Translate

Monday, April 27, 2015

Astrology, My Maze Dream, A Scene From The Kung Fu TV Series, And The Igbo Chi

by Azizi Powell

This is a re-post of comments that I wrote on an astrology blog in response to a comment about Sabian symbols and (former?) NBC news anchor Brian Williams. My comments have nothing to do with Brian Williams. Nor do my comments have anything to do with Black music and dance, which are the main topics covered in this pancocojams blog. However, in re-reading my comments on that astrology blog, I just realized that I made a mistake in the wording of a critical sentence about a dream I had of being in an underground maze and not knowing how to get out of that maze.

Unfortunately, that blog doesn't allow editing, and a lot of other comments have been posted since then which means that it would look strange for me to post a new comment correcting that sentence. And so I've chosen to quote those comments-with that correction-on this blog. Hopefully, some pancocojams readers will be interested in this post that is rather off-topic from this blog's focus.

Prior to re-posting those comments, here's some information about natal astrology and about Sabian symbols:
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natal_chart
"In astrology, a natal chart is a stylized map of the universe with the "native" (the individual or subject to be studied) at the center. It is calculated for the exact time and location of the native's birth for the purposes of gaining insight into the native's personality and potential. Commonly used alternative names for the natal chart include birth chart, [and] horoscope... The chart shows the positions of the sun, moon, planets, and potentially other celestial objects, all referred to as the native's "planets," within the frames of references defined by the astrological signs and houses.

The accurate birth time (generally agreed upon as the first breath or intake of air) and location are deemed necessary by astrologers for the calculation of the exact degree of the signs that are rising, setting, culminating up, and culminating down, known respectively the ascendant (or "rising sign"), descendant, medium coeli (or "midheaven"), and imum coeli (or "lower midheaven"). These degrees, also known as the angles, are essential for mapping the positions of the native's twelve houses...

To complete the horoscope the astrologer will look at the aspects or relative angles between pairs of planets. Certain aspects are considered more important than others. Those generally recognized by the astrological community are Conjunction (0°), Opposition (180°), Square (90°), Trine (120°), Sextile (60°), Semi-Sextile (30°), Semi-Square (45°), Quintile (72°), Sesquisquare (135°), Bi-Quintile (144°) and Quincunx (150°). Astrologers claim that these aspects function within an orb of influence, the size of which varies according to the importance of each aspect."...

****
From http://sabiansymbols.com/the-sabian-symbols-story/
"What are the Sabian Symbols?

The ancients divided up the sky, just like any other circle, into 360 degrees. They assigned each of the 12 constellations (star signs or zodiac signs) 30 degrees each: 12 times 30 = 360. The Sabian Symbols are a set of 360 phrases of words that correspond with each of the 360 degrees of the wheel of the zodiac, from Aries 1 to Pisces 30. Consisting from as little as 2 words (Virgo 2: ‘A Harem’) to as many as 21 words (Taurus 5: ‘A Youthful Widow, Fresh and Soul-Cleansed From Grief, Kneels at an Open Grave to Receive the Secret of Eternal Life), each one of these Symbols holds both a story and a unique energy field of their own. These images hold meaning for those degrees of the signs. Although the Symbols have their foundations in astrology, absolutely no knowledge of astrology is needed to use them."...

****
MY RE-POSTED COMMENTS (WITH CORRECTIONS) FROM STARLIGHT NEWS BLOG http://starlightnews.com/wordpress/2015/04/discussion-thread-5/#comments
"April 26, 2015 at 11:39 am

Thanks, barbk for your April 24, 2015 at 4:21 pm post on the meaning of the Sabian Symbol for 12+ (13) Libra, where Brian Williams’ north node is.

I have Neptune in Libra 12° in my first house, and since that write-up you posted for Libra 12°+ (13) didn’t fit me, I was motivated to look up the Sabian symbol meaning for 12°. Here’s the write up I found at http://www.mindfire.ca/An%20Astrological%20Mandala/An%20Astrological%20Mandala%20-%20Libra%201-15.htm
“(LIBRA 12°): MINERS ARE SURFACING FROM A DEEP COAL MINE.

KEYNOTE: The need to carry on at ever-deeper levels the quest for knowledge which keeps burning the fires of the collective mind of a society.

The search for knowledge demands the dedication of many minds digging ever deeper into the realities of our earthly existence. It is a hard, often dark pursuit amidst great difficulties and the possibility of being spiritually asphyxiated by the constant intellectual effort and tension. When a person is confronted by this symbol it could be interpreted as showing the need for such an intellectual dedication but also as pointing to the advisability of emerging from it and leading a more natural life.”...
-snip-
That description fits my reclusive, information searching nature to a t (and reinforces other natal aspects to Neptune, such as my Virgo ascendant, my 3rd house Mercury in Sag which exactly trines my 12th house Pluto in Leo, and my 3rd house Jupiter in Sag.

I’ve had dreams of trying to claw my way out of a deep underground cave, and that theme is often in supposedly light-weight novels I pick up from used stores, and I don’t like the idea of being in caves. But instead of being in a cave, I’ve also had dreams about trying to find my way out of an underground, intricate maze. In one of those dreams (which I had when I was in trying to work my way out of a pit of grief [I didn’t realize what I wrote until I wrote it] due to a failed love relationship, I met a being (male?) who I called “The Teacher”. Although I feel that he talked to me for some time, the only thing that I can remember about that conversation was him reminding me that “the way in is the way out”.

I interpreted that to mean that just because that love relationship didn’t work, I shouldn’t be afraid of entering into a new love relationship.

Although it doesn’t directly relate to that particular Sabian symbol, for me a story that was part of an episode of the American television show “Kung Fu” also addresses that point. In that episode there is a flash back in which the mixed race Shaolin priest & martial arts expert Kwai Chang Caine remembers one of the tests that his mentor & elder, Master Po gave him during his training in China (This was before Caine came to the American West to try to find his half-brother.)

Master Po gave him a treasure that was wrapped up that he had to take to a master at another monastry. That night Caine made a campfire and was preparing to eat when a stranger came by. Caine shared his campfire with the stranger and that morning realized that the stranger had left with the treasure that Master Po had entrusted to his keep. So downhearted, Caine went back to report what had happened to his teacher.

Master Po asked him what had he learned from that experience. Caine said “Never trust strangers.” Master Po said that he had learned the wrong lesson – that he should have learned “Be careful who you trust”.
-snip-
I thought that was heavy (deep, great) then, and I still think it’s heavy now.
-end of quote-
The bold font is in the original article.

Here's the write-up for the Sabian Symbol that I don't believe fits me:
"Sabian Symbol for 12+ (13) Libra
CHILDREN BLOWING SOAP BUBBLES keynote: The cultural fantasies through which young minds dream of perfect fulfillment.

“Some men work hard at acquiring knowledge and providing society with what it needs to enjoy warmth and lighted palaces; others play at imagining themselves perfect spheres of multicolored radiance – soap bubbles so soon proven evanescent!”
(Dane Rudhyar from his book An Astrological Mandala)"
-end of quote-
Click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(TV_series) for information about the television series Kung Fu. I don't know which episode of that series included the story that I shared.
-snip-
BarbK responded to my comment and, among other things, wrote that "I believe the teacher in your dream was your “higher” self, or your soul self, the part of ourselves that can only reach most of us through dreams or other states where we are free from our ego self."

I wrote BarbK back and, among other things, said "I suppose that the Teacher could have been my higher self. But I like the idea of a “chi” -Igbo [Nigeria] word for “guardian angel”- looking after each soul."
-end of quote-
Here's some information about the Chi in Igbo religion:
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odinani#Chi
"Odinani (Igbo: ọ̀dị̀nànị̀) comprises the traditional religious practices and cultural beliefs of the Igbo people.[1] Odinani has monotheistic and panentheistic attributes, having a single God as the source of all things. Although a pantheon of spirits exists, these are lesser spirits prevalent in Odinani expressly serving as elements of Chineke (or Chukwu), the supreme being or high god....

Chi is the personal spiritual guardian of a person and is conceived as ḿmúọ́, a spirit which determines destiny.[16][17][18]... The universal chi indirectly in charge of everything is Chukwu who is the supreme being that is beyond the limits of time and space. Chukwu's name is a compound of the words chí + úkwú ('great in size, supreme').[14] Chi is believed to be a spiritual connection between an individual and the high god and it dictates the trajectory of a persons spiritual journey on earth. Each chi is personal and is in communion with and inseparable from the universal chi of all things.[22] The high god, Chukwu, is believed to assign chi before and at the time of an individuals birth. It is a guardian spirit providing care, guardianship, and providence, in this respect, the concept of chi is analogous to the concept of a guardian angel in Christianity, the daemon in ancient Greek religion, and the genius in ancient Roman religion."...

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment