Translate

Monday, October 21, 2013

Jimmy Cliff - "Many Rivers To Cross" 1969 Classic Reggae Song


worldsgreatestmusic ,May 29, 2008

hope you are finding your way over

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest revision- July 18, 2023

This pancocojams post showcases Reggae singer Jimmy Cliff's stellar 1969 composition "Many Rivers To Cross".

The content of this post is presented for historical and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to Jimmy Cliff for his musical legacy and thanks to the publisher of the example of "Many Rivers To Cross" on YouTube. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post. 

****
INFORMATION ABOUT JIMMY CLIFF AND INFORMATION ABOUT THIS SONG 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Cliff:
"Jimmy Cliff, OM (born James Chambers, 1 April 1948) is a Jamaican musician, singer and actor. He is the only currently living musician to hold the Order of Merit, the highest honour that can be granted by the Jamaican government for achievement in the arts and sciences.

Cliff is best known among mainstream audiences for songs such as "Wonderful World, Beautiful People", "The Harder They Come," "Sitting in Limbo", "You Can Get It If You Really Want" and "Many Rivers to Cross" from the soundtrack to The Harder They Come, which helped popularize reggae across the world;[2] and his covers of Cat Stevens' "Wild World" and Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now" from the film Cool Runnings. He starred in the film The Harder They Come. Cliff was one of five performers inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010."...

****
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many_Rivers_to_Cross:
"Many Rivers to Cross" is a song written in 1969 by Jimmy Cliff.

This is one of the few Cliff tracks to use an organ, which helps to supplement the gospel feel provided by the backing vocalists. Cliff released the song, with production work by Leslie Kong, on his 1969 album, Jimmy Cliff. It was also released on the 1972 soundtrack album for the film The Harder They Come, in which Cliff also starred. Rolling Stone ranked it #317 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

The song is featured in the 2013 film Rush.[1]

****
LYRICS: MANY RIVERS TO CROSS
(Jimmy Cliff)

Many rivers to cross
But I can't seem to find my way over
Wandering I am lost
As I travel along the white cliffs of dover

Many rivers to cross
And it's only my will that keeps me alive
I've been licked, washed up for years
And I merely survive because of my pride

And this loneliness won't leave me alone
It's such a drag to be on your own
My woman left me and she didn't say why
Well, I guess I'll have to cry

Many rivers to cross
But just where to begin I'm playing for time
There have been times I find myself
Thinking of committing some dreadful crime

Yes, I've got many rivers to cross
But I can't seem to find my way over
Wandering, I am lost
As I travel along the white cliffs of Dover

Yes, I've got many rivers to cross
And I merely survive because of my will...

Source: http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/hardertheycome/toomanyriverstocross.htm

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment