Translate

Monday, February 6, 2012

Five Foot Stomping Cheers & Their R&B/Hip-Hop Sources

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest revision - April 24, 2022

This  pancocojams post features five examples of foot stomping cheers whose words were inspired by Rhythm & Blues or Hip-Hop records. There are a number of other children's foot stomping cheers which have their source in R&B or Hip-Hop records.

My thanks to those who contributed the words to these cheers. My thanks also to the composers, musicians, and recording artists songs are featured in this page, and also to the uploaders of these featured videos.

These video/foot stomping cheer examples are presented in alphabetical order.

****
Footstomping Cheer #1: "Candy Girl"; R&B record source: New Edition - "Candy Girl"



Uploaded by dakwa4life on Mar 19, 2009

Official Video (1983)

**
Foot stomping Cheer Words:
CANDY GIRL
Candy girl, all my world,
look so sweet special treat
this is the way we (then they name a dance i.e the whop)
Candy girl
do the whop the whop
all my world
do the whop whop
look so sweet
do the whop the whop
special treat
do the whop the whop...
goes on with different dances mostly what is in at the time.
-Guest KLC,(East Harlem, New York, New York); http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=63097 ; Folklore: Do kids still do clapping rhymes? ; July 11, 2008

****
Foot stomping Cheer #2: "Fly Girl"; Hip-Hop record source:

A Fly Girl - The Boogie Boys (1985)



Uploaded by djbuddyloverootsrap on Apr 25, 2011

The Boogie Boys were an American old school hip-hop group from Harlem, New York. They scored one big hit in 1985 with "A Fly Girl", from the album "City Life", that peaked at number six on the R&B charts. William 'Boogie Knight' Stroman, Joe 'Romeo J.D.' Malloy, and Rudy 'Lil Rahiem' Sheriff comprised the group. But things went downhill after that promising start, and by 1988 Sheriff had left the group, and they soon disbanded. This channel is dedicated to all the great rap music from back in the day. The music that started the whole hip-hop revolution, the incredible music from the 70s, the 80s, and the early 90s . . . The Roots Of Rap are here!

**
Foot Stomping Cheer Words:
FLY GIRL
All: Fly girl
Fly girl
Fly girl One
Fly girl Two
Pump it up Teresa
See what you do.
Soloist #1 (Oh) my name is Teresa
and I’m a fly girl
It takes a lot of men
to rock my world.
‘cause I can fly like a butterfly
sting like a bee
and that’s way they call me
Sexy
-Tazi M. Powell, (African American female, memories of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, mid 1980s); posted by Azizi Powell ; from audio tape transcription; 1996

[Italics mean to substitute the first name, nickname, or first name initial of the current soloist.]

****
Foot Stomping Cheer #3: Hollywood Swinging (and similar titles) - Rhyth & Blues source

Kool & The Gang - Hollywood Swinging 1976




zman291977, Jul 18, 2011

HOLLYWOOD GOES SWINGIN
All: Hollywood goes swingin
Hollywood goes ___swingin
Swingin for the good times
Swingin for the bad times
Soloist #1: My name is Zizi
I’m cool and the gang
Mess with me. I’ll do my thang
If you see me walkin down the street
You betta speak.
Long time, no see
Sexy as I wanna be
Some hittin me high
Some hittin me low
Some hittin me on my-
Don’t ask what
Group: What?
Soloist #1: My b-u-tt butt
That's what.
- T.M.P, (African American female, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1985-1986); also collected by Tazi Powell (from African American girls, Pittsburgh [Lillian Taylor Camp], 1989, 1990
****
Foot Stomping Cheer #4: 
 "Playground"; Hip-Hop record source:

Another Bad Creation - Playground



Uploaded by AnotherBCreationVEVO on Dec 24, 2009

Music video by Another Bad Creation performing Playground. (C) 1991 Motown Records, a Division of UMG Recordings, Inc.

**
Foot stomping Cheer Words:

All: I’ve fallen.
I can‘t get up.
I’ve fallen
And I can‘t get up.
Smack, Jack!
Homie don’t play that.
Kick off your shoes [or "Put up your dukes"]
and let’s get loose!
We kick our beat at the playground. playground
You know.
All except the soloist:
Bust it "T", Bust it "T", Bust it! [Use first initial of the soloist’s name or nickname]
Swing it "T", Swing it "T", Swing it!
Kick it, "T", Kick it "T", Kick it!
She kicks her beat at the playground,
you know, playground.
- African American girls ages 7-12 years old; Lillian Taylor Camp; Pittsburgh, PA, early
1990s; collected by T.M.P. ; transcribed from audio tape by Azizi Powell, 1996
-snip-
This cheer text was corrected on June 11, 2017 to add missing words (as per my daughter T.M.P who collected it from that summer camp attendees.

****
Foot stomping Cheer #5: "Rock The Boat"; R&B record source:

Hues Corporation - Rock the Boat



Uploaded by denisemartha on Sep 9, 2008

Mom's favorite

**
Foot Stomping Cheer Words
ROCK THE BOAT
(Rock the boat,
Rock, rock the boat
[repeat]
My name is Yasmin*
(rock the boat)
I know I'm fine
(rock the boat)
Just like my sign
(rock the boat)
My sign is Leo**
I go bang-bang choo choo train
Wind me up and I do my thing
Reeses pieces butter cup
Don't mess with me,
cause I'll mess you up,
Rock the boat,
rock rock the boat...
-Yasmin H., (Latina; memories of East New York, New York in the late 1980s) sent to cocojams.com by email on 2/ 25/2004

*Italics indicates that each soloist uses their own first name, nickname, or first name initial.

** Italics indicates that each soloist gives the name of their astrological sun sign.

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Viewer comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment