Translate

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Deep House/Reggae Fusion Song "Cheerleader" by OMI (Felix Jaehn Remix) information, video, & lyrics

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases the official remix video of OMI's "Cheerleader".

Information about OMI and about this song is also included in this post, along with this song's lyrics.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to OMI for composing and performing "Cheerleader". Thanks also to Felix Jaehn for his remix of this song and thanks to all those who performed in this video and who produced this song and this video. In addition, thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT OMI AND THIS SONG'S COMPOSITION/PRODUCTION
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheerleader_(song)
"Cheerleader" is a song recorded by Jamaican singer OMI. The track was written and produced by OMI and Clifton Dillon, Mark Bradford, and Ryan Dillon. OMI first began developing the song in 2008, when he created its melody. It was refined over several years alongside famed Jamaican producer Clifton Dillon. It was first recorded with veteran session musicians Sly and Robbie and Dean Fraser. Released as a single on independent label Oufah, the song saw success in Jamaica, where it topped the charts, and also attracted airplay in Hawaii and Dubai.[1][2][3] The song's lyrics depict a romantic companion as a support system.

Hoping to connect the song to a wider audience, OMI signed to U.S. dance label Ultra Music in 2013. Ultra contacted two disc jockeys to produce remixed versions of the original song. The label and song's producers preferred one remix, produced by a young German DJ, Felix Jaehn, that eschewed much of the song's original instrumentation for a tropical-flavored deep house rendition, prominently featuring a trumpet, a conga beat, and piano. A remix extended play was released in May 2014 by Ultra, which began to first see commercial success that fall.

"Cheerleader" became a massive global success in 2015, reached number one in 20 countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, France, and Germany.

Background
OMI—the stage name of Omar Samuel Pasley—was born in the parish of Clarendon, Jamaica. He grew up with a love of American hip hop, but grew more interested in melody after listening to singers like John Legend, Nat King Cole, and Sam Cooke. He first developed "Cheerleader" in 2008, when he woke up humming its melody.[4] "It was like a little Jamaican nursery rhyme, like ‘one, two, buckle my shoe,’ that kind of thing—‘ring game’ is what we’d call it. The rest of the song just fell into place like a jigsaw puzzle," he later recalled.[5] …Prolific Jamaican rhythm section Sly and Robbie and veteran saxophonist Dean Fraser contributed to the original recording,[8] which was first issued in 2011 on Oufah, an independent label in Kingston.[6]

The following April, Patrick Moxey, president of U.S. electronic music label Ultra Music, discovered the song.[6] According to Moxey, he was vacationing in Montreal when he first heard the song whilst listening to radio promoter showcase songs popular in the Caribbean. Meanwhile, Salaam Remi, an American hip hop producer that owned an imprint at Sony, was also interested in bringing the song to a wider audience.[9] Ultra signed Pasley to a recording contract in late 2013.[8] It soon began conversations with two disc jockeys—Brooklyn dancehall and hip-hop producer Ricky Blaze and German producer Felix Jaehn. They sent them "Cheerleader" and an acapella version to build remixes. Jaehn enjoyed the song's vocals, but felt its instrumentation not attune to its "feel-good" essence; he hoped to craft a remix he deemed more "danceable."[10] The Jaehn remix was completed in January 2014, and released that May on Ultra.

The remix version incorporates a house beat with additional trumpet, bongos and a "samba-like" piano part.[12] It also speeds up Pasley's original vocal track, and eschews much of the original rhythm of the song with digital instrumentation. Fraser's saxophone is replaced by a sample of a trumpet.[8] These attributes were considered more palatable for international audiences.[11][13] Its genre has been variously described as representative of deep house,[14] reggae fusion,[15] and electro-ska.[10]

The song's lyrics center on the protagonist's joy at finding a "cheerleader"—a romantic companion that will be a support system for him, and is "always there when I need her."[12][16] While the song's lyrics relate heavily to romance, Pasley considered it timeless: "It speaks to more than just a significant other. It’s dedicated to anyone who is that support system."[17]

Music videos
The song's original music video, directed by Tim Cash, was shot in Oregon on a small budget.[6] A second video, directed by Scorpio 21, was shot at Red Bones Café in Saint Andrew in January 2015.[18]
As the song began gaining worldwide success, a new music video for the Jaehn remix was commissioned.[6] It was shot on location in Haulover Beach, Florida, which was designed to capture the song's essence, described by Pasley as a "constant warm sunshine-playful vibe." The clip was directed by Lenny Bass"...

****
LYRICS: CHEERLEADER
(Omar Samuel Pasley, also known as OMI)

[Verse 1:]
When I need motivation
My one solution is my queen
'Cause she stays strong
Yeah, yeah
She is always in my corner
Right there when I want her
All these other girls are tempting
But I'm empty when you're gone
And they say

[Pre-chorus:]
Do you need me?
Do you think I'm pretty?
Do I make you feel like cheating?
I'm like no, not really 'cause

[Chorus:]
Oh, I think that I've found myself a cheerleader
She is always right there when I need her
Oh, I think that I've found myself a cheerleader
She is always right there when I need her

[Verse 2:]
She walks like a model
She grants my wishes
Like a genie in a bottle
Yeah, yeah
'Cause I'm the wizard of love
And I got the magic wand
All these other girls are tempting
But I'm empty when you're gone
And they say

[Pre-chorus:]
Do you need me?
Do you think I'm pretty?
Do I make you feel like cheating?
I'm like no, not really 'cause

[Chorus:]
Oh, I think that I've found myself a cheerleader
She is always right there when I need her
Oh, I think that I've found myself a cheerleader
She is always right there when I need her

[Instrumental break]

[Bridge:]
She gives me love and affection
Baby, did I mention
You're the only girl for me
No, I don't need a next one
Mama loves you too
She thinks I made the right selection
Now all that's left to do
Is just for me to pop the question

[Chorus:]
Oh, I think that I've found myself a cheerleader
She is always right there when I need her
Oh, I think that I've found myself a cheerleader
She is always right there when I need her

Source:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/omi/cheerleaderfelixjaehnremix.html

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: OMI - Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix) [Official Video]



Ultra Music, Published on Apr 8, 2015

OMI's debut artist album "Me 4 U" is out now everywhere!!
-snip-
Notice the Jamaican flag that is first shown at 1:07 in this video. The soccer ball that is also shown in this video also has Jamaican flag designs.

This video's discussion thread includes a lot of Brazilian commenters. Judging from their comments, a number of these bloggers either believe the song (and/or its singer and/or the actress who plays the role of his girlfriend) are Brazilian or they ask if this song (or its singer/featured actress) are Brazilian. Here are a few of comments that reflect this or attempt to correct this misperception:

February 2016

Ronaldo Dinato
"B-R-A-Z-I-L"

**
Thierry Eros
"Brasileiros??? kd?"

**
Ilene Zanella
"music LOVE i you..My BRAZIL"

**
Brenda Jimenez
"their not Brazilian"

**
Sandy Machado
"sorry 100% brasileira"

**
Vitória Raquel
"Alguém do Brasil?"
-snip-
Google translate from Portuguese to English:
Someone from Brazil?

For the record (no pun intended), the actress who plays the role of the singer's girlfriend is named Sheila Leason but she goes by Sheila Marie (Marie is her middle name). Sheila Marie is Black American. According to http://outofthewilderness.me/2015/07/15/the-girl-in-omis-cheerleader-music-video-and-other-fun-facts/ where I retrieved the information about her name, Sheila Marie's cousin is Associate Pastor Johnny Olivardia from Impact Church in Miami, Florida.

****
Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NVUZNsh2E for a video of the original version of OMI's "Cheerleader" (2012).

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment