Translate

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Three Old School Gospel Videos (with selected comments)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases three African American Gospel videos and one African American/Canadian Gospel video and provides a sample of viewer comments from those videos about "old school" ("classic") Black Gospel.

I didn't attempt to summarize how these commenters described old school Gospel music and worship services. I'll leave it to readers to make their summaries from these selected comments, from other video comments, and other sources, including their personal experiences. Your contributions to such a summary are welcome in the comment section of this post.

This post is part of a continuing pancocojams series on the term "old school" (also writen as "old skool"). Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-old-school-really-means-how-it-got.html for a post on "What Old School REALLY Means & How It Got Those Meanings."

Other posts in this series will showcases songs that predate the contemporary (1990s to date) colloquial meaning of "old school" such as the 19th century religious song "Give Me That Old Time Religion" and the 1960s Rhythm and Blues song "Those Oldies But Goodies". Other posts in this series will showcase the 1994 Hip Hop song "Old School" by Aaliyah, the use of "old school" and comparable terms in African American Gospel music, in R&B music, and the use of "old school" in Caribbean Dancehall music. Those posts will be published ASAP and will be found by clicking the "old school music" tab that is found below.

In addition, a post on the related slang word "throwback" will also be published ASAP. That post will be found by clicking the throwback tab that is found below.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, religious, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composers, arrangers, and people singing these songs. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of these examples on YouTube.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEOS
These videos are presented in no particular order. With the exception of responses, the comments from those videos' viewer comment thread are presented in chronological order based on the year that they were posted in that discussion thread. These comments are numbered for referencing purposes only, and may not be in consecutive order.

Example #1: "Old Time Church" - The Mississippi Mass Choir [Song: I Love The Lord He Heard My Cry"]



malacomg Uploaded on Oct 29, 2010
The Mississippi Mass Choir - "Old Time Church" available at www.malaco.com or by calling 1-800-272-7936.
-snip-
Selected comments from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTggpaBR6o

2011
1. John Palmer
"this viv brings bak alot of memory. i come up in one of those country church. and this take me back to my roots.bless u all"
-snip-
"viv" is probably a typo for "video"

**
2. rmbb10
"Love it; nuthin; like dat ole' skool. This git ya right on thru; down home kuntry stuff."

**
3. serpentinecreature3 years ago
I grew up in this type of church. So good for the soul.Thank you.

**
4. Zazzii Fly
"this is so wonderfully moving to the soul, I love this."

**
2012
5. ReverendBrotherKing
"This is an old meter hymn called "I Love the Lord, He Heard My Cry". The reason the title of this video says "Old Time Church" is because this hymn used to be sung in African American churches "back in the old days". There are quite a few old time meter hymns on YouTube. And by the way, the Mississippi Mass Choir sung the hymn in it's entirety. It can be sung longer or shorter depending on how many times the verses are repeated."

**
6. OrijenoSin, 2013 [reply/related comment]
"Title of song: "I Love The Lord" by: Phillip Carter There are 3 chorus to this song. The chorus sang above is chorus 1. Chorus 1 : "I love the Lord (I love the Lord), He heard my cry (He heard my cry) And pitied every groan Long as I live (Long as I live) And troubles rise (And troubles rise) I'll hasten to His Throne." You can search for the entire lyrics online. Best wishes."

**
2012
7. greatner1
"I am in the Primitive Baptist Church, and we still have church like this. This deacon in the church sings "Travelin Shoes", and it is really something to hear and rejoice by. I am used to this kind of church. Those old hymns are so soul touching. I'm so glad I have this privilege."

**
2013
8. j lo
"Real church music I miss this"

**
9. Tiara Banks
"I'm from Louisiana and they still do this at my church especially when someone is praying! I live in Beaumont, Texas so its hard to find a church here that reminds me of my home church.:

**
10. kkpsi04
"That's Devotion.....and while the choir is singing, the deacon would be on one knee praying...."

**
2014
11. Keywanis Johnson
"You should be able to feel this in your spirit and feel your spirit react to this song."

**
12. G. Marie Tatum
"How many remember singing these meters at church? We did in New Orleans. Little Zion BC, 1st Zion BC, James Chapel BC..."

**
13. Charity Dell
"I Love this old-style-going-back-to-slavery-times CHANTING--a beautiful, soul-filled way
of praying out of the depths of one's spirit...praise God for giving us these melodies and a way to reach him when we go through trials and tribulations..."

2015
14. DOLORES J MITCHELL
"HOW MANY REMEMBER OLD TIME CHURCH, WHEN YOU LEFT YOU KNEW HAD BEEN TO CHURCH---BE BLESSED WITH THIS POWERFUL MESSAGE IN SONG. LOVE YALL"

****
Example #2: "Sunday Morning Medley" - Georgia Mass Choir



malacomg, Uploaded on Nov 2, 2010

Georgia Mass Choir Old Time Religion

Georgia Mass Choir - "Sunday Morning Medley" available at www.malaco.com or by calling 1-800-272-7936.
-snip-
Lead singer's preface to the medley:
..."When you go to church today, hardly can you find people singing Gospel songs. Anybody like them old time songs like we used to sing on Sunday mornin'?. I wanna here you say "Sunday mornin'" (choir and audience says - "Sunday Morning"). Sunday mornin' (Sunday mornin') Sunday mornin' (Sunday mornin'). We gonna take you to Sunday mornin'. Listen"...
-snip-
Selected comments from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtKecd_JFx0

[Read my notes above about how these comments are presented.]

2011
1. SuperRpotter
"Loved it. Can't beat those old songs!!!"

**
2. Melvina Robinson
"Thats that southern gospel sound from :01-:22 i love it! My favorite part is the end with LaShun Pace. i got this on DVD, but i got to find it!"

**
2012
3. Charity Dell
"Love the polyrhythmic clapping..."Clap your hands, all you people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph!" Psalm 47"

**
4. James B
"i just love the double and tripple claps...."

**
2013

**
2014
5. Chris I.
"Old school gospel at its best. Wish choirs still sang like that."

**
6. Glyn Wood
"I am watching this Sunday Morning church crowd and I see old, young, in-betweens really taking this music to heart. Why can't we all watch this and know that ol' skool is wonderful for all ages. Churches can learn a lot by watching this wonderful video"

**
7. EILEEN MILLER
"What memories of growing up in church with these songs!"

**
8. Ruth Sudler
"I love these songs and this is what you call good old fashion gospel music."

**
9. Emily Bolton
"Love tbe old time gospel. Its good for tbe soul."

**
2015
10. Ezra Carter
"That is what we call having church. Old school devotional service."

**
11. Taylar Nelson
"Lol love how the old school music all flowed together. The melody barely changed that shows you PRAISE to whatever melody is given."

****
Example #3: Can't Nobody Do Me Like Jesus



pannellctp, Uploaded on Nov 18, 2010

Rev. James Cleveland Can't Nobody Do Me Like Jesus on the Gospel album
-snip-
Rev. Cleveland's introduction to the song
"I went to a little sanctified church one night. And they sang a little song. And I wanna sing it for you tonight. That little song stayed on my mind. And the words of the little song that I heard the saints singin they said "Can't nobody. Can't nooo... Cani't nobody do me like Jesus.

I wonder if I could get ya to do me a favor for a minute. I wonder if I could getcha to put your pocketbooks down. Make sure you got your money now. Don't never shout without your money. "Cause everybody around you is not saved you know.

I love the sanctified church cause the saints don't mind clapping their hands. They don't mind pattin their feet. They don't mind DANCIN'. Hallelujah.

I want you to come on in the balcony and out here on the main floor, put your hands together. Let's praise God for a minute. Come on!"
-snip-
Selected comments from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBK9np69W3A

[Read my notes above about how these comments are presented.]

2010
1. lovrofgoodmusic
"I LOVE DIS VIDEO!! THANK U 4 REPOSTING THIS BACK ON DA UTUBE!!! THAT WAS SUM GOOD OL' FASHION SANCTIFIED CHURCH!!! MUSICIANS ANNOINTED AS WELL!! I WISH CHURCH WAS STILL LIKE THAT!! WE MISS U REV. CLEVELAND REST-IN-PEACE!! (richmond,va)"

**
2. ss6384140
"I would hate to hear these new artist remake this song. I would hate to hear Tye Tribbett, Kirk franklin and others do this song b/c the musicianship would totally butcher this song. With the singers tryin to be cute and the musicans trying to out play one another. Musicians and singers like this wasnt tryin to be cute but anointed!! I miss the old skool music like this. Thank Rev. Cleveland & others I truly miss yall!!"

**
3. Vonsha Brown
"This is the late Rev Cleveland at his best.Say what you will or may and I'm a 41 year old COGIC kid in Georgia when I think of "Gospel Music" in its "Classic" form I'm old enough to recall Mattie Moss Clark,Rev James Cleveland,Isaac Douglass and I could go on.No electric sliding on stage no over the top theatrics just giving praise to God in the "Beauty of Holiness" I love my singers of today but this is Church and then some."

**
4. pannellctp
"...The modern day gospel has no feeling just a lot of jumping around and making noise."

**
5. Akeem Adams
in reply to pannellctp
"@pannellctp Amen and Amen. I wish it would go back to the way it used to be. Back to Mahalia, Rosetta, Shirley, Albertina, Inez, James, Thomas A. Dorsey. You'll know the greats."

**
2011
6. nett1eb
"...I grew up in a Pentacostal BAPTIST church! We had service like this almost eeerrrrrrr Sunday!!! We tore it up for the LORD! My Pastor was truly a word preaching Pastor filled with the Holy Spirit. God rest his soul. Like James Cleveland, we welcomed all at our church, no denominations segregation. Just those who believed in and Praised the true and living God!! and that was back in the day. I don't know WHAT has become of today's church. Pray!"

**
7. Tammy112359
"Oh my GOD I simply love it this is the kinda Holy ghost music that use to get me through some tough times in my younger years and now that Iam older and finally got a computer and youtube upload and can find alot of the back in the day gospel I use to listen, get my praise on like crazy and stomp on that devil on a constant in Jesus name amen!!!"

**
8. Strick Strickland
"This is the soul-wrenching gospe you don't hear anymore. The kind to bring you closer to God."

**
9. Ladykeys07
"I used to watch this vhs tape with my granny when I was younger, and I loved the drummer. The Spirit hit him and he didn't want to stop playing. I loved it. A good drummer always have a extra pair of sticks!!!!!"

**
10. nett1eb
"OMGooodness!!!! I sooooo MISS Havin church like this!!!!! Yes, this is the way you HAVE CHURCH!!!!!!! Til the musicians and eeeerrrrrrbody was full of the Holy Ghost/Spirit!!!!! Yes Lord, Yes Lord!!!! Anointed singing, music, and clapping!! You gotta KNOW how to CLAP Saints!!!!! It's all holyghost-filled! You can feel it ALLL OVER YOU!! We miss the great Gospel Legends that allowed the holyspirit and the anointing to have His Way. God bless the posting of this powerful song and the Man of God"

**
2012
11. Klyons60
"im 15 years old and this is that ole time churcha yes i had to get up and shout wooohooo"

**
2013
12. MegaBlackisBeautiful
"what happend to gospel like this"

**
13. Gabriel Edwards
"I'm 16 years old and I have never been to a church that can get down like this. I guess because too many of em' play church nowadays. I can't stop dancing in my chair the music is so good. We need more people who can get down like this! New school music just ain't getting like this is! And the CHURCH!"

**
14. brenda williams
in reply to Gabriel Edwards
"I admire you for being 16 yrs old and saying the new school music just not it! You are so right. See i am old school and my pastor was my uncle so i practically LIVED at church, and boy we sang all these kind of songs. But believe me we have some churches out their still praising God like the old school ones! I am in one still like this , i pray that God leads you to one in your city thats praising God just like this too! They are out there you just have to find it sweetie, be blessed!"

**
15. TheFabiluvshion
"They was gettin it In Amen!!! I miss a tambourine in my hand and ole school church and music like this where the Holy Spirit takeover smh!!!"

**
16. MegaBlackisBeautiful
"thats right gospel is definitely not what it should be its like they gone Hollywood now its time to stop entertaining and start ministering to the souls"

**
17. MrDjDaredevil
in reply to MegaBlackisBeautiful
"IT DISAPPEARED NOW CATS JUST RAP AND SING R&B, AND BRAKE DANCE IN THE CHURCH THAT MESS DOES NOT BELONG IN A CHURCH ENVIRONMENT. THIS VIDEO IS REAL GOSPEL MUSIC.IT IS A SHAME THAT REAL GOSPEL MUSIC HAVE FADED AWAY.THIS IS WHY I TELL PEOPLE TO HOLD ON TO THEIR CLASSIC GOSPEL RECORDINGS BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT HEAR THE CLASSICS EVEN ON GOSPEL RADIO NO MORE.UN LESS THEIR GOSPEL RADIO STATION STILL HAVE IT AVAILABLE."

**
18. Don Sparks
"There is no question that the HOLY GHOST IS REAL! this video was made in the 70's but my spirit rejoices and praise God like I was at that concert or should I say I felt like I was in Church listening to this song. The Spirit of God is real...!!!"

**
19. psalm124
in reply to Don Sparks
"Well said .... no matter how old the song it, it can still touch you! Jesus the same yesterday, today and forevermore!"

**
20. Diamond Thomas
"got this on tape :) its a movie called the gospel"
-snip-
This concert was filmed in 1982.

**
21. Kenneth Smith
"If any of you get a chance purchase or watch this entire concert DVD. One of the greatest Gospel music concert videos ever. Rev. James Cleveland, Shirley Caesar, The Mighty Clouds of Joy, The Clark Sisters, & The Hawkins Family (while still singing together). Man I can't help but praise God when I watch it. Gospel music has become too commercialized now. Like the days when in these concerts we see yokes being broken rejoicing in the Lord, not worried about how our hair or clothing looks"

**
22. Kaprice Parker
"Why can't my generation gospel artist make a song like this every now and then. I love old school gospel.."

**
23. Phyllis Whitfield
in reply to ShayROsie
"I know thats right - nowadays its so contemporary that there's no testimonial praise in the house b/c its all about entertainment. Don't get me wrong I like some of the songs today and they're good in their place - but these types of songs get you to a place of praise that makes you forget about everything and everybody b/c you thinking about Him and what's He's done. "CAN'T NOBODY DO ME LIKE JESUS!""

**
2014
24. Artemis Raven
"I miss those sanctified churches. I came from one and we used to really get down. My old church was like this. The spirit used to show up when ever this song was sung. Memories of my grandmother."

**
25. the1realesther
"Never seen anything like this! Gone are the days when musicians play in the Holy Ghost. Much talent but not anointing."

**
26. caleene100
"STUMPING MY FEET, CLAPPING MY HANDS, SHAKING MY HEAD, DANCING AROUND.............LOVE ITTTTTTTTT. I REALLY FEEL OLD, REMEMBER THIS SONG FR BACK IN THE DAYS, WHEN CHURCH WAS JUST A TENT IN THE FIELD....HOW FAR WE'VE COME. THANK YOU FATHER"

**
27. Shanelle Gillis
"My church is still a spirit filled Holy Ghost tongue talking shouting and foot stomping church, and we sing these old songs all the time! it's the only ones we sing! Thank you Jesus for Apostolic Pentecostal churches still like ours!!! God Bless!!!"

**
28. Chris I.
"Love me some songs sang by the great "James Cleveland. That's what old school gospel was about back in the day. Wish church was like that nowadays."

**
29. James Rae
"I still feel the power of this worship concert all these years later, The power of The Holy Ghost, Thank you Our Lord Jesus Christ for our people then and now Amen"

**
30. vic stoc
"Thank you so much for posting this vid is a great blessing
The Holy Ghost Took Over the song and the anointing came down."

**
31. christina valadez
"OH MY GOD.!!! THIS IS AWESOME,, THE DRUMMER IS AWESOME..!!!!!"

**
32. Shamar Chang
"this is what you call playing under the anointing of the Holy Ghost

33. Andrew Davis1
"Certainly that new style contemporary gospel music will NEVER be able to compete with this old time style of music. They just don't have it.. So please step back!."

**
2015
33. Robert Hill
"Classic one,Brings back so much memories,remember when I use to whip my mothers bed like I was playing the drums"

**
34. Cynthia Abrams
...old SCHOOL is the best from the 1960's...we have morals and values...and we r covered by GODS shield!!!!"

**
35. Blanche Barajas
"I grew up in an Apostolic Church like this, I moved to the state of Washington and even though I have found an Apostolic church, it is not like what I grew up with at all. I want my children to experience what I did. Please can anyone tell me where a church in the Tri-Cities, WA area like this is at. I love me my ol' time songs and praises." 

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment