Translate

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Playing The Hand Game Slide (Part II- videos & comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on the children's hand game "Slide". This game is also called the "slide slide slippery slide", "slide baby", "numbers", "slime yuck, and probably other names.

Part II showcases two of the videos that are featured in Part I and also includes selected comments from these video's discussion threads. Some of these comments identify the geographical locations for names for this hand game.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/12/playing-hand-clap-game-slide-part-i.html for Part I of this series. Part I provides performance information & video examples of the "slide" hand clap game. Seven videos of "Slide" are also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric and recreational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to all the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEOS & SELECTED COMMENTS
Example #1: Hand Clapping Game "Slide"



Splash Games, Published on Jun 10, 2009

****

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series on the children's hand game "Slide". This game is also called the "slide slide slippery slide", "slide baby", "numbers", "slime yuck, and probably other names.

Part II showcases two of the videos that are featured in Part I and also includes selected comments from these video's discussion threads. Some of these comments identify the geographical locations for names for this hand game.

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/12/playing-hand-clap-game-slide-part-i.html for Part I of this series. Part I provides performance information & video examples of the "slide" hand clap game. Seven videos of "Slide" are also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric and recreational purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to all the publishers of these videos on YouTube.


****
SELECTED COMMENTS
Here are some comments from Video #1's discussion thread. These comments are given in chronological order with the oldest comment given first, except for replies. Numbers are added for referencing purposes only.

1. standstrongridefree, 2011
"We call it slime yuck (: when you slide your hands out you say sliiiiiiiiiime and then you flick your wrists out and say yuck! And then start clapping (:"

**
2. garypipi, 2011
"sliiiiime yuck *clap clap*"

**
3. Kyson, 2012
"i love this game! its samoan and my friend Taesha (ti-sha) showed me this. he is samoan and so we played for hours and got to 36 and by then my arms were dead!"

**
4. Tiffany Chen, 2012
"In ny we call it numbers"
-snip-
"ny" = New York (probably New York City but may be New York state)

**
5. aelie. 2012
"when me and my friends play slide we do it quickly so the other person will mess up"

**
6. Amber Budapest, 2012
"We called it slide baby and made up a song
*while sliding ir hands* slide baby *frist clap with parter* one *secound clap with partner* two *back of palms* i *double high five* love *clap ur own hands together* you
And repaet hope u get it"

**
7. Vivian W., 2013
"In chicago, we call it slide slide slippery slide, and we "slide" our hands 4 times (one for each of those words) before we start clapping."

**
8. UppyCuppyCake101, 2013
"I know how to play this!!! The most me and my friend got to was like 30!"

**
9. Taylor Weber, 2013
"it is called Numbers"

**
10. kingnuking, 2013
"Ugh. Always hated this game. Well, I actually LOVE IT. I start hating it when my knuckles starts to hurt :("

**
11. Mark Willkinson, 2013
"It's called slide me up and it was a hit at my school"

**
12. Ana- Carolina Sambile, 2013
"There's many diff names for this game. I call it Slide Baby"

**
13. Bonnie Taylor, 2013
"Yeah I played that yeaaarrrssss ago pretty sure it's called slime yukkk!!!!"

**
14. Asada Shino, 2013
"my friends always do this at school when were waiting"

**
15. Jenna Bean, 2013
"Lol I remember my friend and I were about to reach thirty when one of the teachers stopped us..like seriously? Lol a bunch of kids yelling and being rowdy and he stops us."

**
16. Lani Simone, 2014
"We used to call it numbers. Lol"

**
17. Jackie, 2014
"Me and my friends call it slide slide slippery slide"

**
18. woahitz.11, 2014
"We call it slide baby"

**
REPLY
19. Esther Garcia, 2018
"yess finally someone else calls it that. the beginning you would slide both hands and say “slide baby one baby two baby i love you” and then continue with the counting and everything."

**
20. Kanah, 2014
"We used yo call it Shuffle"

**
21. Isabella Rodriguez, 2014
"There's different names for this game. Deal with it people"

**
22. love johnson, 2014
"People at my school do it in the lunch line on the wall"

**
23. Ariel Scarlet, 2014
"We did slide slide slippery slide if u say the number five u will be disqualified we count skip 5,15 and etc we skip 50 and go until someone says a number with five in it"

**
24. BlockKingdom, 2014
"thank for posting, this is a good way to conserve childhood games for future generations"

**
25. Yellow Print, 2015
"I know this game, i call it slime yak ya"

**
REPLY
26. mrm64, 2015
"@Yellow Print lol we called it Slide Up in Albany, NY"

**
27. e m a j a s m i n e, 2016
"To all my Australians out there, this I called slime yuck yuck😊😜"

**
REPLY
28. Rose The Third Child, 2018
"e m a j a s m i n e in new Zealand they call it slime yuck yuck too"

**
29. Elianna Warner, 2016
"My friend got to 90"

**
30. marykacyy, 2017
"Ugghh I remember playing this wwaaayyyy back We used to have a contest to how fast we could count without messing up xD"

**
31. sharmila aristotle, 2017
"We call it slice"

**
32. ν•˜λŠ˜κΉ€, 2017
"My family calls it SlideBaby. (Sli-baby) for some reason its spelled like that but when pronounced the d is silent."

**
33. Joanne Mcgill, 2018
"Oh man this is called slime yuck yuck and a few hand moves are missing I loved hand clapping games when I was a kid 😊"

**
34. Spiceybooger Spiceybooger, 2018
"I used to do this all the time and the faster you go the sound is great. I did this from 1 to 20 and the backwards from 20 to 1 with my Aunt's best friend....I am old and we always called it Slide. There was another one we did called Boogie Nights."

**
35. danielle stallings, 2018
"Lol, I forgot how to play (its been so long since I've played). I remembered that we use to do it as fast, and as hard as we could. Our hands would be red."

****
Example #2: How to Play the Slide Hand Game - GloZell



GloZell Green, Published on Apr 6, 2018

Fun game from our childhood!
-snip-

Initially GloZell started chanting words to the Tweeleelee (Rockin Robin) hand game. Notice that her sister said that that game was played with four people.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/04/rockin-robin-tweeleelee-analysis.html for Part I of a pancocojams series about this hand game. The link to Part II is found in that post.

Here are some comments from this video's discussion thread. These comments are given in chronological order with the oldest comment given first, except for replies. Numbers are added for referencing purposes only. All of these comments are from 2018.

1. Koddi Dunn
"This just took me allllllllllllllllll the way back to 1987!"

**
2. SmilesJustCuz
"OMG RIP Glozell's hands
This took me back. My hands have survived Slide, Miss Mary Mack, Rockin Robin, Down by the River"
-snip-
All of those examples mentioned are hand clap games (although early on "Miss Mary Mack" was chanted while jumping rope). My guess is that "Down By The River" is the rhyme that may be more widely known as "Down By The Banks Of The Hanky Panky".

**
3. Grace Farrell
"Why is glozell me when I play a game with my friends"

**
4. Ray Powis
"Yeah she wasn't clapping in between, Glozell wasn't haha"

**
5. Tyna Moore
"She’s right don’t play with heavy handed ppl"
-snip-
"heavy handed"= people whose hands hit down hard

**
6. Shannon Clark
"Bet them hands do hurt"

**
7. Tesa evans
"Her hands hurt because she keeps messing up"

**
8. Mary Gaeke
"Takes me back to playing hand games with my friends on the playground when I was a kid"

**
9. Ruth IsHere
"I play that with my friend and we made it to 10"

**
10. Diamond Girl2018
"You're very funny!!!! We πŸ’— u!!!!!"

**
11. Nick Colonna
"Slide baby one, baby two, baby i love you one two one two, one, two"

**
12. denise cuff
"Love you and de and hand games played a lot when I was smallπŸ˜€"

****
This concludes Part II of this two part pancocojams series on the "Slide" hand game.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment