Translate

Saturday, May 27, 2023

"Apple On A Stick" Children's Recreational Rhymes (with geographic information)

Edited by Azizi Powell

Latest revision- December 14, 2023)

This pancocojams post presents some versions of the children's recreational rhyme "Apple On A Stick" that include information about that example's geographic location (city, state and/or nation).

The content of this post is presented for folkloric, cultural, and recreational purposes

In addition to noting where (and when) these examples where chanted, this post documents a few of the different versions of this rhyme.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all the contributors and collectors of the examples of this rhyme that are compiled in this post.
-snip-
Click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/03/its-not-because-youre-dirty-line-in_12.html?sc=1685226354833#c1837683121109857895 "
The Precursor Of & Early Examples Of "Apple On A Stick" (Not Because You're Dirty/Not Because You're Clean") Rhymes"

and

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/11/youtube-comments-about-apple-on-stick.html  "YouTube Comments About "Apple On A Stick" Rhymes That Demonstrate How Children Respond To Differences In Hand Clap Rhymes Words And/Or Performances" for previous pancocojams posts about "Apple On A Stick" recreational rhymes.

Also, click https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2023/05/jump-rope-hand-clap-other-recreational.html for a related pancocojams post entitled "Children's Recreational Rhymes That Include Names Of Cities, States Or Nations".

Examples of "Apple On A Stick" (and other children's recreational rhymes) that are given in those pancocojams posts and elsewhere online rarely include any mention of geographical location or any other demographic information. 

If an online example of a recreational rhyme includes demographic information that doesn't mean that everyone in that location and/or otherwise fitting those demographics at that time chanted and performed that rhyme the same way. 

****

A, B

Arizona (United States)

 “Candy on a stick that makes me sick,
It makes my tummy go two-forty-six,
Not because you’re dirty, not because you’re clean,
Not because you kissed a boy behind a magazine.
Hey boys do you wanna fight
I see a guy with his pants on tight
He can wibble he can wobble he can even do the splits,
But I bet ya ten bucks that he can’t do this.
Close your eyes and count to ten, and if you mess up start over again”


Background:
The informant used to perform this song as part of clapping game in pre-school and elementary school in Arizona."...
-Scott Gilman, May18, 2021 University of Southern California, http://folklore.usc.edu/childrens-clapping-game-candy-on-a-stick/ 


**

Arkansas (United States)

"Apples on a stick just make me sick. They make my heart go 2/46...2/46. Not because they're yellow not because they're green. Not because I kissed a boy behind a magazine, singing 'hey girl. You wanna have some fun? Here comes (insert a name) with his pants undone. He can wibble, he can wabble, he can do the splits, but I bet you five bucks he can't do this. Close your eyes and count to ten. Whoever messes up is a big fat hen!' " That is how they usually do it in Arkansas."
-Max Guevara, 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sygUDQzShdM 

****
Australia

Apple on a stick
Make me sick
Makes my heart beat 246
Not because you’re dirty
Not because you’re clean
Not because you kissed a boy behind a magazine
Girls, boys having fun
Here comes a girl with the blueberry bum
She can wiggle she can wobble she can do the twist
But I betcha I betcha she cant do this
Count to ten with your eyyyes* shut
If you mess up, start again.
1,2, 4, 5, 6,7, 8, 9, 10
You didn’t mess up, now she’s your girlfriend
That’s the end of chapter 10
Bam!
-
LivingHealthyAus, Published on Nov 2, 2012, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sygUDQzShdM&t=1s , Louise and Reese playing " Apple on a Stick " Hand clapping game. [Australia]

**
Australia

"I know there are a lot of different ways he in Australia yeah Australia mate we say apple on a stick makes me sick makes my heart beat 246 not because your dirty not because you’re clean not because you kissed a boy behind a magazine girls boys having fun here comes the teacher with a big fat bum she can leave or Second World War she can do the splits but I bet you 10 bucks she can’t do this close your eyes and count to 10 if you muck up you’re not my friend 123456 78 910 you didn’t muck up so you’re my friend best friends"
-
Karly Fisher, 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrRWg4pEWs [video discussion comment]

**
Australia

"Apple on a stick is a clapping game, normally played by girls. There can be variations to the standard rhyme.

Details

At School 17

Apple on a stick makes me sick,
Makes my heart beat two-forty-six,
Not because you're dirty, not because you're clean,
Just because you kissed a boy behind a magazine.

Girls, boys, have a lot of fun,
Here comes Johnny with a pickle up his bum,
He can wibble he can wobble he can even do the splits,
But I bet ya ten bucks that he can't do this.

Close your eyes and count to ten,
If you muck it up you're not my friend. (eyes closed)
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,
You didn't muck it up so you're my best friend.

 

Alternative version:

You mucked it up, so you're not my friend.

 

At School 09

There were about four versions of the rhyme at the school.

 

One variation:

Replace the line

Here comes Johnny with a pickle up his bum,

with

Here comes the the teacher with the big fat bum.

 

Players: 2
Girls
Age: 7-8

Apple on a stick, makes me sick
Makes my heart beat two, forty six,
Girls, girls have a lot of fun
Here comes us with blue jeans on,
Close your eyes and count to ten
If you muck up you're a big fat hen,
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten
We didn't muck up so that's the end

 

Another Variation

Apple on a stick, makes me sick,
Makes my heart beat two, forty six,
Not because you're dirty, not because you're clean
Not because you see a boy, kiss a magazine,
Boys, boys having such fun, here comes one with a hairy bum.
He can do the wibble, the wobble and the twist
But I betcha, betcha you can't do this,
Close your eyes and count to ten
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten

 

At School 05
Players: 2
Girls
Age: 8

Apple on a stick, makes me sick,
Makes my heart beat two forty-six,
Not because you're dirty, not because you're clean,
Not because you kissed a boy behind a magazine.
Girls, boys, have a lot of fun,
Here comes Madonna with a pickle up her bum,
She can wibble, she can wobble, she can even do the splits,
I bet you can't even do this:
Count to ten, you're a big fat hen.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. (Clap with eyes closed while counting)
You didn't muck it up so you're my best friend. (Hug each other)"
-https://ctac.esrc.unimelb.edu.au/biogs/E000060b.htm , University of Melbourne [Australia], © Childhood, Tradition & Change 2011

**
Australia

"Aussies(australians) know it as

Apple on a stick, makes me sick
Makes my heart beat two fourty six
Not because your dirty, not because your clean
Not because you kissed a boy behind a magazine
Boys, girls have a lot of fun
Here come Johnny, with a pickle up his bum
He can wibble, he can wobble, he can do the splits
But I bet you five bucks, he can’t do this
Close your eyes and count to 10
If you muck it up, your a big fat hen
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
You didn’t muck it up so your my best friend!"
-@Amanda.lawn_, 2020, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrRWg4pEWs

****
C, D

Dubai

"This is how i do it and I live in Dubai.

Apple On A Stick
Just makes me sick
Just makes my heart go 246
Not because I'm dirty
Not because I'm clean
Not because I kissed a boy behind the magazine
Girls,Boys having fun
Here comes the lady with a big fat bum
She can do a  handstand
She can do the splits
But I bet she can't do this
Close your eyes and Count to ten
If you do mess it up , Your not my best friend
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
You didn't mess it up so you're my best friend
And thats the end of chapter ten!"

-@len6719, 2019, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrRWg4pEWs

 ****

E, F

England
"
In england it goes like:


Apple on a stick, gonna make me sick, gonna make my heartbeat, 2,4,6. Not because you're dirty, not because you're clean. NOT because you kissed the boy behind the magazine. Boys, boys. They're no fun, but here comes the girl with the blue jeans on, they can wiggle, they can wobble, they can do the splits, but I bet you 10 bucks that you can't do this! 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, you didn't mess up, so you're my friend!"
-
@iayniexox9778,  2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrRWg4pEWs 

**
England

"Apple on a stick it makes me sick-
(Heart go 4-26, not because dirty/clean, kissed boy - magazine)
Boys boys want to fight, but here comes a girl with her knickers up tight
She can walk, she can talk, she can even do the splits
But I bet you 10 pounds you can’t do this.
Close your eyes and count to ten,
if you can’t do this you’re not my friend
1-10
And that’s the end of chapter ten
Amen (pron Ah-men)


Central London, couldn’t bother to write out whole thing. Couldn’t remember the last line and it was bugging me so I came here to find it lmao"
-Unknown, September 30, 2020, https://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/03/its-not-because-youre-dirty-line-in_12.html 

****

G, H

Houston, Texas (United States)

Apple on a stick
Makes me sick
Makes my tummy go
Two forty six
Not because it’s dirty
Not because it’s clean
Not because I kissed my momma
Behind the magazines
Girls, girls
Do you wanna fight?
Here come Dickey
With her pants on tight.
She can wiggle
She can woggle
She can do all that
I bet you ten dollars
You can’t do this
Count to ten with your eyes closed
A-baby one
A-baby two
A-baby three, four, five
Baby, I don’t take no little jive
A-baby six
A-baby seven
A-baby eight, nine, ten
You better back it up and do it again
-Barbara Michels and Bettye White, Apples On A Stick*  (New York: Coward / McCann, Inc, 1983, page 11)

* This book is a collection of playground rhymes from Black children in Houston Texas, 


****
I, J

Iowa (United States)

"I used to spend recesses against the wall for jumping out of the swings in mid-air, and playing tag on the tornado slide, and the girls jumped the rope on the wide walkway there. Here [is one rhymes} that I recall hearing, but the words may be out of order, as this was a while ago.

Apples on a stick, make me sick (slick?).
make my arms (heart?) go two-four-six!
It's not because i'm dirty
It's not because i'm clean
It's not because I kiss the boys
behind a magazine (behind a _____ machine?)
Hey girls, let's have fun!
Here comes a cop with his (vest?) undone!
He can shammey he can shake
He can do the hoochie-koo
But I bet a dollar he can't catch you!
One, two, three, etc.....

 

Chanted to a double jumprope, I heard this on the schoolyard in Spirit Lake, Iowa around 1982-5. The count continued untill the jumproper missed a lick."

-Neighmond (Chaz J), http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=56361 "Folklore: Skipping Rhymes & Playground Games"

****

K, L

****

M, N

New Zealand

Apple on a stick
Makes me sick
My heart beat
2-4-6
Not because you’re dirty
Not because you’re clean
Not because you kiss the boys
Behind the magazine.
The boys boys having fun
Here comes a lady with some blueberry buns
She can wriggle
She can rock
She can even do the splitz
But I bet ya 10 bucks
She can’t do this
Close your eyes and count to 10
If you make a mistake
You’re a big fat hen.
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
You did/didn’t make a mistake
So that’s the end
And we are friends.
-NZ Playground Language Clapping Games, ©Laurie and Winifred Bauer 2002, Victoria University of Wellington, https://www.wgtn.ac.nz/lals/research/our-research-areas/new-zealand-english/language-in-the-playground-project/publications/lip70.pdf 


**
New Zealand

Apple on a stick
Makes me sick
Makes my heart jump forty six
Not because you’re dirty
Not because you’re clean
Just because you kiss the boys behind the magazine.
Boys boys having fun
Here comes a man with a big shot gun
She wiggles and she woggles and she does the splits
I bet you a thousand bucks that she can’t do this
Close your eyes and count to ten
If you muck it up, you’re a big fat hen
1-2-3-…10 [with eyes shut]
You didn’t muck it up, so that’s the end.
--NZ Playground Language Clapping Games, ©Laurie and Winifred Bauer 2002, Victoria University of Wellington, https://www.wgtn.ac.nz/lals/research/our-research-areas/new-zealand-english/language-in-the-playground-project/publications/lip70.pdf 

****
O, P

****

Q, R

****

S, T

Scotland

"I live in Scotland and we do it like "apple on a stick, gonna make me sick, gonna make my heart beat 2,4,6 not because your ugly, not because your clean, not because you kissed a boy behind a magazine, boys, girls, having all the fun, here comes Charlie with his button undone, he can do the splits but I bet you ten bucks that he can't do this, close your eyes and count to ten if you mess up then start again,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 you didn't mess up so your my beat friend" 
-Kerry-ann Sharkey, 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrRWg4pEWs 


**
Scotland

"I do it like this: apple on a stick makes me sick makes my heart beat 2/4/6 not because you're dirty not because you're clean just because you kissed the boy behind the magazine. Boys boys having all the fun here comes Mike with his tie undone he can do the wibble wobble he can do the splits but I bet you 10 dollars he Canne dae this close your eyes and count to ten if you mess up you have to start again

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

You didne mess up so you're ma best friend

BTW I live in Scotland so we use slang in ours"
-
Latifa Yakubu,  2020, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht4h61GAZUc 

****

U, V

****

W, X

****

Y, Z

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment