Translate

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Heavenly Kingdom Kids - "Nagwode" & SuperKids - "Nagode Allah"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post features videos of two Nigerian children's groups singing a song praising God. The song by Heavenly Kingdom Kids is entitled "Nagwode". The song by SuperKids is entitled "Nagode Allah". According to a commenter on the discussion thread of the
featured Heavenly Kingdom Kids video "They're singing nagwode allah, which means thank you God in the Hausa language(thank you- nagwode) and Allah. They are Christians from the igbo tribe of eastern Nigeria. In Nigeria, we sing and praise God in different languages regardless of where you come from." [Hilly Thomas, August 2014].

I think that "Nagode" is another way to spell the Hausa language word "Nagwode". The SuperKids group is also Christian.

Although these two songs have a similar title and both refer to God using the Hausa word "Allah" (which comes from Arabic)*, the songs have different lyrics and tunes.

*Most Hausa people are Muslims.

****
The content of this post is presented for cultural, religious, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Heavenly Kingdom Kids and SuperKids for their musical legacies. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post, and all those who are featured in these videos. Thanks also to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION SOUGHT ABOUT THESE GROUPS
I'd like to add more information about both of these groups, such as when the groups started, the names of the members of each group,
and their current ages of these singers.

Please share any information that you know about these groups.
Thanks! 

****
FEATURED VIDEOS

Example #1: Nagwode - Heavenly Kingdom Kids



CHORDSvision Page, Published on Mar 20, 2013
-snip-
I believe that the main language for this song is Igbo. However, the lyrics that are transposed on the video screen are
primarily given in English.

Here are the introduction, the chorus, and the verses of that song.Additions and corrections are welcome.

LYRICS: NAGWODE [Thank You]
[as sung by Heavenly Kingdom Kids]

Introduction:
Lead singer: Praise the Lord!
The rest of the group - [Hallelujah!]
The Lord is good.
[All the time].
Thank you ooo [oh]

Chorus:
Thank you Lord Jesus, thank You.
Thank You, thank you, thank You.
For what You have done for me.
That's why I am saying thank You.

Muche Nagwode Allah.
Thank you Lord Jesus, thank You.
For what You have done for me.
That's why I am saying thank You.

[Repeat the chorus several times with the lead & group parts]

[Spoken:]
Praise the Lord for He is good.
For His mercies endureth forever.
For what You have done for us, Jesus.
That's why we say, "Come and receive Glory".
We are saying "Thank You Sir, You've done well.
Receive all praise in Jesus' name, Amen.

[Sung]
Lead singer - Thanks, You've done well.
Group - [My King, You've done well.]
Thank You.
Thank You, Lord Jesus, thank You.
For what You have done for me.
That's why I'm saying "Thank You."

Chorus [repeated several times]

[spoken]
Lead - Praise the Lord!
Group - Halleluya!
Lead - Our Lord is good.
Group - All the time.
Lead - All the time
Group - Our Lord is good.
Lead - Thank You, Jesus, for what You have done.
Lead -Children.
Group- Yes, Aunty.
Lead - Do you like this?
Group - I like that.
Lead - Do you like this?

[repeat those last two lines several times]

Chorus [repeat several times with the lead & group parts]
-snip-
The words "Thank You Sir' and "Thanks, You've done well" aren't how most American English speakers would phrase those sentiments. However, Psalms 126-3 says "God has done great things". Those wordd mean the same thing as those lyrics from the song "Nagwode".

Also, "The Lord is good/ All the time" that is given as a call and response lines is very similar to the call & response saying among African American Christians. The first part of that saying is "God is good". People respond to those words by immediately saying "All the time".

****
Example #2: The Superkids - Nagode Allah

thesuperkids, Published on Feb 21, 2014
-snip-
A summary of another one of this group's videos indicates that the lead singer Adaeze is seven years old (2014).

Here's my transcription of this song:
(Additions and corrections are welcome.)

LYRICS: NAGODE ALLAH
(as sung by SuperKids)

Chorus:
Nagode Allah (Thank you, God]
Forever You are my number one.
Allah [God]
Nagode Yesu (Thank you, Jesus]
Forever You are my number one.
Yesu [Jesus]

[Repeat the chorus a number of times.]

Thank you, Father.
Thank you, Jesus.
Thank you, Holy Spirit.
You are my teacher.
You are my writer.
You are the voice that sings my songs.

Chorus

Yes, I like butterflies
Colors like rainbows
Shining like super stars

[repeat]

Thank you.

[Instrumental]

Bless my daddy.
Bless my mommy.
Bless the friends all over the world.

Bless my teachers.
Bless my preachers.
Bless my friends all over this town.

Chorus

Thank you Jesus for caring for me.
Thank you Jesus for blessing my mommy and my daddy.
Thank you Lord Jesus for blessing my brothers and my sisters.
Thank you for all my friends all over the world.
Lord, please bless us.
Nagode [Thank you] Jesus.
Jesus Lord, You're my number one!

Nagode Allah (Thank you, God]
Forever You are my number one.
Allah [God]
Nagode Yesu (Thank you, Jesus]
Forever You are my number one.
Yesu [Jesus]

Nagode Allah [Thank you, God]
Forever You are my number one.
Allah [God]
Nagode Yesu [Thank you, Jesus]
Forever You are my number one.
Yesu [Jesus]

Allah [God], Thank You
Yesu [Jesus], thank You.
Allah [God], thank You.

[repeat]
-snip-
* These lyrics are from the introduction, chorus, and verses of this song that are transposed on the video screen. The chorus is repeated throughout the song.

Other videos of The SuperKids give the group name as "Adaeze and the Superkids". Adaeze is the lead singer of the SuperKids group.
"Adaeze" is an Igbo female name that means "princess".

The official website of that group [http://www.superkidsmusic.com/index.htm] lists "Adaeze" as the lead singer, provides her full name and her parents' full names. These are Igbo language names. Also, a commenter on the discussion thread of
another video of this group indicates that the subtitles for that song are in the Igbo language. Given all of that information, I believe that the members of the SuperKids group are Igbos from Eastern Nigeria.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment