Translate

Monday, February 23, 2015

Examples Of "Glory Glory Hallelujah (Since I Laid My Burdens Down" (various arrangements)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a two part pancocojams series on the African American religious song "Glory Glory Hallelujah Since I Laid My Burden Down" (also known as "Since I Laid My Burden Down").

Part I showcases eight examples of different arrangements of "Glory Glory Hallelujah" as performed by African American vocalists, groups, and choirs.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/02/examples-of-glory-glory-hallelujah_23.html for Part II of this post.

Part II showcases four examples of performances of that song that use James Hall's arrangement and two examples of performances of that song that use New Directions' arrangement.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who featured in this post. Thanks also to the publishers of these examples on YouTube and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

This series was inspired by the song "Glory" by Common & John Legend. That song from the 2014 movie Selma, was awarded an Oscar for Best Song at the 2015 Academy Awards ceremony.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/02/common-john-legend-glory-examples.html for a pancocojams post about that song.

The song "Glory" (from the movie "Selma") and the gospelized Spiritual " Glory Glory Hallelujah" also calls to mind "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic" with its lyrics "Glory Glory Hallelujah/His truth is marching on". Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jRnL6fRdcc for a performance of this song by the U.S. Army Chorus.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THIS SONG
"Glory Glory Hallelujah (Since I Laid My Burdens Down" is what I refer to as a "gospelized spiritual", meaning an African American Spiritual which is performed in a Gospel style. The performances that are showcased in this series are only a small sample of how "Glory Glory Hallelujah" has been sung.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory,_Glory_(Lay_My_Burden_Down)
"Glory, Glory" (also known as "When I Lay My Burden Down", "Since I Laid My Burden Down", "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah" and other titles) is an American spiritual song, which has been recorded by many artists in a variety of genres, including folk, country, blues, rock, and gospel.
-snip-
Click http://ncfmusic.com/media/ext/lyrics/Glory_glory_hallelujah_lyrics.pdf for standard lyrics to this song.

****
FEATURED EXAMPLES
These examples are presented in chronological order based on their publishing dates on YouTube with the examples with the oldest dates presented first.

Example #1: Furry Lewis - When I lay my burden down



vleb Uploaded on Mar 7, 2006

Furry Lewis plays "When I lay my burden down" in a unusual way, Bukka White being in the audience

****
Example #2: Miami Mass Choir - Glory, Glory



Ministry Through Song!, Uploaded on Jun 1, 2009
-snip-
Here's a comment from this sound file's viewer comment thread:
Bianca Walker, 2009
"Thats what im talking bout....old time church."

****
Example #3: Peaceful Zion Mass Choir - Since I Laid My Burdens Down



MajorMelly, Uploaded on Aug 28, 2009

Peaceful Zion Baptist Church mass choir sings a powerful and soul-stirring gospel rendition of "Since I Laid My Burdens Down", led by Velda Virgil. This is at the 106th Annual Florida East Cost Baptist Convention on February 9, 2009. Dr. C. P. Preston, Pastor

****
Example #4: Since I laid my burdens down -MOLF choir



Angela Walker, Uploaded on Jan 6, 2010
-snip-
Here are two comments from this video's viewer comment thread:
Angela Walker, 2012
"That is the Monument of Love Fellowship Choir, from San Diego, Calif. name of the Church was Monument of Love Fellowship Church, San Diego,CA"

**
Louis Corder, 2011
"I was looking for the old people version, but I've never heard that before. That was really great! Now we're going to have to learn it. Whooh! Great energy!"

****
Example #5: Since I've Laid My Burdens Down Mississippi John Hurt



leanannsidhe, Uploaded on May 5, 2010

****
Example #6: The Staple Singers ::::: Glory,Glory,Hallelujah.


SixtiesOnly, Uploaded on Feb 10, 2011

The Staple Singers were an American gospel, soul, and R&B singing group. Roebuck "Pops" Staples (1914--2000), the patriarch of the family, formed the group with his children Cleotha (b. 1934), Pervis (b. 1935), Yvonne (b. 1936), and Mavis (b. 1939). They are best known for their 1970s hits "I'll Take You There", "Respect Yourself", and "Let's Do It Again".

****
Example #7: ""Glory Glory Hallelujah "Since I laid my Burdens Down!!"" 7/3/11



W.C.MCCLINTON CHRISTIAN NEWS T.V. Uploaded on Jul 5, 2011

""Glory Hallelujah since I laid my Burdens Down!!""
Sis. Titka Cooper and Bertha Thomas
37th st Baptist Church [Oakland, California]

****
Example #8: Glory, Glory Hallelujah! (Since I laid my burdens down)


Rogerjaeb1952, Published on Mar 24, 2012

Johnnie Settle Ensemble featuring Da bishop Darrell Hedrick

****
This completes Part I of this series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment