Translate

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Examples Of "Jesus Loves Me" In American Sign Language (ASL)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post provides information about, and lyrics for the Christian Hymn "Jesus Loves Me". Five videos of that song are showcased in this post. Three of these examples are instructional videos. The fourth example features a mother and daughter singing and signing this song, and the fifth example features children singing "Jesus Loves Me" and signing the chorus of that song.

A Bonus video in this post is of children signing "Jesus Loves Me" in South African Sign Language.

The content of this post is provided for religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks also those who are featured in these videos. Thanks to all those quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of these videos on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE SONG "JESUS LOVES ME"
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Loves_Me
"Jesus Loves Me" is a Christian hymn written by Anna Bartlett Warner (1827–1915).[1] The lyrics first appeared as a poem in the context of an 1860 novel called Say and Seal, written by her older sister Susan Warner (1819–1885), in which the words were spoken as a comforting poem to a dying child.[2] The tune was added in 1862 by William Batchelder Bradbury (1816–1868). Along with his tune, Bradbury added his own chorus "Yes, Jesus loves me, Yes, Jesus Loves me..."[3] After publication as a song it became one of the most popular Christian hymns in churches around the world.[4]"
-snip-
That Wikipedia articles two versions of the lyrics of "Jesus Loves Me" - the original words written by Anna Bartlett Warner and words written by William Batchelder Bradbury. There are other versions for that song including the lyrics sung by the children in Example #1 given below:

Jesus loves me. This I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me. He will stay.
Close besides me all the way.
Heaven's gate to open wide;
He's prepared a home for me
And some day His face I'll see.

Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
The Bible tells me so.
-snip-
I learned this song in the 1950s (Atlantic City, New Jersey) with the word "For" at the beginning of the last line. However, that version of that line doesn't appear to be commonly sung.

Two other common verses for this song are

Jesus loves me. He who died
Heaven's gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.

and

Jesus loves me when I'm good.
When I do the things I should.
Jesus loves me when I'm bad,
But it makes Him oh so sad.

****
FEATURED VIDEOS

Example #1: Jesus Loves Me in American Sign Language



Trudy Callan, Uploaded on May 1, 2011

American Sign Language to Jesus Loves Me - Instructional video

****
Example #2: Jesus Loves Me-Learn to Sign



canadianqueen76, Uploaded on Aug 23, 2011

I show the signs used to sign Jesus Loves Me. Later in the video, I sign along with music. For the word, For... I use the sign for "why." So, it translates: Why? The Bible says so. I didn't explain that in the video. Signing the words exactly how the songwriter wrote them can be referred to as Signed English. ASL has a distinct "gloss" and is not simply signing English. As I learn more about ASL sentence constructs, I will move toward more difficult songs.

****
Example #3: Jesus Loves me in ASL for Wendy Hand Everhart



Matthew Hand, Uploaded on Jan 30, 2011

Kate Carlin Signs Jesus Loves Me

****
Example #4: Jesus Loves Me This I Know With Sign Language ~ Children's Music, Songs & Nursery Rhymes



Shelby Barone, Uploaded on Nov 19, 2008

Shelby and her daughter Ella with Glitterful Felt Stories singing the song Jesus Loves Me This I Know while using sign language!

****
Example #5: Gospel Bible Songs - Jesus loves me [with lyrics]



Cibertracker Imperium, Uploaded on Dec 17, 2011

****
BONUS VIDEO

Children singing and signing Jesus Loves Me in Sign language.



handswithwords, Published on Aug 21, 2012


Introducing Hands with Words, a Christian ministry to the deaf community in South Africa. This video introduces some children singing and signing Jesus Loves Me in South African Sign language.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment