Translate

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Kizingo SDA Youth Choir - Rock Of Ages, I Am Hidden In Thee

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post features a video of the Kizingo Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) Youth Choir of Mombasa, Kenya singing the song "Rock Of Ages, I Am Hidden In Thee". The lyrics to that song-as found in that video-are included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for religious, anthropological, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

This is a companion piece to the following pancocojams post:
http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/08/seven-gospel-songs-from-kenyan.html. Note the statement that I made in that post about some of my anthropological interests in these types of videos.

****
FEATURED VIDEO

Kizingo SDA Youth Choir Mombasa-Nina Raha



Calvince Ochar, Published on Feb 1, 2013

I am happy to be hidden under the Rock of Ages. A touching song by Kizingo SDA Youth choir from Mombasa Kenya.
-snip-
I'm not sure if this song should be categorized as "Gospel" in the African American definition of that word. Instead, it seems to me that this song is a good example of what I call an "African Hymn" as it seems clearly to have been based on the 18th century English hymn "Rock Of Ages."

The pancocojams post http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/08/traditional-hymn-and-gospel-renditions.html featured one American traditional hymn and three American Gospel renditions of that song.

****
LYRICS - ROCK OF AGES, I AM HIDDEN IN THEE

I have joy in the Rock of Ages
In my tribulations I run to thee
I am a sinner, but I’m yours;
Rock of Ages, I am hidden in thee
I am a sinner, but I’m yours;
Rock of Ages, I am hidden in thee

[repeat all of above lyrics 1x]

[CHORUS]
Soloist: I am hiding I am hiding
Choir: Rock of Ages, I’m hidden in thee.
Soloist: I am hiding I am hiding
Choir: Rock of Ages, I’m hidden in thee.

[repeat all of these lyrics 4 times]

[Instrumental]

In times of peace or sorrow
When temptations abound
In life’s uncertainties I came to thee
Rock of Ages, I am hidden in thee
In life’s uncertainties I came to thee
Rock of Ages, I am hidden in thee

[repeat all of these lyrics 1x]

CHORUS
[repeat four times]

[instrumental]

When defeated in life’s struggles
I hold on to grace and hope
In trials I stand on thee
Rock of Ages, I am hidden in thee

In trials I stand on thee
Rock of Ages, I am hidden in thee

[repeat all of above lyrics 1x]

CHORUS
[repeat multiple times]

-snip-
These lyrics were superimposed on the video. Additions & corrections are welcome.

I'm unsure if this is the correct title for this song. I selected that title based on the use of that line in the chorus (I added the word "chorus" and the instructions that are found in brackets.)

****
Thanks to the composer/s of this featured song. Thanks also to those who are quoted in this post, thanks to those choir members and musicians who appeared in these videos and thanks to the publisher of this featured video.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment