Translate

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

The African American Gospel Song "One Morning Soon" ("I Heard The Angels Singing"), Part II: three examples with lyrics for one example


blessedover, Oct 26, 2011

Music: One Morning Soon (Live At The Church Of God, NY / 1959)

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

The Gospel Truth (Expanded Edition)
-snip-
Here's a comment from this sound file's discussion thread:
@fbfree2311, 2014
"Sister Rosetta Tharpe   and the Sally Jenkins Singers of Philadelphia ,PA. Frank Baylor @ the key boards"

****

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part I of a two part pancocojams series on the late 19th century African American song "One Morning Soon".. This song shouldn't be confused with the African American Gospel song "Soon One Morning".  

 "One Morning Soon" is also given as "I Heard The Angels Singing".

This post presents information about this song and lyric examples from the Mudcat online folk music forum.

Click __ for Part II of this pancocojams series. That post presents three examples of YouTube example of "One Morning Soon" ("I Heard The Angels Singing") by Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Rev. Gary Davis, and Charlie Wells & The Voices Of Clouds. The lyrics for this Gospel song as sung by Rev. Gary Davis are included in that post.

The content of this post is presented for historical, religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the unknown composer/s of this song. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/08/shop-jd-means-dr-cj-johnson-one-morning.html for a 2015 pancocojams post that showcases YouTube sound files of "One Morning Soon" ("I Heard The Angels Singing") by Dr. CJ Johnson, by Bishop J.D. Means, Sr., and by The Golden Gospel Singers. The lyrics for those versions aren't included in that post.

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLE #2 - Blind Gary Davis - I Heard the Angels Singing live


Hubert Cumberdale, Aug 8, 2014

Recorded June 1967

**
LYRICS -I HEARD THE ANGELS SINGING
(Rev. Gary Davis)

One day as I was walkin' along
I heard the angels singing
I heard a voice and I saw no one
I heard the angels singing

What you reckon he said to me
I heard the angels singing
Said my sins are forgiven and my soul set free
I heard the angels singing

Well, the Holy Ghost on fire fell on me
You ought to have been there when he fell on me
Then I got in the spirit and I began to shout
People come a running, miles around
People wondering what it was all about

Went down in the valley one day just to pray
Met old Satan down on my way
What you reckon that old rascal said to me
He said I was too old to die and too young to pray

I went on down, didn't pay no mind what he said
Made Satan out a liar and I stayed all day
Went down in the valley, fell down on my knees
I said, Lord help me if you please

One morning soon, just awhile before day
One morning soon, just awhile before day
One morning soon, just awhile before day
I heard the angels singing, I heard the angels singing

Down by my bedside I was down on my knees
Down by my bedside I was down on my knees
Down by my bedside I was down on my knees
I heard the angels singing, I heard the angels singing

https://genius.com/Rev-gary-davis-i-heard-the-angels-singing-lyrics

https://genius.com/artists/Rev-gary-davis

"Rev. Gary Davis; AKA: Reverend Gary Davis, Blind Gary Davis

Rev. Gary Davis (April 30, 1896 – May 5, 1972) was a blues musician who started releasing music in the 1930’s."

****
SHOWCASE EXAMPLE #3 - "I Heard The Angels Singing"- Charlie Wells & the Voices of Clouds


Rowoches, Nov 13, 2017

Artists:
Charlie Wells & the Voices of Clouds

Album: I HEARD THE ANGELS SINGING

****
This concludes Part II of this pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment