Translate

Monday, August 5, 2024

Women Wearing Chucks And Pearls To Show Their Support For Kamala Harris For President Of The United States


PoliticsByTabitha, Aug 1, 2024

****
Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post showcases a PoliticsByTabitha podcast that spotlights how women are wearing Chucks tennis shoes and pearl necklaces to show their support for United States Vice President and Democratic nominee for President Kamala Harris. 

This post also presents an excerpt from that podcast's transcript along with a Wikipedia excerpt, and comments about "Chucks" tennis shoes. and pearls and their association with Kamala Harris and her membership in the historically Black Greek letter sorority Alpha Kappa Alpha.

That podcast excerpt also presents some do's and dont's for non-members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority who want to show their support for Kamala Harris for President of the United States, but are unfamiliar with that sorority and with other historically Black Greek letter sororities and fraternities.  
-snip-
Click 
https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/08/videos-information-about-alpha-kappa.html for the pancocojams post entitled "Kamala Harris Joined This Sorority In 1986 (Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc: Information & Two Videos)". Also, click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/08/the-evolution-of-alpha-kappa-alpha.html for the related pancocojams post entitled "The Evolution Of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority's "Set It Off" Stroll (Videos & Comments)"

****
TRANSCRIPT EXCERPT

This is an excerpt of the auto-generated English language podcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglB8h5qsQU "My Chucks vs Trump’s Shoes, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and Some Do’s and Dont’s!"

I've added punctuation, capitalizations, and spelling corrections.


PoliticsBy Tabitha:

"I'm not a member of the AKA sorority. I have them in my family um and I know several AKAs.

I don't plan on doing anything that will be disrespectful or step on the toes of the members of the AKA sorority.

I won't be wearing any of their trade marked merchandise. I think that is disrespectful.

Trademarked 
merchandise is for members of the AKA sorority period.  Also, I will not be joining any stroll lines. That is completely disrespectful. And they will get your ass for it.

I won't be using any of their AKA maneuvers. I believe the skee wee and and the hand signals- I won't be using any of that . However, as a matter of fact, um, one of my mutual friends, she is a part of the AKA sorority and she did a little, um, dos and don'ts video. I'll share, um, some of that video at the end. But in her video she mentioned that, um, the AKAs don't own the colors pink and green.  Even though pink and green are their colors. They don't own own pearls although they do have a trademark set of pearls for the AKA sorority members. So just do your research.

[…]

See this right here. [around 3:40 in that podcast] . That is their crest. You don't want to wear nothing that has that crest because, baby, if you are not a member of that sorority and a sorority member sees you out with this, they will stop you and they will ask you are you a member of the sorority. And if you say no, baby, they going to get you too. And rightfully so.

There are some things that organizations like these have to- you know- hold true to their hearts. This is why we we are always not happy about how other communities try to appropriate our culture. So  sorority culture it is a whole different set of culture. I don't think you have to be only Black to be an AKA. But you have to be an AKA to rock their crest. So when it comes to rocking Chucks and pearls wear your Chucks and pearls. That's, that's my opinion.  If an AKA comes along and tell me I am wrong, I will come back and educate you. I don't think they own pearls. I don't think they own Chucks.

So anybody can rock Chucks and pearls, what you don't want to do is rock pearls that Rock pearls that look like this okay [around 5:05 a photo is shown of the AKA crest that includes a rim of pearls.]

[…]

[PoliticsbyTabitha’s friend begins talking around 5:23]

I'm a lawyer in real life. I don't play one on television. And I am also a 36y year member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority. And I want to talk to all of my friends out there who are not members of AKA and not members of any Divine Nine organization. Now everything I'm about to say is my personal opinions my personal statements.  No one speaks on behalf of Alpha Kappa Alpha except for our International president and CEO.  That is not me. So these are just my personal opinions and thoughts. I I thought I would share with you some dos and don'ts. You're going to be hearing a lot about Alpha Kappa Alpha over the next eight years. And just so you have a clear idea of who we are and some dos and don'ts that can help all of us over the next eight years I thought I'd make this video.

So, in case you don't know, Alpha Kappa Alpha is the first Greek letter organization started by African American women. We were founded on the campus of Howard University on January 15th 1908. We are an international service organization. Our  membership extends beyond college. It is for life. So when you become a member, if you become a member in college it is for your lifetime and so membership is not limited to African American women. Any college educated woman, uh, can be a member. And membership is by invitation only.

So let's talk about some of my personal does and don'ts. So this is me speaking. This is not anything official. 

Okay-Number one, the term "soro":   

That is reserved for people who are members of the sorority. It is a term of endearment which means "sister". So we refer to members of the organization, of our organization. If you're not a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, it would not be appropriate for you to call me your soror.

Our colors are the lovely pink and green combination, but we do not own the pink and green combination. Anyone is free to wear these colors. However, please understand that when I see someone wearing pink and green, I am always curious as to whether they are a member of the sorority. To me pink and green while it is a lovely combination, it is a very intentional combination. So if I ask someone oh are you an AKA because you're wearing pink green, it's not in an accusatory way. I just want to know if you are a member of the sorority and I can greet you based on that. Uh, so don't be offended if members ask you are you a member because you're wearing pink or green. And you can wear as much pink and green as you want to. We don't own the colors.

Please don't call me a "k". I know this is something that has...is more fashionable with young people. I am not a "k". I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority. You can call me an AKA, but I am not "AK" I'm not an "ahkah". And those are things that personally are pet peeves for me. Um, so please avoid them for me. I don't like it.  It's not an official term of, uh, the sorority.  And to me, um, I earned three letters and that's what I prefer to be called.

Now, there are some things that Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority Incorporated does in fact own. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority is very active in trademarking its symbols. So the shield, the crest,  the pinky (our hand signal),  the pinky, the "skee wee" which is our sound, the ivy - all of those things are trademarked by our sorority. That means if you are not a member of the sorority, you should not be wearing those things. So if I see you wearing something like one of the trademark symbols, I assume you are a member of the  sorority. So please avoid wearing those things that are trademarked by the organization because it in it indicates that you are a member.

"Set it off" [stroll]

Now you all may see us doing a stroll to the song "Set It Off". If you're not a member of the organization, please don't join us. You may have seen a lot of videos on Tik Tok recently where other members of the D9 are saying that they will protect our line. So, uh, "Set It Off" is our stroll.It's for members only. If you're not a member, please don't join in.

So those are my dos and don'ts. If you have questions drop it in the comments. 

I hope this has been helpful and I hope you understand, um, that we, I understand that over the next eight years there's going to be a lot of attention to Alpha Kappa Alpha. And I hope this is helpful to you. But if you  have any questions let me know what they are,"

****
INFORMATION ABOUT "CHUCKS" (TENNIS SHOES)
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Taylor_All-Stars

"Chuck Taylor All-Stars or Converse All Stars (also referred to as "Converse", "Chuck Taylors", "Chucks", "Cons", "All Stars", and "Chucky Ts") are sneakers manufactured by American fashion brand Converse (a subsidiary of Nike, Inc. since 2003). Initially developed as a basketball shoe in the early 20th century, its design has remained largely unchanged since its introduction. The shoe consists of a stitched upper portion, and a toe cap and outsole usually made of rubber. Although Chuck Taylors are made of various materials such as leather or suede, the original and most widely known version is made from cotton canvas. The innovative detail of the original shoe was the "loose lining" of soft canvas that was intended to provide flexibility and prevent blisters.

Converse started making an early basketball shoe in 1917 and redesigned it in 1922, when Chuck Taylor asked the company to create a better shoe with more support and flexibility. After Converse added Taylor's signature to the ankle patch they became known as Chuck Taylor All Stars. By the 1960s the company had captured about 70 to 80 percent of the basketball shoe market, but the shoe declined in popularity during the 1970s when basketball players wore competing brands. Chuck Taylor All Stars enjoyed a comeback in popularity in the 1980s as retro-style casual footwear.[1][2]

Although Chuck Taylor All-Stars are no longer used in professional basketball, they remain popular as casual footwear. Converse has released editions of the shoes in many colors and patterns, as well as updated models that retain the original's appearance while incorporating newer technology.”…
-snip-
Click https://youtube.com/shorts/i2l2SZbtVI8?si=l1Hekxmw0kIU8gIW for a YouTube video short that showcases photographs of Chuck Taylors ("Chucks") The comments for that video include opinions about why some people like Chucks. 

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTE
A lot of the comments in this compilation & other comments in that podcast's discussion thread include the verb "rock" or "rocking" and/or include heart emojis that are the colors salmon pink and apple green. Here are some explanations for that content.

** "Chucks" is a colloquial name for "Chuck Taylor Converse tennis shoes (sneakers, gym shoes). ** Pearls have more than one meaning in each of the four historically Black Greek letter sororities. One of the main meanings that pearls have in each of these sororities is that the pearls themselves and the number of pearls represent that organization's founders.
*Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc..

** "Rock" and "rocking" are African American Vernacular English verbs which means in this context, to enjoy doing something; to feel good about doing (wearing) something.

**
As noted above, salmon pink and apple green are the official colors of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc*. Coincidentally (?), the lime green color that is associated with the Brat album and memes is very similar to Alpha Kappa Alpha's apple green color. Also, https://x.com/kamalahq?lang=en uses the same Alpha Kappa Alpha/Brat green color as its background. Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2024/07/kamala-harris-and-british-slang-terms.html for the pancocojams post entitled "Kamala Harris And The British Slang Terms "Brat" And "Brat Summer" (videos & information)".

*The name of this historically Black Greek letter sorority is also given as "AKA". These letters are pronounced separately, with the "a" pronounced the same as in the word "day", "say", and "may" etc. kamala Harris became a member of AKA in 1986 when she was a senior at Howard University. (Washington, DC). 

**
"Skee wee" is the high pitched, squealing vocalization that members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority make to greet each other and to show their support for and appreciation of their sorority. Non-members of that organization aren't supposed to use that call. Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2013/09/black-fraternity-sorority-calls.html for the pancocojams post entitled "Black Fraternity & Sorority Calls (Information & Comments)".

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM THIS DISCUSSION THREAD

I added numbers to these comments for referencing purposes only.

August 1,  2024

1. @vanessabener9421
"Went on Amazon and ordered another chucks and pearls T-Shirt to rock when I go vote got some green chucks and pink pearls I’m ready "

**

August 2, 2024

2.@vaozha48
"Go girl! I am 75, had NO clue you were talking about, but I love it! Go Kamala Harris! 1st U.S.A. Lady President! Gonna kick some butt! Tabitha, I love your You Tube channel!"
**
Reply
3.@mlynettepinky595
"Harris always wore converse sneakers with pearls.
Women are wearing them in support for Harris"

**
4.@lovehatetragedy823
"I wore my chucks and pearls to vote in the 2020 election ."
**
5. @teresam5199
"Chucks and pearls are AKA "

**
6. @megg1854
"My Chucks collection has been growing. I wear them to work a lot too. Nobody has really questioned it, but if the VP rocks her Converse, I can too!"
**
7. @pheebe5729
"Now that I know this what we doing. I’m ready. I have my chucks and pearls ready. Let’s go President Harris 2024!"
**
8. @vanessacundiff676
"
Been rocking mine since she was a candidate the first time "

**
9. @sabrinacheeks8876
We just want to wear the chucks and pearls to show support for VP Harris...I know about the other dos and don'ts... because my mom was a Delta...I missed out because my late husband went into the military...so I followed...just want to support our next President... nothing but love....Vote blue

**
10.@KeishaLauren
"I’m a member of AKA and I invite everyone to wear chucks and pearls. We just ask that you respect our sorority’s boundaries and that includes our trademarks. Sis, those Converse are fire and I support you ."

**

August 3, 2024

11.@nicciparker1908
"As a active member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.....I encourage EVERYONE to wear pink and green, we don't own the colors BUT you can't wear our letters or symbols that's under our trademarked para"
As a active member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.....I encourage EVERYONE to wear pink and green, we don't own the colors BUT you can't wear our letters or symbols that's under our trademarked para" -snip- "Para" is an informal, shortened form of the word "paraphernalia". In the context of sororities and fraternities, "paraphernalia"/"para" means "miscellaneous clothes and items that represents and/or promotes a particular organization.
**
12. @carolina9799
"I'm a Gloden Girl wearing chucks! I was 15 years old when we started the girls wearing Chucks. We have family members that are AKA. Go VP Harris. VOTE BLUE!"

**
13. @GenRN
"Is it ok as a white woman to wear Chuck’s and pearls? I don’t want to be disrespectful but I want to be part of the Kamala train."

**
Reply
14.@user-pf1qd3jq6g
"You absolutely can and should. It’s not a black thing, it’s a support thing."

**
15. @AnointedSong
"It's not the pearls per se, it's wearing the pearls with their crest. I like wearing pearls.

**
16. @ninidanatural
"Grab your pearls and chucks it’s a way to support Kamala"

**
17.@glamourboy06
 "Go ahead and rock the chucks and pearls. As Member of Alpha Phi Alpha, I love it when people show support. It happened to me when I was in college when everyone showed to our party wearing black and gold. Again that just me personally. I wondered what was going on when I first hear about the Chucks and pears.
The pearls caught my attention quickly, and I knew it was to support VP Harris. I was like the AKAs will have all the woman wearing pearls now." **
18. @cyyrious "Yes you can "
**
19. @cyyrious "Girl rock them chucks and pearls …. It’s not like you’re wearing pink and green or skee weeing … we are here for Kamala and twenty Pearls brought tears to my eyes it’s a powerful documentary where you would be proud of these African American women at a time where we weren’t seen. I think everyone should see the film." **
20. @glamourboy06 "I don’t know if they mention this, but On a different note, one of the questions that bring people to this blog is “Was Eleanor Roosevelt an AKA?” Yes! First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt was an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha." ** 21. @MissKimLifeStyle "Your Chucks are cute and match your style perfectly. They look nothing like those cheap monstrosities Trump is selling. Non AKA supporters are representing for Kamala in our own way by incorporating Chuck Taylors & pearl strands into our personal style. We know not to disrespect the organization." **
22. @feliciacooper4630 "Pearls are what most sororities wear not just AKAs. As long as you don't wear trademark pearls for any sorority you should be fine. Most pearls from any other place are fine unless they are a registered vendor for sororities."
** 23. @ShadesShannon "Those rules go for all of the Divine 9!" -snip- "The Divine Nine" - the informal referent for the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), the umbrella organization that was founded in 1930 for nine historically Black Greek letter organizations. ** 24. @lesliedowell-cannon2500 "The same applies for the Deltas, Sigma Gamma Rho’s and Zetas. Anyone can rock Chucks and pearls love to all my Divine Nine and Non Greek Black Sisters "
** 25. @raeha7796 "Pearls and D9 sororities is pretty common. Most wear pearls."
** 26. @nurseserobin "
Thank you for sharing. I As a white women had no idea about any of this,nor Kamala's History with it or what the dance was. I have worn chucks for years and own 3 pairs. I bought a green pair for gun violence and the only time I wear a necklace is when I wear my pearls. I didn't realize the connection to the shoes & pearls to the sorority. I really appreciate you sharing this. I've always lived in white rural WI, except when I lived in SC & AĆ» as a travel nurse so I am always learning. Sometimes I do worry I am going to mess up and say something racist when I don't mean to. I have never viewed myself as racist but yet, over the years I've picked up on things I heard adults in my life say that I later came to realize were racist and wrong. I feel lucky some how I didn't grow up with hate in my heart though. Maybe just some stupidity."
** Reply 27. @user-by2dk9ns8s "wear what you want---in fact, pink and green was actually popular in some of the designers this season. AKA does not own a color combo. so rock those shoes if you like and wear pearls if you want to! Kamala is going to need all the promotion she can get!!"
** August 4, 2024 28. @athavolpe1282 "
The preferred colors of every Sorority in every State can be different. In TX, pink and green are the official colors of Delta Nu a primarily white Sorority that is also found in High Schools. This was how my Mother became a Sorority Sister."
** Reply 29.@user-by2dk9ns8s "Not true in the Black community--there are large national sororities--international, really. There are currently 2.5 million members of the Divine nine in the US." ** 30. @bethonetwo "I have never had an interest in learning about soroities and won't start now. I hope this won't become some "us against them thing." ** Reply 31. @user-by2dk9ns8s "it won't--some folks want to wear something in her honor so that is why they are talking about it. Kamala used to wear converse sneakers so she could walk a lot and wore her pearls on the campaign trail last election and it is a little signature for her. People did it some last time as well and it was no big deal.

**
32. @MaryKayPinkLady24
"
I have Chucks & (faux) pearls, but never wore them together. THAT'S ABOUT TO CHANGE!"
** 33. @TT-di3qz "I wear chucks but I don't have pearls!! I am inspired to get my gear!!! "
** 34. @dr.braxygilkeycruises1460 "All AKAs already have pearls. And we've been rocking Chucks at least since 2018 when our girl was in the Senate." ** 35. @THEWRITERSTELEVISION "I got my Chucks and Pearls and I am ready to rock!"
** 36.@joycejohnson760 "I love it!! I got some black pearls. Gotta get some new chucks"
****
37. @user-by2dk9ns8s "You can wear your chucks and pearls and also pink and green--AKA does not own a color combo. And Kamala = the chucks and pearls.
Only things to avoid are a T shirt with AKA on it or the crest, no pinkie signal and no Skee wee. And no strolling. That's it! There is also a secret challenge phrase sorors sometimes use but if they ask it and if you do not say it back, they know you are not an AKA and it is not a biggie." **** Thanks for visiting pancocojams. Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment