Translate

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority - "I Love My DST" ("I Love My D In Front Of My S" etc. Examples & Videos)

Edited by Azizi Powell

[Updated - June 28, 2017]

This pancocojams post showcases four video & text examples of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. chant "I Love My DST". "DST" are the first letters of that historically Black (African American) Greek letter sorority.

The content of this post is presented for cultural, historical, folkloric, and aesthetic purposes.

Thanks to the composer/s of these chant, to those persons featured in these videos, and to the uploaders of those videos.

Congratulations to DST for their 100 years of Sisterhood!
-snip-
I consider fraternity & sorority chants to be cultural artifacts which deserve to be collected, preserved, and studied. I also believe that fraternity & sorority songs and chants should only be recited and/or performed by those persons who are affiliated with the specific organization that is associated with that particular chant.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE CHANT "I LOVE MY DST"
"I Love My DST" is a chant affirming the affection that members of the historically Black Greek lettered sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc have for that organization.

I'm not sure when this chant was first composed. The words to this chant appear to differ slightly but each version appear to includes the words "I love my D in front of my "S" (and similar words spelling the letters for that sorority.

Probates (new members of the sorority), or other sorors (sorority members) usually chant "I Love My DST" while performing a step routine during step shows. Step routines always include the sorors folding their hands to form a pyramid, the foremost symbol of that sorority.

Read my comment below about similar chants that are performed by Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., another historically Black Greek letter sorority. I'm not sure which organization's compositions are the earliest examples of these types of chants.

****
FEATURED VIDEOS & TEXT EXAMPLES
(These examples are posted in chronological order by the date of their YouTube posting with the oldest videos posted first.)

Example #1: I love my DST!!!



-BaDST07, Uploaded on Feb 8, 2008

The Tau Eta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. represented their chapter very well during Brenau University's Winter Weekend Greek Sing. Sit back and relax while we tell you why we love DST!!!
-snip-
The chant "I Love My DST" begins at 3:06

Here's my transcription of this version of "I Love My DST":

First soror*: I like my "D"
In front of my "S".
Second soror: My "S" in front of my "T".
Third soror: In front.
First soror: In front.
It's the natural order of things.
It sounds SO good to me.
I love my DST.
Second soror: I like my "D" in front of my "S",
My "S" in front of my "T".
It sounds so good to me.
I love my "D".
Third & fourth soror: I like my "D" in front of my "S",
My "S" in front of my "T".
It looks so good to me.
I like I like I like my "S".
First soror:
I like my "S" in front of my "T"
No matter what you think,
It looks so good on me.
I like, I like, I like, I like my "T".

[clap routine]

Group: I like, I like, I like, I like.
I love, I love, I love, I love.
Gotta have, gotta have
my "D" in front of my "S",
My "S" in front of my "T".
It sounds so good to me.
I love my D.S.T.

*"First soror", "second soror" refers to the order of speakers.
Additions and corrections are welcome for the historical record.

****
Example #2: I love my DST



Uploaded on Feb 28, 2009
T.E. Deltas representin' at the MLK Parade in Atlanta, GA
-snip-
Here's my transcription of that chant:

Lead -I love I love my D.S._ .T.*
Group-I love my "D" in front of my "S",
My "S" in front of my "T".
It sounds so good to me.
I love, I love, I love,
I love my D.S._ .T.*

*The periods after the letters indicate that a brief space was given before saying each letter, The dash after "S." is meant to indicate that there is a beat between saying "S." and "T".

****
Example #3: Delta Sigma Theta Lambda Psi 2010 Probate I Love My DST.flv



LPproDUCKtions, Uploaded on May 17, 2010

Here's a partial transcription of this chant as performed by probates of that historically Black Greek lettered sorority.
Additions and corrections are very welcome for the historical record.

I love, I love, I love
I love my "D" in front of my "S".
It's the very best.
It puts me to the test.
I love, I love, I love
I love my "S" in front of my "T",
So get away from me. [?]
?????

I love my "S" in front of my "T".
It means the best to me. [?]
????
????
-snip-
The question marks after certain words indicate that I was unsure of the words that were chanted. Questions marks also indicate where I was unable to understand the words that were chanted because of the audience's enthusiastic response to that performance.

****
Example #4 Beta Kappa Delta Sigma Theta Talent Show 2011 'I like my d...'



MssAMarie, Published on Feb 5, 2011

Beta Kappa Delta Sigma Theta Talent Show 'I like my d...'
-snip-
Lyrics:*

Group: I like, I like, I like, I like.
I love, I love, I love, I love.
Gotta have, gotta have
my "D" in front of my "S",
My "S" in front of my "T".
It looks so good on me.
I love my D.S.T.
-snip-
I think these were the words, but they were difficult to hear because of the audience's enthusiastic responses.

****
RELATED LINK
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/delta-sigma-theta-sorority-celebrates-100-years-of-black-sisterhood-in-dc/2013/01/11/0eb6cd90-5b5c-11e2-beee-6e38f5215402_story.html
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority celebrates 100 years of black sisterhood in D.C.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

4 comments:

  1. As a community folklorist with an interest in rhymes, cheers, chants, and old songs, I'm interested in "sussing out" possible sources and documenting known sources for those compositions.

    It occurs to me that a high school cheerleader cheer may have been the source for the "it sounds so good to me" and "it looks so good to me" lines that are found in that DST chant. If those cheers aren't a source for those lines, at least those cheerleader cheers and those sorority chants share the same line.

    Here are two examples of that cheerleader cheer:
    HEY [SCHOOL COLORS], Example #1
    Hey Blue and White
    You look so good to me.
    Hey! Hey! Hey!
    [repeat multiple times]
    - Azizi Powell, memories of Atlantic City High School (1961-1964)

    ****
    HEY [SCHOOL COLORS], Example #2
    “Hey Red, Hey Blue, you look so good to me, I said hey Red, Hey Blue…”
    -East Orange High School, 1967, 1968, from comment posted by MellonBrush | September 11, 2009 @ 8:29 am , http://www.baristanet.com/2009/09/go-blue-mhs-mounties-set-for-first-game-of-season/

    Both of those cheers happen to be from New Jersey in the 1960s, but that may be just a coincidence.

    Click this page of my Cocojams cultural website for more examples of children's and teenagers' cheerleader cheers:

    http://cocojams.com/content/childrens-cheerleader-cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction, I should have written "memories of Atlantic City High School 1961-1965.

      My cocojams.com cultural website is no longer active.

      Delete
  2. I've also come across examples of this chant pattern used by members of another historically Black Greek letter sorority, Sigma Gamma Rho, Inc. I'm not sure which sorority used this chant pattern first.

    Here are two examples of that sorority's chants:

    I LOVE MY S IN FRONT OF MY G
    I Love my S in front of my G
    My G in front of my RHO
    I love it, I love it, I love it
    I love my SGRHO
    - EspeRHO, http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=6876 , 02-22-2001,


    I LOVE MY S IN FRONT OF MY G,
    I love my S in front of my G!
    I love my G in front of my Rho!
    I love my S-G-Rho!
    Alright, Alright!
    (Repeat)
    -Paragon1922 http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=6876 , 03-09-2001

    ReplyDelete
  3. This same "I like my__ in front of my __ in front of my etc" pattern is found in North Carolina A&T's chant "Aggie Pride".
    Click https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwdw0NpBBVu/ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwkQ9JCABc" for videos of that chant.

    I don't know which organization's or university's chant came first.

    ReplyDelete