Translate

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Fame Movie's Version Of The Christian Hymn "Never Alone"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a sound file of & lyrics to the Fame Gospel Choir's gospelized rendition of the 1897 Christian hymn "Never Alone". Click http://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/688 for an instrumental only example of the standard arrangement of this song.

Fame is the title of a 1980 American movie about a fictionalized group of students who attend the New York Music & Arts High School. That movie was later adapted and presented as a television series.

The content of this post is presented for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Ludie D. Pickett, the composer of the hymn "Never Alone" (1897) and thanks to the arranger, singers, and musicians of this gospelized version of "Never Alone". In addition, thanks to the publisher of this sound file on YouTube and thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
SHOWCASE SOUNDFILE: Fame Gospel Choir - Never Alone



Hans vd Linden, Uploaded on Aug 2, 2011

If you want to buy this song or album: http://amzn.to/KeKOnJ

"Never Alone" - performed by the Contemporary Gospel chorus of the High School of music and art. A underestimated but uplifting song from the 1980's movie "Fame". A song of comfort for everyone who feels (or thinks he/she is) lost and lonely.

Never Alone Lyrics:

I've seen the lightning flashing, I've heard the thunder roll
I've felt sin's breakers dashing, trying to conquer my soul
I've heard the voice of Jesus telling me to fight on
He promised never to leave me, no, never alone

Never alone, never alone, oh, never
Never alone, never alone
He'll never leave you alone

The world's fierce winds are blowing, temptations sharp and keen
I felt a peace in knowing my Savior stands between
He stands to shield me from danger when earthly friends are gone
He promised never to leave me, no, never alone

Never alone, never alone, oh, never
Never alone, never alone
He'll never leave you alone

He'll never leave you alone

When in affliction's valley, I'm treading the road with care
My Savior helps me to carry a cross too heavy to bear
My feet entangled with briers, ready to cast me down

He'll never leave you alone

When in affliction's valley, I'm treading the road with care
My Savior helps me to carry a cross too heavy to bear
My feet entangled with briers, ready to cast me down

He'll never leave you alone

Never, never, never
Never, never, never
Never, never, never

Oh, He'll never leave you alone

Photograph by Shorpy: October 1938. Crowley, Louisiana. "Crowd of people waiting for Cajun band contest to begin at the National Rice Festival." Nnegative by Russell Lee for the Farm Security Administration.
-snip-
From http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/sounds/Hymns/never_alone.htm: The lyrics to the Christian hymn "Never Alone" was composed by Ludie D. Pickett (1897)

Here are several comments about this rendition of "Never Alone" from that sound file's discussion thread:

arweiss100, 2012
"This is the official version performed by the Contemporary Gospel Chorus of the High School of music and art on the Official Original motion picture soundtrack & in the film, "Fame". One of my favorite songs all my life. Just an amazing song of sublime power, beauty, & grace, so uplifting & inspiring..as this choir raises their voices to the sky."

**
arweiss100, 2012
"1:24 amazing what just an upright piano & tambourine can say and it can lift you up."

**
edumup1 year ago
in reply to arweiss100
"Don't leave out the handclapping as well."

**
mshawk2ee2 years ago
in reply to arweiss100
"with a good old-fashioned polyclap!!"

**
Andrea Wright, 2013
"I went to Music & Art from 1979-1982. Was in the Gospel Chorus. This Gospel Chorus!! Not an easy song to sing but the end result......well you can hear it!! Thanks to Anthony Evans & Curtis Smith (Muzic Maykr)!!! Trying to find more of our music"

**
delocon36, 2013
"This was the B side of the original 7" vinyl disc of the signature song Fame from first release 81 or 82 v love this song since I was a kid, memories"

**
Joi Atkins, 2014
in reply to delocon36
"Fame" was sung by Irene Cara from same movie, released 1980; this is the B side of same, and the one side I listened to often, as you can hear why from the uplifting gospel lyrics and beat.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

4 comments:

  1. I have loved this since I was a teenager. I'd love to do this with my choir. I've searched for the score with no luck. All I've found is the piano vocal score. No parts. Any ideas? Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, SarahGregg Currie.

      I'm sorry. I don't know where to find the score to the movie Fame's version of "Never Alone".

      I've loved that version ever since I heard it in that movie.

      I hope you find that score for your choir.

      One love!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your post from years ago. I needed it today! This Gospel version has been in my head for 41 years. And now I know the words, the author, and the original arranger. Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Unknown.

      I love this song. I'm glad I could share this rendition of "Never Alone" as well as information about that song.

      Remember this song and keep on keeping on!

      Delete