Translate

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Various Opinions From A Vlog Discussion Thread About White People Wearing Dashikis

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post documents selected comments from a YouTube discussion thread for a vlog (video blog) post by The Dadhe entitled "Should White People Wear Dashikis?"

The discussion can be extended to include the efficacy of any non-Black person wearing what is considered African garb (clothing/head gear).

My response to this question is given in the "Pancocojams Editor's Comment" section below the selected comments from the vlog.

The content of this post is presented for socio-cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to The Dadhe for this vlog post. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-yoruba-nigeria-origin-of-dashiki.html for a closely related pancocojams post entitled "The Yoruba (Nigeria) Origin Of The Dashiki (information & videos)."

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: CAN WHITE PEOPLE WEAR DASHIKIS? | BLACK PANTHER REVIEW|



The Dadhe, Published on Mar 12, 2018

[...]
-snip-
This pancocojams post focuses on the comments that The Dadhe made at 18:42 in this vlog: “What do you think about a white guy wearing a dashiki?”

****
SELECTED COMMENT FROM THIS VIDEO BLOG (VLOG)
These comments are given in relative chronological order based on their publishing date with the oldest comment given first (except for replies). Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

1. Karen Love, 2018
"I think that people should wear whatever makes them happy as long as it is not done to mock the culture of another. For example: wearing a dashiki as a Halloween costume would be offensive. Wearing it to an African movie or during the movie craze is perfectly fine. It would be great if it were an authentic African attire, purchased from an African crafter.πŸ™ƒ"

**
2. Eunice Apia, 2018
"Why do White people want to wear Dashikis? Why not wear clothes of their own culture to represent? They are representing someone else culture by wearing them. Doesn't make sense to me."

**
REPLY
3. The Dadhe, 2018
"Really appreciate you taking the time to comment, defo see your point. I wear one for 2 reasons, firstly I think visually they are beautiful and secondly there's definitely a pride associated with my wfes background and I want our kids to grow up knowing both sides of their heritage. Be interested to hear what you think, thanks again"
-snip-
The vlog publisher is a White man whose wife is a Black West African.

**
REPLY
4. Karen Love, 2018
"Eunice Apia
Do you wear only African attire Eunice? If not, why would you not allow someone else the same freedom that you enjoy? People should be able to wear whatever makes them happy (as long as they are not indecently exposed) or attempting to mock another culture.
Cultures are now intertwined. Besides, it could mean more business for African crafters...hopefully people will buy their authentic African attire from African crafters.
Peace and love."

**
REPLY
5. Eunice Apia, 2018
"The Dadhe I am African and I live in America. For a long time I didn't have a problem with it because I felt it was a compliment to Africans. I no longer feel that way. I think appreciation goes further than putting on a fashion piece or attire.

I feel rather than wear our traditional garbs, treat ALL Blacks respectfully. That is better than throwing on an African outfit. It doesn't make sense that other races appreciate our art, food, and fashion when they can't appreciate Africans and Blacks on a whole. This is not directed to you personally but to every race that is not Black.

The reason why I mention, wearing your own traditional wear is because as much as I see Whites talk about pride in themselves as a whole, I don't see them running to their traditional or culture practices to share with world. It's always other cultures that they seek out, but not always in an honoring way. If Caucasian culture is great, why not be more open to share that with the world, rather than constantly trying to share and reinvent other races cultures? Reason why I single out Caucasian is because they are the only race that I can think of that persecute and deliberately attack other races besides their own on a global scale. They need to fix that mind set before Blacks( in America and maybe around world) can trust and feel comfortable sharing their culture without fear of it being stolen, abused or turn for profit.

Again this is not a personal attack. It's something that I've started wondering about. It didn't bother me till recently because I feel it's a trend or costume for most to fit in. I would love to see someone go watch Black Panther in a European traditional wear, but not because they are protesting movie, but celebrating while acknowledging their ancestors...not customing in someone else's.

I think only time it's acceptable is when it's a gift, your bride or groom is African and you wear during your wedding, you are literally in Africa on holiday or ask publically or privately an African FRIEND perimisson. It must be a friend, not stranger. Just my opinion. I can't dictate what people do or wear. I however will judge if it's being done to follow trends or fit in with a crowd.

Thank You for asking."

**
REPLY
6. gazelle20111, 2018
"Eunice Apia yet many Africans and non Caucasians wear their the White mans jeans, modern clothing, use their items of invention (TV, phones, steam power and engines, travel in their invented planes etc) and many other things. As a born and breed African I honestly would smile when I see others wearing any African item, I feel proud to see such. It shows they appreciate it; afterall you wouldn't wear what you don't like would you? I guess I am just speaking from the usual receptive and approachable way of an African."

**
REPLY
7. Karen Love, 2018
"Eunice Apia
I find that people of other cultures don’t mind sharing their cultural garb. Today is St. Patrick’s Day here in the USA. Everyone is welcome to be Irish today. Some cities pour green dye in their lakes, bars sell green beer and everyone is welcome to participate and profit too if they have something commemorative to sell."

**
REPLY
8. Eunice Apia, 2018
"gazelle20111 I don't have a problem if there is appreciation and not just trend or capitalising on something. People can say what they want about African Americans...but whether Africans want to claim them or not, they can't appropriate African culture. It's in their blood.

I find it cute when other races wear our wear once in the for brownie points or to be in the "know". Also most clothes are made in Asia so I consider them Asian clothes.

I'm sure you are aware that we wear these clothes because of colonization. When I was in Africa, before coming to America, they passed a law in my village in early 1980's that at least the man had to start wearing Western clothes. So if governments are forcing people to leave traditional for Western...what do you expect?"

**
9. Deborah McCray, 2018
"I am an American of African descent. I would have not problem with you wearing a dashiki."

**
10. rose millz, 2018
"yes ,it"s clothes ,you can wear whatever you want,clothes don"t discrimanate people do,a person is entitled to wear whatever they want!!!!!! Do you!!!!!!"

**
11. Debra Williams, 2018
"The fact that a person wants to wear it, I think it is great! I am African American and have sometimes wore them in the 1970s and wore them proudly. I will wear them and more attire again!"

**
12. Sharon Hensdiek, 2018
"Honestly, I wouldn’t think anything. Whoever said that Dashiki’s were only for blacks? Personally I don’t like them so I wouldn’t wear them. Greetings from Bermuda."

**
13. Laura Reynolds, 2018
"If I saw you walking down the street, wearing a dashiki, I would ask you...is your wife from Africa? Most African-Americans wear dashikis, for fashion's sake, not for cultural identity. Sad, really..."

**
REPLY
14. Ceelle2, 2018
"Laura Reynolds I am 61 so I remember when African Americans first started to wear dashiki's..it was absolutely for cultural identity and a political force...just as the afro hairdo was about African culture and the celebration of same...not just fashion. When I cut my very long hair (I am mixed race) I wore an afro. My brother's afro was so big it didn't all fit in his wedding picture. LOL Even today... women of color with natural hair...maybe a hair wrap or Kente cloth on....are making cultural and political statements. We know it by the stares we get in the broader society."

**
15. orobev, 2018
"I live in south east London. From time to time I see white people wearing Nigerian clothing and even backing babies!! As far as I am concerned its all good🎈..."
-snip-
“backin babies”- probably means “carrying a baby on your back (tied in a piece of cloth

**
16. Akimus S, 2018
"Can white people wear dashikis? Depends on their knowledge of the culture, their level of respect for the culture and their intentions for wearing it. I don't mind a spouse wearing a traditional clothing to pay homage to his/her other significance. If it's all well intendend, why not? I mean none other than God can qualify as our judge, so who cares. I say do as you please :) If I saw you wearing one walking down the street, I would probably smile at you and go on with my day. Simple as that. I wouldn't think of it twice, assuming someone wearing a dashiki probably knows and respect the culture. I don't think most africans would care either, knowing how africans generally are the most welcoming and accepting group of people."
-snip-
This comment is given as it was found in this discussion thread.

**
17. C Fitz, 2018
"You two are delightful...Haven’t seen the movie, but enjoyed your conversation, and will think of you when I do....As for white men/women wearing dashikis...I simply see it as part of one’s fashion preference....No disrespect/shade...actually it should be viewed as a compliment to African artistry and design....How about that?!..lol...Good vlog!

**
18. Dynasty dynasty, 2018
"I would had SAID ...check him out he looks so cool..in his dashiki....wear did he find that at....i've seen many white men in the USA wearing them on occasion....Joanne Dynasty dynasty USA queens NYC...Glad you guy's are BACK πŸ˜„πŸ˜❤❤❤❤❤"

**
19. Anayo Atuanya, 2018
"Cool, of course you can wear it. Yes it would make me smile. I am Nigerian πŸ˜ƒ"

**
20. Isabella Dabrowska, 2018
"I was born in the Middle East. I have no issues seeing non middle eastern people visiting my birth country and dressing like locals. I live in the USA and have worn clothing here like everyone around me since I moved here. I am marrying a man from India and choose to wear salwar kameez when I am there. I am not trying to be Indian. I like that style of clothing, it's comfortable, and it helps me fit in. I don't know why people get annoyed when someone of another culture dresses like theirs. I take it as a compliment. In the USA all cultures come and dress like someone from the USA. I would hope no one here would take offense to that.

I'm glad I found your channel. You are a beautiful couple.

**
21. Lucille Eva, 2018
"See, I don't think that there is a problem with it AT ALL.
My Mum bought my boyfriend a Dashiki from Ghana (he's caucasian). However, he felt awkward wearing it at our Uni because he's under the impression that all the black people will feel like he is being a 'beg' (a londoner term LOL). But it would honestly be fine.
Consequently, he wears his when we're at home πŸ˜‚"

**
22. feliceluvzya1, 2018
"I personally don't care what a person wears. However I find that white people have a terrible habit calling things that are traditionally black, unattractive, ugly, loud, and ghetto when it's on black people, but it becomes chic, stylish and fashion forward on a white person. They will even rename something as if they created it. Now that I have a problem with."

**
23. Melissa A, 2018
"culture appropriation is annoying, but i think most people are just confused on what it is. so for example when you’re going abroad and travelling to, ex. India, wearing traditional clothing is fine because you’re, in a way, exploring their culture and learning, however, to wear it as an everyday fashion, is inappropriate and downright disrespectful. it’s like if someone wore a bindi to make a fashion statement- it’s apart of someone’s culture, and considering the history of oppression (hate) these minorities faced ex. making fun of their culture, it’s ridiculous to wear that person’s culture because it’s trendy all of a sudden"

**
24. Yaa Akomah, 2018
"If I see you Josh walking down the streets in Dashikis I will think “you go man, spread the diversity love” πŸ‘ŒπŸΎπŸ‘ŠπŸ½πŸ€žπŸΎ word up!"

**
25. vycford3, 2018
"Don’t do it bruh! I think it’s cool, but the world is full of people who would consider it cultural appropriation without known you. Be safe and wise. And, you’re okay saying Wakanda forever for anyone who loves the movie. πŸ™…πŸ½‍♀️"

**
26. kocoalively78, 2018
"Wakanda Forever! Someone may try you if your sport Daishiki... like just walking down the street. But I did see that an interracial couple went to the movie, and he was black and dressed in the garb, and as his lady she was dressed in African garb as well. And I looked at the pics like.. Ok that's a thing. But hey if you do do it, pics or it didn't happen! #wakandaforever"

**
27. MyCamiel, 2018
"My boyfriend is white and he wears Dashikis....he wore one to see Black Panther too. And he has no shame about that. He felt very comfortable."

**
28. Mo n, 2018
"LOL at the title - I think as long as people are respectful of the culture, Dashiki's are fine. I'm respectful when I've work a kilt , a sari, or anything from another culture 😏"

**
29. jason rothfeld, 2018
"Good to know! I was hesitant to wear one because I didnt want to be culturally offensive."

**
REPLY
30. The Dadhe, 2018
"Hey bud thanks for getting in touch. I think it's still a matter of why you're wearing it and in which environment. I understand why it could cause offense and why some don't believe I could wear it, ultimately I think it comes down to your personal intentions, convictions and your circle."

**
31. marcela perez, 2019
"I’m Mexican (from Oaxaca) and we also have traditional garments. I’ve seen other cultures wear “our” garments. I feel extremely proud, of other ethnicities wear them. It’s like they’re shouting me out πŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™ŒπŸΎ"

**
REPLY
32. The Dadhe, 2019
"LOVE this comment! Couldn't agree more, how do we see progress when we can't embrace, engage and relate to each other's cultures! Welcome to the channel btw, how did you find us?"

**
REPLY
33. marcela perez, 2019
"The Dadhe The Dadhe aww thank you for replying! I work for a non profit and am we embrace diversity and celebrate culture. I was just curious about the views on other ethnicities wearing traditional garments and their views since we get gifted a lot of just different things for other cultures from co-workers. I just don’t want to look like I’m appropriating instead of celebrating and respecting it. It’s just difficult sometimes in the U.S.... There’s a lot of tension and it gets hard sometimes to see where the line is drawn."

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S COMMENT
I'm an African American whose first introduction to African clothing and African inspired clothing was in 1967 through my involvement with the Black cultural nationalist organization The Committee For Unified Newark (in Newark, New Jersey which is close to New York, City).

In that organization dashikis were strictly considered a male's attire. Females either wore a top (which we called a "buba") and material wrapped as a skirt (which we called a "lapa"). Or women wore a long dress. For non-formal occasions, women usually would wear a tee shirt or a sweat shirt with the wrapped skirt. In the cold winter months we wore pants under our wrap around skirt.

A small number of women and men who were members of that group had "real" authentic African "garb" (a word which I think comes from "garments") which were usually bought from stores in Newark or New York City. We realized that our home made long dresses and the men's dashikis weren't really authentically African.

For the two years (from 1967-1969) that I was a member of that group, I believe that most members -including me- would have agreed with this comment by Ceelle2 (given above as #14):
..."I remember when African Americans first started to wear dashiki's..it was absolutely for cultural identity and a political force...just as the afro hairdo was about African culture and the celebration of same...not just fashion... Even today... women of color with natural hair...maybe a hair wrap or Kente cloth on....are making cultural and political statements."...

Up to around the 1990s I believed that dashikis and other African and African inspired clothing should only be worn by Black people, but I no longer hold that fundamentalist position. I now can definitely agree with the points that the vlog publisher The Dadhe who is in an interracial marriage made (given as comment #3 above) "I wear [a dashiki] for 2 reasons, firstly I think visually they are beautiful and secondly there's definitely a pride associated with my wfes background and I want our kids to grow up knowing both sides of their heritage."...

And I now believe that non-Black people may be expressing their appreciation of African culture when they wear African clothing. That said, I'm concerned that non-Black people wearing dashikis in appreciation of African culture, or as a fashion trend, or as a fashion statement have muddied or will muddy the cultural statement of Black people in the United States and elsewhere in the Diaspora's pride in and connection to our African heritage. And I admit that I still dislike the idea of non-Black women wearing African headwraps or non-Black people wearing kente cloth sashes or stoles.

I don't consider Black people in the Diaspora wearing African and African inspired clothing to be cultural appropriation. I don't usually wonder why a Black person wears these fashions. However, I admit that I'm still more likely to wonder why a non-Black person wears these fashions, even though I know that on a lot of levels, it's none of my business.

I'm still a work in progress on this subject.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitors comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment