Translate

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Cool Comments From YouTube Discussion Threads For The Time's 1981 Song "Cool"

Edited by Azizi Powell

This is Part II of a three part pancocojams series on the African American vernacular meanings of the word "cool".

This post provides information about The Time (also known as Morris Day and the Time and The Original 7ven) and the song "Cool". This post also showcases five YouTube examples of the song "Cool" as performed by The Time. That song's lyrics are also included in this post along with selected comments from those discussion threads. Particular attention is given to those comments that include the superlative meaning for the word "cool" or include more contemporary African American originated vernacular words with that same or very similar meaning.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/03/how-vernacular-meaning-of-cool-changed.html for Part I of this series. Part I provides some historical information about the changing vernacular meanings of the word "cool" in the United States.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/03/cool-comments-from-two-youtube.html for Part III of this series. Part III showcases the song "Cool" as performed by Prince, the composer of that song. Selected comments from YouTube videos of Prince's performances of that song are also included in that post.

The content of this post is presented for linguistic, historical, folkloric, and cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to The Time's for their musical legacy. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to the publishers of these examples on YouTube.

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE TIME (BAND)
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_(band)
"The Time, also known as Morris Day and the Time and The Original 7ven, is an American musical group that was formed in Minneapolis in 1981. Their work has been a part of the formation of the Minneapolis sound, featuring a mix of soul music and dance music with funk, rock n roll, and more. Led by singer-songwriter Morris Day, the band members are close Prince associates, and are arguably the most successful artists who have worked with him, achieving particular popularity with R&B fans with tracks such as "Jerk Out" and "Jungle Love". Band members Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis are also long-time collaborators with Janet Jackson, producing all of her most successful albums."...

****
INFORMATION ABOUT THE TIME'S SONG "COOL"
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_(The_Time_song)
"Cool" is a song by The Time, released as the second single from their eponymous debut album. Like most of the album, the song was recorded in Prince's home studio in April 1981, and was produced, arranged, and performed by Prince with Morris Day later adding his lead vocals. The song was co-written with Revolution guitarist Dez Dickerson and contains background vocals by keyboardist Lisa Coleman, however both were uncredited...

"Cool" was only issued as a 7" single with an edit of the song and a continuation as the B-side. The full version was only released on the album and on a promo release. One of The Time's more popular numbers, "Cool" is a staple in concert and a live version of the song recorded at the House of Blues in 1998 was included on Morris Day's 2004 album, It's About Time.

Single by The Time
from the album The Time
Released: 1981
Genre: Funk, pop
Writer(s): Prince (as Jamie Starr)
Producer(s): Prince (The Starr ★ Company)"

****
LYRICS: COOL
(Prince Rogers Nelson, Dez Dickerson)

I got a penthouse in Manhattan
Two more in Malibu
I bought a '87's Cadillac Seville, girl
I got a Mazarati too

I wear diamonds on my fingers
I got a couple on my toes
I wear the finest perfume money can buy
It keeps me smellin' like a rose

If you wonder how I do it
There's just one simple rule

I'm just cool, oh, oh, honey
Baby, can't you see?
Girl, I'm so cool
Ain't nobody bad like me?

COOL
What's that spell? COOL

I might dine in San Francisco
Dance all night in Rome
I go any freakin' place I want to
And my Lear jet brings me home

I got ladies by the dozens
I got money by the ton
Just ain't nobody better
Heaven knows that I'm the one

And it's all because of something
That I didn't learn in school

I'm just cool, cool, cool, cool
Honey, baby, can't you see?
Girl, I'm so cool, cool, cool, cool
Ain't nobody bad like me?

Sing it, baby, COOL
What's that spell? COOL
That spells cool
Cool, cool, cool, cool
Cool, cool, cool, cool

What time is it? Cool

Listen baby, it takes a lot of lovin'
And a little money to be a friend of mine
But baby, if you know how to shake that thing
I'll try to squeeze a little time

'Cause I make love, love every mornin'
To who's ever by my side
'Cause you might say that I'm a nymphomaniac
But it keeps me satisfied

When I look into the mirror
It just tells me something I already know

I'm so cool, cool, cool, cool
Honey, baby, can't you see?
Girl, I'm so cool, cool, cool, cool
Ain't nobody bad like me?

Sing it, COOL
What's that spell? COOL
What time is it? Four
Well, I'm so cool, cool
Girl, I'm so cool

Band

COOL, COOL, cool, that's right
I'm cooler than Santa Claus, baby
Oh, um hum, ain't nobody bad like me
Somebody pinch me, I must be dreamin'
I know that's right

'Cause there ain't nobody bad like me
What time is it?
Is it time to get my hair done yet?
I said, what time is it?

Time to just walk and shake my head
I'm cool till I'm dead
Enough has been said, come on baby
Let's go to bed

Everybody, walk, shake my head
Cool till I'm dead
Enough has been said, let's go to bed

When I look into the mirror
It just tells me something I already know
I'm so cool, there ain't nobody bad like me?
I'm so cool, I said, ain't nobody bad like me?

All together now, COOL
What's that spell? COOL

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Band? Yes
Anybody hot? No
You know why? Why?
'Cause we're cool, cool

Yes, no, why? Cool
Yes, no, why? Cool
Yes, no, why? Cool
Oh, I'm so cool

Source: added to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUUerzO5W8A by Earl Robinson, 2016

****
SHOWCASE VIDEOS
Example #1: Morris Day & The Time - Cool - 01/30/82 - Capitol Theatre (OFFICIAL)



Music Vault, Published on Jul 8, 2014

Morris Day & The Time - Cool

Recorded Live: 1/30/1982 - Capitol Theatre (Passaic, NJ)

****
Example #2: The Time - Cool parts I and II



Gene Splicer, Published on Jan 24, 2015

Morris day and the motha f&&kin* time!

Vinyl 45 recording
-snip-
*The phrase "motha f&&kin" [usually fully spelled out] is a superlative that is often used for The Time band.

***
Example #3: The Time - Cool & Get It Up



beatnic, Published on Jun 20, 2015
Cool + Get it up
+ Zoom - Saturday Saturday Night

****
Example #4: Cool - Morris Day & The Time



Chris Bazos, Published on Aug 4, 2016

Released 1981
Format 7" single

****
Example #5: The Time - Cool (1981)



BeyeZee, Published on Sep 18, 2016
-snip-
This video's summary statement is from the Wikipedia page for the Time [Cool] which is excerpted above.

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S COMMENTS
Based on my direct experiences and my informal research, the vernacular word "cool" has changed among African Americans and perhaps among other Americans, and others from the meaning "self-possessed, "calm", "unruffled", "laid back" to being "great", "hip", "awesome", to a term that means that something that is/was said or done is [or someone is] "alright, "okay", "acceptable".

I also think that when African Americans changed the vernacular usage/meaning of the word "cool" (and other vernacular words that we created) when that word is appropriated by White Americans. That word is then replaced by another (or other) vernacular terms and only used by African Americans to evoke, represent, and/or pay homage to those artists and those "old school" times (such as in YouTube video discussion threads about The Time's and Prince's song "Cool".)

My position is that African Americans [and perhaps also other Americans] no longer routinely use the vernacular word "cool" as a superlative. I think that since at least the beginning 2000s, if not earlier, African Americans replaced the vernacular word "cool" (meaning "great", "hip", "awesome") and some other similarly defined African American originated superlative words/phrases such as "bad", "hip", and "hot" with "He [or it] is the sh&t" (usually with that word's full spelling) and such vernacular terms has "It [or he] is fire [fiyah]", "He [or it] is sick", and "He's a beast".

With regard to what I think is the largely retired use of the vernacular word "cool" as a superlative among African Americans, after reading a number of YouTube discussion threads of the Time's and Prince's performances of the song "Cool", it seems that African Americans ad others used/use certain adverbs with the vernacular word "cool" and not others (for instance, "real" and not "really").

I plan to publish other pancocojams posts that showcase African American music examples of the vernacular word "cool". Those posts will be identified by clicking the "vernacular use of the word cool" tag below.

****
SELECTED COMMENTS FROM DISCUSSION THREADS FOR THE TIME'S PERFORMANCE OF "COOL"
Here are selected comments that include the vernacular use of "cool" from the discussion threads for these five featured YouTube examples. Additional comments are also quoted that include more contemporary African American vernacular terms that have the same superlative meaning as the word "cool".

These comments are given in relative chronological order with the oldest comments given first except for replies. They are numbered for referencing purposes only.

Note that I only use partial spelling of profanity on this pancocojams blog to help ensure that its content is accessible in schools and other public institutions. The amended spelling for profanity [even if the intended meaning is complimentary] is noted by an asterisk.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to imply that all the YouTube commenters who are quoted in this post are African Americans. However, based on the photographs of the commenters a large number of these commenters are Black.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1f7YMIozwI

(given above as Showcase Video #1)

2014
1.Winning Lane
"Just 2KOOL"
-snip-
"Just too cool"

**
Michael Alexander
"Morris was too cool back in the day! LOL"

**
mdmten
"Morris is always clean!!! felt good to see brothers clean to the T"

****
2016
Dean Hutchins
"Wow... a clip of the original band members playing the full, extended version live. NOW THAT'S COOL!!!! LOL"

****
From
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUUerzO5W8A
[given as Showcase Video #2 above]

2015
1. Leann Buggs
"Old school classic. Still the sh&t!*"

**
2. Apollo Mercury
"This song is so badass !"

**
3. Shedon Chambliss
"he was dam sure cool"
-snip-
I think this comment is in reference to Prince.

**
2016
4. first40 joe
"the best part of the song is left out! near the end there's a call and response....band? yeah. anyone hot? no. you know why? why. because we're cool."

**
5. Mario York
"dope joint......that groove, tho. lol!!"
-snip-
"dope joint" = very good song

**
6. Kurtis Gardner
"damn, those were the days'; I thought that THE TIME was the 6 coolest dressed brothers' that I've ever seen in my life!! Their sound was incredible!!!"

**
7. Newpower Generation
"Cool! Prince Put this song together for a new band he put together called the Time. His former drummer became the lead star to The Time. The music and the backround vocals are from Prince. I was in GRADE SCHOOL when this song hit. I think I was in 9th grade. I would have song this too you and showed off as if I was the sh&t*. LMFAO!!!! I would have."
-snip-
"Cool!" in the beginning of that sentence probably means "That was cool." or "This is cool".

****
2016
8. kevin jones
"this song fits his description he is definitely cool"

**
9. Chan Harper
"23 are uncool."
-snip-
This comment refers to the number of people who gave a thumbs down to this video.

****
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_esr6Vh148
[Given as Video Example #3]

2015
1. TBC1109
"its pretty cool to hear voice of PRINCE and dont see him ( guess i gotta go to dr)"

****
2016
2. Post Toastee
"Bit&hing set. Would've been a little better if they'd just played it live. We all know they were one of the baddest live acts."

****
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXyB59W5g5E
[given as Video Example #4 above]

2017
Sharon Zamarka
"Worked with a cute lil blonde blue eyed boy-he had to go up in the boiling hot attic-called up to him; "hey is it hot up there? " and that funny kid said."no"why" cause I'm cool". Will love this song forever!!!✌💜"

**
Ken Jeter
"I drink kool aid ,not haterade.Morris Day,the king of 😎"cool"......DA 903 king approved this message."

****
From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuSKqhfeknc
[given as Video Example #5 above]

2016
1. King T Yomama
"Great band and great song. The video.....not real cool."

**
2. Vaughn Baskin
"Now that's The Time's 1st ever music video, can you dig that my Cooley Cool Cool cats?"

**
3. John Omar Larnell Adams
"Funny, funky and a cool video."

****
2017
4. JERRY HAMILTON
"This cut bang!"
-snip-
"cut" = song (record track); "bang" = is great/ is the bomb

The vernacular word "bang" may have originated in Britain and not with African Americans.

**
2. wendileona
"Just to sCOOL ya'lls, The Time... was Prince's alter ego band right. Okay, cool. However, this band represents Black American youth establishing a path of success and confidence and success, up from the bootstraps determination. You can hear it in songs like 1983's '"Onedayi'mgonnabesomebody" and other songs like 'Donald Trump Black Version' where they're 'truth thinking' themselves out of poverty and becoming super working, good loving' papa, long striding, a real providing, money making, clothes off takin' GOOD MAN!! (if you don't get that Prince reference, you's not a real Prince fan!) Oh yeah! COOL! Now you know what Time it is! .::Modernaire"
-snip-
"Scool" = teach; share information

Okay, cool = okay, [that's] cool [I think this use of "cool" may meanss "That's all good"; "That's alright" instead of "That's great."

"Oh yeah! COOL!" = I think this means "That's great!"

****
This concludes Part II of this pancocojams series.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment