel, Published on May 17, 2018

This lively, spirit-lifting musical celebrates the sheer-joy----and----survival---of black music, song and poetry since the days of America's Civil War. With utter grace and ease, the gifted eight-member singing ensemble glides from gospel to disco and from slave quarter sermons to contemporary black poetry. Stars Tony winners Cleavant Derricks and Lynne Thigpen.

Starring: Cleavant Derricks, Lynne Thigpen, Clinton Derricks-Carroll,, Jeffrey Anderson-Gunter, Marilyn Winbush, Brenda Braxton, Lynne Clifton-Allen, Reginald VelJohnson. Directed by Vinnette Carrol & Emile Ardolino.
-snip-
This post focuses on 33:39-38:31 of this production.

****
WORDS AND LYRICS OF THESE SHOWCASE POEMS AND THIS SONG FROM "WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER, I''LL SKATE"

BENIGN NEGLECT
I’m really not ready to die of benign neglect.
But that’s what’s happening.
Living off what you did and what you used to.
Maybe the love boat is just too steady.
Maybe the sweet cake is over ready.
Maybe the hot chocolate is cooled instead.
Maybe the “need you” battery is running dead.
Whatever it is
I‘m really not ready to die of benign neglect.
So I’ll rock the boat,
cut the cake,
heat the chocolate,
recharge the battery
Or whatever it takes
to put some more life in our love
Some more move to our groove
some more nitty to our gritty
‘Cause I’m really too young
to be killed by passivity.
So I’ll harass and provoke
Needle and poke you
into a present tense of what it was
or a past tense of what it is ‘cause
the worse thing that I have ever felt
is this soft, slow death
by benign neglect.

****

I THOUGHT YOU KNEW
I thought you knew.

I thought my waking up
with You as my reason for wanting to awaken
was enough.

I thought you
Knew

Just knowin that you had my back
was what kept my front to movin in the right direction.
I thought my face, body, hands had already said it
And you read it and understood.
I thought I didn’t need “I love ya” taped to lips
or tattooed to my tongue for you to know
I thought you knew.
I thought you knew.
I
thought
You
Knew.

****
IT’S TIME
Some of my loneliest hours have been with you
But now I know what I have to do
I’m going to be all the women I can be
‘Cause it’s time for a new me.
It’s time for a new we.
“Cause it’s time.

****
JUST TOUCH ME
Sometimes I think that I’ve overgrown you
Maybe you’re just getting tired of me
There are moments I feel I’ve never known you
Perhaps it would be best if you’re set free.
But there’s a certain kind of feeling
that I get when we are near
And all our problems seem to disappear.

You just have to touch me
Put your hand on my shoulder
and all the pain is gone
All the sorrows we shared
don’t last for very long
Everything is new
Everything is you.
Darling, just touch me
And we find ourselves making love
the whole night through
If there really a heaven
it’s inside of you
You get into me with your touch
Yeah.
I say to myself why don’t we drop it.
Why can’t I get away from it all.
But it’s nothing I can do to stop it.
I keep runnin back each time you call.
And I know how much I love you.
And I pray that you love me.
And I realize you’re My priority.

You just have to touch me
And I’m like the snow that’s melting in the spring
Like someone in first base I’ve everything to gain
Everything is new
Everything is you.
Darling, just touch me
Brush your lips across my mouth
The feeling’s so sublime
Hold me tightly in your arms
And for the first time
You get into me with your touch
You get into me with your touch
You get into me
with your touch

-snip-
Additions and corrections are welcome.

****
This concludes Part II of this three part pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment