Translate

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Five African American Videos Of "It Is Well With My Soul" (In honor of "Souls To The Polls" efforts)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases five renditions of the Christian hymn "It Is Well With My Soul" that are performed by African Americans.

Examples #1, # 2, and #5 are examples of what I call "gospelized hymns", i.e. Christian hymns that are performed in a Black Gospel style. Notice that these particular renditions aren't sung the exact same way.

Example #3 below features a standard rendition of this hymn that includes American Sign Language.

Example #4 features a standard rendition of this hymn.

The lyrics to "It Is Well With My Soul" are also included in this post.

This post is published in honor of Ohio's "Souls To The Polls" efforts.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composers of "It Is Well With My Soul". Thanks also to all those who are featured in these videos, and thanks to the publisher of these videos on YouTube. Also, thanks to the Ohio's Souls To The Polls organizers and participants

****
INFORMATION ABOUT SOULS TO THE POLLS
During the 2008 and the 2012 presidential elections, many African-American churches took advantage of early voting to promote ‘take your souls to the polls’—programs that encouraged voting by taking church members directly from Sunday services to the polls.

"Souls To The polls" returns to Ohio on November 6, 2016, the last Sunday before voting day in the United States on Tuesday November 8th.

Click for the 2012 pancocojams post http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2012/10/soulful-sounds-in-honor-of-souls-to.html "Soulful Sounds In Honor Of "Souls To The Polls" Early Voting Efforts".

That post honors Ohio's "Souls To The Polls" early voting efforts by showcasing five musical selections whose titles include the word "soul". Information & comments about "Souls To The Polls" initiatives & a video about the "Souls To The Polls" project in Ohio are also included in that post.
-snip-
Florida also has "Souls to the polls". I don't know whether other states which have early voting besides Ohio and Florida have Souls to the Polls.

****
LYRICS - IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

The United Methodist Hymnal Number 377
Text: Horatio G. Spafford
Music: Philip P. Bliss

Tune: VILLE DU HAVRE, Meter: 11 8.11 9 with Refrain

1. When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
it is well, it is well with my soul.

2. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
let this blest assurance control,
that Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
and hath shed his own blood for my soul.

(Refrain)

3. My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

(Refrain)

4. And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
the clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
the trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
even so, it is well with my soul.

(Refrain)

Source: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh377.sht

****
SHOWCASE VIDEOS:
Example #1: It Is Well With My Soul



Metropolitan Baptist Church, Uploaded on Jan 16, 2008

Dr. H. Beecher Hicks, Jr. of Metropolitan Baptist Church solos on "It is Well with My Soul" on January 13, 2008.

****
Example #2: MAHALIA JACKSON ~ It Is Well With My Soul



The WORD is ALIVE Hebrews 4:12, Uploaded on Jan 27, 2008

****
Example #3: IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL - The Glory Hands [in American Sign Language]



Vernado Harrison, Uploaded on Jul 29, 2008

****
Example #4: Morgan State University Choir-"It Is Well"



Miriam Williams, Uploaded on Dec 11, 2009

Morgan State University Choir singing "It Is Well"-Arranged by the late Dr. Nathan Carter

****
Example #5: It Is Well With My Soul w/ Dr. Loudella Evans Reid/FELLOWSHIP CHOIR



BrothaRollins, Uploaded on May 3, 2011

Fathers Day 2003 at Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment