Translate

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Two Examples Of African American Spiritual "I'm Gonna Sing Till The Spirit Moves In My Heart"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part III of a four part pancocojams series that showcases renditions of the African American Spiritual "Move When The Spirit Says Move" or are based, at least in part, on that Spiritual.

This pancocojams post provides information about Moses Hogan and showcases two examples of his arrangement of the African American Spiritual "I'm Gonna Sing When The Spirit Says Sing".

I believe that "You Gotta Move When The Spirit Says Move" is an earlier title for this Spiritual, but Moses Hogan re-titled this song "I'm Gonna Sing When The Spirit Moves In My Heart".*

"I'm Gonna Sing When The Spirit Moves In My Heart" is also given as "I'm Gonna Sing".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/04/two-interpretations-of-african-american.html for Part I of this series. Part I showcases two examples of the African American Spiritual "Move When The Spirit Says Move".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/04/three-examples-of-african-american.html for Part II of this series. Part II showcases three renditions of the African American Spiritual "I'm Gonna Sing When The Spirit Says Sing". I believe that an earlier title for that Spiritual is "Move When The Spirit Says Move".

Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/04/mississippi-fred-mcdowell-you-gotta.html for Part IV of this series. Part IV showcases Mississippi Fred McDowell's Blues song "You Gotta Move".

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are featured in this post and thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT MOSES HOGAN
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Hogan
"Moses George Hogan (March 13, 1957 – February 11, 2003) was an American composer and arranger of choral music. He was best known for his settings of African-American spirituals. Hogan was a pianist, conductor, and arranger of international renown. His works are celebrated and performed by high school, college, church, community, and professional choirs today. His most famous work today is The Oxford Book of Spirituals created in 2002.

[...]

Achievements
Founder and conductor of The Moses Hogan Chorale and The Moses Hogan Singers
1st place in the 28th annual "Kosciuszko Foundation Chopin Competition" in New York.
Appointed artist in residence at Loyola University New Orleans in 1993.
Arranged and performed several compositions for the 1995 PBS documentary The American Promise.
Recorded and conducted several arrangements with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Critically acclaimed by The New York Times and Gramophone Magazine.
Brother of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia fraternity.
Single-handedly introduced the professional choral spiritual and revitalized the Negro spiritual tradition.

Arrangements[edit]
Over seventy published works"...
[Titles listed in alphabetical order]

****
From http://www.moseshogan.com/
Moses Hogan :
Born: March 13, 1957
Died: February 11, 2003
Until his untimely death in 2003, Moses Hogan was one of the most celebrated contemporary directors and arrangers of spirituals. In his short life, he created dozens of new original arrangements of classic spirituals, and formed several choirs that performed them with new vitality."

****
BASIC LYRICS FOR "I'M GONNA SING TILL THE SPIRIT MOVES IN MY HEART"
"I'm gonna sing 'til the spirit moves in my heart. I'm gonna sing 'til the spirit moves in my heart. I'm gonna sing 'til the spirit moves in my heart. I'm gonna sing 'til Jesus comes.

I'm gonna pray 'til the spirit moves in my heart. I'm gonna pray 'til the spirit moves in my heart. I'm gonna pray 'til the spirit moves in my heart. I'm gonna pray 'til Jesus comes.

I'm gonna shout 'til the spirit moves in my heart. I'm gonna shout 'til the spirit moves in my heart. I'm gonna shout 'til the spirit moves in my heart. I'm gonna shout 'til Jesus comes."

****
SHOWCASE VIDEOS
Example #1: I'm Gonna Sing



MetroSingersUploaded on Jun 12, 2009

MetroSingers, Hyattsville, MD

Song recorded and produced by Hope Channel
-snip-
Notice the kente cloth stoles that are worn with the choir's robes. Black Americans have used kente cloth as a familiar symbol of African heritage. Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/02/kente-cloth-worn-by-american-gospel.html for one pancocojams post in a series about Black people throughout the world wearing kente cloth.

****
Example #2: Im Gonna Sing Till the Spirit Move in My Heart



Greater Allen Cathedral Church, Uploaded on Jul 7, 2010
Church members perform at the Cathedral Chorale.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment