Translate

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Seven Examples Of The Blues Classic "Dust My Broom"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases four sound files and two video examples of the Blues classic "Dust My Broom". Information about this song and Bluesman Robert Johnson's lyrics to this song are also provided in this post.

The content of this post is presented for historical, folkloric, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT "DUST MY BROOM"
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_My_Broom
"Dust My Broom" is a blues standard originally recorded as "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" by Robert Johnson, the Mississippi Delta blues singer and guitarist, on November 23, 1936 in San Antonio, Texas. The song was originally released on 78 rpm format as Vocalion 03475, ARC 7-04-81 and Conqueror 8871. There is an ongoing dispute as to whether the song was written by Johnson or by his contemporary, Elmore James.

This was the second song that Johnson recorded, immediately after "Kind Hearted Woman Blues". He adopted this song from traditional sources. Unlike the many versions by other musicians, Johnson's original accompaniment was finger picked, and not played as a bottleneck or slide guitar...

Attempts have been made to read a hoodoo significance into the phrase 'dust my broom'. However the blues artist Big Joe Williams, who knew Robert Johnson, and who also believed in traditional magic, explained it as "leaving for good ... I'm putting you down. I won't be back no more."
**
Also, click http://haveringhavers.blogspot.com/2007/10/dust-my-broom-story-behind-song.html
Friday, October 12, 2007, Richard Havens, Dust My Broom - The Story Behind the Song
****
LYRICS: DUST MY BROOM
(Composed by Robert Johnson)

I'm goin' get up in the morning, I believe I'll dust my broom
x 2
Girl friend, the black man you been lovin', girl friend, can get my room

I'm gonna write a letter, telephone every town I know x 2
If I can't find her in West Helena, she must be in East Munroe
I know

I don't want no woman, wants every down town man she meets x 2
She's a no good dony, they shouldn't 'low her on the streets

I believe, I believe I'll go back home x 2
You can mistreat me here, babe, but you can't when I go home

And I'm gettin' up in the morning, I believe I'll dust my broom x 2
Girl friend, the black man you been lovin', girl friend, can get my room

I'm gonna call up China, see is my good gal over there x 2

I can't find her in the Philippine Islands, she must be in Ethiopia somewhere
-snip-
Information about certain words in the lyrics:
"dust my broom" = leave, move on
"dony" = a lady/a woman (from the Spanish title "Dona")

****
FEATURED EXAMPLES
Example #1: I Believe I'll Dust My Broom [Remastered] ROBERT JOHNSON (1936) Delta Blues Guitar Legend



RagtimeDorianHenry,Uploaded on Apr 4, 2009

****
Example #2: Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup-Dust My Broom (1949)



tapappp789, Published on Mar 5, 2012

****
Example #3: Dust My Broom - Elmore James



aardappelneez, Uploaded on Sep 6, 2008

Dust My Broom - Elmore James, the King of the Slide Guitar [1951]

****
Example #4: Howlin' Wolf - Dust My Broom



TheQuicksilverdog, Uploaded on Jun 10, 2010 [1964]

****
Example #5: Muddy Waters / Dust My Broom



TheFatGeezer, Uploaded on May 30, 2009

A live version of the stomping blues track

****
Example #6: Etta James - Dust My Broom



nostsljicbiues·Published on Jan 29, 2013

****
Example #7: Taj Mahal - Dust my broom



Joe Stead, Uploaded on Nov 24, 2008

In concert in Germany

****
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND THANKS
Thanks to the composer/s and performers of "Dust My Broom". Thanks also to those who researched the history of this classic Blues song. And thanks to the uploaders of these featured sound files and videos.

Finally, thank you for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment