Translate

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

YouTube Discussion Thread Comments About DNA Testing To Identify A Person's Specific African Genetic Makeup

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post provides selected comments about DNA testing to identify a person's specific African genetic makeup. Examples of this sub-set of comments are from a 2015 YouTube vlog (video log) that teaches words from the Twi language of Ghana, West Africa.

The content of this post is presented for sociological and educational purposes.

As a reminder, as editor of this pancocojams cultural blog I believe that some comments from YouTube discussion threads should be archived and shared as cultural artifacts in and of themselves because of their perspectives, and/or information, and/or the way that the comments are written.

These compilations aren't meant to imply that these are the only comments in those video discussion threads that are worthy of documentation and dissemination.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to goldcoastdebuty for the vlog which is embedded in this post. Thanks also to all those who are quoted in this post.

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTE
This compilation quotes selected comments from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuwTdFM8JeQ&t=158s, a vlog that teaches some basic words from Ghana's Twi language.

The comments about people in the African Diaspora taking DNA test to identify their African genetic makeup probably were prompted by comments that the vlogger, goldcoastdebuty, made near the beginning of this video. The vlogger shared a story about an African American woman who wo participated in the discussion in a YouTube Ghanaian tag video series. Nationality tag videos are informal series of vlogs in which people from one nation or region (for instance the Caribbean) share what customs, food, sayings, holidays etc are distinctly characteristic of that particular nation or region. According to goldcoastdebuty, the African American woman indicated that she felt that she could be a part of a Ghanaian video tag discussion because the results of a DNA test that she had taken indicated that a large percentage of her genetic makeup is from Ghana. The vlogger indicated that she was sorry for that African American woman, and said that people should “just be proud of where u come from and own it“.

A number of commenters interpreted this as a put down of that African American and of other people from the African Diaspora who claim specific African ancestry because of the results of DNA tests. However, given her subsequent comments in that discussion thread, I think it's likely that the vlogger meant that people who know their genetic background (because their biological parents know theirs) are very fortunate and they should therefore honor that background by, among other things, knowing how to speak (and read) their native language/s.

It may be significant that in response to two different commenters, goldcoastdebuty shared that she lives in Scotland. Perhaps she started this vlog because she met people of Ghanaian Twi descent in Europe who didn't know how to speak Twi. A relatively large sub-set of commenters in that discussion were people who live outside of Ghana and don't know Twi even though they have one or both parents from the Twi speaking region of Ghana. It's possible that goldcoastdebuty's vlog about learning basic Twi words was mainly directed to that population.

Another large sub-set of comments in this discussion thread noted the similarities between Jamaican Patois and Twi as a result of the large number of Twi speaking people who were involuntarily transported to Jamaica prior to the end of chattel slavery in that nation.

I also believe that it's important to note that a large number of other comments in that discussion thread highly complimented the vlogger for the video's content and for her teaching methods. Those commentators and others also praised the vlogger for her lively personality and her beautiful physical appearance.

****
SHOWCASE VIDEO: Learning Twi (Language) Lesson 101 | #Ghana #IndependenceDay



goldcoastdebuty, Published on Mar 6, 2015

******OPEN FOR MORE JOLLOF RICE*******

My People!!
Welcome to Goldcoastdebuty!!

Twi (Language) Lesson 101 : What will be Covered.....

Welcome---------Akwaaba
Hi------------------(No specific word of it)
How are you?----------Wo ho te sen?
How are you doing? ------Etesen
I am fine-------Me ho ye
I'm fine------------Eye
What about you? ------Wo su eh?
I am also fine------Me su, me ho ye
Good Morning --------Maakye
Good Afternoon--------Maaha
Good Evening -------Maajo

This--------Wei
They-----------Omo
He/She that person------Ono
We -------------Yen
Yes ------ Aane
No---------Daabi
Thank you ----Medase
Okay -----Yoo
A lot/ very -------------------Paa
Sorry ---- Kose/ Kafra"...
-snip-
The actual lesson begins at 2:36 in this video.

As per the vlogger's comment in the discussion thread, the song that is heard in the beginning of this video is a Ghanaian hiplife/afrobeats record entitled "Lobi" by R2bees. Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR2rzf6sIU0 for a YouTube video of that song.


**
SELECTED COMMENTS ABOUT DNA TESTING FROM THIS VIDEO'S DISCUSSION THREAD
(with numbers added for referencing purposes only)

1. jesse Hines, 2015
"Awesome video! I am interested in learning a West African language and debating Fon or Tswi. Lol. The woman you mentioned, was she an American? I'm skeptical about that whole genetic swab deal to begin with. Our ancestors were systematically mingled and mixed so that we would have no real access to our origin but we are essentially African. I don't think it's about knowing genetics. I think its more important to know identities and names. Thanks again for your lesson."

**
REPLY
2. goldcoastdebuty, 2015
"Yes she was African American. I definitely agree I can't say how accurate these tests are. but I feel for a lot of people it just gives them some comfort in knowing they belong. Thanks for watching! really appreciate it 😊😊"

**
3. louis farew, 2016
"The women you speak of at 1:54 Who commented on the Ghana tag was seeking to learn more of her African roots her DNA revealed she had some heritage in Ghana you just brushed it off, as if to say I feel so sorry for her If she was from the states it would be very hard her to know where in Africa she had origins in since the berlin conference created artificial boundaries which still exist today some Africans claim that blacks in other parts of the world do not know there culture why did you not give her some usefull information on that subject"

**
REPLY
4. goldcoastdebuty, 2016
"You completely missed the whole reason I brought that sorry up. Please watch the beginning again."

**
REPLY
5. louis farew, 2016
"I have watched it more than once what I got from it was. the lady responding to the Ghana tag wanted to be included here DNA traced more than one country in Africa. what was your meaning."

**
REPLY
6. goldcoastdebuty, 2016
"The point was that ( irrespective of those artificial boundaries you stated), I know that I know, that I know I am from Ghana. Someone else knows they are from Tanzania or that they are Scottish. The privilege in knowing should mean that we should take the time to learn our various languages and culture, because others ( like the lady who is 25% this and 45% that) Don't. Simply put. If you know where u are from be proud and learn about your heritage."

**
REPLY
7. louis farew, 2016
"Someone else knows they are from Ghana also?"

**
8. ellooellooo, 2016
"It's funny you mentioned the girl who took the DNA genealogy test because I'm tracing my family tree and actually did, too! I found out that that the biggest portion of my African ancestors were taken from Ghana, too. How interesting - it's great to know.

Thank you so much for this helpful video!"

**
REPLY
9. Wander Lust, 2016
"Me too! I just took my ancestry test and found out my DNA matches the most with Ivory Coast/Ghana at 24% so I'm hearing Twi for the first time. Also just heard Wolof today on YouTube because I'm 20% Senegalese and 15% Nigerian! It's feels overwhelming because I'm trying to learn a little bit about each group all at once! It's day three since I learned and I am grateful but exhausted:/"

**
10. shonda white, 2016
"I am one of those persons who don't know where my original ancestry began, but I embrace other cultures and envy that fact sometimes. I wanted to learn different dialects of African. I started with Shona ( Zimbabwe ) "Mhoro!" LOL and am still learning and I have a dear friend from Ghana and I wanted to learn Twi. I want to also learn a lil Wolof which is kinda of hard it seems so I will stick with Shona and Twi for now... and one day I want to visit Ghana. Thanks for this video! It is a refesher of some of the phrases and words I have learned."

**
11. T B, 2016
"I want to learn two..it sounds beautiful to my my ears.

Plus I'm African American and yes I understand some African ppl don't see us as African. That's alright though. It is difficult for us because we're so mixed up with several tribes. I want to do the DNA test and whatever my results are....which ever percentage is higher I'll say that's what I am. Why make it so confusing? Lol. "

**
REPLY
12. T B, 2016
"I meant twi not two lol autocorrect made it two"

**
REPLY
13. goldcoastdebuty, 2016
"Hey sis! Thanks Ooo. I hope these lessons help you to learn 😊😊😍..... I personally still regard African Americans are Africans. I guess it's just difficult on your part to find out exactly where you are from, but I do realise these DNA tests help to at least give you an idea of which part of Africa you are from."
-snip-
Note: One or more "o"s at the end of a sentence indicates emphasis (reinforces what was said).

**
14. HarvardHall2, 2016
"I am North American of African descent (Black). It is indescribably painful not to know where my ancestors are from. It hurts my heart to hear that the woman form the U.S. should not claim her percentage of Ghanaian culture, but I get it to some degree. Many of us have not lived in or even stepped foot upon any country on the continent. We just feel lost. I say that we U. S. Blacks should love African people on the continent and throughout the diaspora as one in unity, absolutely; but, despite the alleged Right of Adobe Program to "return home," supposedly extended to us from Ghana as an apology for its role in slavery, we need to pass on that and improve and recreate our own in the U.S.(as sick and twisted as it may be). We are tired of not being wanted here (Can't speak for the U.K.) or there (African countries), while everyone in the United States- citizen or immigrant of all races- benefits from the labor that my North American African ancestors put in. We have suffered. It's our blood on the ground underneath the universities and businesses. I won't wear African apparel from any country nor pick up your customs, not because I don't appreciate it, but because it's foreign to me, and I feel unwelcome. I wish I had never known White anything in my life. Ever. It has all but killed us, and not an ounce of compassion do you offer."

**
REPLY
15. Chelsey Danielle, 2016
"+HarvardHall2 You summed that up well. As soon as she turned up her nose at a Black woman (not african american!) trying to "piece together" things......I was done with this video and done with my interest in learning about Twi. White people think they are better than us, and so do Africans. Whatever. Hope everyone else enjoys the video."

**
REPLY
16. Karibean Finkley, 2016
"I am also African American or Black American and I love your station! My heritage is not Ghanaian but my daughter is half. Black Americans are a lost people that had to build a culture in a place where they tried to destroy are history and pride, but I:m still happy to be one. I just wanted to say that. Nice tutorial on Twi, I'm want to teach my daughter the language one day and of course visit the country!!! Thanks"

**
REPLY
17. GadinelliT, 2016
"Karibean Finkley i feel where you are coming from. I am American Guyanese. To be honest, I feel bad for the girl who wanted to do an accent tag... I wouldnt have left her with saying "just be proud of where u come from and own it" that was kind of rude.. Instead steer her in a direction where she could possibly try living in ghana since its apart of her dna.. So maybe one day she can do an accent tag... This is no offense to your video Im just being a bit sensative toward the African American people only because im living it. So I understand both points of views. However, I do see where u r coming from too as to why you would say that. But know that it came from a good place."

**
18. San Yates, 2016
"I was born in the States but I have family from Ghana. I definitely appreciate this wisdom...there is an awakening in the States where more of us are trying connect with Africa (not just the Kemetian aspect of it) and this definitely helps. much appreciated ma'am 🙏🙏🙏 peace unto you and yours"

**
REPLY
19. Nichol R Spearman, 2017
"Grand rising and Grand Awakening Brother. Yes we are awakening. I learned that Ghana has dual citizenship for Americans born citizens. Its time to learn the language of our people. We Black Americans have been cheated out of our own languages from the Mother Continent. We must learn so that we can begin to take back our culture."

**
REPLY
20. Cadence Opera, 2017
"speak!!"
-snip-
"Speak!!" here means "I very much agree with what you said." Comment #23 below has the same meaning.

**
REPLY
21. Mia Creswell, 2018
"I didn't take it as her turning her nose up at African Americans. I hope that wasn't the case. If so, shame on her. I honestly just took it as her feeling bad/empathy for those of us who aren't so privileged to have a direct link to our ancestors. Instead we have to pay to find out, because the heritage was not passed down from generations."

**
22. Rosalyn B, 2016
"don't rag on us African Americans lol...... we born here in this United States are perpetually researching from whence we hail. Our true origin and that of people in color in general is constantly skewed. They would have us to believe that our only story began in slavery, and everything european is the knowledge and creative essence. So we dig and search for the truth. Not just for our own individual existence, but that for all people of color. I love Ghana, I felt so at peace there. The problem is as black Americans, we do have to learn how to accept our place of birth, while simultaneously appreciating the birth place of all civilization. I know every time I go to Ghana , I never want to get on the plane to come home . I love the different languages. Your page was recommended to learn Twi. I would like to learn Ewe as well. When I came each time, I was the only one who needed a translator. Mostly everyone else was Ewe. Thanks for teaching and sharing your culture. I love your videos"

**
REPLY
23. Adisa Chazoba, 2017
"Rosalyn B preach sister"

**
REPLY
24. Jusbnme1, 2017
"Very well said! I just found out that I'm 23% Ghanian, 14% Nigerian and there were several other regions as well to represent my 84% African, which is the majority of my DNA. With Ghanian being my largest percentage, I thought I would start with learning as much as I can about the culture, language, etc. Anything good and positive should be encouraged, I think. Unity and not division is the key! Also, I've watched DNA videos where even native Africans are not all from the country the think they're native to, but different parts of Africa as well 🤔…again, I love diversity! The more the better. Just shows we're more alike than we think we are. 😉👍🏾"

**
25, Ariyal sirrah, 2016
"African America/African pride! I'm 25% Ghanian and proud of my mixed African jumbled crazy heritage ;) (Ghanian/Nigerian/Congolese/Mali/and God knows what else!!! Wouldn't do the tag though. It's kinda meant for people who actually share the culture and not just the DNA."

**
REPLY
26. MissBabyloved, 2017
"Ariyal sirrah 😄 it's for everyone that shares the DNA Ghana 🇬🇭"

**
REPLY
27. MostEnigmatic, 2018
"MissBabyloved I'm 30 percent Ghanaian but I feel diasporans (descendants of enslaved Africans) have a unique experience that continental Africans cannot relate to, even if they were raised in America away from Africa. They still have their names and native languages, their full history, so I don't think they can fully understand where diasporans are coming from."

**
28 .MostEnigmatic, 2017
"I was 30 percent Ghanaian/Ivorian. 33 percent Cameroonian/Congolese, 6 percent Nigerian, 5 percent Senegal, 23 percent Benin/Togolese, which gives us 97 percent African. The other 3 is Europe."

**
29. Keilah Al, 2017
"I felt the video was great but don't make fun of people trying to piece together who they are they already have a hard time here in the United States trying to find their identity."

**
REPLY
30. goldcoastdebuty, 2017
"+Keilah Al No fun was made. I said I felt sorry for them."

**
31. trinigirlchrissy, 2017
"I just found your channel and what u said about it being sad not knowing where ur from is sooooo true, I'm Trinidadian, loveeee my culture, but I just find it very sad that I know nothing of where my ancestors came from, which part of west Africa, what the culture was like, it's like generations upon generations of African defendants not knowing squat about where their hereditary lies and the rich culture behind, a big loss in my option, so thanks for doing this video, if my some of my ancestors were from the Akan Tribe, then atleast I know a bit of the twi language, u are very blessed to be so engrossed in your culture"

**
REPLY
32. Asante Akan, 2017
"trinigirlchrissy do a DNA test"

**
33. A Ro, 2017
"Don't talk sh&t* about African-Americans when in a hundred years or so your language Twi is going to be on the verge of Extinction. African Americans had their languages stripped away from them through slavery. While Ghana and many other African nations on the other hand are capable of speaking their native languages but they choose to ignore them and give them second-class status in favor of European languages. Everyone in Ghana speaks English as their first language English is the official language of Ghana that's very sad when Ghana has a language like Twi but it's being ignored Ghana doesn't even teach their grade school kids the Twi language all of the textbooks in Ghana are in English."
-snip-
* This word is fully spelled out in that comment.

**
REPLY
34. goldcoastdebuty, 2017
"Great points here. Thanks for sharing"

**
35. blok229, 2017
"I am what they call African American but found out I am from the Ashanti. What is Ashanti Twi?"

**
REPLY
36. goldcoastdebuty, 2018
"+blok229 Ashanti twi is pretty much Wat I'm teaching. It differs from other forms of twi..very slightly."

**
37. Cujo okekee, 2018
"Big big up akan"

**
REPLY
38. goldcoastdebuty, 2018
"+Cujo okekee Yaay! Thanks for watching 😊"

**
REPLY
39. Cujo okekee, 2018
"goldcoastdebuty you're welcome sis yeah I was born in Jamaica but I was very happy to know that my ancestors came from Ghana fought Independence and so I'm proud to say have Ghanaian in My DNA from astane tribe the akan speaking people so I want to learn more very happy about that... and I'm trying to make friends and more ghanaian people so I can learn more about the hairitage The Roots... and Learning Twi of course it's getting kind of good since I've been watching your video so I'm going to keep practicing to keep learning and we actually speak twi in Jamaica called it kromarti as like the ancestor spoke it"

**
40. JayK, 2018
"That is so true what you just said about how people don't really know their culture if they are somewhere else such as myself in Atlanta Georgia but I want to know so bad where I came from who I came from it's sad. You are so right. But that's why I'm here I want to learn the language"

**
REPLY
41. goldcoastdebuty, 2018
"Thank you sis. I'm glad you understand what I meant. And I really hope these lessons help. Ghana is often the first stop for those looking to connect with their roots. Thanks for watching 😊"

**
42. imaginationman, 2018
"Good introduction to the language. I didn't understand the comment about the black American who had diverse African lineage. What was there to be 'sad' about? Sounds like she's exploring her roots, as she should. Africans in America reproduced with each other in ways those who remained on the continent did not because we were stolen from different parts of Africa and all mixed together in the Caribbean and the Americas during slavery. And many of us rightfully claim our lineage in several regions of the continent. I think it's great that we have connections to more than just one country in Africa. We know where we are from. We are just from many places."

**
REPLY
43. goldcoastdebuty, 2018
"...what was 'sad' was that I felt glad that I knew my exact roots and background was in Ghana, I felt empathy for her as she was on this road of discovery...which should never have been the case to begin with. And was encouraging those who know where they are from to be happy and proud that they don't have to go through these means in order to know their heritage.

**
44. Beautiful Diamond, 2018
"Well Africans living in Africa, are from different tribes without knowing it. I'm Grobo(Kru) if I got a DNA test, I could be part of another tribe.😊"

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment