Translate

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Rev. Clay Evans & The AARC Mass Choir -" I've Got A Testimony!" (video & lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases the song "I Got A Testimony" by Rev. Clay Evans & The AARC Mass Choir.

As background to that song, this post provides information and comments about the religious meaning of "testify" ("give a testimony") in African American churches and in other churches.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, religious, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post. Thanks to Rev. Clay Evans for his religious, civil rights, and musical legacy. Thanks also to all those who are featured on this video, and thanks to the publisher of this YouTube video.

****
THE RELIGIOUS MEANING OF "HAVING A TESTIMONY"
From http://theoldblackchurch.blogspot.com/2008/12/i-got-testimony.html "I Got A Testimony!
"Who remember those "Testimony Sunday Service" where you get the chance to share with your fellow brother and sisters the things God has been doing in your life or the life of someone you loved? Have the saints of God stop giving "Personal Testimonies" on Sunday morning, if so why? Each day we wake up that's a testimony in itself.

I am from the (First Missionary Baptist) traditional baptist church and I don't recall many testimonies during my early years. But I do remember visiting the COGIC on many of Sundays and you're sure to here from some sister or brother who had a testimony. I believe testimonies are very important because they offers others hope when it may seems hopeless. Testimonies help others who might be on the verge of giving up. With the crisis we are facing now we need to start encouraging each other more."
-snip-
This quote was reformatted to enhance its readability.

"Saints" = in the context of this quote means "members of the church; believers in Jesus Christ"

"COGIC" = Church of God In Christ, a predominately African American Pentecostal denomination.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/02/what-testify-giving-testimony-means-in.html
for more definitions and comments about testifying (giving a testimony) in church.

****
SHOWCASE SONG: I Got a Testimony-What a Fellowship Hour-Rev. Clay Evans



BrothaRollins, Published on Aug 10, 2017

Classic footage of the What a FELLOWSHIP Hour of Rev. Dr. Clay Evans and the Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church of Chicago, Illinois. Singing that Classic Sunday Morning " I GOT A TESTIMONY"
-snip-
"[Rev. Clay Evan's] 1995 recording I’ve Got a Testimony earned him the Stellar Gospel Music Award for Album of the Year in 1996". http://www.blackpast.org/aah/reverend-clay-evans-1925

Click that blackpast.org link for biographical information about Rev. Clay Evans.
-snip-
This video replaces the original video that was published in this post: ev. Clay Evans & The AARC Mass Choir 1996: The Best Of The Stellar Awards!" published by MsQueenPattiTv on Oct 18, 2012 [This video is no longer available as of 11/4/2018, if not earlier]

****
LYRICS: I'VE GOT A TESTIMONY
(as sung by Rev. Clay Evans & The AARC Mass Choir!" I've Got A Testimony!" 1996!")

SOLOIST:
As I look back over my life
And I think things over I can truly say that I've been blessed
I've got a testimony
(REPEAT)

CHOIR:
When I look back over my life
And I think things over I can truly say that I've been blessed
I've got a testimony
(REPEAT)

SOLOIST:
Sometimes I couldn't see my way through
But the Lord He brought me out
Right now I'm free
I've got the victory
I've got a testimony
(REPEAT)

CHOIR:
When I look back over my life
And I think things over I can truly say that I've been blessed
I've got a testimony
(REPEAT)

I have a testimony (2x)
I have a testimony (2x) [up]
(repeat this section as desired)

VAMP

Source: http://www.lyricsmania.com/ive_got_a_testimony_lyrics_rev_clay_evans_and_the_aarc_mass_choir.htmlI have a testimony

****
PARTIAL TRANSCRIPTION OF THE VAMP IN The VIDEO (as sung by Rev. Clay Evans & The AARC Mass Choir!" I've Got A Testimony!" 1996!")
Lead: Wait ah minute
I want to tell you what the Lord did for me.
Do you know what He did?
He picked me up
turned me around.
Placed my feet on higher ground
If you don’t believe I’ve been redeemed
Just follow me down to Jordan’s stream.
I jumped in the water
The water was cold.
It chilled my body
But not my soul.
I wish you’d been there
when I came through
The church Is on fire
With the Holy Ghost too
Oh I got a testimony
Choir: I got a testimony etc.
-snip-
Transcription by Azizi Powell; Italics means that I'm not certain of these words. Additions and corrections are welcome.

****
Meaning of Musical Vamp = (verb) "To improvise (an accompaniment, for example) for a solo;
To improvise simple accompaniment or variation of a tune. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vamp

Vamp (noun) = the portion of a song which is improvised. In a vamp there are no fixed words for the lead (soloist), and fixed words for the response (choir). In Gospel songs that have a vamp, that vamping) occurs toward the end of the rendition of that song. Notice that in the partial transcription below, the vamp consist of a series of floating two lined verses from other Gospel songs.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment