Translate

Sunday, January 27, 2019

One Of Former President Obama's Favorite Songs Of 2018: Malian (West African) Singer Fatoumata Diawara - "Nterini" (information, video, lyrics, & comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases the song that is performed by Malian (West Africa) singer

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composer of this song and thanks to for her musical legacy. Thanks to Aida Muluneh from Ethiopia for directing this video and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTE
Malian singer Fatoumata Diawara's 2018 song "Nterini" is included in former USA President Barack Obama's favorite songs of 2018.

Click https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/12/28/1822227/-Barack-Obama-shares-his-favorite-books-movies-and-songs-from-2018 "Barack Obama's favorite books, movies and songs from 2018—a man of intellect, culture and diversity" by Leslie Salzillo; December 29, 2018 for a complete list of former President Obama's favorite songs, books, and movies for 2018.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Fatoumata Diawara - Nterini



Fatoumata Diawara, Published on Mar 9, 2018
-snip-
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatoumata_Diawara
"Fatoumata Diawara (born 1982 in Ivory Coast) is a Malian singer and songwriter currently living in France."...

****
LYRICS: NTERINI ((My love/friend/confident)
From http://sacksco.com/notes/fatoumata_diawara_lyrics.html
"This song is about the heartache felt by two lovers separated by distance. My love and my confidant has gone far away and has not sent any news back to me. I love him despite everything and I miss him every day. I want to hear from my darling; otherwise I cannot sleep well at night.

My love has gone far away and may never come back
He has left his family and friends behind and gone away
He may never come back
What am I to do? He was my friend and my confidant
How is he? Just let me know how you are
You have gone to a faraway land
I miss you greatly
You have always been my guide
And I love you with all my heart

My love has taken off
Who knows when he will come back?
My darling has gone far away
And may never come back again

He has gone to live in a faraway country
He has not told me anything
It was not the rough morning weather
That prevented me from seeing him
Nor the heat of the midday sun
Not even the dangers of going out at dusk
Because I could not sleep well if I didn’t see you"
-snip-
Fatoumata Diarara sings in the "Bambara" language.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD
These comments are presented in relative chronological order with the oldest comments given first. Numbers have been added for referencing purposes only.

1. Idontknow Iknow, 2018
"Purely wassulu. I realised that a lot of this singing style has been stolen by more international mainstream artists. They will not tell you where they got inspiration from but we connoisseurs know it is here: wassoulou!!"

**
REPLY
2. Eloo Dpx, 2018
"But she already told it before lol (you can even see it written on her Wiki page).
She uses modern beats + jazz/blues and the typical wassoulou.
And it is not stolen, especially when the artist comes from Mali which was one of the three nowadays countries where the ancient Wassoulou empire was established haha"

**
REPLY
3. Idontknow Iknow, 2018
"Eloo Dpx the beat is a mixture ok if it makes u feel happy. Fyi anybody can add anything in her wiki page. Not very reliable.
The core of this beat is wassoulou. The singing which overshadows the beat is only wassoulou
Almost everybody in wassoulou can sing and they all do sound like this. If u move to another region within they sing differently.. That is how that country is, a country of very diverse voices
Go there you will see people in villages who sing like what you call blues and believe me they never stepped a foot in america, they never heard of the usa."

**
REPLY
4. Scott Ross, 2018
"She has been around for years. It seems petty and mean-spirited of you to pretend that she has stolen something when she has in no way failed to acknowledge her roots."

**
5. I am Baza, 2018
"This place is in Afar, Ethiopia where we harvest salt. I think the melody is influenced by Ethiopian music ? I don't know the language but I loved it . You have some similarity, the melody and voice, with Ethiopian golden singer GIGI Shibabaw. Pleas check her out on you tube.
I am enjoying it on and on, I can't help it."

**
REPLY
6. Sahelian Pirate, 2018
"The melody is wassoulou/manding music. Very old type of music with instruments such like kora, balafon etc. And she added some jazz in it. I love ethiopian music and dance"

**
REPLY
7. Guardian of the Golden Stool, 2018
"I am Baza although the music is of Mandinka origins I believe the reason it sounds as if somewhat culturally familiar to you in an Ethiopian sense because over an extended period of time there has been a lot of cultural exchange between people that have countries existent along the region of the Sahel corridor which extends as far west as Senegal and as far east as Ethiopia."

**
REPLY
8. sesayida, 2018
"No this is not Ethiopian influence it’s mandinka . My tribe"

**
REPLY
9. MuanaZion, 2019
"African music in general derived from Northwest and Northeast Africa, especially from Mali and Nuba kingdoms dating back about 20k years ago. Remember, Mali, Senegal, Niger, Chad, Mauritania, Libya, Ethiopia, Egypt used to be called Nubia, Ethiopia or Sudan"

**
10. Henok R. G., 2018
"This is incredible career height of the lovely Fatoumata! It's a rare classic groove of the Sahil that brings in a mix of pain and ecstasy. You stole my soul in your pretty music diva, this time I came into it. It's also a double thrill for me that my fellow citizen and great artist and curator Aida Muluneh is behind this wonderful video clip. You are on move my sister !!!"

**
REPLY
11. Dagnachew Dessie, 2018
"ethiopian-artist-aida-muluneh-directs-fatoumata-diawaras-music-video"

**
12. ban butita, 2018
"asante sana.. wimbo wako umefika pwani ya africa mashariki (thank you very much.. your song reached the coast of east africa) from Dar es salaam Tanzania"

**
13. Kiki Languages, 2018
"Arouna Fade In what language?"

**
REPLY
14. Sahelian Pirate, 2018
"Kiki Bambara, a manding language"

**
REPLY
15. Kiki Languages, 2018
"NafiSoFresh Thanks I heard of Bambara before. Does she always speak Bambara? Was her song Bissa in Bambara also?"

**
REPLY
16. Sahelian Pirate, 2018
"Kiki Languages yes :)"

**
17. Youssef Houaoui, 2018
"Next Wakanda movie need to have this in it"

**
REPLY
18. Tess Moraa, 2018
"Youssef Houaoui 😂"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment