Edited by Azizi Powell
This post showcases a video and song lyrics for Sean Paul's hit 2002 Dancehall record "Get Busy", also known as "Shake That Thing Miss Annabella".
This post also includes my interpretation of the song's lyrics.
The content of this post is presented for cultural, historical, and aesthetic purposes.
All copyrights remain with their owners.
Thanks to Sean Paul for his musical legacy. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post, and thanks to the publisher of this video on YouTube.
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/02/black-house-parties-then-now-part-ii.html for another pancocojams post on this record which includes selected comments from this video's discussion thread.
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Sean Paul - Get Busy
Maja Martin, Uploaded on Aug 2, 2008
Sean Paul performing Get Busy - Official Music Video
This video was filmed in Toronto, Canada.
LYRICS - GET BUSY [given with line numbers for explanation purposes]
1. Shake that thing Miss Kana Kana
2. Shake that thing Miss Annabella
3. Shake that thing yan Donna Donna
4. Jodi and Rebecca
5. Woman get busy, Just shake that booty non-stop
6. When the beat drops
7. Just keep swinging it
8. Get jiggy
9. Get crunked up
10. Percolate anything you want to call it
11. Oscillate you hip and don’t take pity
12. Me want fi see you get live ‘pon the riddim when me ride
13. And me lyrics a provide electricity
14. Gal nobody can tell you nuttin’
15. Can you done know your destiny
16. Yo sexy ladies want par with us
17. In a the car with us
18. Them nah war with us
19. In a the club them want flex with us
20. To get next to us
21. Them cah vex with us
22. From the day me born jah ignite me flame
23. gal a call me name and its me fame
24. Its all good girl turn me on
25. ‘Til a early morn’
26. Let’s get it on
27. Let’s get it on ‘til a early morning
28. Girl it’s all good just turn me on
29. Woman don’t sweat it,
30. don’t get agitate just gwaan rotate
31. Can anything you want you know you must get it
32. From you name a mentuin
33. Don’t ease the tension
34. just run the program gals wan pet it
35. Just have a good time
36. Gal free up unu mind
37. caw nobody can dis you man won‘t let it can
38. You a the number one gal
39. Wave you hand
40. Make them see you wedding band
41. Yo sexy ladies want par with us
42. In a the car with us
43. Them nah war with us
44. In a the club them want flex with us
45. To get next to us
46. Them cah vex with us
47. From the day me born jah ignite me flame
48. gal a call me name and its me fame
49. Its all good girl turn me on
50. ‘Til a early morn’
51. Let’s get it on
52. Let’s get it on ‘til a early morning
53. Girl it’s all good just turn me on
54. Woman Get busy, Just shake that booty non-stop
55. When the beat drops
56. Just keep swinging it
57. Get jiggy
58. Get crunked up
59. Percolate anything you want to call it
60. Oscillate you hip and don’t take pity
61. Me want fi see you get live
62. ‘pon the riddim when me ride
63. And me lyrics a provide electricity
64. Gal nobody can tell you nuttin’
65. Can you done know your destiny
66. Yo sexy ladies want par with us
67. In a the car with us
68. Them nah war with us
69. In a the club them want flex with us
70. To get next to us
71. Them cah vex with us
72. From the day me born jah ignite me flame
73. gal a call me name and its me fame
74. It’s all good girl turn me on
75. ‘til a early morn’
76. let’s get it on
77. let’s get it on ‘til a early morning
78. girl…it’s all good just turn me on
79. Yo, Shake that thing
80. Miss Kana Kana shake that thing
81. Yo, Annabella shake that thing
82. Miss Donna Donna
83. Yo Miss Jodi yu’r di one and Rebecca shake that thing
84. Yo shake that thing
85. Yo Joanna shake that thing
86. Yo Annabella shake that think
87. Miss Kana Kana
88. Yo sexy ladies want par with us
89. In a the car with us
90. Them nah war with us
91. In a the club them want flex with us
92. To get next to us
93. Them cah vex with us
94. From the day me born jah ignite me flame
95. gal a call me name and its me fame
96. Its all good girl turn me on
97. ‘Til a early morn’
98. Let’s get it on
99. Let’s get it on ‘til a early morning
100. Girl it’s all good just turn me on
101. Let’s get it on ‘til a early morning
102. Girl it’s all good just turn me on
[quoted on that page: "Thanks to amsasss for adding these lyrics".]
The lines for these lyrics are slightly reformatted for this pancocojams post.
LYRICS EXPLANATIONS (using the above line numbers)
Most of these explanations are my interpretations. Citations are given for other explanations.
Additions and corrections are welcome.
Note: Some words and phrases in Sean Paul's "Get Busy" song are from African American Vernacular English and some are from Jamaican Patois. I'll note below when the word/phrase is from Jamaican Patois.
1-4: Calling out specific names of female dancers who are dancing very well at a nightclub.(club); telling them to continue to "get busy" ("get busy" = do "hot", sexy dance movies; dance seductively)
shake that thing = (telling a female to) shake your butt seductively [in time to the music]
5. refers to one woman but probably references all women dancers at that party
"booty" = butt, behind, ass
6. when the beat drops
(another way of saying 'when the beat kicks in)
From https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110209224756AAUZeUn "What does When The Beat Drops mean?"
Best Answer: Derek, 2010: " when the beat drops.... explains itself. when the first bass or kick hits. WHEN THE BEAT DROPS. lol
anonymous, 2010: "It starts after the buildup to it. It's usually louder or more pronounced than the other components of the beat."
7-11: are all different ways of saying the same thing = get busy and dance sexy/seductively, shake your hips and your butt.
7. "keep swinging it" = "it" means your butt
8. Get jiggy = dance frenetically (in seductive ways)
Information about the word "jiggy" is found in this pancocojams post: http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-jiggy-means-where-that-word-really.html "What "Jiggy" Means & Where That Word REALLY Came From"
9. "get crunked up" = get super-excited
Click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crunk for more about the African American slang term "crunked"
10. percolate - get ready to get hot (even more sexy); using the "prepare, heat up coffee" meaning of the word "percolate"
11. oscillate your hip = swing your hips back and forth (wine)
12. "Me want fi see you get live ‘pon the riddim when me ride" = Jamaican Patois
American English "translations" = I want to see you get live (get really pumped up/get really into the dance; dance really well)
'upon the riddim = dancing to the beat (the music)
when me ride = while I dance holding on to you
13. "And me lyrics a provide electricity" = The lyrics of my song provides electricity (raises the energy in the room)
14. "Gal nobody can tell you nuttin’ = The girl is given a compliment for dancing so well.
"Nobody can tell you nuttin (nothing) means that she dances so well (as though she's an expert) and she dances with such confidence that she doesn't want to or need to learn anything from anyone else.
15. "Can you done know your destiny" = (like you can already know what your life will be like in the future) = She dances with such self-assuredness as though she knows her destiny (what her life will be) and she's secure in that future (happy about that future).
16. - 21. These are Patois comments about women's relationship with/attitudes towards him and his friends (and by extension, about female/male relationships in general)
16. "Yo sexy ladies want par with us" = Hey, sexy ladies want to partner with us (become our woman)
17. "In a the car with us" = (When women are in the car with us (alone with us)
18. "Them nah war with us" = They aren't making war with us (They don't pick fights. They aren't angry with us.)
19. "In a the club them want flex with us" = In the club they want to hang with us (be all close to us)
From http://dancehallflex.page.tl/jamaican-patois-A_Z.htm "Flex="to chill and hang out having a time, to plan an activity"
"chill out"= relax; "having a time" = "having a good (in this case) relaxing time
20. "To get next to us" = to get close to us
21. "Them cah vex with us" = (Patois) They can't get mad/angry with us
[Read the definition for "vex" in the Jamaican patois definition page whose link is given in #19.]
22."From the day me born jah ignite me flame" (Patios) = From the day that I was born, God [Jah] ignited my flame
23. "gal a call me name and its me fame" (Patois) = Girl, all you have to do is call my name and that makes me feel famous (special).
24-28. These are familiar (African American) "lines" (sayings) found in R&B songs and elsewhere that men use to get a woman to "turn him on" (have sex with him)
24. "it's all good" = everything is good (Don't worry about anything).
29. "Woman don’t sweat it" = Don't worry about anything (People often sweat when they're worried).
30. "don’t get agitate just gwaan rotate" (Patois) = Don't get agitated just go on (gwaan) and rotate your hips.
31. "Can anything you want you know you must get it" = You can get anything you want; you know you must get it [with "it" meaning "sex".]
32. [continues from line #31] "From you name a mentuin" (Patios) = from the minute you say your name.
33. "Don’t ease the tension" = continue increasing the intensity
34. "just run the program gals wan pet it" = Just continue doing what you are expected to do; "It" is the male sexual organ.
35. "Just have a good time"
36. "Gal free up unu mind" (African American/Patois) = "free up your mind" (Don't worry about anything)
37. "caw nobody can dis you man won‘t let it can (Patios) = Because no one can disrespect (insult) you. Your man [I] won't let that happen.
38. "You a the number one gal" (Patois) = You're my number one girl. (You're my woman.)
39. "Wave you hand" (Patois) = Wave your hand
40. "Make them see you wedding band (Patois) = [continues from #39] so that people can see your wedding band (wedding ring)
The remainder of the song repeats the words that have already been sung.
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.
Visitor comments are welcome.