Translate

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc's Expanded Definitions Of Beauty, Part II

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a two part pancocojams series that presents video documentation and viewer comments about some facets of physical diversity in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. (AKA) is a historically Black Greek letter organization that was founded in 2008 on the campus of Howard University.

Part I and Part II of this post explore other facets of diversity besides race- namely skin color, hair styles, and body shape.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/alpha-kappa-alpha-sorority-incs.html for Part I of this post. Part I features my Editorial comment as well as four additional Alpha Kappa Alpha videos and selected comments from some of those videos' discussion threads. That post also includes an excerpt of a 1928 letter that was published in Howard University's magazine. That letter discusses colorism as indicated by the "brown paper bag test" in historically Black fraternities and sororities.

These videos feature Alpha Kappa Alpha probate shows or preparations for a propate. "Probate" is a term used by historically Black Greek letter organizations to refer to the show or ceremony in which new members of a fraternity or sorority are introduced to the public for the first time.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, historical, and sociological reasons.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are featured in these videos and who are quoted in this post. Thanks also to all the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
****
FEATURED VIDEOS & SELECTED COMMENTS
I selected these examples by randomly surfing YouTube for AKA probate videos. These videos are presented in chronological order with the videos with the oldest dates given first. The videos in this post are numbered 5-8 beginning where the videos in Part I left off

Example #5:
Alpha Kappa Alpha, Spelman College (Sweet Mu Pi Chapter) Spring 2014 Neophyte Presentation



TIBJFilms Published on Apr 23, 2014

Sweet Mu Pi Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Unofficial Footage from the Spring 2014 Alpha Kappa Alpha Sweet Mu Pi Chapter probate. [Spelman College, Atlanta, Georgia]
-snip-
Here are some selected comments from this video's discussion thread. I've assigned numbers to these comments for referencing purposes only.
1. winrx, November 2014
Ok so I take it this is a weaveless sorority.....lol
-snip-
"Weaves" = hair attached to your hair to enhance its length and fullness.

**
Reply
2. Dave Johnson November 2014
lol!!! You need long hair to join. If not, then you can't shake your head like a demon.
-snip-
These two comments were probably written facetiously.

**
Nicole A, March, 2015
3. "Why can't they have natural hair?"

**
Reply
4. tdianddp4life, April, 2015
"+Nicole A Exactly, I don't get that either. I wanted to join that sorority but I see that they all straighten their hair. Nevermind lol"

**
Reply
5. Sincerely, Elle, April 2015
"+Nicole A +tdianddp4life This is actually my line and I have natural hair. A lot of my line sisters also have natural hair. For the probate we stand as one and act as a solitary line, so EVERYTHING we do is the same, from hair to what
earrings we wore, to the type of eye liner we put on. So in this we all straightened our hair. But it is absolutely not a requirement to have straight hair to be in the organization at all! Just wanted to say that lol."

**
6. tdianddp4life, June 2015
"+Tierini mitchell I was just curious to know if that was a requirement or not because I wanted to join AKA if I attended Spelman. I thought they had perms. That worried me because if I joined I wouldn't want to perm my hair but seeing that the poster above said their hair is just straightened with a flat iron I wouldn't mind doing that. That's all. Sorry if I sounded rude."

**
Reply
7. tdianddp4life, June 2015
"+Tierini mitchell I was just curious to know if that was a requirement or not because I wanted to join AKA if I attended Spelman. I thought they had perms. That worried me because if I joined I wouldn't want to perm my hair but seeing that the poster above said their hair is just straightened with a flat iron I wouldn't mind doing that. That's all. Sorry if I sounded rude."

**
8. Natasha Coleman, July 2015
"beautiful! I do wonder if the sisters all use the same hair dresser. every AKA line up I see theres the same wonderful flow lol"

****
Example #6: The Alpha Pi Chapter " of Alpha Kappa Alpha 'Spring 14'



ChachoomCO Published on May 6, 2014 [Clark Atlanta University, Georgia]
-snip-
Here's a comment from this video's discussion thread:
Tayaso Matador, 2014
"these ladies are so classy and beautiful wouldn't expect nothing less from the aka's"

****
Example #7: Behind The Scenes | Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. FA'14 New Member Presentation`



Ashley Whitney Published on Nov 29, 2014

Music
"Imma AKA" by Miss Mykie [College of The Bahamas]

****
Example #8: ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA - EPSILON EPSILON CHAPTER



Sedrick Askew Published on Dec 12, 2014

EPSILON EPSILON FALL 12 PROBATE...... LONG TIME COMING #EEuCANneverBE #mirrorsUP #PRETTYinPINK
-snip-
I'm not sure where this AKA chapter is located.
At 1:39 in this video, an AKA talks about people calling her conceited as a preface to the AKA signature chant "A Serious Matter”.
-snip-
Here are two comments from this video's discussion thread:
Donimica Binkley, 2015
"I see you prettEE girls!"

**
Dwight Allen, 2015
"Sexy ladies."

****
This concludes Part II of this post.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment